Moderator: SMLCHNG

atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Re: 2023 tour dates

Post by atmarler26 »

urlcenter wrote: June 25, 2023 12:45 pm
atmarler26 wrote: June 25, 2023 11:46 am Surprised that we still haven't gotten a tentative reschedule date for the Charleston show yet. The fact we haven't suggests that even if Jimmy was feeling well enough to get back on stage and perform a few songs, some of his health issues are still definitely persisting.

While the issues are clearly not that serious, I still do think it is time to maybe start speculating on what year it might end up being that he does an official farewell tour, or if he will even be able to do a full farewell tour when the time eventually does come. If this is going to be the new normal- announcing shows and then seeing if they are a go or not pending his health- then he may only be able to do a few shows per year when the time comes around that he does eventually start thinking about retiring from touring.

All the more reason why Jimmy should start including maybe one or two rarities that we haven't heard in 10-15 years in the setlist of every show he does end up playing later this year.
Mac played a solo show at City Winery in Boston on June 6th, he opened the show with an update on Jimmy and touring. According to Mac Jimmy is raring to go he just needs a medical clearance from one doctor. Jimmy and the CRB have been busy working on the up coming album "Equal Strain on All Parts". Mac said that Jimmy and the CRB will be back on the road as soon as possible
I understand that but the fact that he also was sidelined for a long period of time in the fall of 2022 due to hospitalization shows that this is clearly a recurring issue which is most likely related to old age in some way or another (although we don't know for sure).
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

atmarler26 wrote: June 26, 2023 10:38 am
urlcenter wrote: June 25, 2023 12:45 pm
atmarler26 wrote: June 25, 2023 11:46 am Surprised that we still haven't gotten a tentative reschedule date for the Charleston show yet. The fact we haven't suggests that even if Jimmy was feeling well enough to get back on stage and perform a few songs, some of his health issues are still definitely persisting.

While the issues are clearly not that serious, I still do think it is time to maybe start speculating on what year it might end up being that he does an official farewell tour, or if he will even be able to do a full farewell tour when the time eventually does come. If this is going to be the new normal- announcing shows and then seeing if they are a go or not pending his health- then he may only be able to do a few shows per year when the time comes around that he does eventually start thinking about retiring from touring.

All the more reason why Jimmy should start including maybe one or two rarities that we haven't heard in 10-15 years in the setlist of every show he does end up playing later this year.
Mac played a solo show at City Winery in Boston on June 6th, he opened the show with an update on Jimmy and touring. According to Mac Jimmy is raring to go he just needs a medical clearance from one doctor. Jimmy and the CRB have been busy working on the up coming album "Equal Strain on All Parts". Mac said that Jimmy and the CRB will be back on the road as soon as possible
I understand that but the fact that he also was sidelined for a long period of time in the fall of 2022 due to hospitalization shows that this is clearly a recurring issue which is most likely related to old age in some way or another (although we don't know for sure).
He has played 10 shows this year already from February to May so he had to have an okay to do those shows. Clearly he can perform and he has been busy with the CRB working on the new album and according to Mac rehearsing songs from the new album for future shows. Clearly Jimmy is feeling well and one doctor is just being appropriately cautious.
Gypsy In The Palace
I Love the Now!

Post by Gypsy In The Palace »

He has played 10 shows this year already from February to May
While these shows were going on, I was very concerned about him because the shows were so short compared to his normal shows. He did had an opening act for them. But, when he has had openers before (Huey Lewis, Caroline Jones, etc), he usually did not shorten the shows that much. I remember at the time thinking that he still may not be feeling well but was trying his best to play through it. Obviously, I don’t know if that was the case, but with the news that has come out since then, I think it’s reasonable to conclude that.

Hopefully with more rest, whether that is another few months or into 2024, he will be back to feeling well enough to get back at it. I think that he wants to be back out there as much—if not more—than we want him back out there. I hope that whatever the issue is will not be constantly rearing its ugly head like it appeared to be doing for the shows that he did play in early 2023.
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

The Milwaukee show is officially off.
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

Gypsy In The Palace wrote: June 26, 2023 10:40 pm

He has played 10 shows this year already from February to May
While these shows were going on, I was very concerned about him because the shows were so short compared to his normal shows. He did had an opening act for them. But, when he has had openers before (Huey Lewis, Caroline Jones, etc), he usually did not shorten the shows that much. I remember at the time thinking that he still may not be feeling well but was trying his best to play through it. Obviously, I don’t know if that was the case, but with the news that has come out since then, I think it’s reasonable to conclude that.

Hopefully with more rest, whether that is another few months or into 2024, he will be back to feeling well enough to get back at it. I think that he wants to be back out there as much—if not more—than we want him back out there. I hope that whatever the issue is will not be constantly rearing its ugly head like it appeared to be doing for the shows that he did play in early 2023.
Yep. While a doc may give him the green light, that doesn't mean he actually may feel up to doing a full show. At this age we simply can't push through things like we did when we were young. When I was released from Aortic Valve Replacement in 2018, the doc at some point gave me the OK to do whatever I "FELT" like doing. The valve was fine but that did not mean I could do what I Wanted to do yet.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
RiverPirate68
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at Forty
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita!

Post by RiverPirate68 »

tailgaitingph wrote: June 2, 2023 9:46 pm
BottleofRum wrote: June 2, 2023 1:18 pm If Buffett does any shows this summer it will be in during the 2nd-3rd week of August. Peter has a packed June and July tour schedule set and Mac has a handful of shows as well in that time. Both have no shows schedule in that 2nd-4th week August timeframe. Since 2013 he has played at Great Woods the 2nd Saturday in August, that date is still open and it one of the few if not only Saturday this summer they have not scheduled a show there. He has played at Great Woods more than any other artist the venue history AND he has played at Great Woods more times he has played any place else. So little doubt they are holding it the 12th open for him. And most often he does a Jones Beach show a weekday before Great Woods and Jones Beach has both Tuesday the 8th and Thursday the 10th open. So it is very easy to see, IF he does get back out this summer doing a small run of shows in August. Like a Charleston, Jones Beach, Great woods on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday that week.

But regardless of if he does or doesn't play at Great Woods this summer there is little doubt August 12th at Great Woods hasn't been filled yet for a reason and that is they are holding it for him.
I like your thinking Pat!
With Cincinnati being the birthplace of Parrotheads I would expect that if he does a show anywhere this summer it will be Cinci. Having said that, I count 8 possible dates left in August that he might do a show there: 1, 3, 8, 10, 12, 19, 22, and 31. All other Tues/Thurs/Sat are booked already.

Phins up!
MikeJW
I have found me a home

Post by MikeJW »

Looking at his recent pictures, he looks shockingly thin. Can’t imagine he would have the stamina to do road trip shows anytime soon. He’s lost so much weight.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jbfins »

I noticed that too.
I like that he keeps his stuff private. He was in a hospital for 10 days and no one said anything. That is cool.
"Some people never find it..."
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

RiverPirate68 wrote: July 11, 2023 2:34 pm
tailgaitingph wrote: June 2, 2023 9:46 pm
BottleofRum wrote: June 2, 2023 1:18 pm If Buffett does any shows this summer it will be in during the 2nd-3rd week of August. Peter has a packed June and July tour schedule set and Mac has a handful of shows as well in that time. Both have no shows schedule in that 2nd-4th week August timeframe. Since 2013 he has played at Great Woods the 2nd Saturday in August, that date is still open and it one of the few if not only Saturday this summer they have not scheduled a show there. He has played at Great Woods more than any other artist the venue history AND he has played at Great Woods more times he has played any place else. So little doubt they are holding it the 12th open for him. And most often he does a Jones Beach show a weekday before Great Woods and Jones Beach has both Tuesday the 8th and Thursday the 10th open. So it is very easy to see, IF he does get back out this summer doing a small run of shows in August. Like a Charleston, Jones Beach, Great woods on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday that week.

But regardless of if he does or doesn't play at Great Woods this summer there is little doubt August 12th at Great Woods hasn't been filled yet for a reason and that is they are holding it for him.
I like your thinking Pat!
With Cincinnati being the birthplace of Parrotheads I would expect that if he does a show anywhere this summer it will be Cinci. Having said that, I count 8 possible dates left in August that he might do a show there: 1, 3, 8, 10, 12, 19, 22, and 31. All other Tues/Thurs/Sat are booked already.

Phins up!
Jones Beach also has an open date on 8/10 and Greatwoods has an open date on 8/12
Luckyone
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: He went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Luckyone »

I hope he doesn't rush it. The March Second Wind Tour was criticized due to a shortened set list. I was there for one show. It was shortened. Jimmy is Jimmy and I will go to any show that is close. But I think he should stay on the bench till he is well. He mentioned 10 days in the hospital. That had to be in the Fall. Then remember he was hospitalized again. We will welcome him back any time. And for date speculation it could be late August or early to mid Sept. He wont want to do shows in the cold.
gypsystargazer
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 30

Post by gypsystargazer »

Well, here's a prediction. Perhaps he will make a surprise appearance at MOTM, Gulf Shores, this year. Lots of fun friends in town, including shows at LuLus. 🌴 I'm hoping so. I'll keep a weather eye out. Maybe sea ya there parrotheads🦜🎶 I'm going! Working on details. I'm sure with the cost. Finzup as all ways!
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

Luckyone wrote: July 14, 2023 3:06 pm I hope he doesn't rush it. The March Second Wind Tour was criticized due to a shortened set list. I was there for one show. It was shortened. Jimmy is Jimmy and I will go to any show that is close. But I think he should stay on the bench till he is well. He mentioned 10 days in the hospital. That had to be in the Fall. Then remember he was hospitalized again. We will welcome him back any time. And for date speculation it could be late August or early to mid Sept. He wont want to do shows in the cold.
100% agree on this!!
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

Luckyone wrote: July 14, 2023 3:06 pm I hope he doesn't rush it. The March Second Wind Tour was criticized due to a shortened set list. I was there for one show. It was shortened. Jimmy is Jimmy and I will go to any show that is close. But I think he should stay on the bench till he is well. He mentioned 10 days in the hospital. That had to be in the Fall. Then remember he was hospitalized again. We will welcome him back any time. And for date speculation it could be late August or early to mid Sept. He wont want to do shows in the cold.
Those March shows were shorter because Jimmy had an opening act of Mac McAnally and Scotty Emerick, their sets ran for nearly 30 minutes which resulted in Jimmy shortening his sets
Thethirstygator
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: The one about drinkin'
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes

Post by Thethirstygator »

I have heard from 2 people who work at Great Woods that Jimmy has recently been added to the list employees get of upcoming shows. Scheduled date 8/12. I'll believe it when I see it, but here's hoping. As an aside what song do you you think Jimmy should open with? My vote would be "Here We Are"
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Thethirstygator wrote: July 15, 2023 1:42 pm I have heard from 2 people who work at Great Woods that Jimmy has recently been added to the list employees get of upcoming shows. Scheduled date 8/12. I'll believe it when I see it, but here's hoping. As an aside what song do you you think Jimmy should open with? My vote would be "Here We Are"
Big if true.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

BottleofRum wrote: July 15, 2023 10:37 pm
Thethirstygator wrote: July 15, 2023 1:42 pm I have heard from 2 people who work at Great Woods that Jimmy has recently been added to the list employees get of upcoming shows. Scheduled date 8/12. I'll believe it when I see it, but here's hoping. As an aside what song do you you think Jimmy should open with? My vote would be "Here We Are"
Big if true.
I checked the set list data base here on Buffettnews. Buffett has in fact played Great Woods before so this wouldn’t be unprecedented. I’ll update if I uncover more viable data.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Gypsy In The Palace
I Love the Now!

Post by Gypsy In The Palace »

urlcenter wrote: July 15, 2023 12:54 pm
Those March shows were shorter because Jimmy had an opening act of Mac McAnally and Scotty Emerick, their sets ran for nearly 30 minutes which resulted in Jimmy shortening his sets
He has had opening acts in the past (Caroline Jones, Huey Lewis, etc), and the shows have never been shortened to that extreme. I personally think that he was not feeling well at the time and was trying his best to play through it. And, I think the shorter set list was the best that he could do.
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

Thethirstygator wrote: July 15, 2023 1:42 pmAs an aside what song do you think Jimmy should open with? My vote would be "Here We Are"
Lage Nom Ai. It's been more than 10 years now since he last played it as his show opening song.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

Gypsy In The Palace wrote: July 16, 2023 8:58 pm
urlcenter wrote: July 15, 2023 12:54 pm
He has had opening acts in the past (Caroline Jones, Huey Lewis, etc), and the shows have never been shortened to that extreme. I personally think that he was not feeling well at the time and was trying his best to play through it. And, I think the shorter set list was the best that he could do.
The opening acts normally play 3 songs for about 15 minutes, Scotty Emerick and Mac performed 5-6 songs for a full 30 minutes thus Jimmy shortened things up probably due to curfews at the venues
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

I wonder if he's having an opening act so that he doesn't have to (can't) sing those additional 30 minutes?
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH