Important Message regarding Concert Recordings!!!

Trade bootlegs and get help recording shows

Moderator: SMLCHNG

urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Important Message regarding Concert Recordings!!!

Post by urlcenter »

This message is to remind all who download concert recordings from this site and or the jokelben server on pCloud of the following important information:

Concert recordings in both audio format which are provided by Sunlover and Video format which are provided by both Sunlover and Coasterghost here on Buffettnews are provided freely for all Jimmy Buffett fans to download and enjoy and also to have lasting memories of shows you might have attended. Sunlover, Coasterghost and myself have spent many hours and done a lot of work to keep the jokelben server up running and as a result it is has become the largest online archive of Jimmy Buffett live recordings. Neither myself, Sunlover, or Coasterghost profit in any way financially from our efforts in making Buffett concert recordings available. For that matter, Jimmy Buffett himself offers both the audio and video broadcasts of his concert free to his fans and he himself does not profit from doing this.

Yesterday (8/29/17) I discovered that 2 Margaritaville TV video recordings of two different Jimmy Buffett concerts are being sold on Ebay. One is the 2016 Chicago Show which is being sold for 29.99 and the other was a DVD/CD set of the 2017 Tampa Show which which was selling for close to $40. Both DVD's were home burned DVD-R's not not regular retail DVD's. The source for the the video recordings is being looked into by Sunlover to determine if the seller recorded the video themselves or if they created the DVD-R's using either Sunlover or Coasterghost's video captures of the live Margaritaville TV broadcasts.

This part of Buffettnews is called "Concert Trading" and it was established so as to allow Buffett fans to TRADE copies of concerts freely and get help in learning how to record shows for their own personal use. Concert recordings provided here not provided for others to profit from via selling them on sites such as Ebay or other places. Again Neither myself, Sunlover, or Coasterghost profit in any way financially from our efforts in making Buffett concert recordings available to all who want to download them.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that DVD's such as the ones being sold on EBay are considered to be unauthorized by either Jimmy Buffett or his management team and such unauthorized releases being sold will get the attention of Jimmy's legal eagles. Once that happens it could mean the end of jokelben and all of the freely available live Jimmy Buffett music contained on the server. If that happens it will be the end of a wonderful and fabulous resource for Jimmy Buffett fans.

Once more I must state the following: Neither myself, Sunlover, or Coasterghost profit in any way financially from our efforts in making Buffett concert recordings available to all who want to download them. We do what we do out of our fandom and affection for Jimmy and his music we do not want see that tarnished because someone who may not be acting the best of Parrothead manners and tradition.

Again concert recordings posted here on Buffettnews are not made available to profit from other than profiting from enjoying the music of Jimmy and The CRB
Last edited by urlcenter on September 9, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SunLover
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: The next show I capture
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Important Message regarding Concert Recordings!!!

Post by SunLover »

I sent messages to both sellers of the auctions mentioned above regarding video quality. I asked if they could post screenshots of the videos to try to determine if they were pulled from the Jokelben and/or Mega sources.

Me: "Can you please post some screenshots of the video quality? Thanks."

Seller of Chicago show: "I'm sorry, the only information that I have is included in the item description."
Seller of WPB show: "All the video quality is professional".

Neither seller provided any screenshots. One auction ended with no bids, the other is active for another 17 days, currently with no bids.

I would like to add these guidelines regarding the use of Jokelben:
  • Any content downloaded from Jokelben or the FTP site SHOULD NOT be offered for resale in any format. This includes, but is not limited to, physical media including Optical Discs (CD, DVD, Blu-ray), flash drives, SD cards or similar flash media, hard drives or SSDs. This also includes mirror download sites that require any form of payment to access the downloads. While Jokelben can’t be declared the “official source” of JB content, we believe it is the most complete and safest source to download the content.
  • DO NOT purchase any shows that are posted on ebay or other auction or “for sale” sites. This just supports the seller’s efforts of making a profit from content that was originally free of charge. JB has been streaming his shows on RM and more recently on Marg TV at no charge and they should always remain free. If anyone has a rare show that is not available on Jokelben and would like to freely share it in the true spirit of Parrotheads, please PM me here and we can arrange an upload.
  • Jokelben content may be shared freely with friends (for example, those who may not have good internet connectivity), as long as no money is exchanged for the share.
  • Videos should not be posted to youtube, vimeo, or any other media streaming site. It is the decision of Marg TV to offer these shows for on-demand streaming. While I cannot issue any takedown requests for posted videos, remember that it can attract the attention of, as urlcenter put it, Jimmy's legal eagles.
  • As urlcenter mentioned above, I have not received any payment for providing the shows. I have been offered payment for labor, server hosting, etc, but have never accepted any such payment. (I have been offered a number of beers and cheeseburgers, but have not collected on that yet) :wink: I can assure you that Coasterghost has also not accepted any payment for his contributions as well. Urlcenter has done a lot of work helping to maintain the Jokelben content and has also not accepted any payment for that work.
The good thing is in any of its versions, Jokelben and my FTP have never received any takedown requests from JB's people. With that in mind and thinking of all the shoutout mentions BN has received on Radio Marg, I'm sure Jimmy's people know that we offer the shows for download, both audio and now video. Let's keep our collection safe from any takedown threats and respect all that Jimmy and his people have allowed us to do for so many years.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

Excellent comments Sunlover and good guidelines for the use of material on jokelben 2.0 as I said we don't want to lose a resource like jokelben
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

I'm sure I speak for all BNrs when I say how much we all appreciate everything Sunlover, Coasterghost, and urlcenter do for us! I am always amazed (freakin' amazed!) at how quickly Sunlover has the most recent concert available for replay. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

SeattleParrotHead wrote: August 30, 2017 3:27 pm I'm sure I speak for all BNrs when I say how much we all appreciate everything Sunlover, Coasterghost, and urlcenter do for us! I am always amazed (freakin' amazed!) at how quickly Sunlover has the most recent concert available for replay. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
agree. I'm guessing it can't be someone from BN. Why would we jeopardies all the hard work you guys do. I haven't even burned what I've downloaded . I have them saved on my computer , tablet and phone ( so I can listen at the gym). The only ones I've downloaded , are shows I've attended. I need to download the KW show though , because that was unique , as far as the set list.
SunLover
Here We Are

Post by SunLover »

TommyBahama wrote: August 31, 2017 9:58 am
SeattleParrotHead wrote: August 30, 2017 3:27 pm I'm sure I speak for all BNrs when I say how much we all appreciate everything Sunlover, Coasterghost, and urlcenter do for us! I am always amazed (freakin' amazed!) at how quickly Sunlover has the most recent concert available for replay. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
agree. I'm guessing it can't be someone from BN. Why would we jeopardies all the hard work you guys do. I haven't even burned what I've downloaded . I have them saved on my computer , tablet and phone ( so I can listen at the gym). The only ones I've downloaded , are shows I've attended. I need to download the KW show though , because that was unique , as far as the set list.
I'm also pretty sure it is not someone from here and I apologize if it looks like we were implying that it was. Since Jokelben is heavily mentioned throughout BN and the Concert Trading forum is frequently visited, we wanted to start here just to let people know about the selling issue and to not support their efforts.

Also, after you download the shows, you can save the files to whatever compatible device you wish (not responsible for overloading the device's storage capacity :wink: ) or burn to CD.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

this just makes me angry!!!!!!!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

[smilie=superkewl.gif]
Well stated!
[smilie=superkewl.gif]
Thanks Again!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

SunLover wrote: August 31, 2017 12:32 pm
TommyBahama wrote: August 31, 2017 9:58 am
I'm also pretty sure it is not someone from here and I apologize if it looks like we were implying that it was. Since Jokelben is heavily mentioned throughout BN and the Concert Trading forum is frequently visited, we wanted to start here just to let people know about the selling issue and to not support their efforts.

Also, after you download the shows, you can save the files to whatever compatible device you wish (not responsible for overloading the device's storage capacity :wink: ) or burn to CD.
I pick and choose the shows , considering some are the same. Haven't burned any to disc. Selling or pirating is so illegal , and you would hope/think people would know or have the common sense not to jeopardies what you do for us.
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

Thanks for calling our attention to this activity. Let's all do what we can to not let anyone we know support any of these folks on eBay in any form or fashion.

I appreciate all y'all do, and please don't let these pirates discourage you from your passion.

With that being said, it's been a hellova week in the Texas Coastal Bend. We are all ok in Corpus Christi, but some folks have not been so fortunate. We are still tryin' to reason with hurricane season.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
Martyritaville
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Martyritaville »

Makes me angry, too. :evil:

Well spoken, everyone - and thanx again to you providers who preserve this special music for people who "get it". :D
A most mysterious calling harbour
So far, but yet, so near
Where I see the day
When my hair's full gray
and I finally...disappear. BUT NOT YET!!

urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

Update 9/9/17

There is another questionable Jimmy Buffett DVD being sold on Ebay this one is Jimmy's 1983 appearance on Austin City Limits.

We have both audio and video from this show on jokelben with the video being a recently upload in last few weeks thanks to Sunlover. This is now the second DVD of this show to surface on Ebay and neither DVD includes Jimmy's complete 1983 ACL performance.

While it cannot be determined for certain the source video for these DVD's came from the jokelben server, the possibility cannot be ignored.

It is disheartening to think that such a wonderful resource as the jokelben server maybe being used to make a quick buck!

Urlcenter
tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

urlcenter wrote: September 9, 2017 1:50 pm Update 9/9/17

There is another questionable Jimmy Buffett DVD being sold on Ebay this one is Jimmy's 1983 appearance on Austin City Limits.

We have both audio and video from this show on jokelben with the video being a recently upload in last few weeks thanks to Sunlover. This is now the second DVD of this show to surface on Ebay and neither DVD includes Jimmy's complete 1983 ACL performance.

While it cannot be determined for certain the source video for these DVD's came from the jokelben server, the possibility cannot be ignored.

It is disheartening to think that such a wonderful resource as the jokelben server maybe being used to make a quick buck!

Urlcenter
Been watching this thread with a heavy heart. Is there anyway you guys could block or put a password on jokelben to keep the sh!theads from being able to do this & just have us pm you for the code to access? I am the most non-tech person ever so I'm sure you would have done this if you could but it was just a thought.
I've never downloaded any of the shows but your efforts are truly appreciated!
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

tailgaitingph wrote: September 9, 2017 2:11 pm

Urlcenter
Been watching this thread with a heavy heart. Is there anyway you guys could block or put a password on jokelben to keep the sh!theads from being able to do this & just have us pm you for the code to access? I am the most non-tech person ever so I'm sure you would have done this if you could but it was just a thought.
First and foremost jokelben is not going away anytime soon.

As to protecting the content that falls to Sunlover as he is now the individual operating the jokelben server (actually known as jokelben 2.0). Whether or not he can password protect the server is determined by whatever security options his hosting company offers. Also at the moment there is no definitive proof that jokelben was the source as the Ebay members are not giving Sunlover a lot of information.
SunLover
Here We Are

Post by SunLover »

urlcenter wrote: September 9, 2017 3:59 pm
tailgaitingph wrote: September 9, 2017 2:11 pm

Urlcenter
First and foremost jokelben is not going away anytime soon.

As to protecting the content that falls to Sunlover as he is now the individual operating the jokelben server (actually known as jokelben 2.0). Whether or not he can password protect the server is determined by whatever security options his hosting company offers. Also at the moment there is no definitive proof that jokelben was the source as the Ebay members are not giving Sunlover a lot of information.
^^^ Very true! Jokelben is definitely not going anywhere! (more on that later)...

The download link can be protected with a password. The FTP site could be protected with a user/pass logon combo, but that would require a different hosting plan, which costs more $$. For now, I don't plan on adding a password to Jokelben 2.0 or the FTP. We have been doing the file hosting with free access for many years. The content has been accessible for so long, I'm sure there may be some mirror downloads out there. Just know that you can safely download from Jokelben without any fear of viruses or other malware contained within the files.

I believe if Jimmy or his people wanted to take down our site, he would have done so already with a take down request. If he wants to go after the ebay sellers, that is up to him to initiate that process. Since the selling has been going on for some time though, it seems unlikely they will do that.

I wish we could get an idea on if the DVD images were taken from the server. The images I created all have distinct navigation menus for the tracks, so if we did see one of the seller's DVDs, we would know right away if it was taken from here or their own creation. The only way to verify them is to purchase them from the sellers and we definitely don't want to do that!
cm22lmr
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: "Lone Palm"
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Irish whiskey

Post by cm22lmr »

Is there a way to email the winner of the auction & ask questions about the menu set-up once he/she watches it? If it was posed carefully it could easily seem like a legit question.

It may not work, but I haven't used eBay for over a decade, so I don't know.
SunLover
Here We Are

Post by SunLover »

cm22lmr wrote: September 16, 2017 4:48 pm Is there a way to email the winner of the auction & ask questions about the menu set-up once he/she watches it? If it was posed carefully it could easily seem like a legit question.

It may not work, but I haven't used eBay for over a decade, so I don't know.
Probably not. The bidders' names on the auctions are partially hidden. They appear, for example, as A****B, so we could not determine the names. Good idea, tho...
jfaust420
Favorite Buffett Song: Stranded on a Sandbar
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by jfaust420 »

Hopefully things quiet down on eBay. i just checked and didnt see any sign of any Buffett dvds that werent official and no links being sold either.
Hopefully nthey either got caught or moved on to better things.

If it stays quiet how long will jokelben be locked down? not pushin just curious and anxious to restore a lost drives contents.

Anyways Thanks for all you guys do, I may have just made my profile but ive been using jokelben for about 5 years now. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=upyeah.gif]
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

jfaust420 wrote: September 20, 2017 9:14 pm Hopefully things quiet down on eBay. i just checked and didnt see any sign of any Buffett dvds that werent official and no links being sold either.
Hopefully nthey either got caught or moved on to better things.

If it stays quiet how long will jokelben be locked down? not pushin just curious and anxious to restore a lost drives contents.

Anyways Thanks for all you guys do, I may have just made my profile but ive been using jokelben for about 5 years now. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=upyeah.gif]
The length of time of the lock down is entirely up to Sunlover as he owns jokelben 2.0 outright and he and only will decide when the lock down is lifted. Ebay is being watched very closely for anything that could be remotely connected to jokelben and yes there are a couple of unauthorized DVD's currently being sold on Ebay
jfaust420
Favorite Buffett Song: Stranded on a Sandbar
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by jfaust420 »

I totally understand that! I wasnt trying to push Sunlover or anyone, just curious if its going to be a tempory "outtage" or an extended one. i guess there is no way of knowing for sure.
Just a shame that "bootleggers" always end up ruining trading sites etc cause no traders want to be associated with it for good cause.
Its also the reason alot of bands/preformers have such a distaste for unauthorized material......its great stuff when its free for all and passed around for fans but it HURTS everyone involved as doon as someone is taking money for something they didnt create!

Jimmy doesnt seem to mind the FREE trading of his music(i assume since he airs every show on RM and MTV free of charge)

Again Thanks for all your efforts