Some people have all the luck..............

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

bubba phan
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by bubba phan »

Cubbie Bear wrote:Back in 1990 my concert promoter in Columbia, SC also was a long time Jimmy promoter from the early days. While negotiating our concert season, I asked the guy about perhaps setting up some lunch and golf with Jimmy around the Charlotte Show time.

The promoter told me, "Oh sure I can do that, but you'll pay for the golf, lunch, his drinks and maybe even mileage to get there, he is the cheapest son of a b*tch on the planet". (just one of many less than flattering things he told me)

Don't know if he still is, but this is a pretty reliable source as to his MO in the past.

I got fifth row tickets and a backstage invite out of the deal at least* And I still don't care if he is a tight a$$ or not or any of the other things I was told

*long story :evil:
Ya know, this is so true. The most well-to-do people I have met in my life would sqeeze a penny until it screams in pain.....maybe that's how they get to be well-to-do.
I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone....
ImageHeaven on Earth

fruitcake (aka drunkgirl)
Gypsies in the palace

Post by fruitcake (aka drunkgirl) »

bubba phan wrote:
Cubbie Bear wrote:Back in 1990 my concert promoter in Columbia, SC also was a long time Jimmy promoter from the early days. While negotiating our concert season, I asked the guy about perhaps setting up some lunch and golf with Jimmy around the Charlotte Show time.

The promoter told me, "Oh sure I can do that, but you'll pay for the golf, lunch, his drinks and maybe even mileage to get there, he is the cheapest son of a b*tch on the planet". (just one of many less than flattering things he told me)

Don't know if he still is, but this is a pretty reliable source as to his MO in the past.

I got fifth row tickets and a backstage invite out of the deal at least* And I still don't care if he is a tight a$$ or not or any of the other things I was told

Ya know, this is so true. The most well-to-do people I have met in my life would sqeeze a penny until it screams in pain.....maybe that's how they get to be well-to-do.
i'd have to say that's how they get where they are.

whether jimmy is a cheapskate and buying used appliances, i suppose anything is possible. i would think he would have one of 'the guys' do it for him, though. i have a hard time picturing him looking through the classifieds with pen in hand, circling the possibilities, and then calling phone numbers hunting down appliances.
Bring that young man over here
We gonna buy that boy a beer
And that ain't all we want to do
And bring your crazy uncle too

1 CP
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by 1 CP »

LIPH wrote:
jackiesic wrote:
1 CP wrote:
The Boy Nobody Knew wrote:I've gotta call shenanigans on this one. I've never seen any indications that JB is the eccentric cheapskate type anywhere before. If he is furnishing a house, vacation or otherwise, he (or probably an employee of his) is gonna probably be buying top of the line stuff and definitely buying it new. Him going garage sale hunting looking for a deal on used appliances, I'm not buying it.
I'm with you, Boy---First of all, as good as he says Jane is at building and decorating homes, i doubt he has much to do with that end of things... :lol: :lol:

...............unless, of course, he were setting up a secret "bachelor pad"

......but even then, he'd have Mike or Charleston or someone handle those details... :wink: :wink:

No, cute story but impossible :-? :-?

Or there is someone else with the same name :-)
Maybe it's the same guy who was in the Hamptons a couple of weeks ago, had dinner in a restaurant and told the waiter he didn't have any money with him. Went to his car, got an autographed CD and gave it to the waiter. One problem, it was the night of the Atlanta concert. :lol:
bet you're right!!! :lol:
"Be good and you will be lonesome, be lonesome and you will be free"

9/14 MSG=first Buffett concert!!

verphin
I have found me a home

Post by verphin »

I don't blame all of you who are skeptics, as I thought twice about it myself. But she is not one to make up stories. I'm going to talk to her soon to get more details, but I simply can't imagine her making this up. :-?
A bad day on vacation is always better than a good day at work!

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

verphin wrote:I don't blame all of you who are skeptics, as I thought twice about it myself. But she is not one to make up stories. I'm going to talk to her soon to get more details, but I simply can't imagine her making this up. :-?
I don't think folks are saying she made it up...but I do think there is a good possibility she's been "had" by someone trying to pass himself off as Jimmy, either for a joke or for more nefarious reasons. :-? I'm assuming he paid cash...so no way of verifying who he really was.

verphin
I have found me a home

Post by verphin »

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
verphin wrote:I don't blame all of you who are skeptics, as I thought twice about it myself. But she is not one to make up stories. I'm going to talk to her soon to get more details, but I simply can't imagine her making this up. :-?
I don't think folks are saying she made it up...but I do think there is a good possibility she's been "had" by someone trying to pass himself off as Jimmy, either for a joke or for more nefarious reasons. :-? I'm assuming he paid cash...so no way of verifying who he really was.
I hope that, too. She's a great person. I'll let you know after I talk to her.
A bad day on vacation is always better than a good day at work!

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

fruitcake (aka drunkgirl) wrote:
bubba phan wrote:

whether jimmy is a cheapskate and buying used appliances, i suppose anything is possible. i would think he would have one of 'the guys' do it for him, though. i have a hard time picturing him looking through the classifieds with pen in hand, circling the possibilities, and then calling phone numbers hunting down appliances.
Well, during the Alpine show, Jimmy said he'd flown up to Sheboygan earlier that day to look at dogs.... :o :lol:

Maybe someone else does the leg work but he likes to do the transactions when he has time....
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

Quiet and Shy wrote:
fruitcake (aka drunkgirl) wrote:
bubba phan wrote:

Well, during the Alpine show, Jimmy said he'd flown up to Sheboygan earlier that day to look at dogs.... :o :lol:

Maybe someone else does the leg work but he likes to do the transactions when he has time....
This story is just crazy enough that it could be true.... Jimmy doesn't have the look of a celebrity and certainly doesn't dress like one. I imagine he can get away with doing normal guy stuff if he wants too. I know that he mentions frequently how much he likes browsing in the sporting goods stores and riding his bike around the cities he visits. Ya just never know....
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

Tarheel Tail-Gator
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40, Migration, Cowboy in the Jungle,,,,,,
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Zaya, with Lime and 1 ice cube

Post by Tarheel Tail-Gator »

Maybe, he had a new idea to build a better Keg-i-nator

:lol:

It's a Margaritaville prototype

phinhead
Overkill

Post by phinhead »

If memory serves me correctly-Sam Walton (founder of Wal~Mart) drove around in an old pick up truck, and he was one of the wealthiest men in the country before he died. Not all wealthy people spend their money the way you think they might. Of course their is another possibility....It could have been someone else with the same name. I'm sure their is more than one Jimmy Buffett in the world.
Just my drunken thoughts on the subject. :D
Phin :pirate:
Bring me the hot sauce, bring me a beer. Going to be the last man standing, but where do you go from here?

Midnight Flyer
License to Chill
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojitos in the desert
Location: cruising on my landing gear just "taxiing round SJD" NOT heading back to KSNA!

Post by Midnight Flyer »

If it happened over the weekend-wasn't he in europe for the World Cup then flew back for the Heat game last night??? :-?

-Maybe he went by way of Gulf Port to see his sis and pick up some appliances... :lol: :pirate:
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."-MARK TWAIN

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Tarheel Tail-Gator wrote:Maybe, he had a new idea to build a better Keg-i-nator

:lol:

It's a Margaritaville prototype
and sells for $750... :D

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Midnight Flyer wrote:If it happened over the weekend-wasn't he in europe for the World Cup then flew back for the Heat game last night??? :-?

-Maybe he went by way of Gulf Port to see his sis and pick up some appliances... :lol: :pirate:
that is a lot of time in the air and on the ground... even if he used the little municipal g.a. field there a few miles north of LuLu's, hopped over to Gulfport (or took the ferry across Mobile Bay), and then off to Europe, back down to MIA, uff da...

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

RinglingRingling wrote:
Midnight Flyer wrote:If it happened over the weekend-wasn't he in europe for the World Cup then flew back for the Heat game last night??? :-?

that is a lot of time in the air and on the ground... even if he used the little municipal g.a. field there a few miles north of LuLu's, hopped over to Gulfport (or took the ferry across Mobile Bay), and then off to Europe, back down to MIA, uff da...
Jimmy is secretly Jack Bauer :roll:
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Cubbie Bear wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:

Jack has more hair...

FinsUp328
Lester Polyester

Post by FinsUp328 »

The Boy Nobody Knew wrote:I've gotta call shenanigans on this one. I've never seen any indications that JB is the eccentric cheapskate type anywhere before. If he is furnishing a house, vacation or otherwise, he (or probably an employee of his) is gonna probably be buying top of the line stuff and definitely buying it new. Him going garage sale hunting looking for a deal on used appliances, I'm not buying it.
Dane Cook?? :wink:
with a filthy mind and a choirboy's face

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

RinglingRingling wrote:
Cubbie Bear wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:

Jack has more hair...
OK, I have been to LA, if Jack can get back and forth across LA four or six times in 24, Jimmy can get from Alpine to the World Cup, to the Heat game, to garage sailing in this amount of time
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

badgfan
Southeast of disorder

Post by badgfan »

He rolled in to my wife's garage sale on his way to the concert at Alpine.
He bought some old tires and a coffee maker. :o

scubamyk
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by scubamyk »

I'll clear it up with him this weekend when he comes to pick up that old sofa of mine.

I'm not making fun, I'm making funny faces.
ImageImage

phenwayparrothead
Half-baked cookies in the oven

Post by phenwayparrothead »

There is no way this is false. Why woulda nyone make something like this up? And on a side note last night Lance Armstrong, Bruce Springsteen, Bill Gates, Ronald Mcdonald and myself were beamed onto an Alien aircraft. When released we headed down to the lake where we met up with the ghost of Ted Williams. Big Foot tried to sneak up behind us, but he stepped on one of Ronald's rubber toys so we caught him, (That whacky Ronald, always leaving those noisy toys around) just in the nick of time the boss speared the beast with a harpoon he had been carrying in his back pocket. Then Billy scrounged through a dumpster behind the local Subway for our dinner. We ended the night splitting a bottle of rubinoff and telling stories in Lance's van down byu the river. I thought about makeing this its own thread, but figured its nothing more than your typical day and didn't want to bore anyone.