SYKBH "Gold Remaster" LP

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

SYKBH "Gold Remaster" LP

Post by JustDucky »

Does anyone recall this? I remember seeing that Golden version (or whatever the hell they were called) CD of SOASOASailor and thought I saw one of SJPTD with the original cover, not that horrbile yellow MCA Lack Of Quality cover.

And, ha ha, did anyone actually buy it!????

And WHY!??????????????

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

There are four Gold CD remasters of Jimmy's albums White Sport Coat, Son of A Son, Changes and Songs you know by heart

:D

nyfloridays
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita of course

Post by nyfloridays »

I actually have Changes and it si still in the plastic. I can't remember when I bought it

MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: SYKBH "Gold Remaster" LP

Post by MikeInNOLA »

JustDucky wrote:Does anyone recall this? I remember seeing that Golden version (or whatever the hell they were called) CD of SOASOASailor and thought I saw one of SJPTD with the original cover, not that horrbile yellow MCA Lack Of Quality cover.

And, ha ha, did anyone actually buy it!????

And WHY!??????????????
SJPTD!! The revolution begins!
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage

Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Post by Glorfindel7 »

nyfloridays wrote:I actually have Changes and it si still in the plastic. I can't remember when I bought it
I downloaded CILCIA for my iPod and it was the Gold Edition. I just have one question... What's the real difference between this one and the previous version?

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

I bought the Gold one cause it was prettier than the plain yellow one.

:wink: :lol:

MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake

Post by MikeInNOLA »

conched wrote:I bought the Gold one cause it was prettier than the plain yellow one.

:wink: :lol:
I am holding out for Meet Me In Margaritaville AGAIN with the remastered remasters and the four bonus tracks of WDWGDAS (reggae, bluegrass, rap, and Hawaiian versions) :oops: :wink:
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Never bought SYKBH, never saw the point.
Back to livin' Floridays

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

You must not be a "true fan". :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

Why is it that this thread title is making me think Jimmy is doing a rap album. It must be the word REMASTER.... LOL
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

yo yo yo, DJ Jimmy B is in da houzz - knowhatI'msayin'
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

I think the point of the Gold editions was that they were remastered. But from what I've learned over the years about remastering, I just don't trust MCA at all with actually remastering anything. When they took Buffett's albums and issued them on CD, they didn't do anything to make sure the CD editions would actually sound like that - they took the vinyl masters and just used those for the CDs (which is what happened to the entire Stones catalog until Virgin Records got ahold of their own catalog and now, finally, ABKCO has done a proper remastering of all the 1960s LPs). They said that all the tunes on the box set were remastered. Gee, just do a few more and the entire albums would be remastered which would mean rereleasing them with the actual artwork/linernotes of the original releases! Right?

No. They did and still do nothing. And then went through the effort to, ha ha, buff up SJPTD and - I mean SYKBH - with what became Meet Me In Margaritaville and then Jimmy decided to add some new tunes and versions and vwallah - a new actual remastered extended (and much better) version of SYKBH. Funny how Boat Drinks isn't on it. It should be.

I mean, like, you know, it's on SJPTD. Obviously there's no QC at MCA.

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

I have the gold version of SYKBH....bought it because it was my Key West souviner from a trip back in the early 90's.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

You mean them being gold and costing more don't make them sound better? :o
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

12vmanRick wrote:You mean them being gold and costing more don't make them sound better? :o
No silly, you left out the nice picture vs. the yellow cover.... :roll: :wink:
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

CapnK
Hoot!

Post by CapnK »

12vmanRick wrote:You mean them being gold and costing more don't make them sound better? :o
Yes, the idea is that the gold provides a higher sound quality and should last longer. You've got to have pretty good ears to hear the difference though.
Telling myself the same lies that I told myself back home

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

LIPH wrote:yo yo yo, DJ Jimmy B is in da houzz - knowhatI'msayin'
word yo

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

LittleMrMagic
I have found me a home

Post by LittleMrMagic »

From a recovering audiophile:
The gold actually made no sonic improvement. What did make an improvement was the 18 bit sampling rate that those discs (published by the now defunct Ultradisc) used, IF you had a CD player capable of reading an 18 bit data stream. . . most CD players to this day only sample a 16 bit data stream. Later discs by Ultradisc used as high as a 20 or 24 bit sampling, but once again, this fell on deaf ears 90% of the time, unless one had a CD player (or a CD player/external DA converter combo) then these discs sounded amazing. Some of those external Digital/Analog converters cost upwards of $5000.00. As much as I wanted to cry when I heard the beauty of the sound reproduction on one of these setups. . . I sobered quickly when I saw the price.
By the way, the gold created a denser reflective surface on the disc. It made the disc less prone to scratches and errors than it's aluminum brothers. It was also less prone to oxidation (or CD rot). Explaining CD rot (and attempting to keep it short), older CD's may delaminate due to oxidation and the 24k gold layer would resist this process of age.
It never truly did affect what you heard on these discs, however, that said I own seven of them. . .
Billie Holiday - Body and Soul (a magnificent remastering of this 1937 material in glorious Mono)
Louis & Ella - Together Again (if you can find it, it's a must own! 2 discs!)
Pink Floyd - The Wall & Dark Side of the Moon (Wow!)
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (IMHO, their best album), War and Joshua Tree (all worth buying, if you can find them)

I could only wish I had found Jimmy on the discs. Mobile Fidelity who did the re-mastering of all these works really did a bang up job. I would put these masters up against my vinyl of the same album any day.
- It's like some kind of cosmic shipwreck! www.utahparrotheads.com

LittleMrMagic
I have found me a home

Post by LittleMrMagic »

I just thought I'd give a head's up. If you go to http://www.mofi.com they have a listing of all current discs and all out of print material they have produced. SYKBH is not there . . . however, you might be able to find SOASOAS and "White Sports Coat & A Pink Crustacean" as they were both produced. . . I know I'll be looking for them.
One more thought, I used to be in the electronics industry and I remember when Ultradisc had the success they did in the early 90's, of course, those that couldn't come to an agreement with Mobile Fidelity (or were simply to greedy to) for rights to discs, did decide to jump the "Gold Disc" bandwagon, often without even the same rigorous remasterings that MoFi did. However, the sonic quality is just like that of the aluminum ones.
Don't buy those if you see them . . . Mobile Fidelity is the only disc worthy of your $30.00. Oh, and my apologies . . . as I found out when I Googled them after my first post here, MoFi is alive and well! Yippee!!!
- It's like some kind of cosmic shipwreck! www.utahparrotheads.com

Parrot Monkey
I Love the Now!

Post by Parrot Monkey »

I was really wondering myself if the "Gold" SYKBH actually sounded any better... I mean, it obviously wasn't a MFSL reissue as it dosen't have the border around the cover that reads "Original Master Recording", but it does have the original LP cover with just the title enlarged. (why did MCA ever change it to yellow anyway? Were they trying to say it is his "signature" album? Gah!) I was also wondering if the booklet to this "gold" version has the picture of Jimmy playing away on his guitar with a joyful smile that was on the original LP insert.

Did MCA just steal MFSL's term ("Gold" disc)? Hmmm....