Escape to Margaritaville

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Escape to Margaritaville

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Obviously a lot of press lately for the Broadway play. I was reading a couple articles (not too many because I want to go to the show with an open mind) but this one guys line stood out to me.

The writer states : "In terms of story, the musical needs as much as Buffett's songs demand of the brain, which isn’t much."

To me, this guys just doesn't "get it" and fails to understand the many layers that many of Jimmy's songs take on. His songs are easy to digest and take in on the surface but if you look closely there are many deep layers which most people miss. Similar to a great novel.

The masses of people just don't get it.They never have. But, it doesn't surprise me because most people are not that bright :pirate: [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

Fins Up.

*my bad for missing an L in Ville on the Subject line.. Haven't had my coffee yet :)

Fixed it for ya' :)
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Escape to Margaritavile

Post by dnw »

I loved the play. I think you will like it. :D

Debbie
tropicalmindset
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH, Island, Boat Drinks, Growing Older, Bama Breeze, Last Mango
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Jack with a splash of coke

Re: Escape to Margaritavile

Post by tropicalmindset »

Of course up tight people who don't know how to relax won't enjoy it. They don't know how to have fun!

It's a great play, I even got myself the sound track CD when it came out and can't stop listening to it. I'm hoping it comes back to Chicago soon so I can go see it again. New York is a little far for me
2012 - Chicago (Tinley Park)
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Alpine Valley
2015 - Alpine Valley
2016 - Alpine Valley
2017 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
2018 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
2019 - Alpine Valley
2022 - Alpine Valley
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Re: Escape to Margaritaville

Post by BottleofRum »

I've been a Buffett fan since the early 90's when I went to my 1st show as a 17 year-old. I've seen JB in concert all over the country in excess of 80+ shows. I also like musicals and the theater scene, we go to a few Broadways shows each year but for whatever reason I have zero interest in seeing Escape to Margaritaville. I think I am caught up in this being a big Jimmy Buffett cover band concert.

Has anyone seen the musical? Any good?
Last edited by BottleofRum on March 16, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

The cast was on the Today Show a week or 2 ago and did 2 songs from the show. I never was much of a fan of the musical theater but if I still lived in NY I'm pretty sure I would find a way to avoid seeing this. There are so many other things to spend my entertainment dollars on, what sounds like a cheesy musical is pretty low on my list of priorities. Your mileage may vary.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I am not a huge musical theatre person either. And, I don't think many of the songs will sound as good as Jimmy because well that makes Jimmy, Jimmy. But, I am going in with an open mind and look at it as a celebration of his music.

I am looking forward to it. We also have a 2 month old here and a an Escape to Margaritaville in NYC for the day in May will be nice :D
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
Hendo23
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Hendo23 »

Saw it in Chicago back in November. Went in with minimal expectations, came out pleasantly surprised. It's a rather corny/cheesy plot, but the cast had great energy and were a lot of fun.

That said, I wouldn't pay top dollar to go see it. They were struggling to sell tickets, so they offered hundreds of prime seats at DEEPLY discounted prices. As in, we sat three rows in front of the stage for $29, a markdown from the earlier price of $160 per ticket. For $29, it was definitely worth it. For full price, I would have probably come away a bit disappointed.

Either way, it was a nice one night trip to the beach during the cold months of winter.
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

LIPH wrote: March 16, 2018 10:46 am The cast was on the Today Show a week or 2 ago and did 2 songs from the show. I never was much of a fan of the musical theater but if I still lived in NY I'm pretty sure I would find a way to avoid seeing this. There are so many other things to spend my entertainment dollars on, what sounds like a cheesy musical is pretty low on my list of priorities. Your mileage may vary.
I love theatre - I especially love musical theatre and saw my first Broadway show at age 11. From the few clips I've seen of this it looks like it was staged by a middle school. Not much more than a cheesy plot to try to tie together a bunch of yellow album songs. I'm actually a little embarrassed for him. I'm sure it would play better on a cruise ship or some smaller beach type venue. But it's not a fit for Broadway. Your mileage may vary.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

ScarletB wrote: March 16, 2018 6:51 pm
LIPH wrote: March 16, 2018 10:46 am The cast was on the Today Show a week or 2 ago and did 2 songs from the show. I never was much of a fan of the musical theater but if I still lived in NY I'm pretty sure I would find a way to avoid seeing this. There are so many other things to spend my entertainment dollars on, what sounds like a cheesy musical is pretty low on my list of priorities. Your mileage may vary.
I love theatre - I especially love musical theatre and saw my first Broadway show at age 11. From the few clips I've seen of this it looks like it was staged by a middle school. Not much more than a cheesy plot to try to tie together a bunch of yellow album songs. I'm actually a little embarrassed for him. I'm sure it would play better on a cruise ship or some smaller beach type venue. But it's not a fit for Broadway. Your mileage may vary.
Oof. Way harsh, Tai.

Musical theater is definitely not my thing, and I lived in Times Square for several years, just a few blocks from this theater. The only times we actually went were when out of town relatives wanted to see a show. Hendo's assessment is legit.

