Today...(LONG)

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Randy1278
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood, the day, the location...
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Golden Marg, no salt, double lime

Today...(LONG)

Post by Randy1278 »

Moderators, I apologize if this is not where it needs to be and please move it if you have to, but after reading what I did the last 10 minutes in various spots on the board, it looks like I was not in the minority again this morning. I think this is a serious problem and should be on the main discussion page. Let me explain....(Before you move on, I should make it clear that I was only trying to get 2 tickets to the Detroit Show. My wife and have had some tough times the last 3 months, each losing a grandfather, and we wanted to get REALLY, REALLY close this time. We wanted first 10 rows or nothing. We have seen 25 shows and never been closer than 10th and I will put my fanhood up against anyone else's so don’t flame me about being too picky.)

I "drew" the lucky first spot in line at my local ticketmaster outlet this morning and had 2 cellphones with 2 different ticketmaster numbers ready to go. A friend was also with me with 2 phones and 2 different numbers. My lovely wife was at home with 2 other phone numbers and the internet.

When the time approached, all 6 lines were busy and the internet took 3 minuets to process her request. Being first in line, the best tickets were available were 25th row in the left section. After my wife finally got through on the net, it said that nothing was available but directed her toward ticketsnow for "premium tickets". WTF is that? What kind of fascist company is ticketmaster to do this? Isn't gauging the consumer for "finders fees" and "surcharges" and all that other $h*t enough?

Know, I fully understand how the scalpers, ERRRRRRRRRR, brokers get theirs early. Season ticket holders for each venue contact them ahead of time and post them early before they go on sale to the general public.

After I walked away from the counter swearing at ticketmaster the next person in line didn't want the pavilion seats that were pulled up for me. Instead they wanted 2 lawn seats. So by the time Cleatus resets the search, no tickets were available.

So the show sold out in 3 minutes? Every single outlet that we tried was busy or sold out? WTF is this "premium tickets available through scalpersRus" BS?

I understand that Jimmy has nothing to do with the ticket process, but the man will slap his name on everything else under the sun, why not a ticket company? Why should REAL fans be relegated to pay huge mark ups on every seat in the house?

So where do I, or we (the rest of the people who are shut out and don't want to refinance their house to see a show this year) go from here? While I would like to write a letter to CORPORATE HQ to let them know of the clusterF*** this was not only for me but everyone else, but what good is that going to do?

I would love to hear serious suggestions about what we, his REAL fans, can do about this.

Again, mods I am sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I think I am speaking on behalf of a lot of frustrated fans out there.

Randy
I think I'll take my shoes off and go walking
Down beside the Caribbean Sea. . .

Palm Trees and views I can't believe
Why would I ever want to leave?
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Re: Today...(LONG)

Post by phjrsaunt »

It's fine to post this here, Randy. I'm truly sorry you had a bad experience. :( I'm sorry, but I have no experience to draw on so can't offer any suggestions.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 56

Post by aeroparrot »

There is pretty much nothing much you can do other than wait until the day of the concert gets nearer. Usually, there's more tickets released then when the band and others involved use up their allotments and there are free tickets available.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

SunLover
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: The next show I capture
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SunLover »

I have a feeling that this year, it's gonna be harder to get tickets. There are too many different place to get them. We've always had Ticketmeister, but now we have Live Nation as well as a Ticketmeister redirect to some scalper site under their own branding. I don't believe I should have to pay over face value, other than the usual junk fees (convenience charges, venue fees, etc). Face value on reserved seats alone is running around $140 or so. After junk fees, you can easily drop $160 per ticket! I saw lawn seats on that scalper site going for up to $100!!! That's ridiculous...

I'm sorry, but I can't spend around $500 each (or more) for me and a phriend to see Jimmy. That's one whole paycheck!! Don't get me wrong; I love to go his shows, but I gotta set some limits.

For those who tried to get tickets today, I gotta wonder if you were able to get in...

Just my 1/4 byte...
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I think TicketMaster and Live Nation should give a test to every potential purchaser. That way we'll be sure only "REAL" fans get the tickets.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

LIPH wrote:I think TicketMaster and Live Nation should give a test to every potential purchaser. That way we'll be sure only "REAL" fans get the tickets.
If they did, I probably wouldn't have gotten in to my first show.....
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
sarabismom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: How could you choose??
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by sarabismom »

I understand the frustration about the tickets today. I was one of 9 standing in a ticketmaster line this morning in a -7 degree temp with wind chill. (I was the second in line) The wonderful employee would not let us wait inside until 15 min prior to tickets going on sale. Since there were more that two people waiting, the raffel began to see where you got to get into line. I went from second in line to next to last. However I can't complain to much, as the woman who had been in front of me and was the first one there ended up the last in line. The ticketmaster employee then told us that to get tickets that they just punched up "best available" and that's what you got. Never mind that everyone in line wanted lawn seats. We were able to change her mind and she decided to get us lawn seats "just this once". Well the clock struck 10 and within 3 min the show was sold out. Only the first two people in line got tickets.
Now, when I had gotten bumped to next to last in line and thinking that my odds of getting tickets there were not so good, I called a friend at home who attempted to get them on line. He had gotten on at 1000, ticketmaster was sold out but they forwarded him to "tickets now" where the $37 tickets, that had just sold out, could now be purchased for $94.
I have always been lucky in getting tickets in the past when they went on sale and thought that it just wasn't that hard. Now I know what everyone here had been talking about for the past few years. There has to be a better way. Anyway, congrats to all who prevailed over ticketmaster this morning.
diverg
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of Son of A Sailor
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by diverg »

I think a lot of the scalpers this year are going to take a bath on tickets. The economy is not going to support the mark up this year. heck I seem to recall reading stuff on the boards last year about getting good tickets long after they went on sale.
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

LIPH wrote:I think TicketMaster and Live Nation should give a test to every potential purchaser. That way we'll be sure only "REAL" fans get the tickets.
When I used to go in person to a Ticketmaster outlet, there was a broker who would pick up about a dozen people, pay them $20 each and have them get a lottery number. One time, one of the kids he paid got the first number, and the ticketmaster person asked her to name a Buffett song other than Margaritaville or CIP-she couldn't do it, and was not allowed to be the first purchaser!
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
If they did, I probably wouldn't have gotten in to my first show.....
But there wasn't anywhere near the idiocy at your first show like there was yesterday.
Tickets were available, and anyone who wanted them pretty much got them without much problem.
I'm guessing your first show was sometime in the mid or late 1980's, right?
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

Like the rest of you, each year I pick the concerts dates I'd like to go to, then play the dreaded TM/Live Nation "lottery" online on the release dates.....only once in the last 5 years have I actually purchased "real" tickets from TM/Live Nation. Usually in about 5-10 minutes I get the dreaded "sold out" message, I curse a few times, swear I won't go to any more JB concerts, but eventually I wind up buying tickets from brokers.....I'm sure I'll now be branded by some as being part of the problem. :o

However; I simply live too far away from any of JB's now usual annual venues to risk driving 2-3 hours the day of the show and hope to find tickets for my group. I know many of you do this routinely with great success, but I like knowing I have tickets in hand before the show date with a room reservation confirmed.

That said, I am somewhat surprised that, given the state of the current economy, the first few concert ticket sales have shown the normal level of buying activity. I guess that the brokers are once again counting on the fact the Parrotheads will cut out many other family expenses to fund their concert going habits....... :pirate:

So, since most of the East Coast dates are later in the year, I plan to monitor the broker ticket sites for prices/availability as these earlier dates approach. That may be my best predictor of whether I go and how much I'll pay for tickets to this year's tour.....
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
HockeyParrotHead
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by HockeyParrotHead »

Nothing to add, the TM/LN system is pretty bad for sure. While I dislike scalpers as much as anyone, they exist in every form of commerce, and the TM/LN system does very little to discourage it. Scalping is the ultimate form of capitalism....a scalper takes the risk of getting stuck, and often do. If the supply exceeds the perceived demand, the price comes down. As the perception approaches reality, the market adjusts. Right now, the perception is that tickets are scarce and difficult to get, so the "market" price is high. If the tickets don't move as the date approaches, the price will come down. Another factor, especially in a weak economy, is that more tickets always come available as the show approaches and poeple with them elect to sell, or the venue releases more. In my expereince, patience is a virtue if you're unlucky at the initial release. I have seen people pay way less than face at several venues, particularly Lakewood, as actual show time approaches. Also, you can ALWAYS find a newb or two who pass out and their friends sell their tickets since said newb isn't making it into the show.

I'll say one other thing. I have no idea why Jimmy doesn't use the distribution model that Dave Matthews uses. His fan base has first dibs on tix through his on-line fan club far in advance of pulic availability. You get an open order period ahead of public sale and sign up. You never know how many tix the fan club has (but I have never been denied, nor do I know anyone personally who has been denied). After the open order period closes, you get a confirmation of your order. Then, probably depending on overall demand and other factors affecting the supply side of scalping, you may or may not find out the exact location of your seats ahead of time. About a week before the show, your tickets arrive. Now, DMB tix are certainly scalped like allothers, but this system seems to limit it far more than the TM/LN way, the result being the scalpers have fewer and the public (both the fan club base and the general public) have an easier time of planning ahead and getting tickets. The other added benefit is the enormous perception among the DMB fan base that the band truly cares about its fans first - and we all know JB's taken a hit or three on that front in the last few years. They use all the same venues each summer, so there's no reason JB couldn't do this. Anyway, I like both, and DMB's way certainly works better. Nowhere near the grumbling among DMB fans about ticket procedures.
If you're going to do nothing at least do it at the beach!
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

Randy-sure hope you two are planning to come back to Chicago :D :D :D
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Y-NO-9-O
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 60
Location: Wish I was: 24:33:38.905N 81:48:22.910W (but getting closer)

Post by Y-NO-9-O »

HockeyParrotHead wrote:I have no idea why Jimmy doesn't use the distribution model that Dave Matthews uses. His fan base has first dibs on tix through his on-line fan club far in advance of pulic availability.
When I was in an officially sanctioned (PHiP) Parrot Head club, we did get the opportunity to receive a block of tickets for club members. Usually the demand was high so the more meetings/functions/volunteering you did, the more points you would have when the final number of tickets was allotted to your group. This discouraged the "I want to join the club just to get tickets" people. So, JB does (or at least used to) have this sort of arrangement with the his fan clubs.
Bottom line, join a sanctioned club in your area, go to meetings, volunteer and you too can enjoy the benefits of first dibs. If there isn't a club in your area, start one. IMO first dibs shouldn't come just because you signed up on a website like Margaritaville.com. Maybe Jimmy feels that way too. I don't know, I'm just guessing.
Randy1278

Post by Randy1278 »

ejr wrote:
When I used to go in person to a Ticketmaster outlet, there was a broker who would pick up about a dozen people, pay them $20 each and have them get a lottery number. One time, one of the kids he paid got the first number, and the ticketmaster person asked her to name a Buffett song other than Margaritaville or CIP-she couldn't do it, and was not allowed to be the first purchaser!

God I love you Ellen!

Randy1278

Post by Randy1278 »

ejr wrote:Randy-sure hope you two are planning to come back to Chicago :D :D :D
Not sure yet Ellen. We would love to because we had a blast with all of you guys last year, but like I said above, this is the year that we want to get inside the first 10. I told Mrs. Randy1278 that I really didn't care what show we did it for, but this was the goal this year. The list includes, Detroit, Cincy, Chicago, Masnfield, Alpine or even Vegas (Like she would let me go back to Vegas!).

Where ever we go, I want the tailgate to be like it was with you guys last year. Mrs. Randy1278 is pushing for Chicago, but we both wanted to go somewhere new. Boston came to mind first and now that he is playing Great Woods and not Gillette, that is a possibility. It really all depends on how the ticket buying purchase goes.

I cannot and will not pay a gazziliion dollars to finally see a show from the front 10. I should be clear, its not like I would be dropping a duce if we scored ninth row seats. I would be happy, but then I would eventually want first 5.

Based on the sound at last year's show in Chicago, if we are not in the first 20 or so on the floor, or the first 2 sections on the side, I don't think we would come. Speaking of Chicago, is Mac going to do another show this year?

It has been a tough last few months for us. She lost her first grandfather and last week I lost my last one. With my school and her work and other things we have going on, we were going to treat ourselves this year to a longer trip than usual. We went to Key West for my birthday and went WAY, WAY, WAY over budget.

Good to hear from you again!

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

Randy-so sorry to hear about your losses :cry: :cry:

Really hope you come back to Chicago for at least one of the shows (hint, hint-one is my birthday, and the other has a Cubs game the day before). Don't know about Mac yet-I would think there will be a show, but it will be a while before we know for sure, and which show it would be (if it isn't both).

And hopefully it will be just as great a group as last year--I've already reached out to candyman about planning out the food.

And maybe we can find a way to at least have a drink in Toledo-I am going to be busy with the convention, but it would be sad to be there and not see you two!
jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

Y-NO-9-O wrote:
HockeyParrotHead wrote:I have no idea why Jimmy doesn't use the distribution model that Dave Matthews uses. His fan base has first dibs on tix through his on-line fan club far in advance of pulic availability.
When I was in an officially sanctioned (PHiP) Parrot Head club, we did get the opportunity to receive a block of tickets for club members. Usually the demand was high so the more meetings/functions/volunteering you did, the more points you would have when the final number of tickets was allotted to your group. This discouraged the "I want to join the club just to get tickets" people. So, JB does (or at least used to) have this sort of arrangement with the his fan clubs.
Bottom line, join a sanctioned club in your area, go to meetings, volunteer and you too can enjoy the benefits of first dibs. If there isn't a club in your area, start one. IMO first dibs shouldn't come just because you signed up on a website like Margaritaville.com. Maybe Jimmy feels that way too. I don't know, I'm just guessing.
I'll echo what Y-NO said. The Metro PHC has always been pretty good about getting the members that become and stay involved with the club tickets. They're not ever awesome seats, but always better than nosebleeds. Even in 2007, when it was clear that he was skipping Jones Beach, and didn't announce shows at MSG and Mohegan Sun until much later in the year, the Metro PHC was great about getting us tickets to shows outside of NY. I think the deal was that you could request tickets to either Great Woods, Camden, or AC, but if he announced local shows, you're SOL (which he did). That way not everyone clamored for the earlier shows, and those that did didn't have an unfair advantage by getting tickets to two shows through the club.

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar
NorthernConch
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by NorthernConch »

I always ask myself why jimmy never did an inhouse ticket sales team like the grateful dead & phish. Over the years i have used the grateful deads mail order system (open to everyone, just follow the rules set forth) and never had an issue, never received "bad" seats, never had a complaint.

that system worked great and it was mostly true fans that used it. No scapler would take the time or energy to get them, they knew of multiple orders for the same city, and if you didnt get tickets they always let you know well before the onsale date. This system is still being used for members other bands.

Donated a kidney - 12/7/06