First Song Jimmy Wrote

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

First Song Jimmy Wrote

Post by jbfins »

I have no idea what it is. I know so much useless information about this guy, but not this particular fact. Please help.
"Some people never find it..."
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Re: First Song Jimmy Wrote

Post by urlcenter »

JImmy's earliest material can be found on the album Buried Treasure Volume 1, which contains song demos recorded before Jimmy began recording for Barnaby Records
jbfins

Post by jbfins »

I know of his earlier stuff. But I am specifically wondering what was the first song he ever wrote.
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

jbfins wrote: January 11, 2022 10:51 am I know of his earlier stuff. But I am specifically wondering what was the first song he ever wrote.
I don't know if concrete information on this is out there. Artists often talk about songs they wrote very early on. In all the recordings I have listened to, I'm fairly certain Jimmy has not said which song he definitively wrote first. Maybe he can't even remember. I suggest checking out the earliest available recordings and seeing if Jimmy mentions something. Perhaps you could also contact him through his site. Maybe one of his managers will respond. During tours, Heiki mentions on the Margaritaville podcast that he can take questions posed to him on Twitter (margarillas i believe) and ask Jimmy. That may be your best bet.

As URL mentioned, perhaps it was on the list of Buried Treasure songs, or maybe he wrote one of the Down to Earth songs well before it was published.

I'd imagine he played just about all covers when noodling with Johnny Youngblood, or with Rick Bennett and the Upstairs Alliance. You never know....
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
jbfins

Post by jbfins »

Some good ideas. Thanks!
MICHIPHIN
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks
Number of Concerts: 48
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Beer

Post by MICHIPHIN »

It was a song called Southern Cross.

Supposedly, Julian has a good version of this.
Trying to Reason, With Hurricane Season......
N928J
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 99

Post by N928J »

Jimmy wrote this song around the same time as the Buried Treasure songs, maybe before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv0tiZNgEi4