New JB vinyl coming this summer

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

New JB vinyl coming this summer

Post by urlcenter »

Mailboat records and Geffen Records are releasing 13 of Jimmy's albums on vinyl this Summer, this includes 3 albums that have never been released on vinyl before. Those albums are Fruitcakes, Barometer Soup and Banana Wind.

Mailboat Records is currently accepting pre-orders at this time for the June releases

Here is the complete list:

June 7
“Living and Dying in ¾ Time” (1974) – Buffett’s fourth album yielded his first Top 40 hit, “Come Monday.” Other favorite tracks include “Pencil This Mustache.”

“One Particular Harbour” (1983) – In addition to the title track, this album included the concert staple “Stars on the Water” and the playful “We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About.”

“Fruitcakes” (1994) – Ume says this was the first Buffett album ever to break into the Top 5 of Billboard’s Top 200. It’s a double LP; in addition to the title song, notable tracks include covers of “Uncle John’s Band” by the Grateful Dead, “Sunny Afternoon” by The Kinks and the Hank Cochran song “She’s Got You,” made famous by Patsy Cline.

July 12
“A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean” (1973) – Released before “Living and Dying in ¾ Time,” this album laid out the boundaries of Buffett’s escapist world with tunes such as “He Went to Paris,” “The Great Filling Station Holdup,” “Grapefruit-Juicy Fruit” and, of course, the anthemic “Why Don’t We Get Drunk.”

“Havana Daydreamin’” (1976) – Buffett nearly broke into Billboard’s Top 20 country album chart with this one, which includes the hangover lament “My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don’t Love Jesus.”

“Banana Wind” (1996) – This mid-’90s set debuted at No. 4 and added “Jamaica Mistaica” to the Buffett canon.

August 16
“Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes” (1977) – Behold “Margaritaville,” the tune that turned a shifting refrain into one of the biggest hooks in all pop music and gave birth to a business empire.

“Son of a Son of a Sailor” (1978) – This is the one where Buffett revolutionized the concept of paradise by introducing cheeseburgers to its menu.

“Volcano” (1979) – The title track obviously became a major addition to the Buffett setlist. So did “Fins.”

“Barometer Soup” (1995) – Buffett’s cover of James Taylor’s “Mexico” made it onto the charts and the album went to No. 6.

https://www.al.com/life/2024/04/jimmy-b ... mmer.html?
Phinn
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Wonder Why We Ever Go Home
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita!

Re: New JB vinyl coming this summer

Post by Phinn »

This is awesome, the 3 I am missing!
Phinns Up!
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

Awesome. Order placed. I have first editions of all the early stuff, now I can archive those!

Keep us posted when thr pre-order dates of all the colored vinyl releases become available!

|\s up!
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

It would also be great to see Zac and Mac release Pirates and Parrots as a vinyl single!
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jbfins »

Any idea if liner notes will be included?
"Some people never find it..."
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

I couldn’t imagine it then not. Although my original first editions have the notes printed on the gatefold, nothing inserted.
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

The second round is now available for pre-order.
Phinn
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Phinn »

I’m curious who is ordering what and why?

I’m have both Fruitcakes and Banana Wind on the way…so excited! I am of course missing those from my Jimmy Vinyl collection…I have a few other vinyls but all I really spin is Jimmy.

I LOVE the others, the colors are so cool. But I all ready have those records in just about perfect condition. The jackets are a bit beat up. But hell…some of them are 40 years + old! I can’t justify the spend on a 3rd copy of the same albums. Fruitcakes is sold out…so my train of thought may be well travelled.

Happy to get my hands on a Tues. Thurs. Sat copy this week too!

I may quad dip on Changes! And of course Barometer Soup!

Fins and Bubbles always up!
Phinns Up!
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jbfins »

I will be ordering all of them so that I can have an excuse to buy a record player.
"Some people never find it..."
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

I've preordered 5 of the 6 (Fruitcakes was sold out when I went to preorder the first 3) through Mailboat, and Fruitcakes on Amazon. I have a fairly entry-level turntable setup but it does sound a little better than my digital setup. I have long-term goals of upgrading equipment but in the meantime I've been able to collect most (not all) of JB's back catalog that's been available on vinyl. I've hit a few clunkers on the way in terms of skipping, but I am hopeful these "new" releases sound even better.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but I've always thought most of the MCA CDs (of the old ABC Dunhill albums) sounded muted/low volume. Does anyone here have any "inside baseball" on the expected sound quality of the re-issues?

Thanks!
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
Phinn
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Phinn »

jbfins wrote: May 16, 2024 9:06 am I will be ordering all of them so that I can have an excuse to buy a record player.
LOL LOVE IT! My record player dates back to the 70s…still works like a rock star!
Phinns Up!
Phinn
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Phinn »

SharkysMV1 wrote: May 16, 2024 11:50 am I've preordered 5 of the 6 (Fruitcakes was sold out when I went to preorder the first 3) through Mailboat, and Fruitcakes on Amazon. I have a fairly entry-level turntable setup but it does sound a little better than my digital setup. I have long-term goals of upgrading equipment but in the meantime I've been able to collect most (not all) of JB's back catalog that's been available on vinyl. I've hit a few clunkers on the way in terms of skipping, but I am hopeful these "new" releases sound even better.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but I've always thought most of the MCA CDs (of the old ABC Dunhill albums) sounded muted/low volume. Does anyone here have any "inside baseball" on the expected sound quality of the re-issues?

Thanks!
O I am sure the re-masters will sound great. Buffett has always produced fantastic records. Songs from St. Somewhere and Banana Wind are great examples of beautifully produce work. The instrument separation is awesome. But does not sound tracked.

I have always had mixed feelings of recordings that start in the digital world and are converted to analog for vinyl pressings. Basically anything recorded after 2000. I am trying to find info on if Fruitcakes, Banana Wind and Barometer Soup where recorded on tape or digital. The 90s we see a mixed bag as the industry started to go digital and music went away from tape. Buffett never seemed to shy away from tech so i can see him being early with the digital recordings. But my feelings is that they are all done on tape.

CRANk it up to 11 and you can hear it :) Play A1A and then Equal Strains.

If I figure it out i will let you all know!

Rock on!
Phinns Up!
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

I have all the early stuff on first edition (ABC) vinyl. Most is VG+ to NM. I have made high definition digital rips of the original LPs that sound as good, if not better than the CDs.

I’m buying all the new colored vinyl so I can archive the first editions, and I’ll play the new ones on my turntable. Allegedly, these will be remastered.

The version of Fruitcakes that is on Amazon is not colored vinyl. That is only available on Mailboat in limited quantities.

Also, it seems like A1A will not be re-released in this project. I wonder if it is because it was re-released by Geffen in 2017 as 180g vinyl?