Meet up with some of your friends from BN and find out who's going to the show

Moderator: SMLCHNG

CreolaInMySoul-a
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything in an Endless Cup

Re: Who's Going to 20th MOTM 2011 Nov. 3-6? new list info pg 1

Post by CreolaInMySoul-a »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:As for StreetFest, I saw some of the worst and some of the best. The worst, to my dismay, was often displayed by PHs. Pushing, shoving, nearly causing a stampede in one case. Refusing to move when KWPD yelled MOVE after people tried to arrive at 3:45 and park themselves along the walkways beside the stage. I was behind the stage and to the right (stage right) over near Starbucks, up against the barriers beside the white equipment truck. After initially trying to get back around to some of the rest of the BN crew and failing to get through the crowd, I stayed where I was, standing with a small group of locals. One a** shoved his way in, literally elbowing others aside. He had the right to do so, he said, because he was an important guy in the (Big East Coast City) PH Club. (I'll spare the other members of his club the embarrassment and not name the club). One woman demanded to be let into the backstage area because she just had knee surgery (uh, no, said security). My new friend (and long time KW resident) Martha told her she really should have thought twice before she waded into such a crowd so soon after surgery. To my great embarrassment, the PHs around me actually demanded that the locals step back out of the way and let the PHs to the front (they, just having arrived at 3:45 and the locals standing there for well over an hour) because THEY (the PHs) had PAID for the right to be at StreetFest (ah, no, not happening. Public event, anyone??). When Martha asked if I was one of the Parrotheads I didn't know quite how to respond..... Well, yeah, but...... The locals decided I was okay and at one point physically defended me when one of my PH brethren(?) tried to shove me out of the way. I'm not exactly petite, and the whole thing got a little scary. Jimmy did 15 songs? Loved it, but I would have guessed half that, as distracted as we were by the bedlam.
I repeatedly heard from the locals and cabbies that they do not like MOTM. Their experience with PH's over the years have been taxing at best. They come off from a huge week of Fantasy Fest and say the MOTM attendees are 10 times worse in behavior. For some reason when PH's come to Key West they act like they are entitled and own the Island. They have a reputation as being cheap, bad tippers and rude. One night at the Chart Room I witnessed a group of 4 (dressed in PH garb) come in, eat a ton of free hot dogs and leave without buying a drink or leaving a tip. Emily, the Chart Room bartender, said it happens throughout the day , everyday. Many locals said that Jimmy should have played Streetfest to give back to the community because they have a love/hate relationship with him and if he played a private show it would have been a slap in the face. Key West is so much more than JB and they feel he has capitalized at their expense. (Just sharing what I was told). The most uncomfortable I felt all week was in Margaritaville watching the Boat Drunks, I was actually a little embarrassed to say I was part of this convention. Not all PH are like this and Chris and I and our housemates were asked many times if we were locals because we didn't display this behavior; our cabbie gave us his personal cellphone number so we would call him, we were invited to a barbecue in the neighborhood and got the local rates at bars thanks to Tam. It just shows that you get what you give. Maybe PHIP should send out an etiquette guide to the clubs.
Image Image Image
Life is still a tire swing
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

dnw wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:As for StreetFest, I saw some of the worst and some of the best. The worst, to my dismay, was often displayed by PHs. Pushing, shoving, nearly causing a stampede in one case. Refusing to move when KWPD yelled MOVE after people tried to arrive at 3:45 and park themselves along the walkways beside the stage. I was behind the stage and to the right (stage right) over near Starbucks, up against the barriers beside the white equipment truck. After initially trying to get back around to some of the rest of the BN crew and failing to get through the crowd, I stayed where I was, standing with a small group of locals. One a** shoved his way in, literally elbowing others aside. He had the right to do so, he said, because he was an important guy in the (Big East Coast City) PH Club. (I'll spare the other members of his club the embarrassment and not name the club). One woman demanded to be let into the backstage area because she just had knee surgery (uh, no, said security). My new friend (and long time KW resident) Martha told her she really should have thought twice before she waded into such a crowd so soon after surgery. To my great embarrassment, the PHs around me actually demanded that the locals step back out of the way and let the PHs to the front (they, just having arrived at 3:45 and the locals standing there for well over an hour) because THEY (the PHs) had PAID for the right to be at StreetFest (ah, no, not happening. Public event, anyone??). When Martha asked if I was one of the Parrotheads I didn't know quite how to respond..... Well, yeah, but...... The locals decided I was okay and at one point physically defended me when one of my PH brethren(?) tried to shove me out of the way. I'm not exactly petite, and the whole thing got a little scary. Jimmy did 15 songs? Loved it, but I would have guessed half that, as distracted as we were by the bedlam.

