Radio Margaritaville on Siruis or XM- VOTE!

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Which satellite radio service should Radio Margaritaville be on ?

XM
34%
Sirius
36%
which-ever carried Radio Margaritaville
22%
neither...
8%

Total votes: 90

Ilph
Inactive User
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Ilph »

mrmiata wrote:
SeaNile wrote:I hear you about the only 900K subscribers now but the math is simple...think it is only 12% of stern's listeners have to follow him and that will pay for his move. The numbers were all over cnbc and cnn when Howard made the announcement. My x-mas gift to myself was Sirius, as well as a few other things.

--JK
Do you *really* think 12% of his listeners are going to be willing to pay $12.95 a month, or more, to listen to Howard when there are enough copycats out there? Americans are cheap. Sirius might get the numbers for about 6 months. Maybe, but longterm customers will be few and far between.

Not only are Americans cheap, but their attention spans are on par with the life of a mayfly. :lol: I don't see Howard being a long-term draw. It looks more like a big ol' boondoggle to me.
Americans might be cheap, but Stern's fans are some of the most loyal in the business. I truly do expect Sirius to see a large boost in enrollment over the next year

CaptDave
Southeast of disorder

Post by CaptDave »

Then the question is -

who has more loyal fans ? Jimmy or Howard ??

and, which of those groups would be more apt spend the $ to listen ?
CaptDave
Chief Margarita Officer

"it was too much tequila, or not quite enough"

SeaNile
Southeast of disorder

Post by SeaNile »

Good points to consider. Howard recently granted an interview to USA Today and said by no means is he the sole reason to go satellite but rather the programming on satellite is far superior to 'ol FM. 120 stations, NFL, 20 talk shows, etc. I never really thought about all that satellite has to offer. I do know this even though I have never listened to satellite (but next saturday I will) is that every person I know with satellite radio swears it's the best thing ever. Kind of like one of those things that you wondered how you did without it.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Talk about a mega contract though, 5 years 500 million.

--John

mrmiata
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Laphroaig, 18 year, neat

Post by mrmiata »

Ilph wrote:I truly do expect Sirius to see a large boost in enrollment over the next year
I didn't say differently. There will be a large boost. Whether it has staying power is the other question.

Satellite radio is the only way to go, afaiac. When it comes down to it, if I only had one option, that being Sirius, I would pay $3 more a month for shallower playlists just because I can't imagine *not* having sat radio. As it is, I'm very happy with XM. One shock radio DJ isn't enough to make me switch, and I don't believe he would be enough for me to start with satellite radio if I wasn't a subscriber. That being said, I did my research ahead of time as to which service suited me best, and XM was it.

Those who haven't experienced sat radio don't know what they're missing. Those who have miss it when they don't have it. I thrive on it here at work and in my car. $9.95 a month is just a drop in the bucket when compared to the pleasure and use I get out of it.

mrmiata
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Laphroaig, 18 year, neat

Post by mrmiata »

SeaNile wrote:Guess we'll have to wait and see. Talk about a mega contract though, 5 years 500 million.
That right there would worry me most. That's a whole lot of change to put into one person and a whole lot of speculation on Sirius' part. It would worry me that it could lead to a leveraged buyout/hostile takeover by someone such as Clear Channel. If their debt is too high, that debt can be bought and someone could come in, raise prices, add commercials, homogenize stations and ruin the good that has been done.

brahmafear
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by brahmafear »

If I had the resources I would start a local radio station right along the lines of RM. There's some other artists that I'd include. Still in the last 10 years RM has the best playlist. If RM does go satellite that would be the reason I subscribe and I know a few others that'd do the same. I feel confident that the RM brodcasts of the concerts won't change. Jimmy's proud of his phlock and I believe he doesn't want to shake it up too much. Besides that it's time for me to upgrade my 12 year old casstte/radio to a CD satellite ready unit. :D :D :D :D
Image Image Image

CaptDave
Southeast of disorder

Post by CaptDave »

thanks for all the input!
CaptDave
Chief Margarita Officer

"it was too much tequila, or not quite enough"

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Hopefully Sirius

Post by blackjack »

I would hope RM goes to Sirius for two main reasons:

1) I like Howard Stern and have for 15 years

2) They also carry all NFL games, which if you've moved from your hometown, is great for catching the old team.

