Sedona Arizona

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

creeky
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Re: Sedona Arizona

Post by creeky »

I did one of those off road jeep tours .... it was rough and bouncy - gotta watch the "girls" - it is painful :lol:

But AWESOME place!!
nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

We're back! Wow!

Sedona was beautiful....and hot. They were having some unusual weather for them for June and it was over 100 most days we were there. We did some hiking, a lot of driving. We took a Pink Jeep tour to some ruins.

My favorite was a short hike to V bar V site. There were all sorts designs drawn by ancient people on a cliff.

The last evening we were there we took a trail called Deadman's pass which was just lovely. Views everywhere you looked. We did it just before sunset when it was a little cooler.

We have decided we would like to see the area in April or so

We took side trip to the Grand Canyon. I'm not fond of heights and not terribly graceful in my walking so the place gave me the willies. (I was terrified for everyone's kids who were so close to unprotected dropoffs) But everyone should see it once.

The rest of Arizona that we saw was dry, dry, dry. We drove up from Phoenix. (Really, really hot) Everything was just dry grass, scrubby bushes and, near Phoenix, cool cactus. Not too far from Phoenix the cactus stopped and there was just endless dry grass and dirt. Every river/stream we passed over was dry. I think I need to see this area some other time of year. I have a friends who lives east of Phoenix in the winter and she says it is lovely.

As we got closer to Sedona I started thinking "we spent money to come HERE????" Even 20 miles from Sedona you have no inkling of what awaits. When you drive into Sedona it just takes your breath away. The place is drop dead gorgeous.

Hopefully I will get some photos off my new camers. As soon as I figure out how this one works. :P

I have to admit I was so delighted when we got home to all these trees, grass and flowers. I never appreciated how lush Michigan is.
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/
The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by The Lost Manatee »

If you are going to Phoenix, Tucson and other parts of the desert, shoot for February. As a rule, that tends to be when most of the desert plants bloom. It can be very pretty when all the cacti are blooming. If you see a pretty bloom, take a picture right then because they don't last long.

Glad you had lots of fun and sorry that it was so warm.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.
MammaBear
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by MammaBear »

We were in Tucson in February quite a few years ago. We went to the rodeo which is big in Tucson (schools closed, etc) and it wound up freezing rain, snowing and hailing! it got really cold!
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Digging up this old thread. Looking into the possibility of a trip to Sedona. Did Northern Arizona & the Grand Canyon back in the late 90's but unfortunately bypassed Sedona. Now in my early AARP years ( :lol: ) would like to maybe hunker down a bit in the Red Rock country of Sedona & enjoy some amenities & pool time while viewing the gorgeous scenery.
Would appreciate any more current info or recommendations out there regarding resorts or places to stay. Anything that may be labeled as can't miss or do items.

Thanks Gang!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
65pacecar
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40, CIL-CIA, Captain and the Kid, Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 41
Favorite Boat Drink: Lemonade (Non Drinker)

Post by 65pacecar »

Sedona is great, one thing to do is just ride around and look at the sites. Pink Jeep Tour is awesome, several packages to choose from, the Sunset tour is pretty amazing. Nearby Jerome is a great little town with a strong mining history and a great Burger place. If you have time a visit to Scottsdale is wonderful and a beautiful drive, if you visit Scottsdale go to Camel Back Mountain and also tour the Botanical Gardens. If you have more time make it to Tucson, the Plane Graveyard off the interstate is an amazing site plus a visit to the Saguaro Nations Forest is fun, beautiful place and amazing Sunsets. Many John Wayne Movies, Clint Eastwood Movies and TV shows such as Death Valley Days was shot there.
Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

65pacecar wrote: April 24, 2018 5:27 pm Sedona is great, one thing to do is just ride around and look at the sites. Pink Jeep Tour is awesome, several packages to choose from, the Sunset tour is pretty amazing. Nearby Jerome is a great little town with a strong mining history and a great Burger place. If you have time a visit to Scottsdale is wonderful and a beautiful drive, if you visit Scottsdale go to Camel Back Mountain and also tour the Botanical Gardens. If you have more time make it to Tucson, the Plane Graveyard off the interstate is an amazing site plus a visit to the Saguaro Nations Forest is fun, beautiful place and amazing Sunsets. Many John Wayne Movies, Clint Eastwood Movies and TV shows such as Death Valley Days was shot there.
Sounds awesome!! Any recommendations on places to stay? A home base if you will.........
65pacecar
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40, CIL-CIA, Captain and the Kid, Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 41
Favorite Boat Drink: Lemonade (Non Drinker)

Post by 65pacecar »

Dr.Corona wrote: May 1, 2018 8:47 am
65pacecar wrote: April 24, 2018 5:27 pm Sedona is great, one thing to do is just ride around and look at the sites. Pink Jeep Tour is awesome, several packages to choose from, the Sunset tour is pretty amazing. Nearby Jerome is a great little town with a strong mining history and a great Burger place. If you have time a visit to Scottsdale is wonderful and a beautiful drive, if you visit Scottsdale go to Camel Back Mountain and also tour the Botanical Gardens. If you have more time make it to Tucson, the Plane Graveyard off the interstate is an amazing site plus a visit to the Saguaro Nations Forest is fun, beautiful place and amazing Sunsets. Many John Wayne Movies, Clint Eastwood Movies and TV shows such as Death Valley Days was shot there.
Sounds awesome!! Any recommendations on places to stay? A home base if you will.........
Actually Scottsdale is a very central location and its where I usually stay, nice hotels, great restaurants. I usually stay at the Hilton Garden or Scottsdale Resort when visiting. Staying in Scottsdale puts you about 2 hours or so from both Sedona and Tucson with gorgeous drives either way (plus I love to drive and sight see). For a longer day trip you can make it to Joshua Tree in California and back, if you do that take the road through Wickenburg, AZ instead of I-10 all the way, you will pick up I-10 near the California border that way. Unique thing about Wickenburg it is one of the few places that the Saguaro Cactus and the Joshua Tree live near/next to each other, basically their habitats collide there. If you go in April the Botanical Gardens always has a Butterfly exhibit that is incredible, my wife wanted to see it but I think I liked it as much or more that she did. Also, certain times of year they have a festival in Old Scottsdale that is an Indian festival, it is pretty cool to attend. Old Scottsdale is fun to walk around, plus they have a great farmers market on some mornings.

If you stay in Scottsdale and drive to Sedona get up pretty early and drive the Beeline Highway up, doesn't take too much longer than the Interstate but the scenery is incredible plus you go through a few small towns that are neat to see.

Also, if you are into nice cars at all (Classic, exotics etc) visit the Pavillions in Scottsdale on Saturday night, huge cruise in, great cars and great people.

Pic of the Beeline Highway.
Attachments
bl.jpg
bl.jpg (128.09 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

Thanks for the response Pacecar.
Don't many folks hunker down in Sedona for 2-3-4 days and work from there? I guess it depends on your interests.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Another +vote from me for Scottsdale as home base. We day tripped Sedona from Scottsdale. Very easy and well worth it. Other easy day trips are Tortilla Flats, and also Taliesin West, which is a very cool Frank Lloyd Wright museum, not really a day trip, it is right there but you spend a few hours, we combined that with a drive through CareFree and Cave Creek.

Great drives and fantastic scenery everywhere.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...