Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
It is currently April 20, 2014 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Article on LandShark Lager
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 7:48 am 
Offline
BN Webmaster
BN Webmaster

Joined: April 9, 2001 8:00 pm
Posts: 3301
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita
The Palm Beach Post has an article on LandShark Lager: "Buffett's new beer masquerades as microbrew"


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 12:57 pm 
Offline
<font color=blue>Cultural Infidel</font>
User avatar

Joined: September 27, 2001 8:00 pm
Posts: 1300
Location: On-Line STATE of Mind in IL
OUCH!!

_________________
__________/(________________/(_____
Havaña Dreamer
__________________/(_______________


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 3:45 pm 
Offline
At the Bama Breeze
User avatar

Joined: January 16, 2002 8:00 pm
Posts: 4286
Quote:
Reviews of LandShark have been less than glowing.
Writing on the United Nations of Beer Web site, reviewer Rob Zerr gave LandShark "a solid two fins down."
"The actual taste is clean enough, but so is tap water," he wrote.
Tallahassee.com beer columnist Doug Blackburn likewise was unimpressed.
"LandShark Lager lacks taste and flavor," he wrote. "At best, it qualifies as a lawn mower beer, a post-workout thirst quencher."


I trust that nobody is purchasing this brew in the hopes that it will be the best thing they've ever tasted. I plan on buying some, but I'm happy to make it my "lawn-mower beer" and pre-concert parking lot quaff.

Fins up!

_________________
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 3:49 pm 
Offline
Here We Are
User avatar

Joined: January 22, 2005 6:58 pm
Posts: 9938
Location: Orlando by-the-mouse
bravedave wrote:
I trust that nobody is purchasing this brew in the hopes that it will be the best thing they've ever tasted. I plan on buying some, but I'm happy to make it my "lawn-mower beer" and pre-concert parking lot quaff.

Fins up!


IMHO, it is OK (at best)
I'll stick with Corona for my lawn mowing/ parking lot beer

_________________
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!


Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 3:59 pm 
Offline
Last Man Standing
User avatar

Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Posts: 53834
Number of Concerts: 0
It's a bad beer. I'd venture a guess that if JB wasn't involved with it nobody here would drink it again after the first bottle.

_________________
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 4:02 pm 
Offline
On a Salty Piece of Land
User avatar

Joined: December 6, 2001 8:00 pm
Posts: 10178
Location: Northwest Tennessee
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita
I'm still gonna try it, even though the hubby won't let me use the riding mower. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]




:lol:

_________________
Image
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 5:11 pm 
Offline
On a Salty Piece of Land
User avatar

Joined: September 22, 2004 12:16 am
Posts: 10648
Location: Centennial, CO
Number of Concerts: 15
I wonder how reviewers would rate beers like Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.?

_________________
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 5:38 pm 
Offline
At the Bama Breeze
User avatar

Joined: January 16, 2002 8:00 pm
Posts: 4286
Quiet and Shy wrote:
I wonder how reviewers would rate beers like Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.?


http://www.tastings.com/

Quote:
Coors Brewing Co. Coors Light.
Sweet floral and grainy aromas. Vibrant and very clean with a hint of dry, pale malt and a brisk and refreshing finish where a hint of hop bitters and dry, grainy character emerge.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Silver Medal
RATED: 85 points (Highly Recommended)


Quote:
Anheuser Busch Bud Light.
Light floral aromas with a trace of hop character. Crisp and clean with a light-bodied palate and a short finish with minimal hop bittering.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Bronze Medal
RATED: 81 points (Recommended)


Quote:
Anheuser Busch Michelob Light.
Delicate hoppy aromas have a floral theme. Follows through on a very clean moderately light-bodied palate with a brisk and refreshing finish where a dry, grainy character emerges and subtle hop flavors linger.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Silver Medal
RATED: 86 points (Highly Recommended)

_________________
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 5:49 pm 
Offline
On a Salty Piece of Land
User avatar

Joined: September 22, 2004 12:16 am
Posts: 10648
Location: Centennial, CO
Number of Concerts: 15
bravedave wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:
I wonder how reviewers would rate beers like Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.?


http://www.tastings.com/

Quote:
Coors Brewing Co. Coors Light.
Sweet floral and grainy aromas. Vibrant and very clean with a hint of dry, pale malt and a brisk and refreshing finish where a hint of hop bitters and dry, grainy character emerge.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Silver Medal
RATED: 85 points (Highly Recommended)


Quote:
Anheuser Busch Bud Light.
Light floral aromas with a trace of hop character. Crisp and clean with a light-bodied palate and a short finish with minimal hop bittering.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Bronze Medal
RATED: 81 points (Recommended)


Quote:
Anheuser Busch Michelob Light.
Delicate hoppy aromas have a floral theme. Follows through on a very clean moderately light-bodied palate with a brisk and refreshing finish where a dry, grainy character emerges and subtle hop flavors linger.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Silver Medal
RATED: 86 points (Highly Recommended)


Hmmm...thanks.

I see where tastings.com doesn't have any info on Landshark yet. I emailed them and asked if they'd be reviewing it soon.

_________________
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Heh.
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 7:09 pm 
Offline
License to Chill
User avatar

Joined: July 29, 2003 9:10 pm
Posts: 1231
Location: Georgia on my Mind
Number of Concerts: 0
I think it's a good beer. I like Corona, but I like this MUCH MORE. Cleaner water probably.

_________________
www.timeafterislandtime.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 7:41 pm 
Offline
On a Salty Piece of Land
User avatar

Joined: September 22, 2004 12:16 am
Posts: 10648
Location: Centennial, CO
Number of Concerts: 15
Quiet and Shy wrote:
I see where tastings.com doesn't have any info on Landshark yet. I emailed them and asked if they'd be reviewing it soon.


Tastings.com replied: "No, they haven't sent it in for a review. Maybe later this year."

So they apparently don't buy their own beer.... :lol:

_________________
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2007 8:47 pm 
Offline
On a Salty Piece of Land
User avatar

Joined: January 16, 2005 12:38 pm
Posts: 12311
Location: Nashville, TenneBreeze
Number of Concerts: 8
Quiet and Shy wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:
I see where tastings.com doesn't have any info on Landshark yet. I emailed them and asked if they'd be reviewing it soon.


Tastings.com replied: "No, they haven't sent it in for a review. Maybe later this year."

So they apparently don't buy their own beer.... :lol:


I'm a little sad the article didn't include the bolded location, I think the Palm Beach Post is unfair and biased... :-?

Quote:
LandShark is available in Margaritaville restaurants and will be sold at Buffett concerts, and Merry Pier on Pass-a-Grille Beach :lol:

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6, 2007 10:55 am 
Offline
I need two more boat drinks

Joined: February 9, 2004 3:33 pm
Posts: 248
Location: Vilano beach, Florida
I've tried it, two sixpacks worth. I think it has a much cleaner taste than Corona. Corona is too bitter, I'd much prefer Dos Equis, Modelo, or Pacifia.

I'd have to agree, it's a good yard work type of beer, but at $6.50-$8.00 a six pack, no thanks! Bring the price down to the Budweiser range, say $4.50-$5 and I'd buy it pretty much exclusively for my day-to-day beer.

_________________
Scars are Tattoo's with better stories!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Article on LandShark Lager
PostPosted: March 6, 2007 8:30 pm 
Offline
Hoot!

Joined: August 22, 2002 8:43 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Maine
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 32
Favorite Boat Drink: Used to be Cape Codder
That's OK - Budweiser has masqueraded as beer forever! I have drunk many many beers but Bud is , by far, my least favorite. So if it tastes anything like Budweiser - thanks but I'll pass.

_________________
" I don't want to burn in hell; I just want to be lightly browned."

Kent


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6, 2007 9:09 pm 
Offline
I Love the Now!
User avatar

