My JB encounter in Pittsburgh

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: GROG!!!!!
Location: Not the end of the earth, but on a clear day you can see it

Post by Dutch Harbor PH »

Damn Bill/four Play!!!!! What an awesome story!!!!!!

And kudos to all the PH's who responded to your most excellent story and turned what was starting to look like a downer into something totally cool!

SW may have tried to Hijack the tread But you all realized that the REAL story was about FP and an amazing encounter!!!!

.....I am a little confused though (nothing new there!!!!)....... I infered that it was the wrong number...? Did you ever call that number back to see who it was ....and try to get a recording of the message?????

Heck the Balcony Girls wouldn't just want you as a date......they'd probably even pay for the date....!!!!! :D :D :D

Way To Go!!!!!
Attitude: The difference between ordeal and adventure
Scars are Tattoos with really good stories
No matter where ya go....There you are.
Come Back, Come Back.....to the South Bering Sea Islands....

Mr Play
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Mr Play »

Just to clarify, neither Jimmy nor the body guards were rude. Jimmy was leaving and Charleston was just doing his job. The team works incredibly well together and it was amazing to see them in action as Jimmy was getting ready to leave.
It was a pleasure and a hell of an evening
Truly was our night to win
But the authorities insist on my leaving
Take care my American friend

Sidew13
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything to put me in a Tropical frame of mind
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Rum and oh YES RUM

Post by Sidew13 »

Four Play wrote:Just to clarify, neither Jimmy nor the body guards were rude. Jimmy was leaving and Charleston was just doing his job. The team works incredibly well together and it was amazing to see them in action as Jimmy was getting ready to leave.
Charleston is VERY cool. AND VERY BIG :lol: . If he ask you to move, you better move. At the CiP in Ashville, he was having to get the people back for when JB showed up. A few people looked at him as if to ask "who are you", and gave him a hard time. He was POed. When he approached the Cathy, J, Kristi, and myself we said no problem. And as we walked off to the side with him we talked and joked. That's when he became a big ol teddybear :lol: . We also ran into him befor that in KW during MOTM. On Thursday(when JB showed up), a group of us met Charleston and Mac walking down Duval St. Once again Charleston started to relax when all we did was ask Mac how he was doing and then let him go on his way.
What a great guy. :D
Trying to Take Another Road

Image Image

parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday

Post by parrothead216 »

Sidew13 wrote:
Four Play wrote:Just to clarify, neither Jimmy nor the body guards were rude. Jimmy was leaving and Charleston was just doing his job. The team works incredibly well together and it was amazing to see them in action as Jimmy was getting ready to leave.
Charleston is VERY cool. AND VERY BIG :lol: . If he ask you to move, you better move. At the CiP in Ashville, he was having to get the people back for when JB showed up. A few people looked at him as if to ask "who are you", and gave him a hard time. He was POed. When he approached the Cathy, J, Kristi, and myself we said no problem. And as we walked off to the side with him we talked and joked. That's when he became a big ol teddybear :lol: . We also ran into him befor that in KW during MOTM. On Thursday(when JB showed up), a group of us met Charleston and Mac walking down Duval St. Once again Charleston started to relax when all we did was ask Mac how he was doing and then let him go on his way.
What a great guy. :D
:o That hasn't been my experience with Charleston!!!! When attending a concert here at Blossom Music Center, I got to my front row seat and had a 6'2" security guard standing six inches in front of my seat!! :o :o FACE TO FACE!!! :o :( When I ask him to move so I could see the stage he directed me to Charleston and when I told him what the problem was .....HE told me that was where the guard was staying and if I didn't like it I could go to the box office and get a refund and go home!!! :o :o :o Finally someone with some common sense came over and put a shorter guard there and he stood between the seats instead of in front of mine and everything was fine! :D :D :D Except for the fact that I think the new guard got his feet step on when we were dancing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BUFFETTING: The act of leaving reality and going off to see Jimmy Buffett!

Mr. Webster, we have a NEW definition!

MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by MikeInNOLA »

SchoonerWharf wrote:Hmmm so just for the record let me get this straight....after asking others to respect his privacy.....

