The end of satellite radio?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

The end of satellite radio?

Post by TropicalTroubador »

I just read an interesting article making a case for the impending end of Sirius XM, which of course would send RM back to the Internet:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/featur ... hp/3786146

Some interesting and amusing points, pro, con, and otherwise, are also made in the comments.

So...would the end of Sirius XM be good or bad for Radio Margaritaville? I hope it would bring back the old format of slightly more indie Trop Rock than they now play.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

SeattleParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

It figures! I just added Sirius to both my cars! :evil:
ImageImage

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." ~ Oscar Wilde
SPH

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SharkOnLand »

Hmm. I don't agree. There's a difference between listening to your own mp3s and listening to radio. Radio introduces me to new stuff, that I eventually end up buying. I'd have never bought a Boat Drunks CD without being introduced to them by RM.

I think the record companies have a stake in keeping radio alive, for that very reason. People won't buy music they haven't heard, and if you're only listening to your own collection of mp3s, you aren't being exposed to new music. The record companies (and the artists) need people to be exposed to new stuff.

The only thing that would keep me from my Sirius is if I couldn't afford it anymore.
Image Image

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

um.......I have Sirius in my van and on my Dish network and Radio Margaritaville has been and IS on both....
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: APLA40
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Why, you buying???

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

90% of my listening on satelite over the last 3 years (and that is all I listen to, just cant stand terrestrial :x ) is either Howard Stern, Bubba the Love Sponge or news/sports. The other 10% is RM. Satelite radio will not fail, they will just change names and proceed.

Bwana Paul
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 200

News

Post by Bwana Paul »

I think this guys arguments are a bit weak.

seanr
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango In Paris, Carnival World, The Pascagoula Run
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Sampling various rums,Pendelton Whiskey

Post by seanr »

FINSUPinIdaho wrote:90% of my listening on satelite over the last 3 years (and that is all I listen to, just cant stand terrestrial :x ) is either Howard Stern, Bubba the Love Sponge or news/sports. The other 10% is RM. Satelite radio will not fail, they will just change names and proceed.
Let's hope they bring Bubba back seems to still be up in the air
ImageImage

I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead..

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

I sorta agree - it COULD be the end. I had Sirius and when I sat down and thought about how much time I didn't spend in my car at that time, and how much time I didn't listen at home it just didn't make sense to spend that money.

I've got a HD radio now and it's awesome!!! 2 channels per HD station and I get good music. Can't ask for more for free.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

SharkOnLand wrote:Hmm. I don't agree. There's a difference between listening to your own mp3s and listening to radio. Radio introduces me to new stuff, that I eventually end up buying. I'd have never bought a Boat Drunks CD without being introduced to them by RM.

I think the record companies have a stake in keeping radio alive, for that very reason. People won't buy music they haven't heard, and if you're only listening to your own collection of mp3s, you aren't being exposed to new music. The record companies (and the artists) need people to be exposed to new stuff.

The only thing that would keep me from my Sirius is if I couldn't afford it anymore.
Heck, yes. I get tired of only listening to stuff I already have. I don't even have satellite, but the only time I listen to terrestrial radio is for a little bit of local news and sports broadcasts. If I'm at a computer about all I listen to is internet radio.

FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: APLA40
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Why, you buying???

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

Let's hope they bring Bubba back seems to still be up in the air
Yes, I told my wife do not re-up me for another two tears (christmas gift) until I hear if Bubba is going to be back. That guys and his team floor me every day. Unbelievable radio. Those with thin skin and a extreme sense of PC, need not listen though....

I also spend 550-700 miles a week in my truck making sales calls, so to me it is money well spent. Those morning terrestrial radio guys (Bob and Tom, etc...) just make me want to toss cookies. Sooo frigging cheesy and contrived.

NelliBli
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by NelliBli »

I absolutely LOVE my XM radio, and it's even better now that I can get Radio Margaritaville. My daughter was even impressed when we drove home from Philly before Thanksgiving (to Buffalo) and is going to have her radio activated! I've had XM since the beginning & I don't want to lose it!!

caly
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: skinny pirate
Location: St. Thomas, but not the one in U.S.V.I....Canada!!!

Post by caly »

I had RM on in my Edge and my Mom gets in and says.......That's a Jimmy Buffett song isn't it? She thought it was amazing timing and I said it was all Jimmy all the time. That concept blew her away. She will be 80 in 6 months and had not heard of satellite radio in a car.

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

I think the reports of XM/Sirius's death are greatly exaggerated.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...

docandjeanie
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Post by docandjeanie »

I hope it doesn't happen. I listen to either internet live 365 vip or satellite, very little other radio.
ImageImageImage

BFinnsUp
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: That's What Living is to Me
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito
Location: probably Central PA, but my mind is always somewhere else

It is possible

Post by BFinnsUp »

I read the posts before I read the article and thought that the one thing that could kill Sirius XM is internet radio in the car. So, when I read his article I had to agree that that was a serious threat. The good thing is that we would still have access to RM.

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

If anything kills Sirius/XM it will be their own foolishness pre-merger. They had bidding wars trying to one-up the other on content. Stern gets like $100 million a year or some outrageous number. If anything, those contracts will be the downfall of Sirius/XM as we know it.

If they do end up going under though, I'd imagine someone will buy up the infrastructure for pennies on the dollar, and we'd have a new satellite radio provider...
Image Image

Burny Charles
Spaminator

Re: News

Post by Burny Charles »

Bwana Paul wrote:I think this guys arguments are a bit weak.
I agree. His best argument for the end of satellite radio is on the financial side of it and the fact that it is not free. All of his other points are kind of stupid. They're all based on evolving digital technology to listen to your own music. "First there were records, then cassettes and CDs", radio survived through all of these.