A tribute: Losing a loved one to Alzheimer's...

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

SemiTrueSkerm
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 0

A tribute: Losing a loved one to Alzheimer's...

Post by SemiTrueSkerm »

Hi Friends...

Well, it's been a long time since I posted a thread. It's good to be back!
I've been busy the past year-plus weighing career decisions, buying a car, finalizing a trip to Rome later this fall, and working, working, working. In short, I've been quietly making noise...no different than anyone else.

But, I did want to share a story...perhaps, if for no other reason then to provide myself a therapeutic outlet through my writing. It's not meant to be a downer...because there is something to look forward to! But first, the story...

I was so sad to hear about Jimmy's father passing on May 1st. When I heard about the sad news, I think I played JB's False Echoes over and over and over again. What a powerfully haunting song...very beautiful. I couldn't help but be reminded of the parallels of Jimmy's father...and my grandfather. Both about the same age...both diagnosed with Alzheimer's about the same time. My grandfather was diagnosed back in 1994. I'm sure many other parrotheads who have known a loved one with Alzheimer's can relate...

Well, long story short, my grandfather lost his fight and passed away two weeks after Jimmy's father. It wasn't unexpected. Grandpa lived a full and wonderful life...

Now, weeks later, back in the routine of life, this past summer has been as hectic as ever. Unfortunately, after 6 consecutive years at Alpine, I missed JB there this year because of a friend's wedding. I had a blast at the wedding (ironically....only about 20 miles from Alpine) and we got the DJ to play JB at the reception. Anticipating missing JB at Alpine months ago...I figured I would just have to go a year without a Buffett concert.

However, thanks to this site, I've acquired some tickets!!! My girlfriend and I are coming down for the Cincy show! We really don't know anybody there...so if you're going...let me know...we're looking for fun tailgators! I can't tell you how excited I am...I've never been to Cincy for a Buffett show...(the birthplace of parrothead-ism...so I'm told!)

But first, a little unfinished business... We will detour from Wisconsin to Cincy by running over to Columbus the day before the show. There, I will visit Grandpa's gravesite for the first time since the funeral in May with my now widowed Grandmother. It will be sad, but I'm sure it will be healing.

Jimmy Buffett has long said that music is the only true universal language. That is especially true in how each parrothead interprets his words. "False Echoes" will forever link me to my own grandfather. Seeing Jimmy play any of his music...this year...will be my own personal link between Jimmy's loss...and my own. Ironically, Grandpa probably didn't even know who Jimmy Buffett was. But, the upcoming visit to Columbus, the concert in Cincy, the music of JB...at least this upcoming last week in August...will all remind me of own grandfather, whom I'm named after: Jim.

So, I hope to see you all in Cincy! I'm ready to have a REALLY good time to close the summer. That's why I love these concerts!!! You can have everything in your life being hectic, heavy, and busy...but for an afternoon...we're gong to "park all those things and go to Margaritaville!"

Thanks for listening! :)

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

My condolences to you on your Grandfathers passing, STS........ I can share your feelings because of my Grandmother, several years ago. Much good love and luck to you. :)

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Inactive User

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n »

Thanks for sharing your story and I am sorry for the loss. Music is truly the universal language and can soothe the soul when nothing else can

Ceol na Mara
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: "Jimmy Dreams"
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Frzn Strwbrry Daq w/real strwbrr & real cream

Post by Ceol na Mara »

I'm so sorry for your loss, especially since Alzheimer's takes the loved one away well before their death. My Mom's going thru that now.

I'm glad to know that Jimmy and his music brings you joy and peace. Same here.

Phins up!!

(((Jim and Grandpa Jim and family)))

Fruitcakes101
On a Salty Piece of Land
Location: Sitting on a blankie on the beach watching a sunrise and staying until it sets.

Post by Fruitcakes101 »

STS I am so sorry to hear of your lose but reading what you wrote gave me a warm feeling to know that Jimmy has helped you come to peace with things. I am very happy to hear that you are able to go to the show this year. I went to 2 and I swear he just keeps getting better. I hope that it turns out to the the best one yet for you.
Have a safe trip and enjoy Margaritaville.

(((((Phin Power to you and your grandmother))))) :wink: