New Buffett LP

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Jahfin
Inactive User
Posts: 8084
Joined: October 6, 2003 5:38 pm

Post by Jahfin »

JustDucky wrote:I played Altered Boy for a friend of mine, a Buffett fan from way back, and he thought it stunk. But you see, he wasn't listening, he was just hearing it and for what it was not - classic Jimmy Buffett.

By no means is it a great song like I Have Found Me A Home or Tin Cup Chalice or Havana Daydreamin' or Wonder Why We Ever Go Home or Cowboy In The Jungle or Incommunicado or Somewhere Over China or Twelve Volt Man or Lone Palm or Island Fever.

But I like it. I like it because it's not Classic Buffett. Anyone can get into all the SYKBH and etc...but what about The Other Songs is what keeps me going back. Altered Boy is silly - obviously so. If you actually listen to it, he even introduces the song as a style from way off in faraway lands where the bands play music like that and just don't stop.

So it's rather obvious Jimmy is just having fun with a typical smarmy hotel lounge cocktail song that is, lyrically, about the absurdity of rich people. And that's good enough for me to enjoy it. I'd rather listen to Holiday or Altered Boy than Cheeseburger aaaaggggaaaaiiiiinnnnnn.
Well said and I get all things you point out in your post but it still s ucks.

When it comes to vintage Buffett vs. the new stuff I'm not looking for him to recreate the past as that would be even worse. Draw from it maybe but not repeat it. Not related to "Altered Boy" at all but I don't think every Buffett song has to have an island beat, steel drums or some sort of novelty slant to be good. Tunes such as "Six String Music" are evidence of that. I like the island tinged stuff too but I'm also just as huge a fan of Buffett the songwriter (or interperator, which seems to be more of the case these days).

photogal
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1685
Joined: January 22, 2004 10:27 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Tonga Juice
Location: massachusetts
Contact:

Post by photogal »

Really, just write some new songs already....done with sooo many covers. A couple are ok but what happened to the old Jimmy???

conched
Last Man Standing
Posts: 31386
Joined: June 26, 2001 8:00 pm

Post by conched »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Jahfin wrote:Hey, it's better than an album full of "Hokey Pokey's" and "Altered Boy's".
But.... but...... I like "Altered Boy", too! :o

(Love the "Peter Pan" reference.... :D )
Altered Boy is on RM now. :wink:

Now that's one we never heard in concert...

conched
Last Man Standing
Posts: 31386
Joined: June 26, 2001 8:00 pm

Post by conched »

conched wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Jahfin wrote:Hey, it's better than an album full of "Hokey Pokey's" and "Altered Boy's".
But.... but...... I like "Altered Boy", too! :o

(Love the "Peter Pan" reference.... :D )
Altered Boy is on RM now. :wink:

Now that's one we never heard in concert...
And, Miles just said it gives his goose bumps!! He doesn't think Jimmy has done it live.

Has anyone ever heard Altered Boy live?

gingerbreadman
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 10698
Joined: September 26, 2003 12:47 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: North Carolina

Post by gingerbreadman »

conched wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Jahfin wrote:Hey, it's better than an album full of "Hokey Pokey's" and "Altered Boy's".
But.... but...... I like "Altered Boy", too! :o

(Love the "Peter Pan" reference.... :D )
Altered Boy is on RM now. :wink:

Now that's one we never heard in concert...
But Miles just said that one gives him goosebumps... :o
Hey Snake, we need more wine!

Image

Jahfin
Inactive User
Posts: 8084
Joined: October 6, 2003 5:38 pm

Post by Jahfin »

photogal wrote:Really, just write some new songs already....done with sooo many covers. A couple are ok but what happened to the old Jimmy???
I guess the new album will reveal if Buffett's returned to doing more of the songwriting. He occasionally gets a good one off but more times than not he's seemed better suited to do songs that have been penned specificallly for him. If it turns out the well has indeed run dry I'd sooner take Buffett covering Mac (as well as other writers) than be subjected to weak material. When he does covers he tends to have a knack for making them his own, I prefer that too to hearing him lose touch with his former prowess as a songwriter.

changingchannels
License to Chill
Posts: 1278
Joined: September 18, 2002 1:37 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Long Island

Post by changingchannels »

i wouldnt be surprised if we get at least 1 of these covers on the next album:

the horizon has been defeated
lighthouse
time loves a hero

he played them on the salty piece of land tour last year and he's done that before and then released them on a new album.just like everybody's talkin'.
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Posts: 76378
Joined: January 11, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wherever the Music is Playing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

changingchannels wrote:i wouldnt be surprised if we get at least 1 of these covers on the next album:

the horizon has been defeated
lighthouse
time loves a hero

he played them on the salty piece of land tour last year and he's done that before and then released them on a new album.just like everybody's talkin'.
oooo..... Lighthouse would be cool!!
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Posts: 76378
Joined: January 11, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wherever the Music is Playing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Jahfin wrote:I guess the new album will reveal if Buffett's returned to doing more of the songwriting. He occasionally gets a good one off but more times than not he's seemed better suited to do songs that have been penned specificallly for him. If it turns out the well has indeed run dry I'd sooner take Buffett covering Mac (as well as other writers) than be subjected to weak material. When he does covers he tends to have a knack for making them his own, I prefer that too to hearing him lose touch with his former prowess as a songwriter.
I also have to wonder if time (or rather lack thereof) has a lot to do with Jimmy's songwriting. He's a very busy guy these days, and any kind of writing takes lots of time... If his songwriting has fallen off, I'd have to look first at time pressures moreso than loss of talent.

But besides that, he's written some damn fine songs along the way. I always wonder about prolific songwriters and fiction writers; where do they come up with their next idea? At some point, do they actually run out of things to write about?
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

JustDucky
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1763
Joined: March 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Post by JustDucky »

Ahh Jahfin! You are correct! It's not a good song by any means. It's funny but in a good way (compared to something really lame like Cultural Infidel or Math Suks). It's cheesy though and certainly nothing to be held up to the past.

However, Altered Boy is miles above Turning Around.

Tarheel Tail-Gator
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3507
Joined: April 22, 2004 11:16 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40, Migration, Cowboy in the Jungle,,,,,,
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Zaya, with Lime and 1 ice cube
Location: Carolina

Post by Tarheel Tail-Gator »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Jahfin wrote:I guess the new album will reveal if Buffett's returned to doing more of the songwriting. He occasionally gets a good one off but more times than not he's seemed better suited to do songs that have been penned specificallly for him. If it turns out the well has indeed run dry I'd sooner take Buffett covering Mac (as well as other writers) than be subjected to weak material. When he does covers he tends to have a knack for making them his own, I prefer that too to hearing him lose touch with his former prowess as a songwriter.
I also have to wonder if time (or rather lack thereof) has a lot to do with Jimmy's songwriting. He's a very busy guy these days, and any kind of writing takes lots of time... If his songwriting has fallen off, I'd have to look first at time pressures moreso than loss of talent.

But besides that, he's written some damn fine songs along the way. I always wonder about prolific songwriters and fiction writers; where do they come up with their next idea? At some point, do they actually run out of things to write about?
And he also has broadened into a Best Selling Author--

I think "Here We Are" is the "Fruitcakes" of this decade and Party at the End will grow on most fans the more they hear it.
Image

Spinniker
Southeast of disorder
Posts: 63
Joined: April 14, 2004 11:03 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Washington ( Left coast)

Post by Spinniker »

I didn't like "Altered Boy" at first, but it got me- and my 15 year old daughter, hooked on Martin Denny.... :D
I see a flying boat and I get a lump in my throat

LittleMrMagic
I have found me a home
Posts: 169
Joined: February 10, 2006 11:37 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by LittleMrMagic »

Thank you! Finally somebody said it! Martin Denny was a true genius. . . the Jimmy Buffett of his day. Hell, maybe even bigger. . . he, along with Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic Bergeron pretty much singlehandedly started the "Tiki" generation of the 50's that pretty much held its grasp on America imagination all the way up to the '70's disco generation.
Martin Denny's influence created a soundtrack for a whole generation of Mai Tai, Pina Colada and Volcano Bowl drinking Americans that paved the way for Jimmy Buffett's success with Margaritaville.
Jimmy owes a lot to Martin Denny and between "Altered Boy" and even his own version of "Quiet Village" on the Hawaii live CD, he has tried to give back with these tributes (a true shout out to a legend).
No they aren't typical Jimmy, they weren't meant to be. . . but they stand on their own for what they are.
- It's like some kind of cosmic shipwreck! www.utahparrotheads.com

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Post by RinglingRingling »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Jahfin wrote:I guess the new album will reveal if Buffett's returned to doing more of the songwriting. He occasionally gets a good one off but more times than not he's seemed better suited to do songs that have been penned specificallly for him. If it turns out the well has indeed run dry I'd sooner take Buffett covering Mac (as well as other writers) than be subjected to weak material. When he does covers he tends to have a knack for making them his own, I prefer that too to hearing him lose touch with his former prowess as a songwriter.
I also have to wonder if time (or rather lack thereof) has a lot to do with Jimmy's songwriting. He's a very busy guy these days, and any kind of writing takes lots of time... If his songwriting has fallen off, I'd have to look first at time pressures moreso than loss of talent.

But besides that, he's written some damn fine songs along the way. I always wonder about prolific songwriters and fiction writers; where do they come up with their next idea? At some point, do they actually run out of things to write about?
yes they do. Not saying that Tom Clancy is a great writer, but he is prolific, and now he's basically reduced to franchising his name out to other writers (who are not even as good) for sales. At some point, you run out of ideas and your take on the world is well-known so your books tend toward "makin' the rent" rather than innovation.

Cultural Infidel
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 34
Joined: March 3, 2004 7:16 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Illinois

Post by Cultural Infidel »

I like Altered Boy and I do get a kick out of Math Suks....

To be honest, the only JB song I skip every time is WDWGDAS... just don't like that song at all
Even Lying Dead on the Beach is Better than a Winter's Day in Illinois

parrotheadstueby
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Posts: 317
Joined: March 23, 2006 8:03 pm
Number of Concerts: 38
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark and Stormy
Location: LI, NY

Post by parrotheadstueby »

Any word if buffett's cover of "If I had a boat" by lyle lovett will be on the new cd-ever since COBO went done i havent heard it-would love to hear more boat/fishing/key west stories on his upcoming album
I want to go back to the island,
Where the shrimp boats tie up to the pilin'.
Give me oysters and beer for dinner ev'ry day of the year

Sam
Inactive User
Posts: 3993
Joined: February 5, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Somewhere between a Rock and a Hard Place

Post by Sam »

parrotheadstueby wrote:Any word if buffett's cover of "If I had a boat" by lyle lovett will be on the new cd-ever since COBO went done i havent heard it-would love to hear more boat/fishing/key west stories on his upcoming album
You can find it and other stuff in "The Vault" under Downloads at CoB,O You will have to register to download.
Roll with the punches, play all of your hunches...come what may...
Image POW-MIA, YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!!!
SUPPORT OPERATION JUST CAUSE!!!
http://www.ojc.org/

Burny Charles
Spaminator
Posts: 2557
Joined: April 23, 2003 9:29 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: If I knew where I was I wouldn't be here! :)
Contact:

Post by Burny Charles »

In mailboat's lingo, LP=Late Project, so I think you're correct. :D
Image

Post Reply