Moderator: SMLCHNG

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: Fenway 2018 (ugh)

Post by lime rickie »

GW, Meadowbrook and Darlings are all still open on Sat 8/11.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

lime rickie wrote: March 11, 2018 9:21 am GW, Meadowbrook and Darlings are all still open on Sat 8/11.
Works for me :lol:
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

tailgaitingph wrote: March 11, 2018 3:23 pm
lime rickie wrote: March 11, 2018 9:21 am GW, Meadowbrook and Darlings are all still open on Sat 8/11.
I'm starting to think Bristow may be my best option this year. :o

PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

Is all of the negativity over Fenway just generic stadium show stuff (e.g., worse acoustics, no tailgating, overpriced, etc.) and that Great Woods has such a great Parrothead reputation, or is there something specifically annoying about Fenway?

Just a humble Midwesterner, so I wasn't sure. :)
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

PeoriaTom wrote: March 12, 2018 7:22 pm Is all of the negativity over Fenway just generic stadium show stuff (e.g., worse acoustics, no tailgating, overpriced, etc.) and that Great Woods has such a great Parrothead reputation, or is there something specifically annoying about Fenway?

This is just my own personal opinion but I think its more disappointment that we don't get to tailgate at Great Woods. Great Woods is one of the best places to party for Jimmy every year he has played there. Although it pretty tame recently compared to what it used to be back when he played 4 shows in a week there, its still legendary and something a lot of people look forward to every year. I know I do. Its just so much d@mn fun. Not sure how else to describe it. Fenway will be a really cool night for many people who go see Jimmy this year. But an hour or two at a bar ordering $7 Bud lights and $10 shots on a Thursday night around Fenway just can't, in my opinion, compare to a full day at Great Woods and a post concert after party, typically, with fire works, good food, and good people.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

drunkpirate66 wrote: March 12, 2018 7:33 pm
PeoriaTom wrote: March 12, 2018 7:22 pm Is all of the negativity over Fenway just generic stadium show stuff (e.g., worse acoustics, no tailgating, overpriced, etc.) and that Great Woods has such a great Parrothead reputation, or is there something specifically annoying about Fenway?

This is just my own personal opinion but I think its more disappointment that we don't get to tailgate at Great Woods. Great Woods is one of the best places to party for Jimmy every year he has played there. Although it pretty tame recently compared to what it used to be back when he played 4 shows in a week there, its still legendary and something a lot of people look forward to every year. I know I do. Its just so much d@mn fun. Not sure how else to describe it. Fenway will be a really cool night for many people who go see Jimmy this year. But an hour or two at a bar ordering $7 Bud lights and $10 shots on a Thursday night around Fenway just can't, in my opinion, compare to a full day at Great Woods and a post concert after party, typically, with fire works, good food, and good people.
Word.

I'm a relative newbie, just since 2009. It's a fantastic group of people, the BEST tailgate chef and hostess (Dave & Barb), great pre-concert scene with an enthusiastic pool party and band at a couple of raggedy azz motels, and post-concert activity, for those who can make it - still on my bucket list - on Cape Cod.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Plus I haven't been to Great Woods since 2012 and that alone means it isn't as good as it used to be. Everything's better when the HOG's there. 8)
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

LIPH wrote: March 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Plus I haven't been to Great Woods since 2012 and that alone means it isn't as good as it used to be. Everything's better when the HOG's there. 8)
That, too. Goes without saying.

PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

Yeah, I have only been lucky enough to see him at the venues listed in my signature below. I really hope I can make it to what I've deemed Parrothead fandom's de facto "Big Three," where Jimmy seems to have had the most loyal fans for the longest period of time and/or a special connection that makes the stop especially unique - Cincinnati, Atlanta and Mansfield. It sounds and looks like an absolute blast!
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!
tailgaitingph
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

lime rickie wrote: March 12, 2018 6:23 pm
tailgaitingph wrote: March 11, 2018 3:23 pm
I'm starting to think Bristow may be my best option this year. :o
You should - it's shaping up to be a really good crew :pirate:
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
SharkSquadJack
Favorite Buffett Song: Love and Luck, Volcano, and many others
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by SharkSquadJack »

I think the issue is that Buffet for many in the New England area is an all inclusive event. With the tailgating its culture, interaction, making new friends, it is an event onto itself. Which then leads to one of the most energetic concert experiences possible.

At Fenway you have all the things that make it almost anti-Buffet. Highly controlled, not relaxing in terms of being in dark Fenway, with lots of security and corridors.

People literately bring the beach to Xfinity Center (GW, TC, the place in Mansfield), it is just something special. You can also get non-Buffet fans to go to the tailgate and then to the concert and they are hooked. No new people could e convinced to go to the concert at Fenway.

If you live in Boston proper and are a huge Red Sox fan than sure I can see it.

If he did both the concert at Fenway and then the Weekend in Mansfield, I would probably do both shows. But if it is Fenway only no thanks. At that price, without the extras I personally feel I'd be better off seeing if he does a Honolulu concert end of year again. That is worth the spend. Boston is not.

Also "Buffett Live: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays" was recorded there which I love so it makes it extra special. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif]
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

SharkSquadJack wrote: March 13, 2018 3:41 pm I think the issue is that Buffet for many in the New England area is an all inclusive event. With the tailgating its culture, interaction, making new friends, it is an event onto itself. Which then leads to one of the most energetic concert experiences possible.