You actually tried to talk to him and shoved a cell phone in his face to talk to people u didn't have the right number for...

then accosted other members of the band for a picture....

oh well....i guess if for some bizarre reason I had the desire to try and make good with the "Balcony Girls" this would make a lot of sense....
This reminds me of when we were accused by a couple of folks on here of "stalking" Jimmy when we met him in Santa Barbara.

The truth of the matter is Jimmy could have kept on walking (Charleston can keep most folks in their seat).

Perhaps...if the poster ever has a chance at a "Jimmy moment", our old friend karma will be there to intercept :wink:
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

MikeInNOLA wrote:Perhaps...if the poster ever has a chance at a "Jimmy moment", our old friend karma will be there to intercept :wink:
What goes around, comes around. :wink:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Republics & Migration
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Hula Girl

Re: My JB encounter in Pittsburgh

Post by DonnaKayDunbar »

Four Play wrote:Here is my story from Saturday night. If you were there, please respect Jimmy's privacy by not disclosing the location.

I had made dinner reservations for Saturday night. As soon as we walked in I saw the bodyguards in a booth near the bar. We were seated at a table next to Michael Utley, Mac Macanally and Roger Guth. We ordered drinks and realized that Jimmy was in a booth 4 or 5 tables down from us. We stayed at our table throughout the evening and didn't bother a soul. Ralph Macdonald also walked by several times.

After a while, Charleston walked back toward Jimmy's table and gave a hand signal to the other body guards that they were leaving. On the way out, Jimmy stopped at Mac and Utley's table and had a word with them. Realizing I didn't have but a second as Jimmy walked by, I dialed the Balcony Girls number and motioned to Jimmy with the phone. Charleston tapped me on the shoulder in warning but I looked at Jimmy and said "No, it's the Balcony Girls". He stopped in his tracks, smiled and said "Oh it's the Balcony Girls!" I handed him the phone as it was still ringing. I told him to leave a voicemail so he did. I'm paraphrasing but basically he said "Hey Balcony Girls this is Jimmy, I'll see you tomorrow night". (Edit - Jimmy patted me on the shoulder and smiled as he handed back the phone.)

To top off the evening, as we were leaving I politely asked Mac and Utley if I could have a picture with them. They were extremely nice and I enjoyed talking to them briefly.

What a way to start a concert weekend - thank you LesPaul30, and thank you Balcony Girls!

Hmmm... wonder where he could have gotten that number...

If Les hadn't called DKD and Q... there wouldn't be a story involving the balcony girls.

:lol:

Mr Play
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Mr Play »

DonnaKayDunbar wrote:If Les hadn't called DKD and Q... there wouldn't be a story involving the balcony girls. :lol:
The "story" was already over at that point. I just needed the right number for BG so I could tell her about it. Thanks for getting it though, I think it made her night. :wink:

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

Four Play wrote:The "story" was already over at that point. I just needed the right number for BG so I could tell her about it. Thanks for getting it though, I think it made her night. :wink:
Doubtful... you know, they have that "connection". :wink:
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

Mr Play
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Mr Play »

Reading back, I can see how the phone number issue is confusing. Let me try to clarify...

Last week BG sent me a PM with her cell phone number. I scrolled down to the number as Jimmy was approaching and hit Send. He left the message and gave me back the phone. I called the number after we left and it went straight to voicemail.

Back at Margarita Mama's we ran into Big Phan. Thinking something was strange, I asked her for the number to confirm. She had the same number in her phone that I did. I called lesphoto to get the correct number. He called DKD and called me back. As it turned out, a couple of the numbers were transposed.

I did leave a follow-up message on the wrong # with an explanation, but I haven't heard anything back.

balcony girls

Post by balcony girls »

Four Play wrote:Reading back, I can see how the phone number issue is confusing. Let me try to clarify...

Last week BG sent me a PM with her cell phone number. I scrolled down to the number as Jimmy was approaching and hit Send. He left the message and gave me back the phone. I called the number after we left and it went straight to voicemail.

Back at Margarita Mama's we ran into Big Phan. Thinking something was strange, I asked her for the number to confirm. She had the same number in her phone that I did. I called lesphoto to get the correct number. He called DKD and called me back. As it turned out, a couple of the numbers were transposed.

I did leave a follow-up message on the wrong # with an explanation, but I haven't heard anything back.
that was some crazy night , huh. . ? ? ! !

and first, I am completely responsible for the " transposing " error . . it's my own damn fault that I did not receive the call . . . :o

thanks to all you others that helped in this . . .

it just totally bums me out that I missed that call " we all are dreaming we'll get " . . .

btw . .I also called the " other " number . . .from the sound of the guy that identified the voice mail . . .well, let's just say . . I think he's still in prison . .

as someone told me. . ." I wonder what Jimmy thinks of your " roommate . .? ? ! ! "

:o

wow . . what a great story Four Play . . ! ! we'll be sharing this one for many years, huh . .

thanks again for thinking of me . . how bout we make some more memories soon . .! !

:D
. . " and I finally disappear . . . . BUT NOT YET ! ! "

Mr Play
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Mr Play »

Judging from a couple of PM's, it seems I gave a poor impression of the setting. It wasn't tense at all. We were there for over an hour before Jimmy left. Band members were up and walking around the restaurant at their leisure. The bodyguards were there, but they were relaxed and even joked with the table next to them.

When Jimmy was leaving they had a job to do. They take their job seriously and they do it very well.

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Four Play, I'm just glad Jimmy has the benefit of running into fans like you; encounters like yours probably make him glad he's still doing his job.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

I'm just suprised that Bill didn't set Jimmy on fire and try to jump over him... :roll:

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

Four Play wrote:Judging from a couple of PM's, it seems I gave a poor impression of the setting.
I hope somebody isnt giving you crap over the alleged "invasion of Privacy" :-?
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Every Stripper Deserves A DJ
There's gotta be a girl drunk enough in this town
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
I Make Her What?? :o
2am, Jack Flats, I Lost Cuervo!!
The Curse..

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

nycparrothead wrote:I'm just suprised that Bill didn't set Jimmy on fire and try to jump over him... :roll:
That's next time... :wink:
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Every Stripper Deserves A DJ
There's gotta be a girl drunk enough in this town
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
I Make Her What?? :o
2am, Jack Flats, I Lost Cuervo!!
The Curse..

Mr Play
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Mr Play »

HsvParrothead wrote:I hope somebody isnt giving you crap over the alleged "invasion of Privacy" :-?
Nah, nothing like like that - just some questions that made me think about how I described the setting.

jackiesic
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Salt
Location: "Surf's Up! Surf City, New Jersey! Let's Go!" Jimmy Buffett 6-14-08 Philly Con

Post by jackiesic »

Four Play wrote:Here is my story from Saturday night. If you were there, please respect Jimmy's privacy by not disclosing the location.

Realizing I didn't have but a second as Jimmy walked by, I dialed the Balcony Girls number and motioned to Jimmy with the phone. Charleston tapped me on the shoulder in warning but I looked at Jimmy and said "No, it's the Balcony Girls". He stopped in his tracks, smiled and said "Oh it's the Balcony Girls!" I handed him the phone as it was still ringing. I told him to leave a voicemail so he did. I'm paraphrasing but basically he said "Hey Balcony Girls this is Jimmy, I'll see you tomorrow night". Jimmy patted me on the shoulder and smiled as he handed back the phone. Unfortunately I later discovered that I had the wrong number programmed, so she didn't get the message.

To top off the evening, as we were leaving I politely asked Mac and Utley if I could have a picture with them. They were extremely nice and I enjoyed talking to them briefly.
Cool story! Hummmm, I wonder where JB likes to go in Philly?????
Jackie
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

aquaholic
Under My Lone Palm

Post by aquaholic »

BURP............................my wednesday input :pirate:
MIAMI NATIVE

jimolliemom
I Love the Now!

Post by jimolliemom »

Talk about right place, right time!!!

Wishin I had been there 2!
Good job and LUCKY GUY!!!
"Mommy, when is Jimmy Buffett coming to OUR house? We go see him ALL THE TIME??" (Actual quote from my 5 y/o keet)