Radio Margaritaville on Siruis or XM- VOTE!

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Which satellite radio service should Radio Margaritaville be on ?

XM
34%
Sirius
36%
which-ever carried Radio Margaritaville
22%
neither...
8%

Total votes: 90

CaptDave
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 0

Radio Margaritaville on Siruis or XM- VOTE!

Post by CaptDave »

I have heard rumors about RM going to satellite radio, and since I want to get one soon, I researched all the threads for info... the problem was that the threads had rumors for both XM and Sirius...

RM told me that there was no 'official deal' in the works with anyone... So my question is -

What would most people vote for them to be on ?

What do most people have ?

Is there really a big difference between the two ?

If we let RM know what most people here have or would get, maybe that would make a difference...
CaptDave
Chief Margarita Officer

"it was too much tequila, or not quite enough"

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I voted for XM but that's because I'm a subscriber. As for the differences, I think I've read that Sirius has more sports channels. As a music listener that's not really a draw for me but didn't really play into my decision to go with XM, I just more favorable things about it overall. So far I've been very, very happy with it.

sholleran
I need two more boat drinks

Post by sholleran »

The difference is clear.

Sirius seems to have every annoying but popular mouth around, tons of sports (cool if your team is long distance, otherwise so what they are on FM) and costs an extra $3/month - $36/year - not much, you say?

But the BLEEPING phone company, cell phone company, cable company, Tivo, broadband, water, gas, electric, garbage - heck, you name it, EVERY monthly bill - goes up by some bogus $3 service charge per month each year. So why start off with the more expensive service provider?

Besides, commercial free or not, RM will need to MAJORLY up the audio quality and hire some genuine 'talent' once they play in the big leagues.

Looking forward to meeting you, and all my parrothead friends

dean_siu
Under My Lone Palm

Post by dean_siu »

I voted for neither as I'm afraid that we'd lose the free internet feed if there was a subscription service available for it.

CaptDave
Southeast of disorder

Post by CaptDave »

yeah.. my concern is more about the Live Concerts.... what would happen to those ?
CaptDave
Chief Margarita Officer

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!

Post by The Lost Manatee »

I voted for neither for several reasons. First, I don't want to pay for radio and second I don't want to lose the RM internet feed that I can listen to all day long at work. And given that I'm in the basement satellite radio doesn't seem to work very well.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

Key Lime Lee
Living My Life Like A Song

Post by Key Lime Lee »

sholleran wrote:Besides, commercial free or not, RM will need to MAJORLY up the audio quality and hire some genuine 'talent' once they play in the big leagues.
RM is capable of the highest audio quality, but when you're encoding something to be streamed across the net at a variety of connection speeds (including dial up) you have to keep the file sizes small.

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

XM has way more subscribers because of the deals with all the major auto manufacturers. Siruis has only about 600,000 subscribers and needs to add 1 million more to pay for howard stern....

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson

nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

Should I mention again that XM has OPIE & ANTHONY? 8) 8) 8)

CaptDave
Southeast of disorder

Post by CaptDave »

I dont think we would lose the internet radio station, there are plenty of talk radio shows that are syndicated across the country and are on satellite to get them into smaller markets that couldnt/wouldnt carry them...
CaptDave
Chief Margarita Officer

dean_siu
Under My Lone Palm

Post by dean_siu »

CaptDave wrote:I dont think we would lose the internet radio station, there are plenty of talk radio shows that are syndicated across the country and are on satellite to get them into smaller markets that couldnt/wouldnt carry them...
But an internet station is available across the country for no charge at all....I really think that either XM or Sirius would require RM to stop the internet broadcast before they picked it up to maximize the new subscribers it would generate.

CaptDave
Southeast of disorder

Post by CaptDave »

dean_siu wrote:
CaptDave wrote:I dont think we would lose the internet radio station, there are plenty of talk radio shows that are syndicated across the country and are on satellite to get them into smaller markets that couldnt/wouldnt carry them...
But an internet station is available across the country for no charge at all....I really think that either XM or Sirius would require RM to stop the internet broadcast before they picked it up to maximize the new subscribers it would generate.
but, I think the reality is that people would listen in the car... or on home stereos.. I dont think that many people listen to RM except on their computers - and the sound quality on the 'net isnt the greatest to keep the stream thin... a satellite broadcast would have a good sound quality....
CaptDave
Chief Margarita Officer

DeactiveCarib
I Love the Now!

Post by DeactiveCarib »

i had XM in a rental car and i really liked it, i should have bought it in my new car :cry: Oh well, i'll have to wait until i'm done paying off this car in 6 years to buy a new one with XM

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

Sirius (I wont get into why I like 'em better than XM)

There is however free trial feeds online for both Sirius and XM... go sign up for 3 days (or 30 if you have 10 email accounts like I do) and judge for yourself... this is what I did --- I was goin XM till I did a side by side comparison online 8)

www.xmradio.com

www.siriusradio.com
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Every Stripper Deserves A DJ
There's gotta be a girl drunk enough in this town
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
I Make Her What?? :o
2am, Jack Flats, I Lost Cuervo!!
The Curse..

nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

HsvParrothead wrote:Sirius (I wont get into why I like 'em better than XM)

There is however free trial feeds online for both Sirius and XM... go sign up for 3 days (or 30 if you have 10 email accounts like I do) and judge for yourself... this is what I did --- I was goin XM till I did a side by side comparison online 8)

www.xmradio.com

www.siriusradio.com
Create an 11th email account and listen to Opie & Anthony on XM ya dufus.. Seems to me, they'd be right up your alley.. Then come back here and tell me what you think...

Brown Eyes
I have found me a home

Post by Brown Eyes »

Well... I think it's easy to guess which one I voted for. ;)

Last I heard, discussions with Radio Margaritaville had ended, they were looking for much more money than I think either company was looking to spend. Jimmy does have several XM acounts though. I wonder which channels he listens to?

J.

P.S. By the way, employees are given Opie & Anthony and I just don't get them.
Last edited by Brown Eyes on December 14, 2004 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To hell with it, marry me.

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

unfortunately... you cant listen to them online... without a "subscription"... all these websites will allow for trial are the actual "music" channels :-?
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
The Curse..

nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

HsvParrothead wrote:unfortunately... you cant listen to them online... without a "subscription"... all these websites will allow for trial are the actual "music" channels :-?
Oh... Sorry dude didnt' realize that.. I guess I get 'em online cause I'm already a subscriber.... :-?

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

nycparrothead wrote:Create an 11th email account and listen to Opie & Anthony on XM ya dufus.. Seems to me, they'd be right up your alley.. Then come back here and tell me what you think...
I think your child actors turned balding directors fetish is becoming unhealthy...

oh, you meant about the radio show... my bad dude :oops:
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
The Curse..

nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

Brown Eyes wrote:P.S. By the way, employees are given Opie & Anthony and I just don't get them.
You're not alone.. It's kinda like Parrotheadism.. You either get it or you don't.. There's not much in between.. :)

PS - Can ya get me a deal on a MyFi? :P :P
Last edited by nycparrothead on December 14, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.