TagAlong (david) Needs an Explanation

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

mermaidindisguise
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Lucky Stars
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Key Lime Pie By Z-Man!

Post by mermaidindisguise »

ragtopW wrote:
mermaidindisguise wrote:I see Larry's point.... Les brought it up as well.

MOTM - 3000 fans

Ford- 20,000 - 25,000 fans x 2 nights. = $$$$$$$

Of course Larry's point I think was that many more people would get to see him - I saw it more as more money from the business perspective. I'm just p*** because I commited to something else Sat night!

I do think MOTM will be fun with all the singers who will be there. So many good songwriters! So many Parrotheads! So many stripBars!!! :o :wench:

fixed it for you
:wink: :D :D
how kind of you..... :D
and I didn't make it to one this weekend.... ALMOST went to Bare Assetts just to do something "wild" ..... turns out I was more tired than wild!
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

ToplessRideFL wrote:
LIPH wrote:3000 or so people are disappointed the Reefers won't be at MOTM. 20,000+ people will be happy to see the Reefers with Jimmy at each of 2 concerts in Tampa. on't
I know its not the popular answer.... but I agree with you Larry.

However :oops: :oops: I will be in Tampa for at least one of the shows.... hell..... its 10 minutes from my house :wink:

That said.... Jimmy owes me nothing. PHIP is very specific about not having direct relationship with Mville or JB...... Its a seperate entity. Shoot.... I doubt PHIP called Jimmy and asked him his tour schedule when they selected this years dates. And vice versa on Jimmy's end.

I didnt go to MOTM last year to see Jimmy.... I didnt go to see the CRB in their various solo acts.... I went to share 4 fabulous days with like minded people.... any thing else was a bonus! :D

And... lets not forget.... Mr Buffett is an entertainer. We pay to see his show... or we dont. Its bidness. :wink:

good points Susan! i went for the same reason and for the various Trop Rock acts that i love so much! JOHN FRINZI,SUNNY JIM, HUGO etc,etc. Seeing the Coral Reefers is an excellent bonus! 8)
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Just stumbled across this thread...

I'm not completely sure how to articulate my thoughts, but I'll give it a shot.

I honestly can't believe his people missed this conflict; if Jimmy really wanted a different schedule it would be different. That said, placing shows in direct conflict with his own fan clubs' convention (when he's only playing ~20 big shows a year) is just bizarre. And it's especially odd that he'll be playing about as close as he can get without actually being in Key West. It's as though he's competing with himself (and I don't think this is about the money).

That aspect aside, we all have choices to make...even Jimmy. What confuses me most about this choice is the CRB piece. They've basically been the headline and big draw performers at MOTM for several years (plus JJW last year). It's their paid gig where they play their music to probably their biggest crowds of the year (and where they likely sell bunches of CDs)...and Jimmy tells them to be in Tampa.

Is the Coral Reefers' first priority to JB? Sure (if they want to keep that job). Does their MOTM opportunity exist because of JB? Absolutely. However given the option, why choose to treat long term loyal band members this way? (I can't imagine he's jealous or selfish about their MOTM success.) Why unnecessarily force an issue that removes an opportunity for others (your band members) and creates collateral damage (MOTM fans)? Jimmy has typically appeared to be a more gracious and generous person; I'm just having trouble connecting the dots on this one.

For those excited about Tampa, by all means go and have fun. :D It's great you've got some November fun to look forward to and good luck with tickets. I really don't think anyone here wishes you badly or intends to rain on your parade (or tailgate). Just please understand that this is just...wierd...and people need some space to try and sort this through.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Quiet and Shy wrote:Just stumbled across this thread...

I honestly can't believe his people missed this conflict; if Jimmy really wanted a different schedule it would be different. That said, placing shows in direct conflict with his own fan clubs' convention (when he's only playing ~20 big shows a year) is just bizarre. And it's especially odd that he'll be playing about as close as he can get without actually being in Key West. It's as though he's competing with himself (and I don't think this is about the money).

That aspect aside, we all have choices to make...even Jimmy. What confuses me most about this choice is the CRB piece. They've basically been the headline and big draw performers at MOTM for several years (plus JJW last year). It's their paid gig where they play their music to probably their biggest crowds of the year (and where they likely sell bunches of CDs)...and Jimmy tells them to be in Tampa.

Is the Coral Reefers' first priority to JB? Sure (if they want to keep that job). Does their MOTM opportunity exist because of JB? Absolutely. However given the option, why choose to treat long term loyal band members this way? (I can't imagine he's jealous or selfish about their MOTM success.) Why unnecessarily force an issue that removes an opportunity for others (your band members) and creates collateral damage (MOTM fans)? Jimmy has typically appeared to be a more gracious and generous person; I'm just having trouble connecting the dots on this one.

For those excited about Tampa, by all means go and have fun. :D It's great you've got some November fun to look forward to and good luck with tickets. I really don't think anyone here wishes you badly or intends to rain on your parade (or tailgate). Just please understand that this is just...wierd...and people need some space to try and sort this through.
this is the part I am having the most difficulty with. If he were playing the West Coast, or a gig in Tahiti/Oz as part of that leg, it would be easier to understand the "no CRB members".
ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

You did very well my phrend! And you make excellent points. As usual :wink:
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII
MacPhin
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything BUT Cheeseburger
Favorite Boat Drink: PainKiller

Post by MacPhin »

ToplessRideFL wrote:

You did very well my phrend! And you make excellent points. As usual :wink:
w/topless.

you hit points that david and i discussed at length. i didn't mention them because i thought the content of the thread was long enough.
thanks q&s
Image Image
JB on Anguilla 3/24/07 St.Barth's 11/7/09

Lately,newspaper mentioned cheap airfare.
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere.
I'm close to bodily harm.
photogal
I Love the Now!
Favorite Boat Drink: Tonga Juice

Post by photogal »

Your right, it just doesnt add up. I dont get it. Its hard not to be p*** about the CRB not being at MOTM. It is a big deal for the band.
Just kinda weird.
And I dont need to be told "Jimmy doesnt owe you a thing" crap so save it.
Believe, Be Light, Be Love.........p.mayer
miphinz
Gypsies in the palace

Post by miphinz »

Jimmy doesn't "OWE" any of us anything, however there is a little thing known as loyalty or respect. He is obviously aware the MOTM takes place every year same place same time, why he would schedule the refers for something else during that time is beyond any rational explanation anyone on this site can provide, only he can. One would think that after all the loyalty we have all shown him over the years he would be kind enough to return the favor. He only does about 20 shows this year that would leave 345 available days on his schedule, to do not one but two shows during MOTM is to me a slap in the face. He is under no obligation to show during that week however the Reefers have become a staple at MOTM and to deny his fans of this is ridiculous. He can play Tampa any of the other 345 available dates WTF!!!
I know I dont get there often enough but god knows I surely try
ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

just thinking about something.....

Wouldnt the CRB make more money in 2 shows playing with Jimmy that at MOTM.... even with the CD sales?

Just wondering...I dont have any scientific knowledge of how much the CRB band members make...nor do I care.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Next year maybe Jimmy will check with all the fans to make sure they don't have any schedule conflicts before he releases his tour dates. yes, I'm being sarcastic
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
photogal
I Love the Now!

Post by photogal »

I dont think the CRB cares about how much money they would make compared to a show or MOTM.
ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

LIPH wrote:Next year maybe Jimmy will check with all the fans to make sure they don't have any schedule conflicts before he releases his tour dates. yes, I'm being sarcastic
SPEW... I needed that laugh.... now I can leave this thread ....for now.... :wink: before I say something I shouldnt.
photogal
I Love the Now!

Post by photogal »

LIPH wrote:Next year maybe Jimmy will check with all the fans to make sure they don't have any schedule conflicts before he releases his tour dates. yes, I'm being sarcastic
Very funny, its just that MOTM is always the same time, and as someone else said he had 360 other days to pick from.
All he had to say to his manager/booking agent was "Oh sorry my band is not available for 3 days out of the whole year." How hard would that be?
Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by Gulfbreeze »

I'm kinda busy on Saturdays...maybe he'll take that into consideration next year... :lol: :lol:
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I guess I might feel snubbed too if I were in a Parrothead Club and were going to MOTM. If I did go I'd be more interested in hanging with friends and seeing some indie "Trop Rock" acts than members of the CRB who are great but without Jimmy don't do much for me.
I hear Jim Morris always puts on some good shows down there.
One of these days......
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday

Post by parrothead216 »

Absolutely right on the money, Alison!

GOT NOTHING BUT.......??????????????????

Good to see you here again! Judy and I have missed you and your wonderful and articulate post!

Don't be away so much, Phriend! :wink: Please!
Last edited by parrothead216 on August 20, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BUFFETTING: The act of leaving reality and going off to see Jimmy Buffett!

Mr. Webster, we have a NEW definition!
Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3

Post by Migration Michelle »

ToplessRideFL wrote:
SPEW... I needed that laugh.... now I can leave this thread ....for now.... :wink: before I say something I shouldnt.
Laughed out loud on that one too. I agree, Susan. :wink: :wink:
popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

The only MOTM I was ever at was the year I lived there, so my opinion may matter a little less than those from people who plan a vacation around it, but my "expectation", if you will, of it would be "I have a chance to be in key West with a ton of other PH's and have several days of scheduled events catered to us." everything else would be gravy. My thought is, if he's got two shows in Tampa at the same time, it increases the odds that he might just show up to take in the sights. Friends who have lived in KW for a long time tell stories of him showing up and just wandering through the crowd, walking by people who love him but ended up having to do double takes--"Wait a second. Didja see that guy that just walked by? Didn't he look like Jimmy?"
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

popcornjack wrote:The only MOTM I was ever at was the year I lived there, so my opinion may matter a little less than those from people who plan a vacation around it, but my "expectation", if you will, of it would be "I have a chance to be in key West with a ton of other PH's and have several days of scheduled events catered to us." everything else would be gravy. My thought is, if he's got two shows in Tampa at the same time, it increases the odds that he might just show up to take in the sights. Friends who have lived in KW for a long time tell stories of him showing up and just wandering through the crowd, walking by people who love him but ended up having to do double takes--"Wait a second. Didja see that guy that just walked by? Didn't he look like Jimmy?"

We may not be able to recognize JB wandering through the crowd, but we could recognize Charleston. :D
Last edited by dnw on August 21, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Debbie
PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

Post by PeretHed66 »

This reply will be in the unpopular minority, but it's how I feel.....

I'm ecstatic that JB has the couple of Tampa dates - another opportunity for me to see Bubba. Does it s*** that it comes at the possible expense of the CRB not being at MOTM? For those who were counting on it (even though it wasn't guaranteed), sure, I understand your pain. But to direct some of the venomous diatribes that have been posted above at JB, is, in my mind, ridiculous. Look, like it or not, JB is a businessman. I know we'd all like to believe that JB is above all of this, and would make sacrifices for his fans - but I think we've all seen that that just isn't the case. We've seen his lawsuit against the internet shop selling shirts, going after the original "Cheeseburger in Paradise" restaurant, his troubles with Fingers years ago, signing licensing deals to slap his name on blenders, coolers, frozen shrimp and wings, dumping Corona for Landshark Lager, etc. And you can't blame him for it - it's his name and his business, and he's protecting it and expanding it. So be it.

And like the poster above mentioned, what will generate more $ for him (and most likely, just a supposition here, the CRB)? Some shows at MOTM, or a couple of sellout shows at the Ford Amphitheater? Not really a question. And though I don't really know how much the CRB makes, I do know last Halloween, the Sunday after the Vegas show, my girlfriend, while flying back to Orlando on Southwest, ended up sitting next to Jim Mayer - so you know they're not flying 1st Class or chartered (again, just a supposition based on some pretty good evidence). If two shows in Tampa bring them a lot more $ then MOTH, can you really blame them?

And to the poster who threw out the "real Parrot Head" comment above, I couldn't disagree more (and to be honest, it actually kind of ticks me off when people throw that kind of junk out). Going to MOTM, or belonging to local chapter, doesn't make you a "real Parrot Head". It's about the music - doesn't matter how much you own, how many shows you've been too, how much stuff you've got.....if you enjoy the music, if it takes you out of the real world for a while, then you're a "real Parrot Head". I've never been to MOTM, never had a great desire to go - too many crowds, I prefer my Keys experiences (and to be honest, most of my vacation time) to be crowd-free. No disrespect meant to those who enjoy it, but it's not my deal. And I consider myself a "real Parrot Head".

Fire away, I can take it..... :lol: