Looked Strange To Me

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Re: Looked Strange To Me

Post by Hockey Mon »

1. Where did the removing of the hat come from? What is the history behind it? I'm sure there is a story and someone will google it and point me to a wikipedia link within 5 minutes.
2. I disklike the hat thing. But, what I hate more, it people clapping/cheering/yelling before the anthem is OVER. It ends at "brave". It doesn't end at "free", "home" or "the". I was never in the military but when I saw my Navy friends stand straight at attention during the whole anthem before hockey games, it really made me realize how they are trained and what the flag means to them. It sort of stuck with me. Just my $.02. [smilie=pimp.gif]
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

This is not a big deal. Y'all are getting upset over someone wearing A HAT?

What, has this place turned into a church?

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

It's the law to remove ones hat and place their right hand over their heart:

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/36C3.txt

-HEAD-
Sec. 301. National anthem

-STATUTE-

(a) Designation. - The composition consisting of the words and
music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing. - During a rendition of the national
anthem -
(1) when the flag is displayed -
(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at
attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with
their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder,
the hand being over the heart; and
(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at
the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until
the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face
toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the
flag were displayed.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

JustDucky wrote:This is not a big deal. Y'all are getting upset over someone wearing A HAT?

What, has this place turned into a church?
I'm ex-military and take the anthem seriously, but wasn't offended by Jake doing it because he's on stage and it's part of his "uniform".
ImageImage

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Well, for some people, the national anthem is a drag. Like tomatoes from Mexico in December.

MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

JustDucky wrote:Well, for some people, the national anthem is a drag. Like tomatoes from Mexico in December.
The national anthem is a DRAG?? May I show you some real estate in Mexico...I'll help you move!

Hubby is former military (as many on BN are)..your statement is offensive as they served with pride and continue to carry that pride with them on a daily basis.

As for the hat thingee....I will not comment on someone on stage as I really don't know the protocol. I would hope he is a professional and, having done this many times, would not set out to offend anyone.

However, I have been to many professional sporting events where men and boys do not remove their hats. I turned around at a Phillies game and smacked my 10 year old nephew in the head..I told him to remove his hat and he gave me the strangest look. My 15 year old son gets highly offended when people do not remove their hats (as do I) because he has been taught that the flag represents all of us and the sacrifices made by the military, including his father. By not removing their hats, they are personally insulting his father..............

As far as a restaurant, my husband and my son are gentlemen and do remove their hats..no questions asked. the keet used to question and say that guy over there has his hat on. My response was always the same...guess his mother did not teach him manners as a child. This is not nitpicking on the small things it is simply common courtesy and manners.

Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

MammaBear wrote:
JustDucky wrote:Well, for some people, the national anthem is a drag. Like tomatoes from Mexico in December.
The national anthem is a DRAG?? May I show you some real estate in Mexico...I'll help you move!

Hubby is former military (as many on BN are)..your statement is offensive as they served with pride and continue to carry that pride with them on a daily basis.

As for the hat thingee....I will not comment on someone on stage as I really don't know the protocol. I would hope he is a professional and, having done this many times, would not set out to offend anyone.

However, I have been to many professional sporting events where men and boys do not remove their hats. I turned around at a Phillies game and smacked my 10 year old nephew in the head..I told him to remove his hat and he gave me the strangest look. My 15 year old son gets highly offended when people do not remove their hats (as do I) because he has been taught that the flag represents all of us and the sacrifices made by the military, including his father. By not removing their hats, they are personally insulting his father..............

As far as a restaurant, my husband and my son are gentlemen and do remove their hats..no questions asked. the keet used to question and say that guy over there has his hat on. My response was always the same...guess his mother did not teach him manners as a child. This is not nitpicking on the small things it is simply common courtesy and manners.
Well stated, MammaBear.

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Salukulady wrote:
MammaBear wrote:

Well stated, MammaBear.
yep....

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

Hockey Mon wrote:1. Where did the removing of the hat come from? What is the history behind it? I'm sure there is a story and someone will google it and point me to a wikipedia link within 5 minutes.
2. I disklike the hat thing. But, what I hate more, it people clapping/cheering/yelling before the anthem is OVER. It ends at "brave". It doesn't end at "free", "home" or "the". I was never in the military but when I saw my Navy friends stand straight at attention during the whole anthem before hockey games, it really made me realize how they are trained and what the flag means to them. It sort of stuck with me. Just my $.02. [smilie=pimp.gif]
If you ever get the chance, go to an Army/Navy football game. Played either in Philly at the Link or in the Meadowlands. It is the only sporting event I have ever attended where there is silence untilt the anthem is completed. Not to mention over 99% (I am sure there are one or two jackasses in the crowd) of the crowd and all of the players are standing straight and have their hands over their hearts, or are at attention and saluting.

Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

green1 wrote:
Hockey Mon wrote:1. Where did the removing of the hat come from? What is the history behind it? I'm sure there is a story and someone will google it and point me to a wikipedia link within 5 minutes.
If you ever get the chance, go to an Army/Navy football game. Played either in Philly at the Link or in the Meadowlands. It is the only sporting event I have ever attended where there is silence untilt the anthem is completed. Not to mention over 99% (I am sure there are one or two jackasses in the crowd) of the crowd and all of the players are standing straight and have their hands over their hearts, or are at attention and saluting.
That would be a really cool and surreal experience.

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

ph4ever wrote:
Salukulady wrote:
MammaBear wrote:
Well stated, MammaBear.
yep....
Another yep.....

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Hockey Mon »

green1 wrote:
Yeah. That would be cool. Heck, a game, any game, out at the Naval Academy, would have some of that.
Army/Navy schedule:
2009 Philadelphia-x
2010 Philadelphia-x
2011 Landover-y
2012 Philadelphia-x
2013 Philadelphia-x
2014 Baltimore-z
2015 Philadelphia-x
2016 Baltimore-z
2017 Philadelphia-x
x-Lincoln Financial Field
y-FedEx Field
z-M&T Bank Stadium

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

ph4ever wrote:It's the law to remove ones hat and place their right hand over their heart:

-HEAD-

-STATUTE-

anthem -
the last note; and

flag were displayed.
Aren't these guidelines for "PATRIOTIC AND NATIONAL OBSERVANCES, CEREMONIES, AND ORGANIZATIONS"? It's important to be respectful but I don't think these apply to sporting events, concerts, etc. In any case, Jake did a fabulous job with the anthem and showed his respect by pouring his heart into it. I was not offended by the hat at all, in fact, it didn't even occur to me.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

Hockey Mon wrote:
green1 wrote:
Yeah. That would be cool. Heck, a game, any game, out at the Naval Academy, would have some of that.
Army/Navy schedule:
2009 Philadelphia-x
2010 Philadelphia-x
2011 Landover-y
2012 Philadelphia-x
2013 Philadelphia-x
2014 Baltimore-z
2015 Philadelphia-x
2016 Baltimore-z
2017 Philadelphia-x
x-Lincoln Financial Field
y-FedEx Field
z-M&T Bank Stadium
Last December i bought army/navy tix from stub hub ($$$$$) for hubby, myself, keet and a friend. The night before the game, I started with a stomach virus (yes...the 24 hour type). i watched the game from the comfort of my powder room. Talk about disappointing!!

I saw George W looking for me in the crowd. Then at half time, he must have realized he was on the wrong side and that my tickets would be on the Navy side so he walked across the field and looked for me there.... [smilie=battingeyes.gif] 8)

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

MammaBear wrote:I saw George W looking for me in the crowd. Then at half time, he must have realized he was on the wrong side and that my tickets would be on the Navy side so he walked across the field and looked for me there.... [smilie=battingeyes.gif] 8)
The wrong side? But if he was on the wrong side, then he would have already been on the Navy side.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the extent to which my smack talking goes given the derth or Army wins over the last 5 (or is it 6) seasons?

MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

green1 wrote:
MammaBear wrote:I saw George W looking for me in the crowd. Then at half time, he must have realized he was on the wrong side and that my tickets would be on the Navy side so he walked across the field and looked for me there.... [smilie=battingeyes.gif] 8)
The wrong side? But if he was on the wrong side, then he would have already been on the Navy side.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the extent to which my smack talking goes given the derth or Army wins over the last 5 (or is it 6) seasons?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :P 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

lime rickie wrote:
ph4ever wrote:It's the law to remove ones hat and place their right hand over their heart:

-HEAD-

-STATUTE-

anthem -
the last note; and

flag were displayed.
Aren't these guidelines for "PATRIOTIC AND NATIONAL OBSERVANCES, CEREMONIES, AND ORGANIZATIONS"? It's important to be respectful but I don't think these apply to sporting events, concerts, etc. In any case, Jake did a fabulous job with the anthem and showed his respect by pouring his heart into it. I was not offended by the hat at all, in fact, it didn't even occur to me.
Wouldn't you consider that playing the National Anthem anywhere a patrriotic observance?

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Hockey Mon »

MammaBear wrote:
green1 wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :P 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Well, you had the early 90's... I was curious so I looked up the series leader. It is Navy at 53–49–7. After 109 games, that's pretty close. It must be neat to part of such a long and storied tradition.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

ph4ever wrote:
lime rickie wrote:

-HEAD-

-STATUTE-

anthem -
the last note; and

flag were displayed.
Wouldn't you consider that playing the National Anthem anywhere a patrriotic observance?
Like I said, it's important to be respectful but I don't think these were published for things like sporting events and concerts. These seem directed at formal ceremonies and thing like that. I could be wrong. Heck, I never heard about placing your hand on your heart for the anthem, I thought that was just a pledge thing.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

lime rickie wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
lime rickie wrote:

-HEAD-

-STATUTE-

anthem -
the last note; and

flag were displayed.
Like I said, it's important to be respectful but I don't think these were published for things like sporting events and concerts. These seem directed at formal ceremonies and thing like that. I could be wrong. Heck, I never heard about placing your hand on your heart for the anthem, I thought that was just a pledge thing.
Considering there's an absence of "rules" for sporting events, concerts etc mentioned anywhere that I've found including http://www.usflag.org/ I think it would be safe to assume the rules are for anywhere. That's the way I was taught.