Sorry Jen, that you had to put up with that un-Buffetty behavior. Hopefully JB will play at the Casa next time.
The reason i said all along , it would be nuts that Buffett played Streetfest...we got ourselves to a pretty good spot going around and down back streets.....was able to get Matt and myself in front of the Landshark Fin ( right of the stage) without being to obnoxious....a couple with 2 small children let us stand were we were...very nice....asked if they wanted to stand in front of us , they said they were good where they were.....But , yes Casa would of been much easier and Jen i agree streetfest was open to all. Sorta expected the craziness....even though i really didn't witness it....just hearing what others went through....but yes a great set..except for the encore.
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
I repeatedly heard from the locals and cabbies that they do not like MOTM. Their experience with PH's over the years have been taxing at best. They come off from a huge week of Fantasy Fest and say the MOTM attendees are 10 times worse in behavior. For some reason when PH's come to Key West they act like they are entitled and own the Island. They have a reputation as being cheap, bad tippers and rude. One night at the Chart Room I witnessed a group of 4 (dressed in PH garb) come in, eat a ton of free hot dogs and leave without buying a drink or leaving a tip. Emily, the Chart Room bartender, said it happens throughout the day , everyday. Many locals said that Jimmy should have played Streetfest to give back to the community because they have a love/hate relationship with him and if he played a private show it would have been a slap in the face. Key West is so much more than JB and they feel he has capitalized at their expense. (Just sharing what I was told). The most uncomfortable I felt all week was in Margaritaville watching the Boat Drunks, I was actually a little embarrassed to say I was part of this convention. Not all PH are like this and Chris and I and our housemates were asked many times if we were locals because we didn't display this behavior, our cabbies gave us his personal cellphone number so we would call him, we were invited to a barbecue in the neighborhood and got the local rates at bars thanks to Tam. It just shows that you get what you give. Maybe PHIP should send out an etiquette guide to the clubs.

Agreed, there was a lot of rude behavior and of course they are always decked out in full PH regalia, which none of us did/do - so everyone knows exactly who the offending parties are. I think a "this is someone else's home" guide might be in order in the future.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
CreolaInMySoul-a

MacPhin wrote:
TongaTam wrote:
MacPhin wrote:we had a great time. where did all the time go because i would like some of it back, please?? i want to thank all of our housemates for some great memories. walking home our last night there i was so depressed thinking it had to come to an end.
back at work today...my back and neck are killing me and it's almost completely dark out now at 4:11 pm..WTF???
i wanna go back..i hear my little red bike calling my name.

thanks to all, too many to name.
Our house pretty much rocked huh!? Between the roomies, couch surfers and our regular visitors like Jack, Stacie, Lesley, Corey (two of the couch surfers even!)... wow! Now.. think they'll let us back there next year?! hahaha...
yes! :lol:
i wonder how long it took for the cooler of beers we left outside was snatched up?
When I dropped off the keys to the house the Management company seemed happy that we left a full cooler of beer on the porch and a bottle of wine on the counter. :D Maybe they will let us come back :D :D
Image Image Image
CreolaInMySoul-a

dnw wrote:
Summerlover wrote:Back from our first MOTM and we had a blast. We met many from the forum and big thanks for including us in the group. :D

We got to partake in some tonga juice which was delicious. Tam I do hope your ankle will heal fast and if your gonna have something happen like this at least it was the last day.

I am still recovering and look forward to having a long weekend coming up. My tolerance to night after night of drinking and standing proved I just can't do it. LOL

Dave and Carol, hope your flights went well ((hugs))

Pam, didn't even get a text or a goodbye?? :(

Hope our paths cross again soon. We won't make it next year, need to get to the panhandle next spring. We haven't been back for many years and it is time. Then again maybe a Tampa and then just roll on over to the panhandle??

Have a great holiday season everyone!!