Joined: February 3, 2007 7:17 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: I-75
Last night I was sitting at a sports bar with some long-time guy friends drinking Sierra Nevada, Bell's, Blue Moon, Sam Adams, Labatts, and Bud . (there were twelve of us)
I was trying to explain Landshark to them.
Suffice it to say that although half are audiophiles, and at least 4 or five are musicians, none have ever heard of Fins. Margaritaville of course, but when I tell these XM guys (GM and Honda country here) about Sirius 31, they ask:" What do they do, play Jimmy Buffett's only song over and over again?.
My parents WARNED me not to hang around with them, but who knew!
(We can do a MEAN acapella version of "Inna gada da vida" though).
Since none of them like Corona, and the Jimmy factor means nothing to this crew, I completly understood there quizical look when I described bringing back a case of Landshark Lager from FL.
Let's face it, if your not looking for a Corona substitute and feel nothing special about communing with Parrotheads, your not gonna pay even Bud prices for the stuff.
My friends are'nt all bad, half of them love Reggae, most vacation in the tropics, and they all know how to party.
They have their own quirks, as I have mine.
Oh well. I saved the Landshark for myself. Why waste it on those that could never appreciate it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7, 2007 12:13 am 
Offline
On a Salty Piece of Land
User avatar

Joined: September 22, 2004 12:16 am
Posts: 10648
Location: Centennial, CO
Number of Concerts: 15
Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:
Last night I was sitting at a sports bar with some long-time guy friends drinking Sierra Nevada, Bell's, Blue Moon, Sam Adams, Labatts, and Bud . (there were twelve of us)
I was trying to explain Landshark to them.
Suffice it to say that although half are audiophiles, and at least 4 or five are musicians, none have ever heard of Fins. Margaritaville of course, but when I tell these XM guys (GM and Honda country here) about Sirius 31, they ask:" What do they do, play Jimmy Buffett's only song over and over again?.
My parents WARNED me not to hang around with them, but who knew!
(We can do a MEAN acapella version of "Inna gada da vida" though).
Since none of them like Corona, and the Jimmy factor means nothing to this crew, I completly understood there quizical look when I described bringing back a case of Landshark Lager from FL.
Let's face it, if your not looking for a Corona substitute and feel nothing special about communing with Parrotheads, your not gonna pay even Bud prices for the stuff.
My friends are'nt all bad, half of them love Reggae, most vacation in the tropics, and they all know how to party.
They have their own quirks, as I have mine.
Oh well. I saved the Landshark for myself. Why waste it on those that could never appreciate it?


What a great example of why general test marketing is so key before launching the Landshark brand nationally (will it sell to anyone but Buffett fans?), and why it's still such an odd move for Bud to have taken on their own investment (Corona).

_________________
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7, 2007 8:36 am 
Offline
I Love the Now!
User avatar

Joined: February 3, 2007 7:17 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: I-75
Quiet and Shy wrote:

... it's still such an odd move for Bud to have taken on their own investment (Corona).


Not really so. AB launched Mic Ultra to cash in on the low carb craze (junk-science used to justify good carbs vs bad carbs, despite the caloric equivalance), and marketed it directly against Bud Light and Michalob Light!!!!!

Does AB own Corona?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7, 2007 11:26 am 
Offline
On a Salty Piece of Land
User avatar

Joined: September 22, 2004 12:16 am
Posts: 10648
Location: Centennial, CO
Number of Concerts: 15
Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:

... it's still such an odd move for Bud to have taken on their own investment (Corona).


Not really so. AB launched Mic Ultra to cash in on the low carb craze (junk-science used to justify good carbs vs bad carbs, despite the caloric equivalance), and marketed it directly against Bud Light and Michalob Light!!!!!

Does AB own Corona?


But Mic Ultra was after a different segment...the low carb...and was developed as an answer to Miller Lite's ads highlighting how many fewer carbs it had than Bud Light...whereas Landshark is aimed squarely at Corona.

AB owns 49% of Modelo, the Corona brewer. So unless the Mexican government is about to toss out foreign owners (not at all likely), it's an incredibly risky move for AB.

Landshark is to Corona as Hoot was to MI3.

_________________
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7, 2007 11:59 am 
Offline
I Love the Now!
User avatar

Joined: February 3, 2007 7:17 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: I-75
Quiet and Shy wrote:

Landshark is to Corona as Hoot was to MI3.


Even Coke has made big mistakes, in addition to the "New" Coke fiasco.
Remember Lemon Coke? Turned out everyone wanted sweeter colas, like vanilla and cherry.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7, 2007 12:02 pm 
Offline
I Love the Now!
User avatar

Joined: February 3, 2007 7:17 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: I-75
Quiet and Shy wrote:
it's an incredibly risky move for AB.



The above quote was what I meant to respond to in the previous post.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group