Chop Suey THURS @ the MSC

Chat with other Parrotheads about dis and dat.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Chop Suey THURS @ the MSC

Post by Saltx3 »

Good Morning BN!

It's National Chop Suey Day. The Ringers won't be eating any :)

Get your chopsticks ready! National Chop Suey Day recognizes this American Chinese culinary cuisine each year on August 29.
Chop suey, which means assorted pieces, is a dish in American Chinese cuisine. The main ingredients include meat (chicken, fish, beef, prawns or pork) and eggs. As the meat cooks over high heat, add vegetables (usually bean sprouts, cabbage, and celery). The dish is bound in a starch-thickened sauce. Typically, rice accompanies the flavorful dish.
According to food historian Alan Davidson, chop suey is “A prime example of culinary mythology.” These food myths happen with popular foods. Illustrated below, several colorful and conflicting stories tell of chop suey’s possible origin.
Chop Suey Stories
Some believe chop suey was invented in America by Chinese Americans. However, anthropologist E.N. Anderson finds another conclusion. According to Anderson, the word tsap seui means miscellaneous leftovers and hails from Taishan, a district of Guangdong Province. Many early Chinese immigrants traveled from their home in Taishan to the United States.
Another account claims Chinese American cooks who were working on the transcontinental railroad invented chop suey in the 19th century.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Re: Chop Suey THURS @ the MSC

Post by SMLCHNG »

Good morning, BN! :)

Running late, so off I go!!

Oh, and I can't stand chop suey. Mom used to make it when I was a kid. Blech. :P
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

Morning BNers from Missouri. Just passing through.
How far is it to indy?????
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Morning, pholks. Chop suey is gross. [smilie=puking.gif]
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Good morning. No chop suey for me, but I've never been a big fan of Chinese food. Other than fried rice there isn't much I'll eat.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

No chop suey here. I'm picking up a sub and heading to the boat, looks like a sailing day.
Back to livin' Floridays
springparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by springparrot »

No chop suey here either but we are at the huge cross in Effingham IL.
Getting closer to Indy

Have to get there in time for dinner with racing friends.
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

Hi Penn. To answer your question from yesterday. My sciatica. Plus little arthritis. The meds are muscle relaxer ibuprofen 800 mg and a anti ulcer med I guess for the ibuprofen. The MRI is to check the nerve. Physical therapy starts Wednesday. But I am able to walk again with no pain. I also can sit a little longer. Thanks to the relaxant.
springparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by springparrot »

moog wrote: August 29, 2019 1:01 pm Hi Penn. To answer your question from yesterday. My sciatica. Plus little arthritis. The meds are muscle relaxer ibuprofen 800 mg and a anti ulcer med I guess for the ibuprofen. The MRI is to check the nerve. Physical therapy starts Wednesday. But I am able to walk again with no pain. I also can sit a little longer. Thanks to the relaxant.
(((Moogy)))💘
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

Hi Molly.
melon59
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the island.
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Margaritas

Post by melon59 »

I have a chop suey recipe that is my MIL's. My hubby and 1 of my daughter's like it, me...not so much. I don't make it very often and we are going to our local Mexican restaurant tonight with friends since we had to reschedule from last week. Happy Thursday!
Last edited by melon59 on August 29, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're Killing Me Smalls
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I just got two separate renewal notices in today's mail for the service contracts on my washer and dryer. I renewed both of them last month, they sent me the new certificates of coverage for both contracts and the credit card I used has already been charged. I called customer service to ask why I'm getting renewal notices for contracts that have already been renewed. "Oh, those get sent out automatically. There are 3 scheduled mailings and they get sent out even after customers renew their contracts." What a waste of time and money, not to mention the paper they're printed on.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

Hello all.

It's a beautiful day in Lancaster County, PA !!!

It's an even better day as the folks living next door to us since the day we moved in (12/27/12) have sold their home and have packed up and moved away. There are 39 townhomes in our neighborhood (which is a total of 2 dead-end streets) and we got the neighbors who could have cared less about their property. Since our home is comparable to theirs we are stocked that it sold in 3 days for about $30,000 more than they paid in 2012. I already met the new homeowner; single guy getting ready to retire and downsized. He already asked about flower beds and said he loves what we did with our lower deck (a/k/a Calamity Cove) :)
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

mmmmm…. chop suey! I've been going to the same Chinese restaurant in Seattle's Chinatown (I'm sorry... the International District) since I was a little kid. "Tai Tung" has been in the same spot for 84 years and is as good as it gets. When you order Chop Suey, the waiter says
"Chop Suey, Soft Noodles of course?" and we all reply "Of Course!"
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
bodypainter
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: whatever I get as a tip(no JELLO)

Post by bodypainter »

Hi there! It was quite a day here. I took my boat through rapids with multiple boulders only to run aground in the shallows upstream. I climbed out and floated the boat free and went back through the rapids. This time I hit several rocks. Imagine hitting a sledge hammer into a trash can and you hear the right sound.
I came home to fix a landscape issue with old railroad ties. They were a lot easier putting in place 30 years ago.
If I wasn't fishing in this all day rain,I'd be home doing something stupid.
tailgaitingph
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

bodypainter wrote: August 29, 2019 6:55 pm Hi there! It was quite a day here. I took my boat through rapids with multiple boulders only to run aground in the shallows upstream. I climbed out and floated the boat free and went back through the rapids. This time I hit several rocks. Imagine hitting a sledge hammer into a trash can and you hear the right sound.
I came home to fix a landscape issue with old railroad ties. They were a lot easier putting in place 30 years ago.
I've heard that sound on a john boat a few times & it makes me cringe every time!
No matter what body of water I'm in, I don't care to swim or pull the boat to where I need to go. Not to mention the thought of it going down :o
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

moog wrote: August 29, 2019 1:01 pm Hi Penn. To answer your question from yesterday. My sciatica. Plus little arthritis. The meds are muscle relaxer ibuprofen 800 mg and a anti ulcer med I guess for the ibuprofen. The MRI is to check the nerve. Physical therapy starts Wednesday. But I am able to walk again with no pain. I also can sit a little longer. Thanks to the relaxant.
(((Moog)))

Hoping the mri will give you some answers & the physical therapy will help ya til then!
I'm guessing you can take the relaxers & still work?

tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

Evening BN.

Wonderful weather for a most enjoyable day at the pool. Was starting to loose my tan so I had to fix that :lol:

Tomorrow's supposed to be just as nice & I hope to spend a few hours there again but I have a viewing tomorrow evening. A guy I went to school with passed from leukemia. He was only diagnosed last month but was told he had 5-6 months...
You just never know :-?

moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

Tail, yep. I only missed two days last week. No Tim Conway walk since I’ve been on the relaxants. Good thing our stations rise so I can stand at work.
tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

moog wrote: August 29, 2019 7:42 pm Tail, yep. I only missed two days last week. No Tim Conway walk since I’ve been on the relaxants. Good thing our stations rise so I can stand at work.
I wondered about that...ours do too.
Having the option makes a huge difference, even without back issues [smilie=beadygrinner.gif]