Recording Concerts On Sirius

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Recording Concerts On Sirius

Post by puckhead »

I just downloaded Total Recorder Professional and have a few questions about recording the concert on Sirius...

1. What format should I record in (PCM or MP3) and at what attribute?
2. If I record in PCM is it easy to convert to MP3?
3. Do I have to have the volume all the way up on my computer for the sound to be recorded (is this a dumb question)?
4. How can I split the songs into seperate tracks after I am done recording?
5. Any helpfull hints I should I know?

Thanks in advance...
Jason Mason
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing The Cage and Fins
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes.

Re: Recording Concerts On Sirius

Post by Jason Mason »

puckhead wrote:I just downloaded Total Recorder Professional and have a few questions about recording the concert on Sirius...

3. Do I have to have the volume all the way up on my computer for the sound to be recorded (is this a dumb question)?

Thanks in advance...
Yo puckhead, MP3 takes up less space, you will need the lame.dll encoder though (just google it), I record at 192kbps. PCM can be converted with a program like Goldwave. Your volume should be somewhat loud (Windows volume, your speakers can be off), once more, when you are ready to cut the tracks, use something like Goldwave or MP3DirectCut (I use the latter).. As for a helpful hint, when you burn your concert to CD, use a "disc at once" mode, so you don't end up with gaps in between songs...

Phinz Up!
I still love old magazines and Snickers bars....
Burny Charles
Spaminator
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Burny Charles »

You can find a lot of tips and tricks in the Concert Trading section. Good Luck!
DeltOU
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by DeltOU »

The real question (which I posted in the trading section days ago) is who is recoring it from the sirius receiver itself, rather than the 32k internet stream?

Recording directly through the receiver/radio will provide the highest quality recording.
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

I was going to attempt to record a feed from my car receiver, to my wife's laptop, but I won't have it ready for the concert tonight...
Image Image
MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake

Post by MikeInNOLA »

Just remember, if you are recording via sirius.com you will have to be there to click the "are you listening" button!
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage
puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Post by puckhead »

MikeInNOLA wrote:Just remember, if you are recording via sirius.com you will have to be there to click the "are you listening" button!
??? What is that? I listen to Sirius all day at work on-line and never see that? How long do you have to be inactive to get a message?
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

puckhead wrote:
MikeInNOLA wrote:Just remember, if you are recording via sirius.com you will have to be there to click the "are you listening" button!
??? What is that? I listen to Sirius all day at work on-line and never see that? How long do you have to be inactive to get a message?
I think it's an hour and a half, but if you have a pop-up blocker, it may not show up, and you won't time out. I listen to it at work all day as well, the pop-up window gets through my blocker maybe once or twice a week...
Image Image
MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake

Post by MikeInNOLA »

puckhead wrote:
I listen all day at work via sirius.com using IE and get the pop up about once per hour. I am not sure if it happens on other browsers? Of course, RadioMargaritaville doesn't have the pop up and there is no discernable difference in quality that I can tell.
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

I just downloaded Total Recorder Professional and have a few questions about recording the concert on Sirius...

Well, I suggest you record the audio in PCM so you can make a CD Audio disc. Plus you can convert to MP3 before you erase the PCM master from drive. I say CD Audio because you will have a copy for the next portable fad format thrown in consumer faces. The price of CDR and RW are cheap. You can archive any recording you want that had a bad feed until the replay in PCM format on a DVD-RW.
So workflow:
Save to PCM, burn a CD Audio (set 1 disc 1, set 2 disc 2)convert to desired compressable format. Erase PCM file when you check quality of CD and MP3.

Yes. You can use Total Recorder to do that too. After you save in PCM format re open it and re save in desired Codec.

Use the soundcard input volume controls. I urge you to open Total recorder in advance of the concert, hit record while having Radio Marg play thru the soundcard from Sirius. Use the meters on the front of TR to check your levels. I keep mine at -4 to allow headroom for future mastering. My line in on the soundcard is up. just make sure you stay blew constant red.

You can do this in Total Recorder, however you can not be precise. Use what was suggested above so you can see the waveform and make proper cuts. I use CD wave or Adobe Audition.

Read all of the posts and always come back for help. Plus Total Recorder help is good. Thanks in advance..
puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Post by puckhead »

Thanks for all your help... I hope this works tonight!
eickhorst_reid
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by eickhorst_reid »

I'm pretty sure BN user Pablo Escobar will be recording tonight's show via the Sirius Radio feed, not the online stream!
nvrmnd17
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 45
Favorite Boat Drink: Sailor Jerry's & Coke

Post by nvrmnd17 »

I will be recording from my Sirius receiver tonight as I have every show (except one by accident) so far.

My XACT receiver is plugged into a special USB audio input I bought for my Mac. It's supposed to help isolate audio from the any hum from the computer. I record to AIF with Audio Hijack. I chop it up using Peak and burn to CD with Toast. Then I rip MP4s for iTunes and my iPods.

I can't wait!!!
Check out TikiPod Radio!
Get Away to the Island Side of Life with The TikiPod's unique blend of island and Trop Rock music.
http://www.tikipod.net
jimsig
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by jimsig »

If you plan on trading bootlegs do not use MP3. Due to it being a lossy format, bootleg traders prefer PCM.
Jim
nvrmnd17
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 45
Favorite Boat Drink: Sailor Jerry's & Coke

Post by nvrmnd17 »

MP4s are for my use only. I trade AIF, WAV, or FLAC, unless people request MP3s which some do.
Check out TikiPod Radio!
Get Away to the Island Side of Life with The TikiPod's unique blend of island and Trop Rock music.
http://www.tikipod.net
puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Post by puckhead »

moog wrote:I just downloaded Total Recorder Professional and have a few questions about recording the concert on Sirius...

Well, I suggest you record the audio in PCM so you can make a CD Audio disc. Plus you can convert to MP3 before you erase the PCM master from drive. I say CD Audio because you will have a copy for the next portable fad format thrown in consumer faces. The price of CDR and RW are cheap. You can archive any recording you want that had a bad feed until the replay in PCM format on a DVD-RW.
So workflow:
Save to PCM, burn a CD Audio (set 1 disc 1, set 2 disc 2)convert to desired compressable format. Erase PCM file when you check quality of CD and MP3.

Yes. You can use Total Recorder to do that too. After you save in PCM format re open it and re save in desired Codec.

Use the soundcard input volume controls. I urge you to open Total recorder in advance of the concert, hit record while having Radio Marg play thru the soundcard from Sirius. Use the meters on the front of TR to check your levels. I keep mine at -4 to allow headroom for future mastering. My line in on the soundcard is up. just make sure you stay blew constant red.

You can do this in Total Recorder, however you can not be precise. Use what was suggested above so you can see the waveform and make proper cuts. I use CD wave or Adobe Audition.

Read all of the posts and always come back for help. Plus Total Recorder help is good. Thanks in advance..
So this may be a dumb question... I can burn the PCM file to an audio CD? I thought it had to be in MP3 format? How do I burn PCM to audio CD and do I need an special software / CDs to complete this?

Thanks agian.
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

Sometimes software comes with the CD/DVD burner.

Some programs Nero, EZ CD Creator... I use Record Now that came bundled. I have problems with Nero. MP3 can be burned as CD Audio on some programs that auto convert. However once compressed, can't go back to what was thrown out during the compression. So, it wouldn't be wise to use MP3 to CD Audio then later again to MP3. However, the higher the bitrate and using 2 pass you can get decent sound archived.

MP3 can be saved as data, so you can use a program to save to disc as data. Like any other file.

PCM is pulse code modulation. Here is one site that helps somewhat explain
http://www.cdrfaq.org/