Also, I bought a bunch of stock at $5.25 a share and it needs to go up! :roll:

PARROT HEAD MIKE
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Impossible to pick just 1 Wonder Why We Ever Go Home or Beloxi
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything at Louie's
Location: Somewhere between the sun and the moon, (Boston/Key West)

Post by PARROT HEAD MIKE »

I voted XM because it is in my new truckImage and was free for 3 months. Here is a trick if you don't want to pay $15 a month. I let my 3 month trial expire by a mistake and waited about a month before I renewed. I was planning on renewing when I had a time to call them they keep you on the phone for ever but they called me first and offered me a great deal to come back, no activation and $5 a month I paid $60 for the whole year. I would love to be able to listen to RM all the time on XM, I hardly listen to XM now.
ImageImage

jimminy
I need two more boat drinks

Post by jimminy »

They should put it on one of those digital music channels on your cable service. That would be money.
"I should be telling you that I have been meeting more than my fair share of groupies. Or should I say blue-pies?" - Tobias Funke, analrapist

7lords
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by 7lords »

PARROT HEAD MIKE wrote:I voted XM because it is in my new truckImage and was free for 3 months. Here is a trick if you don't want to pay $15 a month. I let my 3 month trial expire by a mistake and waited about a month before I renewed. I was planning on renewing when I had a time to call them they keep you on the phone for ever but they called me first and offered me a great deal to come back, no activation and $5 a month I paid $60 for the whole year. I would love to be able to listen to RM all the time on XM, I hardly listen to XM now.
You can do this right before your trial expires too - you don't have to let it expire. Just call and tell them you got a postcard with the offer on it (if they ask for the code, tell them the card is at home) and they should give you the $60 deal. Don't know if this will work after April 2 though - XM is raising their rates to $12.95 a month (that price will include O&A plus XM Radio Online). You can lock into a rate of $9.99 a month or less if you sign up for a year or longer plan though.
Is it day?

a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Re: Hopefully Sirius

Post by a1aara »

blackjack wrote:I would hope RM goes to Sirius for two main reasons:

2) They also carry all NFL games, which if you've moved from your hometown, is great for catching the old team.

Sirius also purchased the rights to NASCAR as well.

jimminy

Post by jimminy »

a1aara wrote:

Well then, sign me up!! :-?
"I should be telling you that I have been meeting more than my fair share of groupies. Or should I say blue-pies?" - Tobias Funke, analrapist

PHKev
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Sirius

Post by PHKev »

Sirius is the way to go for RM. No question. I vote for Sirius.

Better management and future prospects.

Price is also not an issue, XM is going up to match Sirius.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

a1aara wrote:

Howard Stern and NASCAR, 2 reasons not to waste my money on Sirius.

a1aara
Hoot!

Post by a1aara »

I've heard that Sirius has a great "Outlaw Country" show.

a1aara
Hoot!

Post by a1aara »

Sirius Strikes Installation Deal With Mitsubishi Motors

The automaker inked an exclusive deal with Sirius to offer the satellite radio service as a factory-installed option in some of its models staring with the 2006 Mitsubishi Raider truck debuting this fall. Mitsubishi plans to expand Sirius availability to three more models for the 2007 model year. All Sirius-equipped 2006 and 2007 model-year Mitsubishis will include a six-month, pre-paid subscription to the service with free activation.

jimminy

Post by jimminy »

LIPH wrote:
a1aara wrote:

Howard Stern and NASCAR, 2 reasons not to waste my money on Sirius.
Honestly, can't think of a worse way to spend a long car ride than listening to auto racing over the radio. Yeesh.

BahamaBreeze
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Shots of good tequila

Post by BahamaBreeze »

Since XM raised their monthly charge to what Sirius now charges, I guess I would go with Sirius since they carry NFL games.

lookingat40

Post by lookingat40 »

Sirius would be great...Jimmy already does some voice work on their Vacation channel. They play Jim Morris and many others. I'd love to just take my receiver out and listen to RM on a sunny day....Then again my 400 disc cd play on Buffett random does the same thing...lol :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: