Looked Strange To Me

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Re: Looked Strange To Me

Post by ph4ever »

UAHparrothead wrote:Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder what would happen if we treated each other with the same awe and respect that we do (or should do) our flag.
there would be a rift in the space time continumium and life as we know it would cease :roll: :lol: [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Post by UAHparrothead »

ph4ever wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote:Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder what would happen if we treated each other with the same awe and respect that we do (or should do) our flag.
there would be a rift in the space time continumium and life as we know it would cease :roll: :lol: [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
Kinda like crossing the streams :lol:
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

UAHparrothead wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
Kinda like crossing the streams :lol:
exactly - DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!!!! It could be very bad.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
miphinz
Gypsies in the palace
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by miphinz »

JustDucky wrote:Oh I see. Since I mentioned tomtatoes from Mexico suddenly mammabear wants to help me move to some real estate in Mexico?

How typically AMERICAN of you! And obviously you are holding on to a property in another country for outsourcing! Why you are so patriotic it's astounding!

Great. Tell you what. I'll stay where I live and support my local farmers and grocers and tax base while you and the rest of you flag wavers can have your out of season - not local - huge carbon footprint tomatoes (and a lot of other out of season fruits) that have no taste from Mexico and California and various other south of the border countries.

This whining about the national anthem is very entertaining. And then the usual over inflated typical American hubris that goes with it. I observe the national anthem when I want to. Why it's done at EVERY sports event I'll never understand.

How many of you drive vehicles made in the US? How many of you buy Made In The USA products ONLY? I bet the response to the first question is no one actually knows and the second is none. Want to encourage China to continue buying this country? Keep going to Wal-Mart.

And just for the record, the pledge of allegiance? Yeah - I leave the 'god' part out. Because that's how it was written. Then again, I haven't said it since I was a kid. I guess that makes me a terrorist.

Supporting your local business is more patriotic than where you put your hat or your hand for the national anthem - because supporting local businesses is reality. Support our troops? By buying a magnet? That's not support. That's chest thumping.

This whole thing reminds me of the morons who said Why should we help New Orleans after Katrina when those very people are the ones that would go to, of all places, Bourbon Street and have a good time (supposedly) and most likely throw their trash and vomit and p*** all over the place. It reeks of the usual American double standard.

And another thing - members of my family are retired military. So just stifle.

You're a clown, the fact the members of your family are retired military means nothing to myself and others who have actually served. I'd love for you to meet some of my military boys, they would have a field day with your, never mind.
I know I dont get there often enough but god knows I surely try
baadbobby
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 11

Post by baadbobby »

Salukulady wrote:
green1 wrote:
Dutch Harbor PH wrote:I grew up on a navy base...... we stood to the national anthem at the beginning of movies at the theater, if you were in ear shot of the admin building at 1600 and you could hear taps, you stopped stood at attention and turned to the flag......

It irritates me at the ball park when people keep on yacking away....
We took the family to the local 4th of July parade. At the beginning was a color guard made up of reps from each of the services carrying the service colors as well as the national colors. As they got to within about 10 yards, people all around me, and across the street started standing up, took off their hats, and even nudged their neighbors and kids to do the same. As the colors passed they sat back down. What surprised me, was that each time another color guard passed, the same thing happened. I stopped counting at 14.

So, it's not dead in this country. Respect is still being taught to the next generation. It was heartening, it really was.
Very cool.....I know these seem like silly small gestures to some of you, but showing respect is never out of style.
The same exact thing happened at my local parade. While not everyone stood, the majority did, and I immediately thought about this thread.
Bwana Paul
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 200

Post by Bwana Paul »

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
Bwana Paul wrote:Well, with that said...Freedom also means taking off or not taking off your hat while performing on the ukulele in front of a mostly drunken crowd.

Too often freedom is reserved only for popular things...just remember freedom extends to things that people dislike.

I may not like it that there are people who worship the Devil, but in America they have that right.

Again, it was a mistake.
No, it wasn't. If you read the entire thread you'd see that it has been pointed out several times that musicians are not required to remove their hats. That's not something most people know, but we were educated about it and several other things thoughout this thread. It was a valid concern, and now we know.
I did read the thread and did note that performing musicians are not reqjuired to remove their headgear. Thanks for checking in and providing the great summary.
Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

I like you, miphinz. You are always welcome at my tailgate party.
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

If a person takes his hat off, how do you know he or she is not thinking about adult videos?

Can you ask him, then yell at him for the lack of respect? Or is the diversion of him taking the hat off good enough to give you comfort he is faking respect but not thinking it? Something I think about during the moment of silence. You know that moment. The time we treat the dead better then the living.
Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

moog wrote:If a person takes his hat off, how do you know he or she is not thinking about adult videos?

