Which is the better venue-Jones Beach or Holmdel?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Gypsy In The Palace
I Love the Now!

Which is the better venue-Jones Beach or Holmdel?

Post by Gypsy In The Palace »

New York/New Jersey area parrotheads, overall, which venue is better? Jones Beach or Homdel?

Thanks in advance.

AintMarvinGardens
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Listerine

Re: Which is the better venue-Jones Beach or Homdel?

Post by AintMarvinGardens »

I'm about 10 minutes from Holmdel and it is not a great venue. It's pretty dated actually. The tailgate situation is iffy and you will probably have to take a shuttle bus if you aren't a fan of a 20 minute walk in NJ humidity. I graduated HS there 25 years ago and the only thing that I can tell that they changed was adding more seats while taking away more lawn.

I have never been to Jones Beach, but it seems to have a better rep than Holmdel.
The report of my death was an exaggeration. -Mark Twain, 1897

Everything you read on the internet is true. -Abraham Lincoln, 1866

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I used to live on Long Island so Jones Beach was my "home" venue, from 1993-2015 I only missed 1 Buffett show there. I missed 2016, went in 2017, didn't go last year and I'm not going this year. There have been more and more people there every year who just show up for the tailgate so they can get hammered. I'm too old to deal with the party til you puke crowd.

It's the beach so the parking lots open at sunrise. You used to be able to show up 9:30-10:00 and get a good spot in the lot. Two years ago we got to the lot about 5:45am and there had to be at least 200 cars lined up already. They let you save spots and too many people abuse the privilege, they rope off 10-15 spots for when their friends show up later so even getting to the lot early doesn't guarantee you a good spot. Two years ago when we got back to our cars after the show, the parking lot looked like a garbage dump, people left their trash all over. That was when I decided I was never going back to Jones Beach.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Saltx3
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

The Jones beach venue is awesome -- the view of the stage with the water and the boats in the background -- can't beat it.

The parking lot -- a very different story :(

This will be our first year at Holmdel and we understand the tailgating there may be limited (at best).
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

AintMarvinGardens wrote:
May 23, 2019 10:09 am
I'm about 10 minutes from Holmdel and it is not a great venue. It's pretty dated actually. The tailgate situation is iffy and you will probably have to take a shuttle bus if you aren't a fan of a 20 minute walk in NJ humidity. I graduated HS there 25 years ago and the only thing that I can tell that they changed was adding more seats while taking away more lawn.

I have never been to Jones Beach, but it seems to have a better rep than Holmdel.
You stole my answer! LOL

Grew up attending the Holmdel venue. The venue ownership has changed over the years but it was never a big party atmosphere like GW, JB or some other venues. I've low-key partied in the lots with no problem but I also once had a small flask snatched out of my hand by Security while sitting on a blanket on the lawn. I've heard it's even less festive since they added the Veterans memorial and the catering venue on the grounds, e.g. classing up the place, and since some underage drinking issues with other acts. Also, the venue is and always has been literally right next door to a NJ State Police barracks so that's a factor, too. Jimmy hasn't performed there in decades. I'm going to Holmdel his year because I'll be in NJ anyway for some family stuff.

Never been to Jones Beach but it looks great. The park opens early in the morning, you can hang all day at the beach and see the show with the water in the background. The crowd looks fun. It's a bucket-list venue for me.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Saltx3 wrote:
May 23, 2019 1:58 pm
The Jones beach venue is awesome -- the view of the stage with the water and the boats in the background -- can't beat it.

This will be our first year at Holmdel and we understand the tailgating there may be limited (at best).
What was the problem with the JB parking lots? :-?
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

SharkysMV1
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonics

Post by SharkysMV1 »

Unless Jones Beach has changed (I haven’t been in 5+ years), I don’t think you can buy beer/wine/alcohol inside. It’s made for a long show...

Pretty decent tailgating, but nothing compared to Mansfield.
Taste for the good life, I could live it no other way...

Saltx3
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

lime rickie wrote:
May 23, 2019 6:21 pm
Saltx3 wrote:
May 23, 2019 1:58 pm

What was the problem with the JB parking lots? :-?
stealing from Larry..........It's the beach so the parking lots open at sunrise. You used to be able to show up 9:30-10:00 and get a good spot in the lot. Two years ago we got to the lot about 5:45am and there had to be at least 200 cars lined up already. They let you save spots and too many people abuse the privilege, they rope off 10-15 spots for when their friends show up later so even getting to the lot early doesn't guarantee you a good spot. Two years ago when we got back to our cars after the show, the parking lot looked like a garbage dump, people left their trash all over. That was when I decided I was never going back to Jones Beach.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda

moog
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by moog »

The Arts Center was my first Buffett Concert in 1991. I prefer Jones Beach but since I live off the Cheesequake Service Area, Holmdel this year. My bachelor days I would have done both.

The Arts Center is small and as said above parking stinks. Plus the State Police may not open the lots early. Jones Beach is nice because of the Ocean. At least I don’t have to deal with the Belt Parkway. I agree with the JB lots being a mess after the show. It has gotten worse this decade. Plus the people taking up spots kind of aggravating to park if you get there at 2pm. Have to walk in the dark about two major lots after the show . That aside Jones Beach doesn’t have lawn seats where you feel like you are on the subway at rush hour. PNC is tight on the lawn and I avoid it because the youngsters are annoying with their drunk behavior.

Touch O Parrotdise
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 30

Post by Touch O Parrotdise »

we stopped going to JB in 2007. We had enough of the It's 5 o'clock somewhere crowd. That's the song that put the nail in the coffin for me. Beer throwing and fights and the obstacle course parking lot on the way out.. :-?

Finzup16
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Finzup16 »

The others above are correct. Jones Beach is great for a lot of reasons. The beach, the all day tailgate, free parking, but............
It's definitely been taken over by the party till you puke teenage crowd.

I do JB and Mansfield every year. My whole crew are Long Islanders, but Boston is a much better Parrot head experience (IMHO)

Mhozlock
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor

Re: Which is the better venue-Jones Beach or Holmdel?

Post by Mhozlock »

Jones Beach is cool. The Holmdel venue has a small lawn area so if going there and on lawn you must get in early. At Bob Seger last month many were standing to sides as no lawn space left. And pre rent chairs if you need, they run out.

A1A-BJB
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Too many to pick
Favorite Boat Drink: All kinds of rum

Post by A1A-BJB »

LIPH wrote:
May 23, 2019 11:21 am
I used to live on Long Island so Jones Beach was my "home" venue, from 1993-2015 I only missed 1 Buffett show there. I missed 2016, went in 2017, didn't go last year and I'm not going this year. There have been more and more people there every year who just show up for the tailgate so they can get hammered. I'm too old to deal with the party til you puke crowd.

It's the beach so the parking lots open at sunrise. You used to be able to show up 9:30-10:00 and get a good spot in the lot. Two years ago we got to the lot about 5:45am and there had to be at least 200 cars lined up already. They let you save spots and too many people abuse the privilege, they rope off 10-15 spots for when their friends show up later so even getting to the lot early doesn't guarantee you a good spot. Two years ago when we got back to our cars after the show, the parking lot looked like a garbage dump, people left their trash all over. That was when I decided I was never going back to Jones Beach.
Sadly, I have to agree with you - and I also went to the JB shows almost without fail in that same time period. For me, the final nail in the coffin was the advent of Margaritaville-dot-TV, a year after I felt the same frustration you did. I can now catch the shows from my own home via computer, drink whenever and whatever I want and not have to deal with the tailgate parking BS, the garbage piles afterward or the drive home to Westchester County.

I would seriously reconsider going to a JB show if it happened at MSG or the Barclay Center, or even at Bethel Woods. But for now, Jones Beach is out AFAIC. A real shame, because the venue is right by the ocean and there were many times I've seen the moon come up during the show. Nothing like it.
". . .Can't get no gyro, smokin' in a bar in Cairo. . ."