:( :( :(

Met everyone but you and laura1974. Maybe next year.
Weren't you both at Jack's party?
Image Image Image
TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

ScarletB wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
I repeatedly heard from the locals and cabbies that they do not like MOTM. Their experience with PH's over the years have been taxing at best. They come off from a huge week of Fantasy Fest and say the MOTM attendees are 10 times worse in behavior. For some reason when PH's come to Key West they act like they are entitled and own the Island. They have a reputation as being cheap, bad tippers and rude. One night at the Chart Room I witnessed a group of 4 (dressed in PH garb) come in, eat a ton of free hot dogs and leave without buying a drink or leaving a tip. Emily, the Chart Room bartender, said it happens throughout the day , everyday. Many locals said that Jimmy should have played Streetfest to give back to the community because they have a love/hate relationship with him and if he played a private show it would have been a slap in the face. Key West is so much more than JB and they feel he has capitalized at their expense. (Just sharing what I was told). The most uncomfortable I felt all week was in Margaritaville watching the Boat Drunks, I was actually a little embarrassed to say I was part of this convention. Not all PH are like this and Chris and I and our housemates were asked many times if we were locals because we didn't display this behavior, our cabbies gave us his personal cellphone number so we would call him, we were invited to a barbecue in the neighborhood and got the local rates at bars thanks to Tam. It just shows that you get what you give. Maybe PHIP should send out an etiquette guide to the clubs.

Agreed, there was a lot of rude behavior and of course they are always decked out in full PH regalia, which none of us did/do - so everyone knows exactly who the offending parties are. I think a "this is someone else's home" guide might be in order in the future.
Now i understand some of the unfriendly service....we are labeled by other peoples actions.....I think Jimmy should do something for the town......but, not when there are big events in town...it should be for them.

side thing on the tipping....i bartend at a theatre, and i think it's the economy , you charge a lot for a drink, people just don't tip....i saw it last night at least 10 times...then there people that will tip for a bottle of water....bar prices are rediculas....i think there is about 24 shots in a 5th..Jack can clerify this....at a 30.00 bottle ( top shelf)...thats about .66 mixers are cheap....so when paying 6.00 for a drink that cost is about 1.00 - 1.50....why they do it i know , is to keep the drinking down and it's easy money....but it also explains cheapness on some.
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
MacPhin wrote:
TongaTam wrote:
MacPhin wrote:we had a great time. where did all the time go because i would like some of it back, please?? i want to thank all of our housemates for some great memories. walking home our last night there i was so depressed thinking it had to come to an end.
back at work today...my back and neck are killing me and it's almost completely dark out now at 4:11 pm..WTF???
i wanna go back..i hear my little red bike calling my name.

thanks to all, too many to name.
Our house pretty much rocked huh!? Between the roomies, couch surfers and our regular visitors like Jack, Stacie, Lesley, Corey (two of the couch surfers even!)... wow! Now.. think they'll let us back there next year?! hahaha...
yes! :lol:
i wonder how long it took for the cooler of beers we left outside was snatched up?
When I dropped off the keys to the house the Management company seemed happy that we left a full cooler of beer on the porch and a bottle of wine on the counter. :D Maybe they will let us come back :D :D
your down payment for next year!!
Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 64
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

dnw wrote:

Sorry Jen, that you had to put up with that un-Buffetty behavior. Hopefully JB will play at the Casa next time.
Unfortunately Deb.....I think that most of the insane behavior was done on the part of our dysfunctional family members. I doubt the fact that it would be held at the Casa would deter them from acting out in the same manner.

People thought Jimmy......or Zac Brown.....or Kenny Chesney were going to show up at the Casa on Saturday night and started plopping personal chairs down or snatching recliners of folks swimming in the ocean and moving them closer to the big stage by 4:30 PM when Jim Morris was on. Near the stage front people were yelling at others not to stand in front of them (they were seated in chairs). Asking someone not to stand and dance at a concert is sort of like asking the wind not to blow. :-? After the street fest, we stayed near the pool bar for the Saturday night show. :wink:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"
CreolaInMySoul-a

TommyBahama wrote:
ScarletB wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:

Now i understand some of the unfriendly service....we are labeled by other peoples actions.....I think Jimmy should do something for the town......but, not when there are big events in town...it should be for them.

