Time for Jimmy to stop covering "BEG"

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

msu#1
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Time for Jimmy to stop covering "BEG"

Post by msu#1 »

One his catalog is way to big to be constantly covering this song.....proven by the songs u don't know success....

Secondly and even worse is that van morrison and Eric clapton have set out to destroy their legacies....they have both decided that covid is a hoax and lockdowns need to stop.

They put out a song in protest of lockdowns as covid surges out of control this month everywhere.

For context...because I know the right wing bunch on this site will start attacking me.....Eric Clapton is the reason I play guitar...maybe the most influential person when it comes to music in my life outside of Jimmy.

It hurts beyond belief he has gone "crazy old man". I gave him the benefit of doubt over the videos from the 70's yelling racist stuff at his concerts...I totally loved what he did for drug addiction but to claim covid is a hoax and lockdowns should be lifted to "save live shows" is not cool with me...

Van morrison....meh take or leave him but proud that Jimmy has stood with nurses doctors and scientists while taking a logical approach to try to help out small time performers who can't go on stage right now.

I won't be selling my clapton black strat but she is no longer my number one.....my first love blue gibson sg melody maker is back like a high school flame on facebook
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Re: Time for Jimmy to stop covering "BEG"

Post by palmettopirate »

I'm right wing and I don't see anything in your post that deserves attack. Even if I disagree with your, or anyone else's, opinion on COVID I would never challenge your right to speak out about it. However this attitude is not shared by everyone in the country these days.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
MICHIPHIN
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks
Number of Concerts: 48
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Beer

Post by MICHIPHIN »

Not to mention.....what it all has to do with "Brown Eyed Girl"........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Trying to Reason, With Hurricane Season......
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

MICHIPHIN wrote: December 17, 2020 6:24 pm Not to mention.....what it all has to do with "Brown Eyed Girl"........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Uh huh.
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

msu#1 wrote: November 28, 2020 1:51 pm One his catalog is way to big to be constantly covering this song.....proven by the songs u don't know success....

Secondly and even worse is that van morrison and Eric clapton have set out to destroy their legacies....they have both decided that covid is a hoax and lockdowns need to stop.

They put out a song in protest of lockdowns as covid surges out of control this month everywhere.

For context...because I know the right wing bunch on this site will start attacking me.....Eric Clapton is the reason I play guitar...maybe the most influential person when it comes to music in my life outside of Jimmy.

It hurts beyond belief he has gone "crazy old man". I gave him the benefit of doubt over the videos from the 70's yelling racist stuff at his concerts...I totally loved what he did for drug addiction but to claim covid is a hoax and lockdowns should be lifted to "save live shows" is not cool with me...

Van morrison....meh take or leave him but proud that Jimmy has stood with nurses doctors and scientists while taking a logical approach to try to help out small time performers who can't go on stage right now.

I won't be selling my clapton black strat but she is no longer my number one.....my first love blue gibson sg melody maker is back like a high school flame on facebook
Never been a big Clapton fan at all, but I am a huge Van Morrison fan. His political views/views on Covid are totally irrelevant to me as long as I enjoy his music. Same is true for Buffett, or any other performer really. We can all have our opinions, but don't see how that would destroy their legacies at all. I would never boycott any musician's songs regardless of how much I may disagree with their world views. Van Morrison has virtually no stage presence- I don't hold that against him either. As long as he made great music that has resonated through the years, that is the only thing that matters.

Already stated my opinion on BEG itself in several other threads: Jimmy should not play it quite as frequently as he does, but it shouldn't be dropped entirely either. No matter how overplayed it may be on the radio, it will always remain an absolute classic.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018