A thought, comment and input welcome

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

A thought, comment and input welcome

Post by 12vmanRick »

The other day a thread came up about the Ultimate Coral Reefer Band or something similar. I chose not to answer because the only person that I do not like in the band ever is Nadirah Shakoor. I just do not like that "Mariah Carey sounding" wailing. I didn't say it before because I felt I was in a very minority but I brought it up with some fellow Parrotheads this past weekend and found that 4 out of the 5 agreed with me.

SO.. I thought. I want opinions on this next thought.

First I am happy that Jimmy finally got the #1 he deserves so do not take the rest of this wrong. It has all the sudden become cool or chic to say you have gone to a Buffett concert. Then when you, the true Parrothead, arrives you find groups of people that don't know Buffett songs and may not be Phans but are only there for the party and bring in cRap music, fighting and other assorted not welcomed problems. The Buffett experience for me is being with phriends, making new ones, drinking a little too much but knowing my limits and finding an island in the middle of a concrete jungle. A great yearly escape in addition to any real beach time I get.

Then in recent years it has been extremely hard to get tickets. Tickets are being GIVEN away by the droves to corporate executives, restaurants and true Phans have a hard time getting them.

I just hope this new level of fame for Jimmy doesn't make it even more difficult to get tickets and have a good time at concerts but I fear it will.
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.

tincupchalice
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

i actually

Post by tincupchalice »

Love hearing Nadirah , i think she provides an interesting balance to the tunes upon which she provides her skills. Just my opinion..

nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

IYYYEEEEEEEEIIII EEEEEYYYYYIIIIII could do without her too. (ie - Original Tryin' to reason... vs MMIM's version. Ick!) I have the same fears you do Rick. Luckily I finally graduated college last year and can afford to pay ridiculous scalper prices for tickets. I guess that just somethin' we're gonna have to deal with. Hopefully the overall mood at the parking lots won't change too much. we can hope!
Last edited by nycparrothead on August 12, 2003 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

12vmanRick
Here We Are

Re: i actually

Post by 12vmanRick »

tincupchalice wrote:Love hearing Nadirah , i think she provides an interesting balance to the tunes upon which she provides her skills. Just my opinion..
Ok.. but I was really wanting others thoughts on the second paragraph too.

bixxx
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: thats what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 80
Favorite Boat Drink: bushwhacker/pain killer

Post by bixxx »

jimmy is forever changing his sound i really miss fingers, many of the songs need to harp. Amy Lee does a great job with sax and doyle with the slide, but the harp is needed maybe it will come back on the next album, which is suppose to be country

NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

Popularity is a double-edged sword. While it gives us a chance to expose others to the entire Parrothead experience it also does make it harder to get tickets. I can't think of many things I enjoy more than bringing virgins to their first show. The look on their faces when they pull into the parking lot is priceless! However it does s*** to have to jump through all the hoops we have to these days to get tickets.
On the other note I think Nadirah has an amazing voice Mariah Carey could only hope to have...And she's a great addition to the Reefers that would be greatly missed if there were to be a change. We are lucky to have someone with such an amazing voice!
I too would love to see a harp player added; certain songs just don't sound the same without the harp player.

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

I think Nadirah is very talented, and I like her in the Reefers...

I HATE that tickets are so hard to get, and that so many are given to Joe Blows that aren't fans, but have the corporate connection.

I am aware of the trendiness of Buffett concerts, specifically in affluent suburban high school districts, where the spoiled children of well-off parents go unsupervised in a large group via limo to the concerts just because it's "cool", and sit in the good seats barely knowing the words to SYKBH. (I was born a poor black child :wink: , and I'm just sooooo jealous, esp since I can't afford to do that as an adult!)

I am thrilled he hit #1, but also worry that all of the exposure will make it that much harder to get tickets, and the shows will be inundated with so many more people there for the party more than the music.

But I love the party, I love the music, and maybe he will touch some of the newcomers the way only his music can, and the planet will have that many more happy campers inhabiting it! And maybe we may cross pathts and become phriends! Everyone of us started somewhere. Focus on the positive!
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

tincupchalice
I need two more boat drinks

2 nd paragraph

Post by tincupchalice »

always tough to get a ticket but its easier in chi town cause of two shows and the network of phriends of mine who go out and cover various outlets on day of sale.

also have found great phriends selling on buffettnews here, have 9th row for thursday show for face. so i dont blame corporate anyone.

PHat Matt
Changing Channels

Post by PHat Matt »

I personally like Nadiriah, but thats just me...

