It’s been some months…

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

TravisMcGeeBahiaMar
Favorite Buffett Song: Here We Are
Number of Concerts: 100

It’s been some months…

Post by TravisMcGeeBahiaMar »

I just miss Jimmy Buffett. It’s been more than 1/2 a year since he left us, but I miss him every day. Some days I can watch a video or hear a song and trick myself into thinking he is still here, but he’s not. I saw him live over 100 times, first in 1980 at Merriweather Post, lastly in 2011 in Paris. In between I saw him in Florida, Charleston, Jones Beach, Manhattan, North Carolina and a zillion other places. I saw him before I was able to drive. Over 100 times, and it was not nearly enough.
I live in London currently, and Radio Margaritaville makes it easier, but I wonder how I will fill the void that this summer is sure to bring. Anybody have similar thoughts? Any ideas how to celebrate the force of life that was Jimmy Buffett?
baybound
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 7

Re: It’s been some months…

Post by baybound »

Late response to your post, but I know what you mean

I first saw Jimmy live in '75 or '76 when I was in college and have been die-hard fan since. When I watch the vids and shows the CRB and others do, I just don't know how they do it. I'm glad they are keeping it going, I really am. But sometimes I struggle just watching. I'm still torn between missing him, and anger that he's gone. Crazy to miss someone so much that I never met.
baybound
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by baybound »

Oh and by the way...I also saw Jimmy at Merriweather in Columbia, MD. I think it was July of '77, and if my aging memory is correct, I think I paid around $6 a ticket :)
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

TravisMcGeeBahiaMar wrote: April 15, 2024 5:07 am I just miss Jimmy Buffett. It’s been more than 1/2 a year since he left us, but I miss him every day. Some days I can watch a video or hear a song and trick myself into thinking he is still here, but he’s not. I saw him live over 100 times, first in 1980 at Merriweather Post, lastly in 2011 in Paris. In between I saw him in Florida, Charleston, Jones Beach, Manhattan, North Carolina and a zillion other places. I saw him before I was able to drive. Over 100 times, and it was not nearly enough.
I live in London currently, and Radio Margaritaville makes it easier, but I wonder how I will fill the void that this summer is sure to bring. Anybody have similar thoughts? Any ideas how to celebrate the force of life that was Jimmy Buffett?
We all miss him. 🙁

That is why we have this place. So we can still grieve.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jbfins »

I find myself listening to songs that I often skipped over. The other day I heard Whoop de Doo. I barely even knew the words. And now I have "A Pirate Looks at Fifty" on my bedside table. I am reading a few pages each morning and sometimes underline certain sentences.

I read that Savannah said during the Jazz Fest Tribute that she believed he lived to be 100 and just did it it in 3/4 time. I wish I could tell her how perfect that statement is.
"Some people never find it..."
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

I’ve been meaning to post this (or something along these lines) for awhile now, but now that it’s getting warmer and I’m listening to more and more JB these days, maybe it is time.

My ESOAP CD and Vinyl sit in a corner of my office with their shrink-wrap still very much in tact. Each time Bubbles Up or any other song from the album come on RM I change the channel. I want to listen, but there is something deep down that gives me that sad feeling in my throat knowing Jimmy knew this would be his last album and there are messages and tributes to his fans contained within.

The few pictures and media I saw of him from 2023 made it clear he was battling something, likely cancer, as my father dealt with (and beat) a different cancer two years prior with a similar change in appearance and weight loss. Therefore, I had a strong hope JB would pull through and my wife and I would be able to take our 6 year old ‘keet to JB at Great Woods in 2024 as she knows the lyrics to OPH, Fins, and Margaritaville well.

Anyway, I feel like I’m ready to listen to each album from Down to Earth to ESOAP very carefully and slowly over the coming weeks and months, with many re-listens of live shows in between (thanks SL!) and hopefully that will be the therapy I need to come to terms with where we all are now. But, I’m not one for the ripping off the band aid method, but maybe I should?!

I guess it just goes to show how much of an influence JB has had on me or how deep the fandom runs. I’d imagine many BNers have dealt with Jimmy’s passing in many different ways, and that’s totally okay. Fins up everybody and I hope we can all raise many glasses to Jimmy while continuing to listen to our favorite songs this summer.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty