Irvine on a Thursday Night

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

bumper
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 0

Irvine on a Thursday Night

Post by bumper »

It was one of those perfomances that will be etched my memory forever. No matter what happens from here, no matter where Jimmy performs or if he does again, tonights performance, from a long time Buffett follower, was the best I have ever seen. He was on, the set list was on, the coral reefers were on, the planets in all my years of attending Buffett shows, aligned. iI was simply the best concert hands down I have ever witnessed.

But even then, we were left with an uneasy feeling as he progressed through the set list. There was something definable, tangible in the air as he sang, at least we felt it. I began scanning the crowd as he sang Southern Cross thinking to myself quietly how lucky I am to have seen Bubba so many times where as some in the crowd might be attending for the first time. They may never have the chance to follow a performer like Bubba, ever. When he began to sing He Went to Pairs I happen to glance toward my wife. With tears filling her eyes she said.....I think he is done, he really may not be back next year.

All that being speculation clearly, only brings one issue to mind and relevant to BN.
All you pholks who think Bubba has sold out, out priced your wallet, over commercialized himself, are holding a grudge because he let go of T.C., Amy and Heather and those issues have kept you from seeing him perform this year, you may miss his greatest performance ever. Tonights show was simply the best. Now all of a sudden, it makes no difference why you did not go fact is you didn't or won't, you'll never know what you missed, but at least you will have your reasoning to keep you company when Bubba does call it a day, I on the other hand have seen the magic.
Last edited by bumper on April 21, 2006 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------
Image There is no place like Cabo in the winter
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

IRVINE ON A tHURDSAY NIGHT

Post by flipflopgirl »

Thanks for posting this!!!!! I was starting to think I was crazy for buying tickets to 3 shows this year(Atlanta,Jones beach and Camden) and for spending the money to fly to Atlanta and stay 2 nights to see a concert, but reading what you said about the Irvine concert I am glad I am going to 3 shows this year!!!!! I hope at least one of the shows I go to is as good as Irvine!!!!! :) :) :)
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
habourgirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Habour
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Re: IRVINE ON A tHURDSAY NIGHT

Post by habourgirl »

flipflopgirl wrote:Thanks for posting this!!!!! I was starting to think I was crazy for buying tickets to 3 shows this year(Atlanta,Jones beach and Camden) and for spending the money to fly to Atlanta and stay 2 nights to see a concert, but reading what you said about the Irvine concert I am glad I am going to 3 shows this year!!!!! I hope at least one of the shows I go to is as good as Irvine!!!!! :) :) :)
Oh honey, that's not so crazy!!!! But I figure, I need to see him while he's still touring.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

I have not been to a show in over three years. Just have not been happy with a bunch of JB related things (same set lists, partyheads instead of parrotheads at concerts, the fact there is no pre-sale system ...). Maybe now it is time to stop my boycot, put my feeling aside and go see a concert. Thank you for your post.
"Some people never find it..."
NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 106
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

I got a chance to listen to the first set on Sirius. From what I could hear it sounded like the crowd was in a coma and all I kept thinking to myself is when are they going to start putting an effort into this??? It seemed like the was no energy from Jimmy or the crowd. Like I said, I wasn't there and was listening on the radio...Just my 2 cents.

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8
allucaneatbuffett
I have found me a home

Irvine

Post by allucaneatbuffett »

Thanks for that original post. I took a look at the set list, and man I wish I was there. What a great set list!!! I know what one of the reply's said about things not sounding to good online and the crowd sounding out of it. I listened to a replay of a show I was at last year, and it sounded like there was nobody there and Jimmy sounded terrible. Yet, at the show everyone was screaming and jimmy was awesome. I think the online performance drowns out alot. doesn't sound good to me at all.

I sure hope the set list for the Nissan Show in August is similar to last nights show in Irvine. I can't wait.
bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

NYCPORT wrote:I got a chance to listen to the first set on Sirius. From what I could hear it sounded like the crowd was in a coma and all I kept thinking to myself is when are they going to start putting an effort into this??? It seemed like the was no energy from Jimmy or the crowd. Like I said, I wasn't there and was listening on the radio...Just my 2 cents.
Were were lucky enough to be in the Orchestra section allowing us a view of Jimmy and the crowd behind us. Perhaps it is just us, being there......was electric !!!!!
nvrmnd17
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 45
Favorite Boat Drink: Sailor Jerry's & Coke

Post by nvrmnd17 »

NYCPORT wrote:I got a chance to listen to the first set on Sirius. From what I could hear it sounded like the crowd was in a coma and all I kept thinking to myself is when are they going to start putting an effort into this??? It seemed like the was no energy from Jimmy or the crowd. Like I said, I wasn't there and was listening on the radio...Just my 2 cents.
Strange. I listened to most of last nite's show and I thought the exact opposite. I thought last nite's show was electric .I've listened to, watched, or attended well over 300 shows over the past 15 years and this one will be on my list of great ones.
Check out TikiPod Radio!
Get Away to the Island Side of Life with The TikiPod's unique blend of island and Trop Rock music.
http://www.tikipod.net
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Bumper: I phelt it too, and I was just listening at home. I was with the group at the lake on Tuesday, so I didn't really get a feel for the set list/atmosphere.

I'm one lucky parrotchick to have followed Jimmy since almost the beginning when it was just him and the guitar. If he wants to stop, I won't complain. It was a lovely 30 decades.

Thanks for sharing. Your comments have made me remember to watch the crowd and enjoy the moment next Friday!
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

Now all of a sudden, it makes no difference why you did not go fact is you didn't or won't, you'll never know what you missed, but at least you will have your reasoning to keep you company when Bubba does call it a day, I on the other hand have seen the magic.
The reason I am not going (as far as I can foresee) is that there are no tickets available anywhere for date I could possibly attend.

I listened on RM last night and I have to agree: it was a wonderful show!
As it was late, I fell asleep during the second half, but I fell asleep happy, with Jimmy!
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Any musical guests at last night's show?
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
redparrot26
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by redparrot26 »

My two cents:

I was at home, alone, listening through my laptop but hooked to the stereo. I, again, had not purchased any Coke, so the Captain stayed on the shelf. (just so you know the setting and the mood)

When Jimmy got to A Pirate Looks at Forty.....that's when I started to think, "Man, this is just great." Sometimes I forget how blessed I am that Jimmy is in my life, as much as he is (which is just through my iPod, mainly).

Then he started He Went to Paris, and I almost cried myself. It was such a great close to a great night.

You're right, the stars were aligned......and I was way off axis, here in Colorado.

Well done Jimmy, well done.
Last edited by redparrot26 on April 21, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.
ImageImage
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

Nice post.

You've got to wonder though. With the name of the tour (I know we discussed this when that was first announced), with the set list changes, and the featuring an older album each show, with the t-shirt showing someone walking into the sunset (see the tour shirt thread) and with Jimmy turning 60 later this year, it would not be at all surprising if this was it.

Just hope all the signs are wrong!!!
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

bumper,
Thanks for putting your feelings into words... it reinforces my suspicions that amongst the squeeky wheels, there are those of us who are still appreciating the personal and emotional value of the entertainment Jimmy delivers. :D
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

LIPH wrote:Any musical guests at last night's show?

Jake,,I think he is on board for 6 concerts? not sure though,,

the brother can rip
allucaneatbuffett
I have found me a home

irvine show

Post by allucaneatbuffett »

Does anyone know when this Irvine Show will be replayed, I would like to listen to it.
spendingmoney
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Repulics
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything New Glarus

Post by spendingmoney »

Bumper, great post. I've been huge Jimmy fan for only about three years now. I've been to only one concert at Tinley in Chicago and it was THE greatest time of my life. As he did Banana Republics for his final encore I had chills for the whole song. I just wish that I lived in a better location as it takes almost a 6 hour drive to get to the closest venue, which is Alpine. And since I'm fresh outta college and am getting married, I have no money to fly anyplace to watch a concert :( . But, if this is Jimmy's last tour I will just be happy knowing that I got to see such a great entertainer and have experienced such a great tour, even if it is on my laptop with my bottle of rum :wink: .
balcony girls

Post by balcony girls »

. .I keep hoping Jimmy will jump in here and holler . .

. ." . . HEY ! ! . . I ain't dead, YET. . " . .! !

. . :lol: . .
. . " and I finally disappear . . . . BUT NOT YET ! ! "
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

nvrmnd17 wrote:
Strange. I listened to most of last nite's show and I thought the exact opposite. I thought last nite's show was electric .I've listened to, watched, or attended well over 300 shows over the past 15 years and this one will be on my list of great ones.
I agree. You could tell by the tone and inflection in his voice, that Jimmy was having a blast on stage. I was glued to my sirius receiver all night...
Image Image
nvparrothead
I have found me a home

Post by nvparrothead »

Nice post Bumper you summed it up well. I listened from home and agree. It was a great set list and Jimmy's voice was on and the band sounded great. They are doing a great job of mixing it up. I don't feel like I'm listening to the same old concert. I also love the heavy use of strings so far this year. Looking foward to the next one. :P
-------------------------------------
Tonight I just need my guitar.
-------------------------------------