phjim
BN Webmaster
BN Webmaster
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita

License to Chill Lyrics

Post by phjim »

Scott French from the BuffettList transcribed the lyrics to the new Jimmy Buffett / Kenny Chesney song "License to Chill".
Last edited by phjim on January 24, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phjim
BN Webmaster
BN Webmaster
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita

Post by phjim »

Thanks to Scott French for his attempt at transcribing the lyrics below.

License to Chill
by Jimmy Buffett (featuring Kenny Chesney)

Jimmy Buffett:

Work, work, work
A big pile of it and the boss is a jerk.
Just want to disappear
Wishin’ I was somewhere other than here!

Living for the weekend,
jumping off the deep end,
with just enough money to buy
A license to chill
and I believe I will

Let the rat race run, roll around in the sun until
Trouble turns funny, songs get sung
a little bit of money, the nights still young
Leave me alone I’ve got a license…
license to chill

KC:

Girls, girls, girls
Ain’t nothin’ like ‘em in the whole wide world
Somethin’ smart and cute
and its amazing what they pass off as a bathing suit
Winners and losers (losers)
sailors and cruisers (cruisers)
We’re all qualified for a license to chill
and I believe I will

a little bit of money, the nights still young
Leave me alone I’ve got a license…
a license to chill

Bridge

JB & KC:

License to chill
and I believe I will
One good song (?) lasts all night long
leave me alone I’ve got a license to chill
license to chill

JB spoken word:

Ramos, go rent me a coupe deville!
Hey JL, where’s that bar-be-que grill?
Head on down to Margaritaville.
Have me a cheeseburger with a big pickle dill.
Jesus, I sound kinda mentally ill.
I guess I better go turn on Doctor Phil.
UltimateParrothead
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by UltimateParrothead »

Sounds to me like a similar theme to 5 O'Clock...
PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

Interesting.........a quick search on "license to chill" brings up another song with the same title!!! :o

http://www.songlyrics.com/song-lyrics/O ... 47271.html
Unpopular Poet
Nibblin' on sponge cake

License to Yawn...

Post by Unpopular Poet »

I hope Jimmy's success with 5:00 Somewhere and the equally unimaginative License to Chill aren't distracting him from the thoughtful and clever storytelling that has endeared him to Parrotheads over the years. Not that I hate either of these songs, mind you. They are catchy as hell and will probably win Jimmy a lot of new fans, but they lack the depth that Parrotheads have come to rely on. They both talk about escaping your job and your life to relax on the beach...blah, blah, blah. This is fine, but how many songs can you really write about that before people get tired of it? With most of Jimmy's songs, the escapism is implied and everybody understands that. Until this point, only Buffett imitators have found it necessary to perform such thin material because they lack Jimmy's creativity, credibility, and keen storytelling skill. Doing the duets is fine, but at this point in his career I think Jimmy has earned the right to make his “co-stars” step their game up to his level, rather than him having to sink to theirs.
Fins to the West!
tryin' to reason
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 25

Re: License to Yawn...

Post by tryin' to reason »

Unpopular Poet wrote:I hope Jimmy's success with 5:00 Somewhere and the equally unimaginative License to Chill aren't distracting him from the thoughtful and clever storytelling that has endeared him to Parrotheads over the years. Not that I hate either of these songs, mind you. They are catchy as hell and will probably win Jimmy a lot of new fans, but they lack the depth that Parrotheads have come to rely on. They both talk about escaping your job and your life to relax on the beach...blah, blah, blah. This is fine, but how many songs can you really write about that before people get tired of it? With most of Jimmy's songs, the escapism is implied and everybody understands that. Until this point, only Buffett imitators have found it necessary to perform such thin material because they lack Jimmy's creativity, credibility, and keen storytelling skill. Doing the duets is fine, but at this point in his career I think Jimmy has earned the right to make his “co-stars” step their game up to his level, rather than him having to sink to theirs.
You mean it's OK to be concerned about the impact of this new direction on Jimmy and Buffetdom???????

I thought this was a "love him or leave him" or "If your heart isn't in whatever Jimmy does, get your *ss out!" issue!
:wink: 8) :pirate:
We'll party just like Bubba does,
We'll do the Old Man proud!
Beach Blonde
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate looks at 40-Happily Ever After-The Remittance Man
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum and Orange Juice

Post by Beach Blonde »

is there anyone to combine the four threads that this song has generated.???.. obviously, we seem to be passionate about it, but... hey!! I gotsa get my butt back to work today and tonight trying to find them and the wise words of PH nationally is gonna kill me!

