More Fenway Info...
Posted: March 4, 2004 1:29 pm
What happened to that Fenway thread? I hope I'm not repeating something that's been posted already...Matt might yell at me.
Anyhoo, I just got this via e mail......
BOSTON (AP) - First they hosted The Boss. Now the owners of the Boston Red
Sox are hoping for a siege of Parrotheads at Fenway Park.
Team officials have applied to the city for entertainment licenses to stage
Jimmy Buffett concerts on Sept. 10 and 12.
It would be the second big act to play Fenway in a year after Bruce
Springsteen's shows last summer, the first rock concerts in the venerable
park's history.
Mayor Thomas Menino, a Buffet fan, said there's no reason the show shouldn't
go on, and said he wants to convert a neighborhood parking lot the Red Sox
own into an all-day party spot for Parrotheads, as Buffett fans are called.
"They can come together and have their trailers and their parties, and they
won't be on the streets," Menino said. "It will be Parrothead Village. "
But some neighbors who complained about noise and vandalism during
Springsteen's two concerts were angry about the Buffett plans.
"When we supported it last year, we supported it as a one-time special
event," said Bill Richardson, president of the Fenway Civic Association.
"We don't think that Fenway Park is an appropriate place for a regular
concert venue. It throws a kink into the whole stadium-neighborhood
dynamic."
Councilor Michael P. Ross, who represents the Fenway and Kenmore
neighborhoods, said steps must be taken to minimize traffic and noise.
"The Red Sox tend to care about their reputation in the neighborhood," Ross
said. "If it goes off perfectly, this could be something people are willing
to consider in subsequent years."
Red Sox senior vice president Larry Cancro said concerts at Fenway could be
a yearly event.
"It's not the kind of thing we'd do every weekend; maybe we could do it once
a year," Cancro said. "The majority of the people are going to be pleased
and come out with a situation that's going to help the overall neighborhood
feel good."
Anyhoo, I just got this via e mail......
BOSTON (AP) - First they hosted The Boss. Now the owners of the Boston Red
Sox are hoping for a siege of Parrotheads at Fenway Park.
Team officials have applied to the city for entertainment licenses to stage
Jimmy Buffett concerts on Sept. 10 and 12.
It would be the second big act to play Fenway in a year after Bruce
Springsteen's shows last summer, the first rock concerts in the venerable
park's history.
Mayor Thomas Menino, a Buffet fan, said there's no reason the show shouldn't
go on, and said he wants to convert a neighborhood parking lot the Red Sox
own into an all-day party spot for Parrotheads, as Buffett fans are called.
"They can come together and have their trailers and their parties, and they
won't be on the streets," Menino said. "It will be Parrothead Village. "
But some neighbors who complained about noise and vandalism during
Springsteen's two concerts were angry about the Buffett plans.
"When we supported it last year, we supported it as a one-time special
event," said Bill Richardson, president of the Fenway Civic Association.
"We don't think that Fenway Park is an appropriate place for a regular
concert venue. It throws a kink into the whole stadium-neighborhood
dynamic."
Councilor Michael P. Ross, who represents the Fenway and Kenmore
neighborhoods, said steps must be taken to minimize traffic and noise.
"The Red Sox tend to care about their reputation in the neighborhood," Ross
said. "If it goes off perfectly, this could be something people are willing
to consider in subsequent years."
Red Sox senior vice president Larry Cancro said concerts at Fenway could be
a yearly event.
"It's not the kind of thing we'd do every weekend; maybe we could do it once
a year," Cancro said. "The majority of the people are going to be pleased
and come out with a situation that's going to help the overall neighborhood
feel good."