At Fenway you have all the things that make it almost anti-Buffet. Highly controlled, not relaxing in terms of being in dark Fenway, with lots of security and corridors.

People literately bring the beach to Xfinity Center (GW, TC, the place in Mansfield), it is just something special. You can also get non-Buffet fans to go to the tailgate and then to the concert and they are hooked. No new people could e convinced to go to the concert at Fenway.

If he did both the concert at Fenway and then the Weekend in Mansfield, I would probably do both shows. But if it is Fenway only no thanks. At that price, without the extras I personally feel I'd be better off seeing if he does a Honolulu concert end of year again. That is worth the spend. Boston is not.

Also "Buffett Live: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays" was recorded there which I love so it makes it extra special. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Buffett Live tues thurs sat was recorded from various venues
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

The all-inclusive experience is key, for me anyway. YMMV. I've seen Jimmy indoors at MSG and Mohegan Sun. Good shows but a completely different overall experience. Outdoor is always my preference. Saw him outdoors at the Garden State Arts Center way back in the day (I'm an oldster). Great experience but he stopped playing there years ago (decades ago?) either due to an issue with the venue or better to split the ticket sales between Camden/Philly and Jones Beach markets.

When we moved to New England in 2007 full time is about when I found Buffett News, lurking for a bit and then connecting with the GW crowd. Just a phenomenal group to spend a genuinely fun weekend with. Missed out on GW last year due babysitting an elderly relative in NJ for a few weeks. Bangor Darlings venue just didn't do it for me. Living now in Maine any concert will be a roadtrip/travel. My problem is that the overall GW experience, even with the dumpy motels, spoiled me. It is, quite simply, a great way to spend a great weekend with a bunch of friendly strangers or stranger friendlies. Every time. Beyond all that, Jimmy and the CRB always serve it up, so energized and glad to be there. Yes, the SYKBY and some covers. But some real gems, too. 'Into the Mystic' was just sublime a few years ago, and bonus experiencing that with Andrea. Sister Goldenhair's Folger coffee can bathroom tent. LOL Tonga Tam's bar set up. Working the menu and leftovers with Dave..."Oh, you have leftover duck? I have some leftover quesadillas. Let's do something with this." Meeting Sarge and the NH parrothead crowd and also those guys who came all the way from Kansas City to experience GW.

Truly one of the premier "full" JB experiences.

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

SharkSquadJack wrote: March 13, 2018 3:41 pm I think the issue is that Buffet for many in the New England area is an all inclusive event. With the tailgating its culture, interaction, making new friends, it is an event onto itself. Which then leads to one of the most energetic concert experiences possible.

I think this view is shared by 90+% of the JB & The CRB phans. Here in Detroit when the show was brought to the ballpark we were fortunate enough to at least have our downtown ballpark venue in an area where tailgating was still a very prominent part of the experience..and pretty much open well before noon....albeit more spread out than we would prefer. Still, the ballpark experience for a concert just can't match up with the sheds or even the arenas IMO.
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
BottleofRum
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Jimmy Buffett created the whole tailgating experience as part of his concerts, the CILCIA concert parking lot videos were a staple and helped fuel the legendary experience of tailgating for his concerts. Take away the tailgating and you have just a concert. Is he worth $125+ per ticket to hear 18-20 of 24 songs that he plays each year? I know a ticket broker who said as of now this show is tanking for sales. He pointed me to StubHub as an example were people are trying to sell tickets well below face value. There are hundreds of tickets listed for under $100, well below the lowest face value ticket available through Live Nation.
Last edited by BottleofRum on March 14, 2018 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote: March 14, 2018 10:33 am Jimmy Buffett created the whole tailgating experience as part of his concerts, the CILCIA concert parking lot videos were a staple and helped fueled the legendary experience of tailgating for his concerts. Take away the tailgating and you have just a concert. Is he worth $125+ per ticket to hear 18-20 of 24 songs that he plays each year? I know a ticket broker show said as of now this show is tanking for sales. He pointed me to StubHub as an example were people are trying to sell tickets well below face value. There are hundreds of tickets listed for under $100, well below the lowest face value ticket available through Live Nation.
I'll end up doing this show , only because ,the Jones Beach date doesn't work for me. I may also head down to the Cape after the show. I see The Beach Boys are scheduled for the Melody Tent that Sat. So , i'll s*** it up , get a ticket , when the prices for a seat in the front section becomes resonable. Deal with a bar tabs and Enjoy Buffett!!
BottleofRum
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Or just sneak nips into the bar... :lol:
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote: March 14, 2018 11:31 am Or just sneak nips into the bar... :lol:
True , but , i'd need a lot of pockets.
tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

BottleofRum wrote: March 14, 2018 10:33 am Jimmy Buffett created the whole tailgating experience as part of his concerts, the CILCIA concert parking lot videos were a staple and helped fuel the legendary experience of tailgating for his concerts. Take away the tailgating and you have just a concert. Is he worth $125+ per ticket to hear 18-20 of 24 songs that he plays each year? I know a ticket broker who said as of now this show is tanking for sales. He pointed me to StubHub as an example were people are trying to sell tickets well below face value. There are hundreds of tickets listed for under $100, well below the lowest face value ticket available through Live Nation.
EXACTLY! The past few years, I have paid $150 for a ticket, for the whole weekend...not just the show. The hassle of having to take the T to show and driving back to Maine after the show, certainly isn't worth the costs. I prefer to save my money and have an awesome time at MOTM.
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

GW, Meadowbrook and Darlings are all still open on Sat 8/11.