"Smart woman, in a real short skirt"
DoorNo.3
I have found me a home

Post by DoorNo.3 »

I agree with the Unpopular Poet. I like the beach as much as the next guy, but I miss the storytelling of songs such as Havana Daydreamin, African Friend, Manana, Wino and I know, just to name a few. C'mon Jimmy lets start appealing a little less to the least common denominator. I was hopeful that a new Jimmy "country" album would be a throwback to his gulf-western sound of 3/4 time, as well as songwriting found on that album.
"...wishing every month of the year could be june..."
Caribe41

Post by Caribe41 »

For right now im not worrying about the outcome of this album and what effects it may have on Parrotheads because we have only heard / seen one song on this album. Sure he's trying to go for a bigger audience than just his loyal PH's on this song, which is understandable although it upsets me, but we don't nessacarily know how all of the other songs on this. Hopefully we'll see the same kinda stuff he had on his latest studio albums. The one thing i really hope doesn't happen is that his shows will be targeted to his new, country audience, cuz he'd be betraying the people who put him where he is. . . the Parrotheads.
"I've got a caribbean soul I can barley control and some texas hidden here in my heart"
prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by prrthd1987 »

Caribe41 wrote:For right now im not worrying about the outcome of this album and what effects it may have on Parrotheads because we have only heard / seen one song on this album. Sure he's trying to go for a bigger audience than just his loyal PH's on this song, which is understandable although it upsets me, but we don't nessacarily know how all of the other songs on this. Hopefully we'll see the same kinda stuff he had on his latest studio albums. The one thing i really hope doesn't happen is that his shows will be targeted to his new, country audience, cuz he'd be betraying the people who put him where he is. . . the Parrotheads.
I could not agree with you more. I grew up listening to the style he has now and it would break a lot of loyal hearts to go right ahead and target the new audiences. I also agree with what the Unpopular Poet said. Fins up!
tommcat327
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by tommcat327 »

jimmy hasn't done any great songwriting in a long time,i dont expect him to start back up anytime soon :-?
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Beach Blonde

Post by Beach Blonde »

Jimmy has crossed over, alright!!

from great songwriter to business tycoon. Think of the genius here.... He can advertise his Margaritaville Restaurants, (which will soon be at all your local tourist traps), with FREE advertising... which is called, RADIO PLAY TIME.

All those restaurants aren't being paid for in full, they need this exposure to get people in to pay the bills.

As for me... I don't want to listen to "jingles" for music. I think it's a slap in the face to Parrotheads... The masses of asses, WILL buy it, but "old school Buffett"s" aren't swallowing.

~~~~~
JB spoken word: (taken from LTC)

Ramos, go rent me a coupe deville!
Hey JL, where’s that bar-be-que grill?
Head on down to Margaritaville.
Have me a cheeseburger with a big pickle dill.
Jesus, I sound kinda mentally ill.
I guess I better go turn on Doctor Phil.
~~~~
I know he didn't write it, but he is saying it and promoting it hard at his concerts. How can anyone read this, and not blush????

(again, only my opinion and not the opinion of this station)

Beach Blonde

Post by Beach Blonde »

whoops... I shouldn't have posted here.. this is where they post NEWS and not discussions...

Hey, I am getting this internet thing now... sorry, Jim, moderators, etc.

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

tommcat327 wrote:jimmy hasn't done any great songwriting in a long time,i dont expect him to start back up anytime soon :-?
for the most part I agree with the exception of Far Side of The World, by far the best song he has written since the 80's
tommcat327
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by tommcat327 »

RAGTOP wrote:
tommcat327 wrote:jimmy hasn't done any great songwriting in a long time,i dont expect him to start back up anytime soon :-?
for the most part I agree with the exception of Far Side of The World, by far the best song he has written since the 80's
I DID SAY FOR THE MOST PART.I AGREE ON THAT SONG AND A FEW OTHERS.PROBLEM IS THAT EVERYTIME I LIKE A NEW TUNE I READ THE CREDITS AND JIMMY DIDNT WRITE IT :lol:
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.