I would like to congradulate Jimmy on #1 as well...
I havent been to a tail-gate party yet, but I would HATE to see non-parrotheads or someone who doesnt really like Jimmy come in without a PH and start playing rap music, or anything like that, and take so much away from what we have come to continously look forward to. I would also hate seeing tickets to one of if not the best time we have every year taken by someone who doesnt know much about Jimmy, or is just going to the concert to be cool, and keep a die-hard parrothead who has followed Jimmy for years, and truley is a PH, from going.

But I guess on the upside, Jimmy is getting a lot more recognition(sp?) now, and is actully getting the fame we've all been wanting for a long long time. Hes also getting a lot more airplay, interviews, album sales, ect. And so I guess now it is time for the PHs to follow up and show the world just how much we like Jimmy and the best music in the world!! 8)

Just my 2 cents though...
and Jimmy theres still so much to be done...
WWW Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

I too really like Nadirah and just would not compare her to Mariah Carey-she is a welcome addition to the show.

As for the crowds, and the fame, etc....I came into Buffett later than many of you (about 10 years ago) but love the concert and all the hoopla. What I have not loved is the increasing difficulty in getting tickets (and I will not give in and go to the brokers) and the crowd problems. And again, I will add that we, in many ways have made our own problem here-how many other performers are there whose concerts you go to repeatedly, traveling hundreds of miles to do so. I love Springsteen, and am seeing him this week, but I'll see him once, while given the opportunity I get tickets for a couple of Buffett shows (and many of you talk about going to 5-10 in a year). That just does not happen with other acts. Nor are there ever "2nd concert added by popular demand-we know how many concerts he is going to play and that won't change-this all drives up demand).

Over the past few years I have seen the crowd problems getting worse. I had a really bad experience at ALpine a few years ago, and each year I hear more and more people who say they will not go back there because of the problems they have had. Let's face it, Buffett concerts have become known as a place where a teen can go and get drunk with almost nobody saying anything about it.

I am not sure how this current hit will affect things, and I am not yet convinced it will make things all that much worse, but that remains to be seen. Much of the country music crowd already knows Jimmy and either follows him or not-I just don't see a big change there.

But yes, the experience continues to change, and that is probably a good and healthy thing though it makes the Buffett experience a little more cumbersome for each of us.

12vmanRick
Here We Are

Post by 12vmanRick »

[quote="ejr"]I too really like Nadirah and just would not compare her to Mariah Carey-she is a welcome addition to the show.[quote]

Just to clear up that compairison. Nadirah has a voice Mariah does not. I was using the compairison about the (don't know what you call it voice) where they do the AAIIIAIHAHHAHIIIII .. um.. like, for instance I do not like the "new set of sails" on the SOASOAS. As an addition and backup singer she is fine.

I do MUCH appreciate your comments as I had hoped that they would and have helped me to view things from a different perspective and "positive" as Tiki said.

jbphan1
I have found me a home

Post by jbphan1 »

We were at the Detroit concert this year that sold out in 1 1/2 minutes. The first 4 people in line got tickets. No one could figure out where all the tickets went in that short amount of time, but the place was truly SOLD OUT! We ended up with great seats and had loads of fun, but it was clear that MANY people were there just because it was the hottest ticket in town and the coolest place to be---they were there for bragging rights. Everyone had a good time and hopefull those people will truly come to enjoy the music and man we all adore, but suddenly being COOL makes it hard for the rest of us who know and love the man and his music.

I do miss Fingers and like Nadyra but could do without her screaming. She gets applause on OPH for just screaming out a high note. Not necessary!

CRC Parrothead
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by CRC Parrothead »

NYCPORT wrote:I too would love to see a harp player added; certain songs just don't sound the same without the harp player.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe later...
Just trying to get by being quiet and shy!!

changingchannels
License to Chill

Post by changingchannels »

First of all i love Nadirah's input to the band.Secondly, the fact that a song Jimmy sang on went to number one doesn't meen anything to me either.I just wish it would have been his own song!What i really don't like is the idea of him following it up by releasing a full fledged country album instead of returning to his carribean flavored one of a kind style. I thought when he released Meet Me in Margaritaville and reworked some classics with a more island sound to them that the next logical step would be returning to the studio with the entire coral reefer band to create a new island album.This "country album" will probably have a lot of cover songs on it and songs written by Mac Macanally on it. I'm sorry but i want input from the entire band! Just listen to Fruitcakes, Barometer Soup and Banana Wind and see what Jimmy and the band can really do when they write together.Those albums are magical, and after the last two albums have been laced with Mac Macanally input (Beach House) and covers(Far Side) I'd like a return to mid 90's form! I'm not saying those albums are bad.But, they are missing the bands ingredients.I like Mac, but i like the collaboration that existed within the band between '89-'96 the best.
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"

Cuervo
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: ACE
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricanes

Post by Cuervo »

12vmanRick wrote: the only person that I do not like in the band ever is Nadirah Shakoor. I just do not like that "Mariah Carey sounding" wailing.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Who ever said you ever had any taste??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I didn't say it before because I felt I was in a very minority but I brought it up with some fellow Parrotheads this past weekend and found that 4 out of the 5 agreed with me.
Now its 4 out of 6....... Let me guess..... Just me and Bill like Nadirah???
Just to clear up that compairison. Nadirah has a voice Mariah does not. I was using the compairison about the (don't know what you call it voice) where they do the AAIIIAIHAHHAHIIIII .. um.. like, for instance I do not like the "new set of sails" on the SOASOAS.
Dude..... her voice is awsome!!!!!!!! she brings a wonderful, soulful Caribbean flare to that song..... Man you're so off base...

But now that I know....... during the next show...... I'll go pee during WDWGDAS and you can go during SOASOAS.... Deal???? ;)

Disclaimer: Just for those of you that don't know.... Rick and I have been phriends for over 10 years and have seen A many show together. I love him like a brother.... but man sometimes :roll: :roll:
He just gets crazy thoughts ;)
Last edited by Cuervo on August 12, 2003 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOTM 2006
When did you get here?
Double shot of rum...
~~ Splash~~ of Coke,
4am, Green Parrot, I lost everyone....
The Curse continues

f2cdlzrd
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by f2cdlzrd »

I love Nadirah; especially on the 'new' SOASOAS and One Particular Harbour.

I congratulate Jimmy on #1, but I hope he doesn't "sell out." True, diehard Parrotheads like us are few and far between at concerts anymore. I have lawn seats for Cincy and am praying I get some good, true Phriends to hang out with. I hate standing next to people who look at me like I'm stupid the way I sing so loud and dance so goofy to Jimmy's songs. It is my out and way of celebrating life.
ATLANTA - April 30, 2013

Cuervo
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: ACE
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricanes

Post by Cuervo »

changingchannels wrote:First of all i love Nadirah's input to the band.
another one for Nadirah... :)
Secondly, the fact that a song Jimmy sang on went to number one doesn't meen anything to me either.I just wish it would have been his own song!
Yeah me too.... :-?
What i really don't like is the idea of him following it up by releasing a full fledged country album instead of returning to his carribean flavored one of a kind style.
I think it will be interesting since his "roots" started in Nashville and ALL of his earlier stuff have a country & western vibe to them. I'm lookin' forward to it..... But this is comin' from a guy that like Don't Stop the Carnival..... ;)
This "country album" will probably have a lot of cover songs on it and songs written by Mac Macanally on it. I'm sorry but i want input from the entire band! Just listen to Fruitcakes, Barometer Soup and Banana Wind and see what Jimmy and the band can really do when they write together.Those albums are magical, and after the last two albums have been laced with Mac Macanally input (Beach House) and covers(Far Side) I'd like a return to mid 90's form! I'm not saying those albums are bad.But, they are missing the bands ingredients.I like Mac, but i like the collaboration that existed within the band between '89-'96 the best.
I think Mac's inputs have been great over the whole time frame of there collaboration. I wonder who wrote Changing Channels????

It's My Job

She's Going Out Of My Mind

When The Coast Is Clear

Changing Channels

The City

Love In The Library,
Delany Talks To Statues

Flesh And Bone
Spending Money
Semi-True Story
Oysters And Pearls

Last Man Standing
What If The Hokey Pokey.........
Tonight I Just Need My Guitar

As Forest Gump said "That's all I have to say about that"
MOTM 2006
When did you get here?
Double shot of rum...
~~ Splash~~ of Coke,
4am, Green Parrot, I lost everyone....
The Curse continues

12vmanRick
Here We Are

Post by 12vmanRick »

Hey Cuervo. I have taste. It just is geared toward tequila.

Yes it was Bill. The others said they could do without it. I just don't like what you refer to as "island flavor". I like the way the songs were pre you.. heeheee

Looking forward to Friday and on.. but maybe after your comments I do want you to bring the Kyak. :lol:

and I LOVE Mac's input !

PHat Matt
Changing Channels

Post by PHat Matt »

Cuervo-I VOTED FOR NADIRAH!! :wink: And I too love Dont Stop The Carnival, a very good island type CD!!! :D
and Jimmy theres still so much to be done...
WWW Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

12vmanRick wrote:Hey Cuervo. I have taste. It just is geared toward tequila.
Are you subliminally saying you want Cuervo? :wink: :P

I know - there have been other threads indicating if you actually have taste, then Cuervo is not the tequila for you! It gets so confusing around here! Ok, I'll be quiet and get back to work now!
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave