Jimmy a Christian?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Ned Flanders
Number of Concerts: 0

Jimmy a Christian?

Post by Ned Flanders »

Does anybody know Jimmy's religious beliefs? Would he consider himself a Christian? I love his songs but some of them are not very Christian *WDWGDAS*.
Can a Christian be a Parrothead?
Okilly-dokilly
AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

jimmy was raised catholic. from what i've gathered he still attends mass occasionally.

i know several mormons that are devout PH's, but it's not whether a christian can be a PH but whether your personal beliefs will allow you to be a PH....
Last edited by AlbatrossFlyer on April 22, 2003 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson
CIGAR
I have found me a home

Post by CIGAR »

In the "Church of Buffett Orthadox" ..........of course!! :lol: :lol:
Key Lime Lee
Living My Life Like A Song

Re: Jimmy a Christian?

Post by Key Lime Lee »

Ned Flanders wrote:Does anybody know Jimmy's religious beliefs? Would he consider himself a Christian? I love his songs but some of them are not very Christian *WDWGDAS*.
Can a Christian be a Parrothead?
Depends how you define "Christian." Judging by the actions of many, it seems as if there's a pretty loose interpretation of the "rules".

Doubt he can consider himself a Catholic anymore however.
Eleven longhaired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus...
Capt Garry
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Capt Garry »

A guy that worked on my kitchen a few years ago told me he saw Jimmy at his Catholic Church in Chula Vista (San Diego) attending Mass. This was when Buffett was not playing San Diego (no adequate arena) around 1995-96. Jimmy was very low key by himself and not many recognized him. I know during that time he would rent sailboats at Shelter Island for cruising the bay and ocean.
TigerStripePHead
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by TigerStripePHead »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:but it's not whether a christian can be a PH but whether your personal beliefs will allow you to be a PH....
There are plenty characteristics of a PH that would not be in conflict with Christian religious beliefs. Just have to draw a line in the sand that doesn't get crossed.....
redwinemaker
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by redwinemaker »

Please note the name of the person that started this thread. It's not April Fools day but...
Image Image
Banana Wind

Post by Banana Wind »

I'm a Christian and I'm a Parrothead. I don't drink of smoke or anything like that, but I still love Jimmy's music and I believe that even for Christians there are good things that can be found in his music. (Cowboy In the Jungle, Every Now And Then)
"In the morning when you rise, aren't you glad to be alive?"
sunseeker
Woman going crazy on Caroline street
Favorite Buffett Song: That's what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Mostly water these days

Post by sunseeker »

redwinemaker wrote:Please note the name of the person that started this thread. It's not April Fools day but...
I noticed that too rwm!

But just for the record, "There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning..."
Ceol na Mara
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: "Jimmy Dreams"
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Frzn Strwbrry Daq w/real strwbrr & real cream

Post by Ceol na Mara »

In his book "A Pirate Looks at Fifty" Jimmy says he goes to Mass once a year, and he considers St. Louis Cathedral in NOLA to be his church. If, as they say, actions speak louder than words, I think Jimmy is a lot more Christian than a lot of people who think they are.
More wagging, less barking.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
Banana Wind

Post by Banana Wind »

Yeah, I remember reading that in the book too. I think it kind of depends on your definition of "Christian". It could mean Catholic, Baptist, etc. depending on what religion you choose. For me, I'm a Southern Baptist and I believe in having a personal relationship with Christ, which I kind of doubt that Jimmy has, but I know he still attends Mass sometimes.
"In the morning when you rise, aren't you glad to be alive?"
Luni'sBackYard
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by Luni'sBackYard »

:lol: Nice thread.....Ned!

Jimmy's best Christian moment came Saturday in Nashville when he sang WDWGDAS to the crowd while the Hula Contest Winner was onstage. By the way, the winner was a 5 year old little girl! So when it was time to sing the chorus it just flowed like this.."Why don't we get lunch at school"

I would say that Jimmy believes in a Higher Power in some form or another...and I don't think it says anywhere in The Bible that getting drunk and screwing is a sin. Two of my favorite Buffett songs are very spiritual in nature ( at least to me ) --Barefoot Children & Beyond The End
GO U of L CARDS!!

GO BRONCOS!!
Ned Flanders

Post by Ned Flanders »

Actually there are several versus in the Bible that mention that you should not get drunk but I have not found any that say you can't drink a little. The Sex thing is a whole nother issue.

