What planes has Jimmy owned and flown?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

What planes has Jimmy owned and flown?

Post by Quiet and Shy »

I'm always interested in this myself (I love airplanes and flying :D ), but Crash says the Anaconda Air Force guys in Iraq are very intrigued and excited that Jimmy's a pilot. So, we're looking for a list and pictures of the planes Jimmy has owned and flown. And, please feel free to provide further details, info, corrections, stories, too.

I'm aware of the following, but I'm sure there's more:
Hemisphere Dancer -- Grumman Albatross
Widgeon -- (the one he crashed off Nantucket, I believe)
Cessna ? -- current seaplane
Stearman ? -- stunt plane, WWI training plane (TATS video)
Falcon ? -- nice business jet (new last year)
Citation ? -- previous biz jet ?

What else?

Thanks!
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

BUFFETTNEWS FAQ wrote:11. What planes does Jimmy currently own?

According to Landings.com, Jimmy currently has 5 planes registered as "Strange Bird Inc" (thanks to Cole for passing this along):

- N908JB: Dassault-Breguet Mystere Falcon 900 (registered 2/17/2005)
- N208JB: 1998 Cessna 208 (registered 12/20/2002)
- N43320: Boeing E75 Stearman (registered 3/19/2002)
- N928J: 1954 Grumman HU-16 (registered 11/16/1995)

No longer registered:
- N208JK: 1998 Cessna 208 (registered 3/18/1999)
- N502JB: 1982 Dassault-Breguet Falcon 50 (registered 4/13/2000)
http://www.buffettnews.com/faqs.html
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

nvparrothead
I have found me a home

Re: What planes has Jimmy owned and flown?

Post by nvparrothead »

Quiet and Shy wrote:I'm always interested in this myself (I love airplanes and flying :D ), but Crash says the Anaconda Air Force guys in Iraq are very intrigued and excited that Jimmy's a pilot. So, we're looking for a list and pictures of the planes Jimmy has owned and flown. And, please feel free to provide further details, info, corrections, stories, too.

What else?

Thanks!
Wow! i think you've nailed most if not all. He does talk about his Lake Amphibian and I have a picture of it somewhere. It may have also been in the Parrothead Handbook, or in a CD insert. Its kind of an odd looking plane with the engine mounted on top near the rear.I know at the Aspen show last year he used a leased Falcon 500 I have some pictures of it too. Complete with JB tailnumbers. I think Jane cruises around in it as well.
-------------------------------------
Tonight I just need my guitar.

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
BUFFETTNEWS FAQ wrote:11. What planes does Jimmy currently own?

According to Landings.com, Jimmy currently has 5 planes registered as "Strange Bird Inc" (thanks to Cole for passing this along):

- N908JB: Dassault-Breguet Mystere Falcon 900 (registered 2/17/2005)
- N208JB: 1998 Cessna 208 (registered 12/20/2002)
- N43320: Boeing E75 Stearman (registered 3/19/2002)
- N928J: 1954 Grumman HU-16 (registered 11/16/1995)

No longer registered:
- N208JK: 1998 Cessna 208 (registered 3/18/1999)
- N502JB: 1982 Dassault-Breguet Falcon 50 (registered 4/13/2000)
http://www.buffettnews.com/faqs.html
Great, thanks. I thought there was a Citation back in there somewhere, too...mentioned in APLA50....?

And if anyone has pics.... :D
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Post by Elrod »

Quiet and Shy wrote:And if anyone has pics.... :D

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Sheesh those pics make me wanna go for a ride....thanks E! :D

And this is still my favorite Stearman pic:

:o :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Quiet and Shy on July 9, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Quiet and Shy wrote:And this is still my favorite Stearman pic:

:o :lol: :lol:
Oh, mine too! :lol: :lol:

Good job there on the photos, E!

Midnight Flyer
License to Chill
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojitos in the desert
Location: cruising on my landing gear just "taxiing round SJD" NOT heading back to KSNA!

Post by Midnight Flyer »

nvparrothead wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:I'm always interested in this myself (I love airplanes and flying :D ), but Crash says the Anaconda Air Force guys in Iraq are very intrigued and excited that Jimmy's a pilot. So, we're looking for a list and pictures of the planes Jimmy has owned and flown. And, please feel free to provide further details, info, corrections, stories, too.

What else?

Thanks!
Wow! i think you've nailed most if not all. He does talk about his Lake Amphibian and I have a picture of it somewhere. It may have also been in the Parrothead Handbook, or in a CD insert. Its kind of an odd looking plane with the engine mounted on top near the rear.I know at the Aspen show last year he used a leased Falcon 500 I have some pictures of it too. Complete with JB tailnumbers. I think Jane cruises around in it as well.
If memory serves he flew his Falcon 900 to Aspen last year. Not sure how he has his business entities set up but it (N908JB) is owned by Strange Bird, Inc. Whether he leases it back from Strange Bird, I don't know.
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."-MARK TWAIN

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

he first jet was a cessna citation II.

AlbatrossFlyer

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

and yes there was a lake amphib

Adge
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 58
Favorite Boat Drink: Cadillac Margarita

Mansfield Fly Over Last Year

Post by Adge »

At last years concert on June 20th Jimmy flew over the parking lot before the show . . . it was pretty cool . . .

