I am not feeling it

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Re: I am not feeling it

Post by drunkpirate66 »

jbfins wrote: June 8, 2017 1:11 pm The Jones Beach show is on my 41st Birthday. My kids (now 13 and 11) have basically demanded that I take them. My older daughter wants to go early and make a day of it "to see all the crazy people."

20+ years ago if you had told me that at 41 I would have to be dragged to a Jimmy Buffett concert by my kids, I would have asked you what you were smoking and where can I get it.
20 years from now your kids will be saying, "If you had told me when I was a teenager that I would be dragging my retirement age dad to a Jimmy Buffett concert . . . I would have asked how the f**k is Jimmy still doing Fins at 90!"

The hole in that logic isn't that Jimmy will be touring at 90. Its that retiring at 61 will be considered an extreme luxury. Either way, I'll do a shot or two with you at Jones Beach.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

conched wrote: June 9, 2017 9:04 am
Bucarader wrote: June 8, 2017 7:52 pm I take back everything I said. It ended up being packed and was a really good show.

Thanks, Bubba!
It was a wonderful show.
We enjoyed every bit of it

Yes, Thank YOU, Jimmy!!
And we got to hear "Tin Cup Chalice." After 18 shows we finally got to hear that song in Houston. I posted something to this effect on the "Songs You Want To Hear Live" thread earlier in the Spring. Perhaps 'Jim Buffett' lurks and listened to us? At any rate, it really fired me up and we had a great time.

I know I'll be back again next year. And I'll do a shot with anyone!

|\s up!
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
andygradel75
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by andygradel75 »

I can't wait to take my 9 and 6 y/o daughters to this year's show in Camden... My wife and I have given them a healthy dose of Radio Margaritaville over the past few years and think it'll be a perfect first show for them.

So, I'm definitely feeling it... but the set list has nothing to do with it... all about looking forward to a shared experience. :)
Andy Gradel
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

My daughter is 3, and last night was her fourth show. She loves going and enjoys the music. She even knows the words to many of the songs already.

Take your kids! They will love it!
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Bucarader wrote: June 9, 2017 12:30 pm My daughter is 3, and last night was her fourth show. She loves going and enjoys the music. She even knows the words to many of the songs already.

Take your kids! They will love it!
We took the grandkeet!! ;) ;)
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

andygradel75 wrote: June 9, 2017 12:17 pm I can't wait to take my 9 and 6 y/o daughters to this year's show in Camden... My wife and I have given them a healthy dose of Radio Margaritaville over the past few years and think it'll be a perfect first show for them.

So, I'm definitely feeling it... but the set list has nothing to do with it... all about looking forward to a shared experience. :)
Yes! That's what it's all about. Having an almost perfect setlist with our personal favorites in it just adds to the experience.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I have been saying for years that before its all said and done - he needs to do a "rarities" tour. He owes it to himself. Yes, you may avoid the mass party crowd and will sell to smaller venues, but I bet those shows would sell out very quickly because all the true phans would come out of the woodwork. I can say for myself I would go to at least 3 shows if he did that. Name it "Songs You May Not Know By Heart" The Rarities Tour!

I am probably one of the biggest Jimmy phans around but my biggest grip with him sometimes is that he doesn't give himself enough credit for all of his songs. And, as some mentioned here, I really do get WHY he plays the covers, and the big 12. People, who are the majority at the shows, come to hear those songs. Even the group I take every year - may know a few gems because of me but they are there to hear the big hits and like the covers. As mentioned somewhere on this thread, people go NUTS for BEG. He plays for the masses and every so often will throw a gem in but really before its all said and done, i Think he deserves to have a smaller venue tour with no hits. He owes it to himself IMO.

But, i did think the show sounded good from Frisco. The medley is cool.

Fins UP
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
Congobill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Craft Beer

Post by Congobill »

I wish he would do a rarities tour but I don't think he ever will. He doesn't seem to have any interest in it. As I said earlier in the thread, I think he genuinely feels he's serving his fans, and the Margaritaville brand, best by doing what he's doing, which is touring every year and playing a more or less cookie cutter set list of 90% the same material. I wish it was different but, hey, it certainly looks like he's still having a lot of fun performing. He's not getting my money anymore for live shows but I don't think he's too worried about that. If he did do a small venue "rarities" tour I'd probably follow him from town to town and see as many shows as I could.
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

If he did some rarities shows they would probably be in small venues and tix $200 to $250 each.
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 »

FinsUp6835 wrote: June 12, 2017 12:39 pm I have been saying for years that before its all said and done - he needs to do a "rarities" tour. He owes it to himself. Yes, you may avoid the mass party crowd and will sell to smaller venues, but I bet those shows would sell out very quickly because all the true phans would come out of the woodwork. I can say for myself I would go to at least 3 shows if he did that. Name it "Songs You May Not Know By Heart" The Rarities Tour!

I am probably one of the biggest Jimmy phans around but my biggest grip with him sometimes is that he doesn't give himself enough credit for all of his songs. And, as some mentioned here, I really do get WHY he plays the covers, and the big 12. People, who are the majority at the shows, come to hear those songs. Even the group I take every year - may know a few gems because of me but they are there to hear the big hits and like the covers. As mentioned somewhere on this thread, people go NUTS for BEG. He plays for the masses and every so often will throw a gem in but really before its all said and done, i Think he deserves to have a smaller venue tour with no hits. He owes it to himself IMO.

But, i did think the show sounded good from Frisco. The medley is cool.

Fins UP
I could do without ever having to hear Brown Eyed Girl again, although I like it a lot more towards the end of the set than at the beginning. Most of the time it's the second song of the night.

Honestly though, the rarities kill the energy at the show. At Chicago in 2014 we got He Went to Paris, and a majority of the audience was talking loudly amongst themselves to the point where it was as loud as the music. Havana Daydreaming was also part of the set, and people seemed to be bored with it.

When the Key West setlist show was voted on a few years ago, all of the hits made the cut. It's what the people want. We all have a laundry list of rarities we'd like to hear, but just because I'd be jacked up for They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More doesn't mean the other 99% of the audience would love it too.