Ticket scalpers on Ebay

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Re: Scalping...Be honest

Post by buffettbride »

pbans wrote:
LIPH wrote:
land_shark3 wrote:I graduated with an Economics degree. The one thing I learned is to maximize profit and minimize opportunity cost. If I have good seats, you can bet they'll be on eBay. I know this may strike a nerve with people on here, but I got to make money when I can.
I have an MBA in Finance but one thing I never learned was how to screw people for my own benefit. As for making money, that's why I have a job.
very nicely said......we bought four tickets on ebay for Vegas last year...only needed three...sold the last one for half face to a BN'r....I'd rather lose a little money than gain a little bad karma.....
Heck...last October in Vegas...hubby and I had so-so seats. We randomly met this couple while we were eating before the show and they had 11th row seats they were trying to sell. We told them we couldn't buy them but if they couldn't sell them, they told us we could have them. They called our cell phone just before the concert and said they couldn't sell them.

We got 11th row seats for free and met some really awesome people.

That has nothing to scalping tickets...but it does show how nice PHs can be.

land_shark3
Here We Are
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by land_shark3 »

Business is business; if I have a chance to make money I'm going to take it. I don't go out and buy hundreds (or even tens) of tickets. I usually get about four and plan on selling two. If I get a good enough offer, the other two go as well.

Everyone out there has the same opportunity to purchase the tickets, so I'm not taking anything away from someone else. Every one on this board obviously has a computer and I'm sure most people have a phone. If they can work either of those, then they have the same shot at tickets as I do.
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

CTParrothead763
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by CTParrothead763 »

land_shark3 wrote:Business is business; if I have a chance to make money I'm going to take it. I don't go out and buy hundreds (or even tens) of tickets. I usually get about four and plan on selling two. If I get a good enough offer, the other two go as well.

Everyone out there has the same opportunity to purchase the tickets, so I'm not taking anything away from someone else. Every one on this board obviously has a computer and I'm sure most people have a phone. If they can work either of those, then they have the same shot at tickets as I do.

Sorry, but your logic is really twisted. If you hadn't bought four tickets to begin with, another true fan might have been able to buy the other two for face. It's just plain greed on your part. I feel sorry for you if this really represents your take on life.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Business is business for ticketmaster, cc.com, ticketsnow.com and any other company that's in the buisness of selling tickets. For an individual, it's scalping and it sucks.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

land_shark3 wrote:Business is business; if I have a chance to make money I'm going to take it. I don't go out and buy hundreds (or even tens) of tickets. I usually get about four and plan on selling two. If I get a good enough offer, the other two go as well.

Business.... really....... Do you have a business license? Do you pay taxes on your profit?

LIPH is right. What you're doing isn't business; it's scalping, and it sucks.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Revenge

Post by blackjack »

OK, here's my story. A few years back, I got comp seats for a Saturday show, months in advance. Then I got an invite to a cousin's wedding and ended up buying tickets for the Thursday show instead. The night of the event (Thursday) a scalper tried to sell me tickets and I asked him if he was buying for Saturday. After much haggling, I got him to pay what would have been face value for my "freebies". Boy was he p*** when he saw they were free tix.

Was that wrong? :pirate:

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Re: Revenge

blackjack wrote:OK, here's my story. A few years back, I got comp seats for a Saturday show, months in advance. Then I got an invite to a cousin's wedding and ended up buying tickets for the Thursday show instead. The night of the event (Thursday) a scalper tried to sell me tickets and I asked him if he was buying for Saturday. After much haggling, I got him to pay what would have been face value for my "freebies". Boy was he p*** when he saw they were free tix.

Was that wrong? :pirate:
He no doubt turned around and sold them for much more than face. You could have given them away to another fan. But why didn't you at least sell them to another fan for face? :-?

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Sorry

Post by blackjack »

I couldn't get out of work and I got to the show 15 minutes before show time and not being a "seasoned" seller wasn't sure what to do. I was not very phan phriendly back then and was the only JB fan I knew. I realize now it wasn't the best thing to do and would do it differently.

In fact, I have two to the Philly show on Saturday and plan on surprising a true fan in the parking lot. But, like a previous poster, I will ask some sort of trivia question.

Any trivia question suggestions? I want to give it to a fan, but I don't want it to be too difficult, after all we were all fledgling fans at one time.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Re: Sorry

blackjack wrote:In fact, I have two to the Philly show on Saturday and plan on surprising a true fan in the parking lot. But, like a previous poster, I will ask some sort of trivia question.

Any trivia question suggestions? I want to give it to a fan, but I don't want it to be too difficult, after all we were all fledgling fans at one time.
I like the previous poster's question. Any good JB fan can name at least a couple of albums besides SYKBH.

Either that or have him/her sing a JB song other than SYKBH; see if he/she knows the words. :D

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

thekidsalami
I have found me a home

Post by thekidsalami »

thekidsalami wrote:Just curious who's gonna be honest on this hypothetical question.

If you had two extra tickets that nobody in your group was using and you could sell them for twice face value on ebay thereby allowing you to essentially go fo free, would you?

In other words, you make $200 on the sale of two extra tix. The pair of tix that you bought for $100 each are now basically free.

So....do you do it?
Boy, I guess a stuck a nerve, huh? I don't really have a problem with scalpers, maybe because I have good luck with tickets and usually don't have to resort to buying on ebay. There are a lot of people I know who can't be bothered to find out when tickets go on sale or are too lazy to stand in line and do any of the work. These are also the first people to ask me if I can get them tickets or if I have any extras.

I have sympathy for those who legitimately try to get tickets, get shut out and have to resort to scalpers. But, if you know what you're doing and don't mind sitting in front of your computer or standing in a line freezing your butt off, you'll usually do ok.

I guess I just see scalping as a necessary evil. If people are willing to pay the money, it'll never go away.
Tryin' to tell myself that my condition is improvin' and if I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin' Friday night.

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:What you're doing isn't business; it's scalping, and it sucks.
But its legal in Georgia and many other states. If someone wants to change it, then there are two ways to do it. Make people show an ID upon entry (like the Masters) or have all tickets General Admission.

Ticket sales are first come, first serve. I play by all the rules that everyone else deals with. Who ever gets there first has all right to do with the tickets what they please.
Fine Print on back of TM ticket wrote:Certain maximum resale premiums and restrictions may apply such as: PA..., MA..., CT..., NY..., NJ....
Those are the only states listed. Sounds like its fair game in other states.

To answer your other questions; yes, I do have a county business license and government tax ID number. I do not pay tax when I resell tickets because it is not my primary business. According to my tax attorney, if I wanted, it could be written off as a personal "hobby-loss" when you factor in time spent and fees involved.

If I can listen to all the complaining about brokers and still have the balls to admit that I resell tickets, there's not much that going to change my mind on the issue.

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

thekidsalami wrote:If people are willing to pay the money, it'll never go away.
Exactly

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Re: Sorry

Post by blackjack »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
blackjack wrote:In fact, I have two to the Philly show on Saturday and plan on surprising a true fan in the parking lot. But, like a previous poster, I will ask some sort of trivia question.

I like the previous poster's question. Any good JB fan can name at least a couple of albums besides SYKBH.

Either that or have him/her sing a JB song other than SYKBH; see if he/she knows the words. :D
I kinda like that too. By the way, love your screen name, School Boy Heart on Banana Wind is in my Top Ten.

CTParrothead763
I have found me a home

land_shark3 wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:What you're doing isn't business; it's scalping, and it sucks.
But its legal in Georgia and many other states. If someone wants to change it, then there are two ways to do it. Make people show an ID upon entry (like the Masters) or have all tickets General Admission.

Ticket sales are first come, first serve. I play by all the rules that everyone else deals with. Who ever gets there first has all right to do with the tickets what they please.
Fine Print on back of TM ticket wrote:Certain maximum resale premiums and restrictions may apply such as: PA..., MA..., CT..., NY..., NJ....
Those are the only states listed. Sounds like its fair game in other states.

To answer your other questions; yes, I do have a county business license and government tax ID number. I do not pay tax when I resell tickets because it is not my primary business. According to my tax attorney, if I wanted, it could be written off as a personal "hobby-loss" when you factor in time spent and fees involved.

If I can listen to all the complaining about brokers and still have the balls to admit that I resell tickets, there's not much that going to change my mind on the issue.

Your right, nothing would probably change your mind; and that's sad.

I'm an economics major with a background in finance. I do remember the lectures on supply and demand. But I must have been sleeping the day they taught that it's okay to f*** your fellow human beings whenever you get the chance.

Do you sit at the concert and count the money in your pocket?

