Song Stories

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

MrTwain wrote:
I kind of wonder if Mac hasn't always written a better Buffett song than Buffett.
I would definitely say no. Face it. Buffett's forte' is writing songs. Like many other great songwriters (Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Jerry Jeff Walker and others), Buffett's vocal ability is about average with other campfire guitar pickers (like myself). But his ability to write a song, then sing it how he wants his audience to hear it is genius. Mac will never have Buffett's wit, snap or his ability to work a crowd. That's what sets him apart, I think.
But, at least judging from the majority of Buffett's latter day material, he's lost that ability. These days Buffett has become more of an entertainer (than an musician) and more of an interpreter of other's material rather than a creator of his own. There's nothing really the matter with that other than I feel his peak songwriting period is well behind him at this point. Oh, and the fact that he's more of an entertainer these days too.

bumper
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by bumper »

MrTwain wrote:
I kind of wonder if Mac hasn't always written a better Buffett song than Buffett.
I would definitely say no. Face it. Buffett's forte' is writing songs. Like many other great songwriters (Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Jerry Jeff Walker and others), Buffett's vocal ability is about average with other campfire guitar pickers (like myself). But his ability to write a song, then sing it how he wants his audience to hear it is genius. Mac will never have Buffett's wit, snap or his ability to work a crowd. That's what sets him apart, I think.
I would boldy disagree....Bubba captured many of us in the 70's with the big Caribbean carrot he continues to use today...a lifestyle he lived then but not now....so for old time sake he got us where we live.....Today and in the recent past....however....Mac has ripped off some good ones...some Jimmy sings some not, Mac can sing. Have any doubt about Mac's writing or musical talent...listen to him riff "Little Martha" by the Allman Bros....

Many of us realized a long time ago...Jimmy can't sing :D :D
Last edited by bumper on April 4, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------
Image There is no place like Cabo in the winter

Coconuts
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with rum

Post by Coconuts »

Jahfin wrote:But, at least judging from the majority of Buffett's latter day material, he's lost that ability. These days Buffett has become more of an entertainer (than an musician) and more of an interpreter of other's material rather than a creator of his own. There's nothing really the matter with that other than I feel his peak songwriting period is well behind him at this point. Oh, and the fact that he's more of an entertainer these days too.
That's kind of what I meant (not so much what I said, but details...). I wonder how many of the older Jimmy-Mac songs were Mac songs that Jimmy helped enough to put his name on, rather than something he really helped create.
My ship she has a rudder, but I don’t know where to steer

1 CP
If we weren't all crazy ...

Re: Song Stories

Post by 1 CP »

buffettbride wrote:And Mac is cute and hairy. 8)
Well.....Mr Buffett is cute......

:wink: :wink:
"Be good and you will be lonesome, be lonesome and you will be free"

9/14 MSG=first Buffett concert!!

Parrot Monkey
I Love the Now!

Post by Parrot Monkey »

I still have to say that I could go for a 100% Buffett/McAnnaly album. Think of the songs they wrote together, When the Coast is Clear, Love in the Library, Coast of Carolina etc.

case
Hoot!

Post by case »

Jahfin wrote:
MrTwain wrote:
But, at least judging from the majority of Buffett's latter day material, he's lost that ability. These days Buffett has become more of an entertainer (than an musician) and more of an interpreter of other's material rather than a creator of his own. There's nothing really the matter with that other than I feel his peak songwriting period is well behind him at this point. Oh, and the fact that he's more of an entertainer these days too.
he's still got it, its just a question of whether or not he's using it as well as he should... " A salty piece of land" (the song) " Coastal Confessions" "Far side of the world" "tonight i just need my guitar" "beach house on the moon" "oysters and pearls" the majority of barometer soup, the guys still got it
I hope that all the greedy bastards in the world
Come back as lobsters.
You know that life at the bottom of the food chain
Suits them well.
I think that all of the evil people of the world
Come back as horseflies,
They want one last bite before they're sent to hell.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Re: Song Stories

Post by RinglingRingling »

1 CP wrote:
buffettbride wrote:And Mac is cute and hairy. 8)
Well.....Mr Buffett is cute......

:wink: :wink:
he does nothing for me in that dept. :D

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

case wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
MrTwain wrote:
he's still got it, its just a question of whether or not he's using it as well as he should... " A salty piece of land" (the song) " Coastal Confessions" "Far side of the world" "tonight i just need my guitar" "beach house on the moon" "oysters and pearls" the majority of barometer soup, the guys still got it
Not bad examples but I can also think of several more that aren't. Still, most of those songs don't live up to what I consider his peak period, which would have been his 70s output. There is also the noted absence of a lot of material not penned by Buffett on some of his more recent albums. I really don't have a problem with that since he does such a good job "Buffetizing" other people's songs but it's not something that's gone unnoticed.