JB on Myrtle Beach Guide

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

finupbarefootchildren
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 0

JB on Myrtle Beach Guide

Post by finupbarefootchildren »

Just got back from the beach, and I was walking around in the MB flea market and lord behold i saw Jimmy on the Myrtle Beach Guide.The pic is like the Licsence to Chill cover, except he's standing up. Inside its got a lil bio about him and how the restaurant started. I grabbed 5 since they are free. Also on for the caption by his pic on the cover reads " heard i was in town"
ImageImage
"And the Wino and I know the pain of back bustin, like a farmer knows the pain of his pickup truck rustin"

stinkyfeet
Southeast of disorder

Post by stinkyfeet »

Cool :D
...and my head hurts too...

Fins21
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Fins21 »

I'll be in Myrtle in June...can't wait to go back to M'ville there...such a cool place to chill! Gotta love Myrtle Beach!
We sailed from the port of indecision
Young and wild with oh so much to learn
Days turn into years as we tried to fool our fears, But to the port of indecision I returned.

SouthernSeas
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 130
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by SouthernSeas »

Like I have said before... Myrtle Beach has become Margaritaville central.
Sunset Beach is my Margaritaville. Where there is endless beach, no time, and sunshine that seems to last forever. I know that Someday I Will.....Someday.

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Myrtle Beach is overrun by touristas and tacky ass tourist traps designed specifically for them. Margaritaville is no different. That said, I'll probably visit it some day just to check it out but I doubt very seriously I'd ever eat there (or at Cheeseburger In Paradise). I love me some Jimmy Buffett but I'm not so fond of his corporate whoring side.

Fins21

Post by Fins21 »

Myrtle Beach is a GOLFERS PARADISE....hence why I love the place so much! 100+ golf courses in Myrtle...thats a little slice of heaven in my book!! The M'Ville there is a fun place to go as well...also has great talent in the evening for their house band! Nonetheless, I can see how people wouldn't like Myrtle Beach, not everyone is a golf fanatic!
Days turn into years as we tried to fool our fears, But to the port of indecision I returned.

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I have no doubt about the golfing aspect but I have no desire to see a weak ass Buffett imitator at Margaritaville either. I'm sure I will visit one day but it very likely won't be for the entertainment, unless it's the man himself.

finupbarefootchildren
I have found me a home

Post by finupbarefootchildren »

well i love the margaritaville there, everything about it. i go on vacation every year to MB for a week in july. weekend in may, weekend in november and whenever else i can. i love it, its my fav beach next to tybee island georgia which is quite a contrast. i wouldn't talk about something you don't know if you haven't ever seen it, like the MB margaritaville.
ImageImage
"And the Wino and I know the pain of back bustin, like a farmer knows the pain of his pickup truck rustin"

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I've seen it, albeit from the outside. It's just another store in the ever burgeoning JB empire. I don't fault him one iota for that since he said years ago when he started the first Margaritaville in Key West that he was doing it so he would have something to fall back on in the event the hits didn't keep coming. He's definitely a very astute businessman but years ago that seemed to begin to get in the way and can be heard in some of his music. Even more cringeworthy is the "Meet Me Im Margaritaville" bit that can be seen on the Mini Matinee disc that sounds more like a jingle for his franchises than an actual song. As I said, I still love me some Jimmy Buffett but I'm not overly fond of how dominant the business side has become to his muse.

Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

Jahfin wrote:Myrtle Beach is overrun by touristas and tacky ass tourist traps designed specifically for them. Margaritaville is no different. That said, I'll probably visit it some day just to check it out but I doubt very seriously I'd ever eat there (or at Cheeseburger In Paradise). I love me some Jimmy Buffett but I'm not so fond of his corporate whoring side.
I dont' care about his "corporate whoring side" though he certainly has one, but I agree completely agree with your comments about Myrtle. You go just a bit either north or south of there...it's a whole different world....and more that real coastal carolina feel.

I'd like to go to a Margaritaville someday....but.....I'd rather go to the beach...lol.
Well I’m a tidal pool explorer
From the days of my misspent youth
I believe that down on the beach
Where the seagulls preach
Is where the Chinese buried the truth...

--Coastal Confessions

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Jahfin wrote:...but I have no desire to see a weak ass Buffett imitator at Margaritaville either.
To me, this statement seems to be an assumption on your part, and it implies that all live entertainment at Margaritavilles are weak ass Buffett imitators... to which, I disagree whole-heartedly. Everyone, including "the best of them" in the music biz, has to start somewhere. But to each their own. :)
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Tiki Bar wrote:
Jahfin wrote:...but I have no desire to see a weak ass Buffett imitator at Margaritaville either.
To me, this statement seems to be an assumption on your part, and it implies that all live entertainment at Margaritavilles are weak ass Buffett imitators... to which, I disagree whole-heartedly. Everyone, including "the best of them" in the music biz, has to start somewhere. But to each their own. :)
I'm going by the majority of Buffett-influenced artists I've heard that I often see booked there. Some may be good but they're in the vast minority. Watered down Buffettesque tunes by pale imitators and even worse, Buffett tribute bands, are just not my personal taste in music.

which particular harbor?
I have found me a home

Post by which particular harbor? »

The last time we were in M'VILLE at MB the band played NOTHING JB at all. They played some good ole classic rock. They were quite good in my opinion. I like MB, but the gulf coast is for me! :) I wish they would open a M'VILLE in the redneck riviera (PC Beach for those not knowing)
I don't blame JB for branching out. When you are self-employed, as I am too (although beit, I bring in barely enough to be JB's pocket change) :D , you have to do all you can to insure you have money coming in and a retirement. Most folks probably think "oh if I was there I'd have money to spare and not spend like him". It's easier said than done...
Bouncing on a bubble full of trouble

Fins21

Post by Fins21 »

You must have seen the same band that I did...I think when I was there last they played maybe ONE Buffett song. Besides that it was all classic rock covers such as Springsteen, Dylan, etc. I thought they were very talented and really made the resteraunt come to life when the kitchen closed its doors. Immediate transformation into a fun loving place to hang out!

PhutureMD
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Farside Of The World
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, Beer, and, um, Beer. And Appleton's!

Post by PhutureMD »

If you go in the afternoon, the live music on the deck is usually pretty heavy on the Buffett covers, inside it's all Buffett with accompanying videos. For the most part the music inside at night is pretty standard bar band fare. For the first year they had Never the Hero as the house band, they were very good. Now that they're gone, we seem to be rotating several local bands. Also, as a side note, Myrtle Beach is losing golf courses at an alarming rate, converting them to housing areas.
Live. Love. Laugh. Repeat.

Fins21

Post by Fins21 »

LOSING GOLF COURSES!?!?!?! Don't tell me that!! I remember when the 100th golf course (Copperhead I believe) was put in there. It was a glorious event! They are losing them to housing developments?? That is too bad...although I could list a couple courses that I wouldn't mind being turned into housing developments. I must have seen the band at M'Ville that you said was really good (I was there when it first opened). Thats a shame they left...they were really good! I'll be in Myrtle in no time! Tee it Up!