ColdWaterConch
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by ColdWaterConch »

Wow...I just don't get the hatred going on here.

Reality is supply and demand....reality is that Buffett sells out his concerts in 15-90 minutes. Reality is that if you can't get a ticket through TM or CC or whatever, you need to get one from another source. Since Buffett tickets are in high demand, that means the price will be higher then face.

It is nice to see all these PH's with MBA's and JDs and economic degrees slamming landshark....curious if this translates well in your day job ("well, boss, we could sell this for a profit...but wouldn't we be screwing the consumer?").

Scalping sucks, but this is America...land of Capitalism...and it is hard to fault someone for choosing not to sell an asset they hold for something other than a profit.

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

ColdWaterConch wrote:Wow...I just don't get the hatred going on here.

Reality is supply and demand....reality is that Buffett sells out his concerts in 15-90 minutes. Reality is that if you can't get a ticket through TM or CC or whatever, you need to get one from another source. Since Buffett tickets are in high demand, that means the price will be higher then face.

It is nice to see all these PH's with MBA's and JDs and economic degrees slamming landshark....curious if this translates well in your day job ("well, boss, we could sell this for a profit...but wouldn't we be screwing the consumer?").

Scalping sucks, but this is America...land of Capitalism...and it is hard to fault someone for choosing not to sell an asset they hold for something other than a profit.
It's certainly not about hatred.....at least not for me.
I liken ticket scalping to price gouging.....
Right before the hurricane season plywood is at a premium....it would be unethical for Home Depot to go in and double the price just because they know people will pay it........

I'm the only one that has to live with my ethics and my decisions regarding how I conduct myself.....same said for Landshark or anyone else....if I don't like the price someone is asking for a ticket...I don't pay it, pretty simple.
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

CTParrothead763
I have found me a home

pbans wrote:
ColdWaterConch wrote:Wow...I just don't get the hatred going on here.

It's certainly not about hatred.....at least not for me.
I liken ticket scalping to price gouging.....
Right before the hurricane season plywood is at a premium....it would be unethical for Home Depot to go in and double the price just because they know people will pay it........

I'm the only one that has to live with my ethics and my decisions regarding how I conduct myself.....same said for Landshark or anyone else....if I don't like the price someone is asking for a ticket...I don't pay it, pretty simple.

I totally agree, and apologize if my posts have come across at hatred. They actually reflect pity.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

ColdWaterConch wrote:Reality is supply and demand....reality is that Buffett sells out his concerts in 15-90 minutes. Reality is that if you can't get a ticket through TM or CC or whatever, you need to get one from another source. Since Buffett tickets are in high demand, that means the price will be higher then face.
I don't NEED to get tickets to a Buffett concert, I WANT to get them. If I can't get them through the normal channels, if none of my friends have extras or if I can't get them for face value from the ticket exchange, I won't go.
ColdWaterConch wrote:It is nice to see all these PH's with MBA's and JDs and economic degrees slamming landshark....curious if this translates well in your day job ("well, boss, we could sell this for a profit...but wouldn't we be screwing the consumer?").
This isn't a very good analogy since landshark stated in one of his posts that selling tickets isn't his primary business. In fact, he said his tax attorney told him he might be able to write it off as a "hobby loss" so by his own admission it's not a business at all.

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

CTParrothead763 wrote:Do you sit at the concert and count the money in your pocket?
No, actually you can ask the folks that I tailgated with in Dallas last year. I ended up spending extra cash on booze and party supplies for the BN tailgate.

The money I saved by not having to fly anywhere for the NYE party went to paying for food and booze.

I'll all for a good party, but I know that I have to find a way to pay for it. So far Buffett tailgating is one of the most expensive drugs I've found. It can cost hundreds of dollars, it is in limited supply, and it only lasts for a day. Just like any addict, I do what I have to in order to afford my drug.

ColdWaterConch
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by ColdWaterConch »

LIPH...thank you for clarifying the point that this is not akin to price gouging...which occurs when you overcharge for a needed item, not a wanted item.

Also, as you state, JB tickets are a want, not a need...perhaps this is one of the reasons why I believe that selling a ticket for more than face is not ethically abhorent.

Finally, I disagree with your contention that my analogy is errant....the price of concert tickets is (a) set by the laws of supply and demand and (b) set by the marketplace....just like any other business. He may be reselling as a "hobby," but he is still doing so in a "business" capacity (much like amateur day-traders).