Can you ask him, then yell at him for the lack of respect? Or is the diversion of him taking the hat off good enough to give you comfort he is faking respect but not thinking it? Something I think about during the moment of silence. You know that moment. The time we treat the dead better then the living.
I don't care what he's thinking. I am appreciative of their respect for that moment. For the same reason when I'm in the company of people who pray, I drop my head in respect of their religion or beliefs. Whether or not I believe the same, I can still show them the respect and consideration I would expect from them. If I was in Japan at an official function and their customs dictate I walk three paces behind my husband, I would have absolutely no problem conforming. When in Rome....
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

Hey look, I'm poking fun at the behavior here. I don't care what the person next to me is doing. I worry about myself.
I do not do the sign of the cross when I visit a Catholic Church. Seems phony if I do. For some reason though, I'll rise, kneel, sit, rise, kneel with the rest of the sheep. Well, sometimes I'll sit when others kneel. How do they know if my back hurts or not? If I was in Japan, then I would learn their custom because I don't won't to get beat up. Which would make me a phony, for the sake of my health. Although here you can get beat up too if your beliefs don't match the bullies.

When I am at a public assembly and the National Anthem plays, I do the hand over the heart thing. Why? Because this country alllows me to make that choice of doing it. Sadly, it seems we the people don't allow the choice. Based on the last nine pages.

At one MSG concert there was this loud mouth yelling at people to stand when the video of Jake playing the "Star Spangled Banner" appeared. I don't know what was more disrespectful. The people sitting or the idiot yelling during the entire three minutes. I chose the so called patriot yelling.

Worry about thyself, not what thy neighbor is doing. Keep your hand on your chest, or just sit with your hands on your lap until the song is over. It doesn't bother me. Just don't talk or use your cell phone.
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

"I grew up on a navy base...... we stood to the national anthem at the beginning of movies at the theater, if you were in ear shot of the admin building at 1600 and you could hear taps, you stopped stood at attention and turned to the flag......"

I didn't grow up on a base but I started work at a naval shipyard a loooong time ago. When it was time for colors everything stopped, even the cars. We turned toward the flag and removed cover even if it was a hard hat. The flag may not have been visible but we faced it and waited for the music to end before moving. Colors came at the same time as the morning work whistle so there was no excuse to miss it. If we were already aboard a vessel we stopped work until pipes. If we were on deck when the captain was piped aboard we stopped.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Right Now --> La Vie Dansante (It changes often)
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan & Coke

Post by MrTwain »

triste037 wrote:The Manfield show opened with the National Anthem which was a great touch. But the tradition when the National Anthem plays is for men to take off their hats. All those around me in the arena did. But the musician on stage playing it, Shimabukuro, had a hat on.
When I was young and in the army, I sang in an all-army choir at some local events. We sang the national anthem with our hats on.

I wouldn't make such a mountain out of this. It's not even a mole-hill.
There's no Dumbass Vaccine
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Bathroom breaks now allowed durnig God Bless America...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530 ... latestnews
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

Yea, but isn't that what the Seventh Inning Stretch was for?

Move God Bless America to the start of the game or use a different song for the stretch so no muscle head gets offended.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

moog wrote:Yea, but isn't that what the Seventh Inning Stretch was for?

Move God Bless America to the start of the game or use a different song for the stretch so no muscle head gets offended.
Dump it entirely. Just because someone sang it at a ballgame shortly after 9/11 doesn't mean it should be as much a baseball tradition as hot dogs, Cracker Jack, and booing the umpire.

Irving Berlin was a great writer and it's a fine song, but IMNSHO it's not appropriate for a baseball game. If you *must* sing a patriotic song during the 7th-inning stretch, make it "America" ('My country 'tis of thee', etc.) or "America the Beautiful". Heck, even "Yankee Doodle" would fit the mood of a baseball game better than what is essentially a prayer set to music.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
jedivet
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: VooDoo

Post by jedivet »

Bwana Paul wrote:
Too often freedom is reserved only for popular things...just remember freedom extends to things that people dislike.
Exactly.
...I come down to talk to me...when the coast is clear...
jedivet
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: VooDoo

Post by jedivet »

MrTwain wrote:
triste037 wrote:The Manfield show opened with the National Anthem which was a great touch. But the tradition when the National Anthem plays is for men to take off their hats. All those around me in the arena did. But the musician on stage playing it, Shimabukuro, had a hat on.
When I was young and in the army, I sang in an all-army choir at some local events. We sang the national anthem with our hats on.

I wouldn't make such a mountain out of this. It's not even a mole-hill.
Nope. Most molehills I know would dwarf this!
...I come down to talk to me...when the coast is clear...