side thing on the tipping....i bartend at a theatre, and i think it's the economy , you charge a lot for a drink, people just don't tip....i saw it last night at least 10 times...then there people that will tip for a bottle of water....bar prices are rediculas....i think there is about 24 shots in a 5th..Jack can clerify this....at a 30.00 bottle ( top shelf)...thats about .66 mixers are cheap....so when paying 6.00 for a drink that cost is about 1.00 - 1.50....why they do it i know , is to keep the drinking down and it's easy money....but it also explains cheapness on some.
Don't forget that the establishments have to pay for utilities, staff, computers, licenses, insurance, taxes, ice machines, ovens, music and the consumables, etc etc... I think the US pay rate for waitstaff is up to $4.65 an hour, they rely on our tips to pay their rent and to support their families.
Last edited by CreolaInMySoul-a on November 12, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

Back in 2009 there was a rumor that Jimmy would show up at the Casa on his way to St Barts - he didn't but from what I heard there was a lot of pushing, shoving and rude behavior then as well as show time got close. On St Barts we camped out all day (literally for 12 hours) to be in front and then as it got closer to Jimmy's appearance more and more people showed up and pushed and pushed to get closer - we were able to hold our spot but not without the guys in our group forming a barrier of sorts behind us. It's the same everywhere, and people wonder why he doesn't do more appearances like this. I have to say, we don't really deserve it as a group. And even on St Barts, it was the people in full PH gear that seemed to be the worst offenders. It's embarrassing. At MOTM on Saturday night I was planning on staying home because I felt so lousy but Ambition at Bay called to tell me a cuban band was playing down by Mallory Square so I went down there for a bit. It was great, no loud drunken crowd, just families with their kids dancing to the music. After that we stopped briefly at the Tuna and since most folks were back at the Casa, it was nice there as well, Scott was singing and a nice chill crowd was relaxing and listening. I would say that most, if not all, BN folks are among the exceptions to the rude PH rule - I know, as a group, we are pretty aware of the impression we leave on the locals. It's a shame that some of the clubs give us all a black eye. An extra word of thanks and a decent tip go a long way.
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
ScarletB wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:

Don't forget that the establishments have to pay for utilities, staff, computers, licenses, insurance, taxes, ice machines, ovens, music and the consumables, etc etc... I think the US pay rate for waitstaff is up to $4.65 an hour, they rely on our tips to pay their rent and to support their families.
i agree totally....i rely on it now being unemployed.....i know there are added cost thats involved in a drink......there is also food served at a lot of estblishments too.......i'm just saying that the economy has a lot to do with it.......if a drink cost 4.00 they give you a 5...usually it's keep the change...a 6.00 drink you are giving them change back and they usually keep it....thats what i've witnessed doing it.....beer drinkers are the best because it's cheaper then a mixed drink and they leave the change......last night i had a couple one ordered a Manhattan and the other a Martini...came to 16.00 , they gave me a 20.00 and kept the change.
Summerlover
Fruitcake
Favorite Boat Drink: Vodka and lime

Post by Summerlover »

CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
dnw wrote:
Summerlover wrote:Back from our first MOTM and we had a blast. We met many from the forum and big thanks for including us in the group. :D

We got to partake in some tonga juice which was delicious. Tam I do hope your ankle will heal fast and if your gonna have something happen like this at least it was the last day.

I am still recovering and look forward to having a long weekend coming up. My tolerance to night after night of drinking and standing proved I just can't do it. LOL

Hope our paths cross again soon. We won't make it next year, need to get to the panhandle next spring. We haven't been back for many years and it is time. Then again maybe a Tampa and then just roll on over to the panhandle??

Ya, we missed some of you. Sad face........

CreolaInMySoul, we were at your place more than not!!! LOL but I think you figured out who I am?

It was my first look baby that's all it took
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
dnw wrote:

[smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif]

Yes, but I didn't meet Summerlover or Laura.

Debbie
MacPhin
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything BUT Cheeseburger
Favorite Boat Drink: PainKiller

Post by MacPhin »

Carolinadreamin' wrote:
dnw wrote:

Unfortunately Deb.....I think that most of the insane behavior was done on the part of our dysfunctional family members. I doubt the fact that it would be held at the Casa would deter them from acting out in the same manner.

People thought Jimmy......or Zac Brown.....or Kenny Chesney were going to show up at the Casa on Saturday night and started plopping personal chairs down or snatching recliners of folks swimming in the ocean and moving them closer to the big stage by 4:30 PM when Jim Morris was on. Near the stage front people were yelling at others not to stand in front of them (they were seated in chairs). Asking someone not to stand and dance at a concert is sort of like asking the wind not to blow. :-? After the street fest, we stayed near the pool bar for the Saturday night show. :wink:
I agree that PHIP should send out a message about behavior. It has gotten so bad. Many of you saw what happened to Dave and me at Scott and Peter's show on Wednesday night. One of the responses that this PH gave was..."I'm a Parrotthead!" This gives him the right to be rude and call Dave an a**hole (numerous times)? Anyone who knows Dave, knows he's far from that. He even apologized to this jerk when the PH was the one at fault. And he's a southerner...just to put it back in the previous BN'ers face. People can be rude no matter where you're from. The world has forgotten what manners are. I don't blame the residents for hating MOTM one bit. Any president of a club who reads these posts...please address this behavior w/i your club.

off my soapbox for now.
Image Image
JB on Anguilla 3/24/07 St.Barth's 11/7/09

Lately,newspaper mentioned cheap airfare.
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere.
I'm close to bodily harm.
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

Carol, sadly it sounds like that some of the worst behavior and attitude of entitlement came from some who are pretty high up on the club food chain. It may have to come from PHIP, that reports of rude behavior were widespread - although the worst offenders probably wouldn't even realize that anyone was talking about them anyway.
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

MacPhin wrote:
Carolinadreamin' wrote:
dnw wrote:

I agree that PHIP should send out a message about behavior. It has gotten so bad. Many of you saw what happened to Dave and me at Scott and Peter's show on Wednesday night. One of the responses that this PH gave was..."I'm a Parrotthead!" This gives him the right to be rude and call Dave an a**hole (numerous times)? Anyone who knows Dave, knows he's far from that. He even apologized to this jerk when the PH was the one at fault. And he's a southerner...just to put it back in the previous BN'ers face. People can be rude no matter where you're from. The world has forgotten what manners are. I don't blame the residents for hating MOTM one bit. Any president of a club who reads these posts...please address this behavior w/i your club.

off my soapbox for now.
thats what happens when excessive drinking is involved...for a better lack of terms , there are the professionals who can drink and still act human and there are the amateurs who think they are invincible and act anyway they want....liquid courage!!
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

TommyBahama wrote:
MacPhin wrote:
Carolinadreamin' wrote:
dnw wrote:

off my soapbox for now.
thats what happens when excessive drinking is involved...for a better lack of terms , there are the professionals who can drink and still act human and there are the amateurs who think they are invincible and act anyway they want....liquid courage!!

So true, Tommy.

Debbie
CreolaInMySoul-a

Summerlover wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
dnw wrote:

Ya, we missed some of you. Sad face........

CreolaInMySoul, we were at your place more than not!!! LOL but I think you figured out who I am?
I was just thinking that you and dnw were in the same house at the same time but never got introduced :D :D Paths crossing in the night :D :D
Image Image Image
CreolaInMySoul-a

TommyBahama wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
ScarletB wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:

i agree totally....i rely on it now being unemployed.....i know there are added cost thats involved in a drink......there is also food served at a lot of estblishments too.......i'm just saying that the economy has a lot to do with it.......if a drink cost 4.00 they give you a 5...usually it's keep the change...a 6.00 drink you are giving them change back and they usually keep it....thats what i've witnessed doing it.....beer drinkers are the best because it's cheaper then a mixed drink and they leave the change......last night i had a couple one ordered a Manhattan and the other a Martini...came to 16.00 , they gave me a 20.00 and kept the change.
Ouch, were they dressed in tropical shirts, leis and a chicken hat? Ha ha Just kidding :D :D
Image Image Image
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

ScarletB wrote:Carol, sadly it sounds like that some of the worst behavior and attitude of entitlement came from some who are pretty high up on the club food chain. It may have to come from PHIP, that reports of rude behavior were widespread - although the worst offenders probably wouldn't even realize that anyone was talking about them anyway.
Yep. A man I recognized as a club officer literally elbowed me in the ribs to get in front of me at Peter's show. I SO hope in the truth of What Goes Around Comes Around.

It's the little victories. I watched PHs abuse a bartender at Conch Republic for a while and listened to the bartenders and locals saying how glad they were that the PHs were clearing out and the boat people coming in. He'd been a little surly and curt when I first sat down but I was polite, said please and thank you, and soon enough he warmed up. I'd be a little surly and curt too if I had to deal with some of us. I got a good deal of satisfaction from his grin when I handed him my bill, told him keep the change (it wasn't an outrageous tip but it was very good) and asked him to please remember that all PHs aren't jerks and bad tippers. :D
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally