"Hoot Success"?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Jahfin
Inactive User

Re: "Hoot Success"?

Post by Jahfin »

quarterdude wrote:I liked the movie but, I think it will be out on DVD very soon. :(
It's gone straight to VHS.

PirateJohn
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by PirateJohn »

Jahfin wrote:
quarterdude wrote:I liked the movie but, I think it will be out on DVD very soon. :(
Seriously or did I fall for a joke?

I have noticed that it's being advertised quite a bit locally over the weekend. Go figure.

The movie bizness is awfully funny, with things that are a bust at the box office later finding their niche and getting excellent overseas sales, television, etc. I cannot see this one selling well outside the USA but I can see it being sold as part of a package for the smaller networks and that means that we will see it over and over and over and over again.
Support Riding Into History, the legendary vintage motorcycle show and fund raiser for breast cancer charities -- www.RidingIntoHistory.com

Caribbean Soul
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

ColdWaterConch wrote:
ToplessRideFL wrote:
ccmatt wrote:I thought it was a great kids movie. More importantly, so did my kids.
So nice to hear...

I am so tired of adults bashing the movie.... its a simple kids movie.... and yes, the book was better but so what?

I still think they should have marketed it as an Afternoon Special. It would be perfect!
It is not a simple kids movie. It is Hiassen using a kids book/movie to make a political point...and I'm not saying that is right or wrong, I'm just calling it what it is.

Ice Age is a simple kids movie. Over the Hedge is a simple kids movie. Hoot is not.
BTW, Hoot has grossed $7.3M, and was pulled from 2,200 theatres. Even with a $16M budget, the movie is a bust.
Actually based on the reviews I read for "Over The Hedge" it seems that the same "anti-developement" theme is involved ... and I am guessing that Hiaasen's take on it is better. :wink: That being said, I am waiting for the Hoot DVD to come out to see it, as my daughter and I both enjoyed the book, and I'm certain we can buy the DVD for less than the price of two movie tickets. :-?
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99

OystersandBeer
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast is Clear (Gulf Coast Version)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by OystersandBeer »

PirateJohn wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
Seriously or did I fall for a joke?
Seriously.

ColdWaterConch
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by ColdWaterConch »

Hoot v. Over the Hedge:

Over the Hedge:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/over_the_hedge/

"High on culture, low on pop, but easily has a bubbling feature-length fizz. Within snappy action sequences and manic comedy, there's a slight screed against the every-square-inch mentality."

-- Nick Rogers, STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER (SPRINGFIELD, IL)

A charming, clever and crisply paced little confection about small, junk-food-addled mammals that's sure to delight large mammals of any age."

-- Ted Fry, SEATTLE TIMES

"Visually energetic and light on its feet, it's frothy entertainment that has some ideas in its head and a sense of playfulness that turns those ideas into a speedily pleasant 90 minutes."

-- Chris Vognar, DALLAS MORNING NEWS

"Hums along with such well-greased precision, you can almost hear the industrial cogs and wheels whirring in all their viscous complexity. There's such a knowing swagger about the film's comedy, there seems to be no innocence in the mix at all."

-- Desson Thomson, WASHINGTON POST

"A irresistible balance of computer-graphics animation and high wit, one that raises the three-dimensional computerized technique to a delirious new plateau."

-- Jan Stuart, NEWSDAY

"A raucous, funny and fresh look at the 3 C's: conservation, consumerism and consumption (of the excessive and conspicuous kind)."

-- Claudia Puig, USA TODAY

"Over the Hedge will grow on you. It's a hoot."

-- Larry Ratliff, SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS

---------------------------------------------------------

Hoot:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10005746-hoot/

"Lame and preachy."

-- Steve Rhodes, INTERNET REVIEWS

"Endangered as they are, burrowing owls will be disappointed to learn that their cause has been hitched to a movie with little entertainment value, let alone credible strategies to save their environment."

-- Susan Walker, TORONTO STAR

"The movie pretends to take a kids' point of view, but it treats kids like idiots."

-- Kyle Smith, NEW YORK POST

"It would be a nice little family film if not for the fact that the young heroes commit felonies in the name of saving the environment."

-- Richard Roeper, EBERT & ROEPER

"But while Hoot's pro-environment message to kids is certainly worthy, the unquestioning, pro-vigilante angle doesn't sit entirely well."

Seattle Times Tom Keogh

2/4 "Its makers will tell you that Hoot is an educational film, but aside from showing that some owls live underground rather than in trees, little knowledge is actually imparted."
Detroit Free Press John Monaghan

2/5 "The reason that this film is evil is that it goes into the mind of a terrorist and then says: "Cool!!!!""
Greenwich Village Gazette Eric Lurio

C- "what environmentalist would put an alligator in a chemically treated port-o-potty?"
Reeling Reviews Laura Clifford

C- "Dumbs down a story that, for what it's worth, was no Holes to begin with… aggravates the book's narrative and moral problems while watering down its charms."

Decent Films Guide Steven D. Greydanus

C- "Hoot is safe enough to take your kids to, but you might want to have a talk with them afterward about continuing to go to school and shying away from major felonies."
Detroit News Tom Long
"Key West trades in on the name 'Hemingway." You can't take a leak without seeing Hemingway this and Hemingway that. And the irony is, if Hemingway were alive today he'd take a blowtorch to Duvall Street." Hiaasen

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

ColdWaterConch wrote:Hoot v. Over the Hedge:
One line from the NY Daily News about "Hoot" (you have to pay to get the whole review): Family movie about Florida teenagers acting like little ecoterrorists to save endangered owls.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

ColdWaterConch wrote:Hoot v. Over the Hedge:

Over the Hedge:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/over_the_hedge/

"High on culture, low on pop, but easily has a bubbling feature-length fizz. Within snappy action sequences and manic comedy, there's a slight screed against the every-square-inch mentality."

-- Nick Rogers, STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER (SPRINGFIELD, IL)

A charming, clever and crisply paced little confection about small, junk-food-addled mammals that's sure to delight large mammals of any age."

-- Ted Fry, SEATTLE TIMES

"Visually energetic and light on its feet, it's frothy entertainment that has some ideas in its head and a sense of playfulness that turns those ideas into a speedily pleasant 90 minutes."

-- Chris Vognar, DALLAS MORNING NEWS

"Hums along with such well-greased precision, you can almost hear the industrial cogs and wheels whirring in all their viscous complexity. There's such a knowing swagger about the film's comedy, there seems to be no innocence in the mix at all."

-- Desson Thomson, WASHINGTON POST

"A irresistible balance of computer-graphics animation and high wit, one that raises the three-dimensional computerized technique to a delirious new plateau."

-- Jan Stuart, NEWSDAY

"A raucous, funny and fresh look at the 3 C's: conservation, consumerism and consumption (of the excessive and conspicuous kind)."

-- Claudia Puig, USA TODAY

"Over the Hedge will grow on you. It's a hoot."

-- Larry Ratliff, SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS

Hoot:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10005746-hoot/

"Lame and preachy."

-- Steve Rhodes, INTERNET REVIEWS

"Endangered as they are, burrowing owls will be disappointed to learn that their cause has been hitched to a movie with little entertainment value, let alone credible strategies to save their environment."

-- Susan Walker, TORONTO STAR

"The movie pretends to take a kids' point of view, but it treats kids like idiots."

-- Kyle Smith, NEW YORK POST

"It would be a nice little family film if not for the fact that the young heroes commit felonies in the name of saving the environment."

-- Richard Roeper, EBERT & ROEPER

"But while Hoot's pro-environment message to kids is certainly worthy, the unquestioning, pro-vigilante angle doesn't sit entirely well."

Seattle Times Tom Keogh

2/4 "Its makers will tell you that Hoot is an educational film, but aside from showing that some owls live underground rather than in trees, little knowledge is actually imparted."
Detroit Free Press John Monaghan

2/5 "The reason that this film is evil is that it goes into the mind of a terrorist and then says: "Cool!!!!""
Greenwich Village Gazette Eric Lurio

C- "what environmentalist would put an alligator in a chemically treated port-o-potty?"
Reeling Reviews Laura Clifford

C- "Dumbs down a story that, for what it's worth, was no Holes to begin with… aggravates the book's narrative and moral problems while watering down its charms."

Decent Films Guide Steven D. Greydanus

C- "Hoot is safe enough to take your kids to, but you might want to have a talk with them afterward about continuing to go to school and shying away from major felonies."
Detroit News Tom Long

Geeze.... after reading the reviews I just can't figure out why parents did not take thier kids to see HOOT :o
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

jimolliemom
I Love the Now!

Post by jimolliemom »

Well...I still think it's a cute movie...Mollie enjoyed it and she's not a felon...Heck, we watch Road Runner too and Wyle E Coyote is always breaking the law...or his neck.

I am one of the few who hated Star Wars tho so I'm no movie critic! :o
"Mommy, when is Jimmy Buffett coming to OUR house? We go see him ALL THE TIME??" (Actual quote from my 5 y/o keet)

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

Jahfin wrote:
Beta, too! :wink:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

COMING TO A DISCOUNT RACK NEAR YOU

HOOT

Exclusivly in Beta
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Right Now --> La Vie Dansante (It changes often)
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan & Coke

Post by MrTwain »

I had high hopes for the movie, for several reasons. They had a pretty good cast (no, seriously!), a good, seasoned director and the screenwriter was no slouch. The music and backdrop set the stage for a good story. Early promos compared it to Holes (which my family loved).

No one in my family liked it. Too bad.
There's no Dumbass Vaccine

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Are VHS tapes still even being manufactured? I know they're all but gone from local rental stores.

Catch&Release
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by Catch&Release »

Looks like Hoot grossed $7.38 million

I'm guessing it made a little bit of $

http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/ ... ch.mv?Hoot
I don't want to live on that kind of island
No, I don't want to swim in a roped off sea.
Too much for me, too much for me
I've got to be where the wind and the water are free.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

It cost about $15 million to produce, they took a beating.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

By the time the DVD's are done and they have sold it to HBO etc. They will come out way ahead
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

LIPH wrote:It cost about $15 million to produce, they took a beating.
I thought production was $15+ and marketing budget doubled that to over $30 million...so unless they do well on DVD, VHS, 8-track, or whatever, there will be a few tax write-offs from this one...
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

LittleMrMagic
I have found me a home

Post by LittleMrMagic »

The biggest problem Hoot had, was it's re-distribution date. If it had been released when originally intended (4/18) it would have done much better. Not that it was released in the prime of the summer movie rush, but it did have some stiff competion from some guy named "Cruise" on the weekend they decided to release it.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Fire the distribution company!
- It's like some kind of cosmic shipwreck! www.utahparrotheads.com

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

LittleMrMagic wrote:The biggest problem Hoot had, was it's re-distribution date. If it had been released when originally intended (4/18) it would have done much better. Not that it was released in the prime of the summer movie rush, but it did have some stiff competion from some guy named "Cruise" on the weekend they decided to release it.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Fire the distribution company!
The biggest problem Hoot had was the movie itself.

... and the soundtrack didn't help :-?