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Ha ha, maybe he'll buy one of the expired Shuttles and....who knows. I dunno what he'd do with it other than put the Fins logo on it.

I think JB needs to get an old PBY.

earthboundmisfit
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by earthboundmisfit »

Strange Bird is Jimmy's corporation that all his aircraft are owned by. I had read somewhere that his first aircraft was named "strange bird"

Another one i know of is Steve Jobs (of Apple Computer) his corporation is Tangerine Skys.

It supposedly limits ones responsibilty if something should happen? (not a lawyer, not sure how that works

If memory serves he flew his Falcon 900 to Aspen last year. Not sure how he has his business entities set up but it (N908JB) is owned by Strange Bird, Inc. Whether he leases it back from Strange Bird, I don't know.[/quote]

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

this place never ceases to amaze me
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.

nvparrothead
I have found me a home

Post by nvparrothead »

Midnight Flyer wrote:
nvparrothead wrote:

What else?

Thanks!
If memory serves he flew his Falcon 900 to Aspen last year. Not sure how he has his business entities set up but it (N908JB) is owned by Strange Bird, Inc. Whether he leases it back from Strange Bird, I don't know.
I've got picures from Aspen and it was a Falcon 500 (I think, not an aviation expert, just intersted in planes) different tail numbers than the N908JB, but JB tailnumbers to say the least. It shows up on the plane registry as a leased plane, but not through strange bird. I was at the show, and friend of mine saw him with the plane. We also got out on the airfield tarmac a couple of times that weekend and did not see the F 900. Aspen has a low key small airfield. All the corporate jets were parked in one area. Maybe Elrod put put the pics up. I could email them to him. He did such a nice job with the others. I don't have those kinda skills. I do want to be careful about giving out any personal info. that Jimmy may want to keep private. On the flight aware site this plane is also often tracked going from South Florida to New York/Long Island. Sometimes while Jimmy is in another city on tour. This is what leads me to believe Jane may be using it.
Tonight I just need my guitar.

Midnight Flyer
License to Chill
Location: cruising on my landing gear just "taxiing round SJD" NOT heading back to KSNA!

Post by Midnight Flyer »

nvparrothead wrote:
Midnight Flyer wrote:
nvparrothead wrote:

What else?

Thanks!
I've got picures from Aspen and it was a Falcon 500 (I think, not an aviation expert, just intersted in planes) different tail numbers than the N908JB, but JB tailnumbers to say the least. It shows up on the plane registry as a leased plane, but not through strange bird. I was at the show, and friend of mine saw him with the plane. We also got out on the airfield tarmac a couple of times that weekend and did not see the F 900. Aspen has a low key small airfield. All the corporate jets were parked in one area. Maybe Elrod put put the pics up. I could email them to him. He did such a nice job with the others. I don't have those kinda skills. I do want to be careful about giving out any personal info. that Jimmy may want to keep private. On the flight aware site this plane is also often tracked going from South Florida to New York/Long Island. Sometimes while Jimmy is in another city on tour. This is what leads me to believe Jane may be using it.
You can't view the Falcon on Flight Aware or any other "N" number tracking site. It is blocked.

"N502JB" is no longer assigned to the Falcon in the photo. Jimmy doesn't own that plane now.

I think he's had the new Falcon since early 2005. I'm almost positive it was the current plan that he flew to Aspen.

I'm sure AF can confirm/correct my info. :wink:
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."-MARK TWAIN

earthboundmisfit
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Falcon with "JB"

Post by earthboundmisfit »

there are only 6 Falcon's with the n-Reg containing "JB"

1-Falcon 50
1-Falcon 200
2 Falcon 2000's
1-Falcon 900 (the one above we know is JB's)
1-Falcon 900EX

which one could it be????
:lol:

Midnight Flyer
License to Chill

Post by Midnight Flyer »

Here are the planes owned by Strange Bird, Inc., managed by Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman:

N208JB-Cessna 208

N43320-Boeing E75 Stearman 8)

N908JB-Dassault-Breguet Mystere Falcon 900

N928JB-Grumman HU-16 (Albatross Flyer)

I could tell you more but... :pirate:

AlbatrossFlyer

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

Midnight Flyer wrote:You can't view the Falcon on Flight Aware or any other "N" number tracking site. It is blocked.
that is true
"N502JB" is no longer assigned to the Falcon in the photo. Jimmy doesn't own that plane now.
N502JB was the N number assigned to jimmy's old Falcon 50. He no longer owns or operates it, and it now has a different N number. FYI there is no such thing as a Falcon 500, there's a F50 and a F900 but no F50.
I think he's had the new Falcon since early 2005. I'm almost positive it was the current plan that he flew to Aspen.
the F900 entered air marg service around oct 2004
I'm sure AF can confirm/correct my info. :wink:
8)

El mojito
License to Chill

Post by El mojito »

nvparrothead wrote:

What else?

Thanks!
There is a picture of it in BBBB :roll:
"Life is just a tire swing" for Sophie
ImageImage