Beginning of the end?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Beginning of the end?

Post by jbfins »

Over the past hour I logged in twice to buy tickets for the Tuesday night Jones Beach show. Both times I had no problems getting 4 seats together. (I backed out each time because I am not sure my kids are ready yet and the prices were a little too high for my liking.)

Don't JB shows usually sell out in a matter of minutes? How could I get 4 seats an hour after the tickets went on sale?
"Some people never find it..."
familyof5parrottheads
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: tin cup chalice
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito's n cranberry n soda

Re: Beginning of the end?

Post by familyof5parrottheads »

jbfins wrote:Over the past hour I logged in twice to buy tickets for the Tuesday night Jones Beach show. Both times I had no problems getting 4 seats together. (I backed out each time because I am not sure my kids are ready yet and the prices were a little too high for my liking.)

Don't JB shows usually sell out in a matter of minutes? How could I get 4 seats an hour after the tickets went on sale?
This year 2 shows.
I figure the tues show will sell last because if you go to thurs you just take a long weekend.
I am off on weds so makes sense for me as to only take tues off from work.
I love JB but 2 shows in any town now just loses it appeal especially at these prices.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Two shows, both mid week? Meh.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

jbfins wrote:Over the past hour I logged in twice to buy tickets for the Tuesday night Jones Beach show. Both times I had no problems getting 4 seats together. (I backed out each time because I am not sure my kids are ready yet and the prices were a little too high for my liking.)

Sellouts in rapid time usually happen when tickets go on sale on Saturday mornings when more people are off from work.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Not counting the Virginia beach show, none of Jimmy's show are sold out. It has been this way for years now. The economy and $136 ticket price don't help either. Now I'm sure there are some on this board who would argue that jimmy has been "selling out" for years. :)
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

backstreets77
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate\Redemption Song
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Steel Bottom
Location: I left NEPA for the sweetest place on earth Hershey

Post by backstreets77 »

Im at the point now where with the economy the way it is, 136 is a little pricey. Keep in mind that doesnt include tax and fees. Plus in our area it seems to be mid-week shows. I just cant afford to take days off work anymore and do the hotel thing, plus tolls, at at these prices. I know when I got my Springsteen tickets they were signifigantly less and I feel I get more of a show there. But thats just my opinion.

I was tossing around the idea of seeing ZZ Top because I always wanted to see them but there tickets are starting arouind 80-90. Just not worth it to me at that price.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

backstreets77 wrote:I was tossing around the idea of seeing ZZ Top because I always wanted to see them but there tickets are starting arouind 80-90. Just not worth it to me at that price.
Rush is going to be here (Raleigh) soon. The least expensive tix are around $60 (after service charges). Same thing for Clapton, who's playing the same venue (PNC Arena). Yeah, it's around $20 cheaper than those ZZ Top tix but it seems that price range is pretty much the going rate for most concerts these days. I guess it just boils down to how bad you want to see a particular artist. I know I don't want to pay that much and sit in an area of the arena where you're so far away that the performer is just a speck on the stage. If it's someone I really want to see I'll pay a little more to sit closer or, more often than not, I'll just pass on seeing them altogether. I've never seen Clapton in concert and with the recent announcement that he's going to retire from touring at age 70 (at least from large scale tours) I feel like I'd like to see him while I still can but in all likelihood I'll be passing on the opportunity.
LiveandletLiver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: I'll get back to you on this
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Coke (sucks don't it)

Post by LiveandletLiver »

Everyone is spot on.

There were floor seats available for the last show in Vegas when I logged on TicketRippoff the Friday before the show. I chose to buy mine on ebay and paid fifty cents on the dollar for floor seats. I think JB has just made the decision to sell 90-95% of the seats @ a high price rather than lower prices to sell out the venues. It really doesn't bother me because I set a budget for tickets and I always get them. This just makes it easier.
nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

Pine Knob always sells out within minutes. For a mid week show.

Anxiously awaiting the announcement of a Detroit show....
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Two mid-week shows on Long Island. Traffic. High ticket prices. I'd be surprised if both these shows sell out.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

The beginning of the end was years ago. We're just hoping the end of the end doesn't come for a while...
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

High ticket prices, pretty much the same show for the last 10 years, more cover songs and fewer Buffett songs every year. Maybe people think their entertainment dollars are better spent elsewhere. [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

LIPH wrote:High ticket prices, pretty much the same show for the last 10 years, more cover songs and fewer Buffett songs every year. Maybe people think their entertainment dollars are better spent elsewhere. [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]

Yep :-? I wish it wasn't so, but Larry hit the nail right on the head.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Nighthawk
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

nutmeg wrote:Pine Knob always sells out within minutes. For a mid week show.

Anxiously awaiting the announcement of a Detroit show....

But Pine Knob is also a really really small venue. Went there once to see Heart, and was amazed on the size of the place. I sat in the pavilion and was really shocked that it didn't hold much at all, and the lawn reminded me of a front lawn in a metro city almost non-exsistant. I liked the venue a hell of a lot.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

BottleofRum wrote:Two mid-week shows on Long Island. Traffic. High ticket prices. I'd be surprised if both these shows sell out.
Traffic. Thanks for reminding me. We were so scr**ed by it last year.
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I haven't seen Buffett in concert since the mid-90's. I'm still as big of a fan as I've ever been but I don't feel like I've really missed out on anything. The abundance of live albums he's released in the years since seem to reinforce that with the one notable exception being Live In Anguilla where he dared to try something different that strayed from the formula. I had hoped that as he grew older that he might try more projects where he dared to be different but this appears to be the exception rather than the rule.
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

Tiki Torches wrote:
backstreets77 wrote:I was tossing around the idea of seeing ZZ Top because I always wanted to see them but there tickets are starting arouind 80-90. Just not worth it to me at that price.
Rush is going to be here (Raleigh) soon. The least expensive tix are around $60 (after service charges). Same thing for Clapton, who's playing the same venue (PNC Arena). Yeah, it's around $20 cheaper than those ZZ Top tix but it seems that price range is pretty much the going rate for most concerts these days. I guess it just boils down to how bad you want to see a particular artist. I know I don't want to pay that much and sit in an area of the arena where you're so far away that the performer is just a speck on the stage. If it's someone I really want to see I'll pay a little more to sit closer or, more often than not, I'll just pass on seeing them altogether. I've never seen Clapton in concert and with the recent announcement that he's going to retire from touring at age 70 (at least from large scale tours) I feel like I'd like to see him while I still can but in all likelihood I'll be passing on the opportunity.

GO, Clapton is fantastic in person - best concert I've ever seen. Truly
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

ScarletB wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
GO, Clapton is fantastic in person - best concert I've ever seen. Truly
I have no doubt but in all likelihood I won't be able to swing the price of tickets to see him from a closer vantage point. I really don't have any desire to see him from the back of the arena just to say I saw him in concert.
STL Parrot
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with Rum

Post by STL Parrot »

Jimmy's not attracting new fans and the old fans who have seen him in concert a gazillion times are tired of the Big 8 or 9 or 10...so maybe it's time to dump some of the old favorites and bring on some new old favorites.
Nighthawk
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

If you can make it to New Yuck City I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going to this one. Saw one of the ones he did in Chicagoland a few years ago, and by far it was truly amazing. Tickets are priced fair for a full day of great music on a revolving stage so your not without music for more than usually 15 minutes. And the jams they have when others join others on stage is something to be seen. Clapton will be on stage throughout the day too.

http://www.crossroadsguitarfestival.com/line-up

Just noticed its a 2 day event and it is indoors. Still Highly recommend anyone who is out there to go.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.