Jimmy Buffett Key West tour

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

DeactiveCarib
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Jimmy Buffett Key West tour

Post by DeactiveCarib »

I have heard that there is some special kind of tour in key west that you have to make reservations for, where you basically see all of the buffett landmarks there? Does anyone know what this tour is called or how i can make a reservation. It turns out i'll be in KW for a day in december as a stop on a cruise. I've been to KW before but i'd like to do this tour, it seems real fun and interesting.

Thanks for your help!
Captain Joe
I have found me a home

Post by Captain Joe »

It's called "trails of Margritaville". Book at 305-292-2040. Web - trailsofmargritaville.com. It's a blast, enjoy...
The Seas in my veins
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

I think you're looking for Trails of Margaritaville:

http://www.trailsofmargaritaville.net/trails_info.htm

Have fun!
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
ches4me
Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 38
Favorite Boat Drink: Strawberry Daquiri

Post by ches4me »

the trails tour is ran by the man who runs the company that provides the entertainment in the arena, before the shows. He is a friend of Jb"s and Jimmy has ok'd the tour.

Our guide was named Dusty, but they are all really awesome. well worth the time and cost.
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

last time I was there I was in a store on Duval looking in a Key West tour book and came across a parrothead section with addresses of a lot of places related to Jimmy (his home, bars, Shrimpboat Sound, etc).
Being the cheap b@stard that I am, right there in the store I wrote them down and did my own tour.
I can't remember the name of the book.
I did not know of the Trails of Margaritaville Tour. Sounds PHun!!
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Sidew13
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything to put me in a Tropical frame of mind
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Rum and oh YES RUM

Post by Sidew13 »

went on it during MOTm. Well worth the price.
:D :D :D :D
Trying to Take Another Road

Image Image
jbphan1
I have found me a home

Post by jbphan1 »

Went on a private tour with Tim last Christmas. The larger groups are in the morning, when the cruise ships are in, but my dad and I could do it only in the afternoon---so we were the only ones on our tour. It wasn't very much cost wise--around $20.00 I think, but well worth the $. Learned a few inside Buffett facts. Tim kept talking about JL, like I knew who he is/was. I know from the records he's some kind of assistant. Yes? Who can fill me in more?
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

I guess this is J. L. Jamison...one of Jimmy's techs. This photo has him as a drum tech. It is from Ralph Macdonald's website.

http://www.ralphmacdonald.com/GAL_tour04.htm

I see he also produced some of the Nace Bros cds. Club 15...

Sound engineer

http://www.kvet.com/iplaylist/artist/90149/credits.html

Photos by J. L. here

http://margaritaville.com/adventures/gitmo.htm

Also found this about Shrimp Boat Sound

http://home.comcast.net/~zimzip/media/2003/oneal.html

Another chap with a nice gig is Buffett's stage manager J.L. who has worked for Buffett since 1985. Starting off as a sound and lighting tech, Jamison is now stage manager, drum technician and studio manager at Shrimp Boat Sound. "Visiting musicians are blown away by our place down here," Jamison said. "I mean we're right on the water." He explained that many studios in larger cities are in industrial areas and have little if any artistic value. "It's kind of a get-away studio," he continued, "and we love to experience the different styles of music each performer brings."
Last edited by conched on November 16, 2004 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
aparrotheadindenver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by aparrotheadindenver »

...or possibly Josh Leo

Josh has played guitar on several albums, including Floridays!

Just a thought, I don't know for sure! :-?

Count All Your Blessings and Remember Your Dreams!
Gypsy In The Palace
I Love the Now!

Post by Gypsy In The Palace »

SGH's and Captain Joe's minds must be connected! That's scary! :D
livingstonbob
Gypsies in the palace

Post by livingstonbob »

If you can, go on the tour with your club or at least a whole group of parrot heads. It makes it a lot of fun. It was a great tour. I went on it with my Vegas club a couple of weeks ago. Well worth the price.

Bob
Originally from Livingston Sat. Night Montana
DeactiveCarib
I Love the Now!

Post by DeactiveCarib »

sounds great!

is it reliable to get you back to your ship on time, since we'll be in KW on a cruise?
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Trails of Margaritaville was a great tour, neat places, history, etc. There is one caveat; however, the guide can make a difference.

We had Frank who honestly seemed to think the tour was more about Frank vs. Jimmy. He spent half the tour promoting his magic show at the Schooner Wharf, and a bunch of time "showing off" :roll: to those we passed along the way. Photo ops and stories were rushed (he truly lacked an appreciation for the art of storytelling -- which is a shame considering that's so much of what Jimmy's about). And he really didn't know much about Jimmy beyond his rehearsed stories (e.g. clearly hadn't read any of Jimmy's books.) Not even Frank could make the experience a bad one though; it just could have been better. (Go, but request a different guide.)

It ran pretty close to on time so you shouldn't have a problem making the boat (especially if the cruise line offers it as an option).
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
ches4me
Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 38
Favorite Boat Drink: Strawberry Daquiri

guide

Post by ches4me »

As I said earlier. we had Dusty. He was Absolutely wonderful. and is a big fan himself and has been for years, and a member of the southernmost PHC. I can guarantee. He will give you a great tour.

He does give a really good tour though so the tour does tend to run a little longer than the allotted time. make sure he knows you are on a ship.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Sidew13 wrote:went on it during MOTm. Well worth the price.
:D :D :D :D
Yep. was a lot of fun. Dusty is a great guide, and should still be sporting his "Buffett for President" ballcap.
livingstonbob
Gypsies in the palace

Post by livingstonbob »

Dusty was really great. Too bad the Chart room wasn't open, other than that it was a perfect tour.

Bob
Originally from Livingston Sat. Night Montana
Capt Granite
I have found me a home

Post by Capt Granite »

Quiet and Shy wrote:Trails of Margaritaville was a great tour, neat places, history, etc. There is one caveat; however, the guide can make a difference.

We had Frank who honestly seemed to think the tour was more about Frank vs. Jimmy. He spent half the tour promoting his magic show at the Schooner Wharf, and a bunch of time "showing off" :roll: to those we passed along the way. Photo ops and stories were rushed (he truly lacked an appreciation for the art of storytelling -- which is a shame considering that's so much of what Jimmy's about). And he really didn't know much about Jimmy beyond his rehearsed stories (e.g. clearly hadn't read any of Jimmy's books.) Not even Frank could make the experience a bad one though; it just could have been better. (Go, but request a different guide.)
It ran pretty close to on time so you shouldn't have a problem making the boat (especially if the cruise line offers it as an option).
Very interesting point of veiw. Would have to wonder how you would do this tour day in and day out. I for one know Frank very well and have never seen this version of the tour. :-?
As the days grow more complicated the night life still wins
BLakePH
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by BLakePH »

Quiet and Shy wrote:Trails of Margaritaville was a great tour, neat places, history, etc. There is one caveat; however, the guide can make a difference.

I guess you are entitled to your own opinion. :roll: :roll:
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Very interesting point of veiw. Would have to wonder how you would do this tour day in and day out. I for one know Frank very well and have never seen this version of the tour.
Sorry to be negative, but I wanted to share our experience; we weren't the only disappointed ones in the group that day. Maybe it was just a bad day for Frank, but the tour could have been done better. Like I said though, it's still a great tour.

I really enjoy a guide who is truly energized by their work -- what they're talking about as well as the people with whom they interact. I had some great experiences recently in places like New Orleans and on the Far Side of the World; it can be done. With all the positive energy and enthusiasm around Jimmy and his work, I'd expected that from the ToM guide in KW, as well.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far