Margaritaville - Gulf Shores, AL

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Map1105
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of a son of a sailor
Number of Concerts: 0

Margaritaville - Gulf Shores, AL

Post by Map1105 »

Who went to the Margaritaville in Gulf Shores, AL back in the 1980s? It was located on the corner of Hwy. 59 and Fort Morgan Road...now a Rite Aid or CVS. :-(
I have wondered what year it opened and was possibly the first Margaritaville. Since the one in Key West opened in 1985 it is possible. Jimmy Buffett grew up in L.A. (Lower Alabama) in Fairhope and his sister now owns LuLu's in Gulf Shores not too far from the old Margaritaville location.
conched
Last Man Standing

Re: Margaritaville - Gulf Shores, AL

Post by conched »

Jimmy talked about it during the Gulf Coast show. I think...
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

I have researched this in the past. I'm helping a friend with his book.
I have some more data buried on my PC somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

From the Tuscaloosa News June 19, 1984 ....

"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

From an August 16, 1985 Special to the News and Sun-Sentinel |By Frederick Burger
an interview with Fingers Taylor ....

"One of Fingers` comeback concerts was at JB`s Margaritaville, a 180-seat Gulf Shores, Ala., bar in which Buffett has a financial interest. It was there in June 1984 that the two reunited after a year long separation. Buffett performed opening night and invited Taylor down to reprise their original two-man show. They played for three hours."

Full article HERE.
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

From a post over at *another Jimmy Buffett forum* ....

quote from hidell, 2 posts
The Original "J.B.'s Margaritaville" sat at the intersection of Hwys 59 and 180 (Fort Morgan) in Gulf Shores. There is currently a Walgreens on that site now. I spent way too many nights at this establishment, from the first year open, 1984, to it's closing in 1988. After 1986 though, the "J.B.'s was dropped from the title and it was just known as Margaritaville until it's closing in 1988. It was nothing like the Margaritaville clubs are now. There was very little, if any beachy decor. It was more dance clubish that hosted live music, including a Pensacola reggae band every Tuesday for "Rum and Reggae", Lazy Day. In addition to the JB shows there I also saw Otis Day and the Knight's for a toga party, A Flock of Seagulls, and Leon Russell and Edgar Winter together.

It had a sloping ramp down to the main floor with curved, flat railings that we would sit on and scope out the ladies as they ventured down to the dance floor and the tables. They used to run loops of surfing, sailing, and sailboarding videos on monitors.

Jimmy did play there in 1984 and 1985. I can't remember seeing him there in 1986 though, but that doesn't mean that he didn't; just that I can't remember.

I still have my "locals" card from those years, and I think I still have a t-shirt as well.

It was a different time though, and Gulf Shores is far different from what it is now.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Thanks to SunLover you can listen to It's Five O'Clock Somewhere and Jimmy's comment about the first Margaritaville in Gulf Shores.

http://cuebas.net/buffett/20100711_gulf ... ewhere.mp3
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Good job, sp!!
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

surfpirate wrote:I have researched this in the past. I'm helping a friend with his book.
I have some more data buried on my PC somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

From the Tuscaloosa News June 19, 1984 ....

Oh! According to that article the album cover for Riddles In The Sand was shot in Gulf Shores. I always thought Texas. I knew that beach was too pretty. ;)
catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Post by catsway »

In the '80's, Cathi and I had a studio condo near the west end of Fort Morgan Road at Gulf Shores Plantation. We purchased it after Hurricane Fredrick messed things up there in 1979. We sold it in 1993 when we moved to Miramar Beach. We traveled from Huntsville, Alabama, where we lived at the time, to Gulf Shores frequently. The original Margaritaville was pretty much the only bar at the corner where we would turn off Hyw. 59 and go to the condo. We would stock up on groceries, stop by the bar, have a couple of beers before making the final run to the condo. It was a beach bar with live music in every sense of the word. We weren't fans at the time. Just thirsty.
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Neat post catsway.

Here is what Jimmy said about the first Margaritaville in Gulf Shores:

"We're coming home in a lot of ways here..." JB

Another little fact that Jimmy gave us after It's Five O'Clock Somewhere is that the actual first Margaritaville was in Gulf Shores, AL before it was in Key West, but it didn't do so well. He said that it was a learning process. (He said to put that up on WILCOPEDIA (sic) or "you can throw it in the Gulf.")
Map1105
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of a son of a sailor
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Map1105 »

Wow, thanks y'all!! Great info!