Do you buy (extra) Buffett tickets to re-sell?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Do you buy (extra) Buffett tickets from TM to sell?

Yes, but I don't go to the show; I buy to re-sell them and make money
4%
Yes, I try to sell extras for a profit to help cover the cost of my tickets
12%
Yes, but I don't look for a profit, only face value and fees
27%
No, I buy just what I/we need
57%

Total votes: 90

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

surfpirate wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:
surfpirate wrote:(and honestly, do you expect many people to post here admitting that they subsidize their Buffett fix by reselling their tickets?)
That's why I did a poll...the votes are anonymous (although I wouldn't be surprised if phjim could look them up if he chose to do so). And if people want to post and share beyond their vote, that's great...but not required. :)
People here at BN are part of a community, and will tend to look out for one another. That's part of what makes this special. That's not necessarily true of the greater ticket buying public.
I fully realize, appreciate and expect that; this isn't at all intended to reflect the "real world." :wink: I'm just looking for a "snapshot" of those who read this thread and answer polls on BN. :)
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Re: Do you buy (extra) Buffett tickets to re-sell?

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Gulfbreeze wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:We know ticket buying time is a frenzy. And since we have to plan so far ahead getting numbers right can sometimes be a challenge...but I'm curious how people generally approach this.

When TM puts Buffett tickets on sale, if you are lucky enough to get through, do you buy just what you need or do you buy extras to sell? For example, if you need 2 do you buy 4 and put the extra pair up for sale on eBay, BN (or wherever)?
There are a few of us that are happy you "over-bought" for the Chicago concert... :wink:
I called that an "only bought what I need" because there's a specific name attached to each ticket. Taking care of good friends is a necessity, in my book. :)

Ummm...you are planning to pay for those...aren't you?? :o

I wonder how much I can charge....
:wench: :wink: :lol:
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

Midnight Flyer
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojitos in the desert
Location: cruising on my landing gear just "taxiing round SJD" NOT heading back to KSNA!

Post by Midnight Flyer »

At the risk of being ostracized and permanently banned, I will admit I will buy tickets for Jimmy's concerts for the sole purpose of reselling them at a profit. In recent years I have found his shows to be boring and predictable productions and have no desire to pay to see one. But he remains wildly popular and if I can easily and legally benefit from that, I will. 8)
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."-MARK TWAIN

CTParrothead763
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by CTParrothead763 »

Big Jimmy wrote:I have no problem admitting that I do try to get extras to sell for a profit.

My theory on this is simple. I busted my ass to get the tickets. Either by taking a day off work to get them by standing in COLD weather, or whatever the case may be.

You the person who decided to sleep in thinks that they should get tickets for face value.

I say-- You snooze you lose, you want to go, you gotta pay a premium, because I did all the leg work.

Over charging is not immoral. Just look at what you pay for a beer at the venues. Your paying 8/9 bucks for a tap beer of REAL CRAP BEER. What should cost you AT MOST 3 bucks, your paying 3 times that, and its even watered down more.

Hey, I'm not arguing with you because I appreciate your entreprenurial spirit.

However, I think the flaw in your logic is that I may have been trying for tickets as hard as you, but got shut out because people like you were buying extras. If you didn't buy too many in the first place, others like me might not have been shut out.

Big Jimmy
User banned 30 days

Post by Big Jimmy »

CTParrothead763 wrote:
Big Jimmy wrote:I have no problem admitting that I do try to get extras to sell for a profit.

My theory on this is simple. I busted my ass to get the tickets. Either by taking a day off work to get them by standing in COLD weather, or whatever the case may be.

You the person who decided to sleep in thinks that they should get tickets for face value.

I say-- You snooze you lose, you want to go, you gotta pay a premium, because I did all the leg work.

Over charging is not immoral. Just look at what you pay for a beer at the venues. Your paying 8/9 bucks for a tap beer of REAL CRAP BEER. What should cost you AT MOST 3 bucks, your paying 3 times that, and its even watered down more.

Hey, I'm not arguing with you because I appreciate your entreprenurial spirit.

However, I think the flaw in your logic is that I may have been trying for tickets as hard as you, but got shut out because people like you were buying extras. If you didn't buy too many in the first place, others like me might not have been shut out.
Well in a non arsehole way of putting it--- Maybe I put a little more effort into getting closer in line, aka brining more people with me, payin the broads who run the ticketmaster a 10 or 20 spot to make sure I get tickets. There is two groups of people. Those who do the work, and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group, there is less competition.

I AM AN AMERICAN
USA COMES FIRST
THE REST COME LAST

LEARN IT
LOVE IT
LONG LIVE THE USA OR DIE

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

I try to only buy what I need, but since my traveling buddy lives in another state, we go at it from as many angles as possible. If we end up with extras (which has never happened) we let 'em go at face.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

Triathlete-Parakeet2
Gypsies in the palace

Post by Triathlete-Parakeet2 »

I really wish people wouldnt buy more than they need. I've seen tickets to Jb shows on ebay from people living all the way across the country who obviously have no intentions of going to the show, just selling the tix for thousand the week before. :evil:

mjeischen
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Just one? . . . Bastards!
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Draft Beer and things with Sailor Jerry

Post by mjeischen »

I usually buy extras. It never fails people decide after the fact they want to go to the big show . . . we are sometimes left with extras and we split them between face and profit. Anything to offset costs of it all helps. I never do Buffett on the cheap.
The Parrot Dice Lounge kinda like a mirage. Here today and gone tomorrow. You should stop by and say hello when visiting Chicago on tour.

moeron
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks.
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita's with good Tequila

Post by moeron »

I belive in karma, So I would not scalp. I was able to buy 4 tickets to AV this year. I needed only 3. so I am either find a phriend to go or sell it on ticket exchange. When Jimmy played at wrigley, I bought 5 tickets. 2 for the wife, and 3 incase I wanted to see Jimmy instead of working at Wrigley. I sold the 3 to a phriend of the wife. for cost. I think that if she ever had extra, and I was shut out it would come back to me. I like to think that. It makes me feel better that I helped someone out. Money is nice but the feeling helping is nicer. I know some are thinking that I am a smuck, Smaybe I am. But it dosen't hurt to help someone out every now and then.
I'd rather die while I'm Living, Than live while I'm dead!
ImageImage

CTParrothead763
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by CTParrothead763 »

moeron wrote:I belive in karma, So I would not scalp. I was able to buy 4 tickets to AV this year. I needed only 3. so I am either find a phriend to go or sell it on ticket exchange. When Jimmy played at wrigley, I bought 5 tickets. 2 for the wife, and 3 incase I wanted to see Jimmy instead of working at Wrigley. I sold the 3 to a phriend of the wife. for cost. I think that if she ever had extra, and I was shut out it would come back to me. I like to think that. It makes me feel better that I helped someone out. Money is nice but the feeling helping is nicer. I know some are thinking that I am a smuck, Smaybe I am. But it dosen't hurt to help someone out every now and then.

Thinking you're a schmuck? You've got to be kidding. That's the nicest post I've read in awhile. I believe more people think like you than not.

mac&pmfhan
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by mac&pmfhan »

I have gone to shows for over thirty years and never once even thought about scalping. On the few occasions I have extra tickets it only takes a couple of calls to make a friend very happy.

However, recently I can't get even get tickets for my wife & I. With the internet so many people try to flip tickets its ridiculous.

It’s nice to see that over 80% of BN members don't scalp.

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

mac&pmfhan wrote:It’s nice to see that over 80% of BN members don't scalp.
Here! Here! Bravo!
Poll results are non-scientific and reflect a plus or minus 80% error factor.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |