Pirate looks @ 40 chords

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

CrznDnUS1 wrote:Also I dont know if it's right but in the "Meet Me In Margaritaville" songbook he has it like this:
G, C, G, Am7, Bm7, Am11(on the 3rd fret), G.
It dosen't say anytihg about alt tuning or moving up the fret board. But to me it looks like he is playing the same chords at a different location to add a change or sort of break, since the whole song in the book has no changes to the chords. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time that happend.
That is probably the most correct way but as in any song there are some added chords that you can skip that will not affect the overall sound of the song. Especially for those of us that are not really good. :D
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.
CrznDnUS1
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: I Have Found A Home
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Mezcal

Post by CrznDnUS1 »

12vmanRick wrote:
CrznDnUS1 wrote:Also I dont know if it's right but in the "Meet Me In Margaritaville" songbook he has it like this:
G, C, G, Am7, Bm7, Am11(on the 3rd fret), G.
It dosen't say anytihg about alt tuning or moving up the fret board. But to me it looks like he is playing the same chords at a different location to add a change or sort of break, since the whole song in the book has no changes to the chords. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time that happend.
That is probably the most correct way but as in any song there are some added chords that you can skip that will not affect the overall sound of the song. Especially for those of us that are not really good. :D
I guess that's why I changed the barred Am11 on the 3rd fret to a single note on the first fret. I bet you if you asked the author he would say just play it so it sounds good to you and so you enjoy it.
"The most aggravating thing about the younger generation is that I no longer belong to it." - Albert Einstein
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

Reefdiver wrote:According to the Jimmy Buffett Guitar Anthology book, the chords are...
G- C- C/B-Am7-G-Am7-Bm7-Am7-G-C/G- G-Am-Bm7-Am7-G-Am-Bm7-Am7-G-D7-G. In that order. Don't know if it's right or not, but I'm gonna give it a try later on. At least there's no barre chords in it. Damn, I hate those things. :evil:
BTW, the anthology book has it tabbed too.
I dunno how you play a Bm7, but the way *I* play it, it's a bar chord. :(

Then again...given where often I play it, they're *all* "bar chords." Unless I'm playing in a coffeehouse.

Now I just gotta figure out a tasteful way of playing the back 4 of the instrumental...

Loren
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
Reefdiver
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Reefdiver »

Well, when I posted that, I was going by the diagram in The JB Anthology book. It has a Bm7 as being played by depressing the A string second fret, G string second fret, and B string third fret. After checking The Fender Chord Finder book, you are absolutely correct. Bm7 is a bar chord. Guess thats why I pretty much s*** at playing guitar. There's so many different ways to play different chords that I get confused easily. The fact that I've only been playing for less than a year, probably has a lot to do with it too. I'm still using the cheaters way of forming an F chord. :oops: Wanna give me some free lessons? :D
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it"

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
Image</a>
12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

Reefdiver wrote:Well, when I posted that, I was going by the diagram in The JB Anthology book. It has a Bm7 as being played by depressing the A string second fret, G string second fret, and B string third fret. After checking The Fender Chord Finder book, you are absolutely correct. Bm7 is a bar chord. Guess thats why I pretty much s*** at playing guitar. There's so many different ways to play different chords that I get confused easily. The fact that I've only been playing for less than a year, probably has a lot to do with it too. I'm still using the cheaters way of forming an F chord. :oops: Wanna give me some free lessons? :D
I s*** too, trust me. I prefer the barchord F. I am not familiar with a cheaters F.

I still have trouble getting to the D chord from anywhere.
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.
trentonleonard
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by trentonleonard »

they are still the same am7 g c slash chords he just plays them at a higher register to harmonize with mac
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Open G does not mean the song starts in D so I don't understand why you're confused. The song does not start in D. The dropped D is not really used but that's the correct tuning. A lot of the music books make easy versions for people who do not really understand how to play guitar in the way of calling out a Dm7th and so on. APLAF can be played in standard tuning just as well. I've done both and the difference does not mean the sun won't set tomorrow. When you're playing a gig you're not going to tune your guitar like that for just one song you're just going to play the basic structure of the tune. Either way it's in G with an A minor and B minor in there. It's no big deal, hell, use a capo and change it.
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

JustDucky wrote: When you're playing a gig you're not going to tune your guitar like that for just one song (...).
Unless you're Jimmy, and you have four guitars and two roadies standing by so you can swap 'em out between songs. :)

Loren
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Ha! Jimmy changing guitars? Child's play. Check out Keith Richards. Now that's having the change guitars.

I was talking about performing SOLO. There's no need to change the tuning to play APLAF. Just play it straight.