We're not all "parrotheads". Would love to see Jimmy do a Bruce-like show, on a chair, with a little back up and a lot of stories.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

lime rickie wrote: March 16, 2018 9:20 pm
Oof. Way harsh, Tai.

Musical theater is definitely not my thing, and I lived in Times Square for several years, just a few blocks from this theater. The only times we actually went were when out of town relatives wanted to see a show. Hendo's assessment is legit.

We're not all "parrotheads". Would love to see Jimmy do a Bruce-like show, on a chair, with a little back up and a lot of stories.

I’d much rather see “Buffett on Broadway” than the current musical. I really really really really really don’t like the soundtrack. I prefer “don’t stop the carnival” which he wrote songs around the book, this seems way to forced.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Really enjoyed the interview with Lin-Manuel Miranda. [smilie=coolup.gif]
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

txaggirl91
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Number of Concerts: 30

Post by txaggirl91 »

As a fan, I had low expectations when I went to see the musical in Houston. I ended up enjoying it. I liked how they intertwined song lyrics into the dialog. We kept looking at each other going "did you see what they did there?" I'm not for sure if the casual fan would catch that they did that.

Was it the best I had ever seen? No. Is it going to change the face of musical theater? No. Should you go see it and expect to escape reality for a couple of hours. Yes.

I don't think you can judge the soundtrack without the context of the show. When I hear it, I see the images of the play. It's a different take than when Jimmy sings it.

That's my 2 cents....
I must be wishing on someone else's star....
Jerm3462
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Jerm3462 »

I saw it Saturday night and it was great. I took a non parrothead, and she enjoyed as well. It was packed and standing ovation. Give it a try.

Also, Tin Cup Chalice, Breathe in Breathe Out Move On, Coast of Marseille, 5 o'clock Somewhere, License.To Chill, and others I can remember off hand are not yellow album.
Hendo23
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Hendo23 »

txaggirl91 wrote: March 20, 2018 1:07 pm As a fan, I had low expectations when I went to see the musical in Houston. I ended up enjoying it. I liked how they intertwined song lyrics into the dialog. We kept looking at each other going "did you see what they did there?" I'm not for sure if the casual fan would catch that they did that.

Was it the best I had ever seen? No. Is it going to change the face of musical theater? No. Should you go see it and expect to escape reality for a couple of hours. Yes.

I don't think you can judge the soundtrack without the context of the show. When I hear it, I see the images of the play. It's a different take than when Jimmy sings it.

That's my 2 cents....
I HATED hearing songs from the musical before I had seen it. After seeing the show, I now LOVE hearing them! Like you said, now when I hear them, I see images of the play!
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

I really enjoyed "Tales From Margaritaville" and thought "Where is Joe Merchant" was an excellent story. I also think that the writing he did for "Don't Stop The Carnival" was some of his best. He really brought those characters to life.

But "A Salty Piece of Land" did not do it for me and I have not even bothered to try and read "Swine Not."

In my opinion, Jimmy's creative process is always better the first time around.

Which is why I may not see the show. I just do not want to be let down. Plus, I've taken my kids to five Broadway shows so far. If the production does not compete with the heavy hitters out there, then is it really a Broadway Show? Many musicals come and go, and just because financial backers thought it would be a good investment to put this show into a theater (I am sure the potential liquor receipts had something to do with it) does not mean that it is worthy of being on Broadway. Heck, that is why there is a whole cottage industry called "Off Broadway."

I'll see how the ticket sales are over the next 6 - 8 weeks. That will be my indication if the show is good or not.
"Some people never find it..."
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

Cool hearing all these thoughts. I would like to see it & eventually will. My wife loves the theatre & so do my kids. We all love JB, so why not.

What I am growing tired of is RM shoving the cast/soundtrack down my throat every time I turn on RM & expect to hear good music (JB) I am accustomed too. I really am growing tired of hearing the musical soundtrack.
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
JonWalter
Favorite Buffett Song: margaritaville

Post by JonWalter »

The failing NY Times can not accept a “Jimmy Buffett” on Broadway. Just as they preferred Hugh Jackman over a very real Peter Allen.

Saw it and it was clear the audience loved it. Similar reaction to Come From Away. A lot of smiles on happy faces. It was a FUN FUN show. High energy, good music, funny gags and a very likable cast. Forget the published reviews, go see it and have a great time.
FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: APLA40
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Why, you buying???

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

Watched Volcano when the cast did it on Today Show.

It was wretched. I was embarrassed by it.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

https://nypost.com/2018/04/21/broadways ... ritaville/

Link above is to an article in yesterday's New York Post. Like I said, just because it is on Broadway does not mean it is a quality show. From other stuff I have read, it may not make it through the summer.
"Some people never find it..."
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

jbfins wrote: April 23, 2018 9:07 am https://nypost.com/2018/04/21/broadways ... ritaville/

Link above is to an article in yesterday's New York Post. Like I said, just because it is on Broadway does not mean it is a quality show. From other stuff I have read, it may not make it through the summer.
I have zero use for critics. I will be my own judge when I go see the show in a few weeks.