I believe that Jimmy believes in God but like all of us, he has strayed into Sin land many a time and wrote some songs that the Big Guy would not look fondly upon. Jimmy is just an "Altered Boy" but a good guy in the end. $$ and keeping the PHs happy makes it a little hard to be a Christian. Whatever that really means. I guess we will find out in the End.

BTW, I used Ned Flanders because I thought it was fitting for this conversation.
Okilly-dokilly
Ceol na Mara

Post by Ceol na Mara »

Ned Flanders wrote:I believe that Jimmy believes in God but like all of us, he has strayed into Sin land many a time and wrote some songs that the Big Guy would not look fondly upon. Jimmy is just an "Altered Boy" but a good guy in the end. $$ and keeping the PHs happy makes it a little hard to be a Christian. Whatever that really means. I guess we will find out in the End.
I think that like many others, Jimmy is probably a cafeteria Catholic, i.e., he picks and chooses what he believes in and which rules and rituals he follows. And in "Fruitcakes", in the verse on religion, he says, "It's the pagan in me". But I don't think being Christian is defined by what you do in church, but what you do outside of church. And under that definition I think Jimmy's a lot more Christian than those who slavishly follow man-made rules of organized religions. As the IRS says: "Substance over form."

I also think it's wonderful that you know what songs God would or would not look fondly upon. Also money is not the root of all evil, the love of money is. While Jimmy certainly is rich, I don't think that that automatically makes it hard for him to be Christian. Many people of all religions use their money for the good of humanity. And they don't necessarily inform everyone of all their good deeds.

But at least I'm glad you came to the conclusion that he's a "good guy in the end". I think Jimmy is a good guy in the end, the beginning and the middle.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
Fruitcakes101
On a Salty Piece of Land
Location: Sitting on a blankie on the beach watching a sunrise and staying until it sets.

Post by Fruitcakes101 »

I also think it's wonderful that you know what songs God would or would not look fondly upon. Also money is not the root of all evil, the love of money is. While Jimmy certainly is rich, I don't think that that automatically makes it hard for him to be Christian. Many people of all religions use their money for the good of humanity. And they don't necessarily inform everyone of all their good deeds.

But at least I'm glad you came to the conclusion that he's a "good guy in the end". I think Jimmy is a good guy in the end, the beginning and the middle.[/quote]

Very well said :wink:
3/4 Time
Living & Dying in 3/4 time

Post by 3/4 Time »

Who said Christians don't get drunk and screw?

As SS pointed out: "Theres a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning"

A very thin line......just ask Homer. :lol:
Keep America Beautiful
volcanohead
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by volcanohead »

I would guess that Jimmy is as Christian as I am. I go to Church and I try to be the best person I can.

All I know is that if Buffett is not allowed into Heaven, then I don't want to be there either. :o
Heaven without Buffett music, just isn't Heaven to Me.
O2B that Honeysuckle Vine
Southeast of disorder

Post by O2B that Honeysuckle Vine »

I notice one of his favorite sayings is "God Damn"!! :roll:

Is he saying it in a good way or a bad way? Hmmm...Only Time Will Tell !! :D
Last edited by O2B that Honeysuckle Vine on April 22, 2003 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wanna go back down and a' get high by the sea there !!
NO PLANE ON SUNDAY
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by NO PLANE ON SUNDAY »

I am a Christian and will make some comments.

Much of the band that plays with jimmy are Christians.

Go to their web sites. Many of them do not drink and play gospel when not on tour. Infact he may have the most Christian band on the seculiar tour now.

As a Christian what I admire in him and his songs are how real they are. He does not surgar coat himself or his music like many Christians do.

As far as jimmy being saved that is not for me judge.

I listen to Jimmy for enjoyment and do admire many of his opinions about life.
Ceol na Mara

Post by Ceol na Mara »

NO PLANE ON SUNDAY wrote:I am a Christian and will make some comments.

Much of the band that plays with jimmy are Christians.

Go to their web sites. Many of them do not drink and play gospel when not on tour. Infact he may have the most Christian band on the seculiar tour now.

As a Christian what I admire in him and his songs are how real they are. He does not surgar coat himself or his music like many Christians do.

As far as jimmy being saved that is not for me judge.

I listen to Jimmy for enjoyment and do admire many of his opinions about life.
Very nicely said.