Looked Strange To Me

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

gingerbreadman
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Looked Strange To Me

Post by gingerbreadman »

tryin' to reason wrote:It didn't bother me.

The people who continue to talk or walk during the anthem bother me a LOT more !!

(Yes, I DID remove my hat.)
Didn't remove my hat at the show because I didn't have a hat on!

I don't see why people are so negative about the hat thing for the band members!

Loving BN now... because it makes me feel SO GOOD that people can come up with so many negative things to say!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey Snake, we need more wine!

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

OH THANK GOD!!!! I've been missing these political threads, because you know things haven't been divisive enough around here lately. Here's what i think:

I'll do what i want.

Am i being disrespectful sometimes?

Maybe in your mind.

But do you know me?

Not well enough to tell me what i should and shouldn't do.

And those on this board who know me well enough to know anything about me, know me well enough that I'm not exactly conventional.

I'm not saying I don't remove my hat for the National Anthem. (I'm not even saying I don't stand up in a bar or restaurant or wherever when it's playing.)

I'm saying it's no one else's place to question what I believe and how I choose to honor those who have sacrificed themselves in ways I could never imagine.

And I don't believe my father is actually in the graveyard anymore than I believe that all the dead soldiers are in the right field bleachers of Yankee Stadium.

My father is where i loved him, and those soldiers are where they lived and ultimately died, and if anyone thinks a day goes by where i don't think about both of them, then I refer you to my earlier post: But do you know me? Not well enough to tell me what i should and shouldn't do.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

alphabits
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by alphabits »

popcornjack wrote:OH THANK GOD!!!! I've been missing these political threads, because you know things haven't been divisive enough around here lately. Here's what i think:

I'll do what i want.

Am i being disrespectful sometimes?

Maybe in your mind.

But do you know me?

Not well enough to tell me what i should and shouldn't do.

And those on this board who know me well enough to know anything about me, know me well enough that I'm not exactly conventional.

I'm not saying I don't remove my hat for the National Anthem. (I'm not even saying I don't stand up in a bar or restaurant or wherever when it's playing.)

I'm saying it's no one else's place to question what I believe and how I choose to honor those who have sacrificed themselves in ways I could never imagine.

And I don't believe my father is actually in the graveyard anymore than I believe that all the dead soldiers are in the right field bleachers of Yankee Stadium.

My father is where i loved him, and those soldiers are where they lived and ultimately died, and if anyone thinks a day goes by where i don't think about both of them, then I refer you to my earlier post: But do you know me? Not well enough to tell me what i should and shouldn't do.
What color is your hat?

popcornjack
Changing Channels

Post by popcornjack »

It's silver. the color of my dad's dog tags that i wear around my neck. :wink:

magnus & Mr Moon
Behind Door #3

Post by magnus & Mr Moon »

Damb good thing I am an "autumn" and look good in Jail Jump Suit Orange....since I guess I broke a number of laws by not removing my hat or putting my hand on my heart during this song on Saturday.
:-?

Suffice to say - it was awesome and I was mesmorized by the beauty and emotion of it all I forgot the protocal and rules. MEA CULPA. :oops:

Who is going to visit me in jail?
And raccoons brought wine and the mice they brought cheese...

alphabits
God's Own Drunk

Post by alphabits »

popcornjack wrote:It's silver. the color of my dad's dog tags that i wear around my neck. :wink:
Ah crap, I got nuthin'. You're one of a kind, Jack (what kind, I have NO idea) ..... must be why I like you so much. :D

popcornjack
Changing Channels

Post by popcornjack »

alphabits wrote:
popcornjack wrote:It's silver. the color of my dad's dog tags that i wear around my neck. :wink:
Ah crap, I got nuthin'. You're one of a kind, Jack (what kind, I have NO idea) ..... must be why I like you so much. :D
That's just the beer talking. :wink: :wink:

alphabits
God's Own Drunk

Post by alphabits »

popcornjack wrote:
alphabits wrote:
That's just the beer talking. :wink: :wink:
Not from me ..... it's all diet Wild Cherry Pepsi and Peanut M&M's (I make sure to eat equal quantities of red and blue ones).

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

magnus & Mr Moon wrote:Damb good thing I am an "autumn" and look good in Jail Jump Suit Orange....since I guess I broke a number of laws by not removing my hat or putting my hand on my heart during this song on Saturday.
:-?

Suffice to say - it was awesome and I was mesmorized by the beauty and emotion of it all I forgot the protocal and rules. MEA CULPA. :oops:

Who is going to visit me in jail?
Are cakes with files in them still practical? :lol: :lol: What if your jump suit is zebra striped? Or blue? :wink:

I'm willing to bet that you weren't the only one who forgot, for whatever reason. :wink:

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MammaBear wrote:As far as a restaurant, my husband and my son are gentlemen and do remove their hats..no questions asked. the keet used to question and say that guy over there has his hat on. My response was always the same...guess his mother did not teach him manners as a child. This is not nitpicking on the small things it is simply common courtesy and manners.
Thank you, MammaBear. You said pretty much the same thing I did; just a little nicer.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

My family went out to Cracker Barrel the other day for dinner.
Both my uncle and my dad were wearing ball caps and I thought of this thread but there was a big dead bass hanging on the wall right next to us so I figure they get a pass :lol:
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3

Post by Migration Michelle »

I have to say that I am about as conservative and traditional as they come.

I firmly believe in standing, removing your hat, and putting your hand over your heart during the National Anthem.
My children attend and participate in many sporting events and are required, either by their coaches or by myself, to respect the Star Spangled Banner and salute the flag.

My husband still holds the door for me, helps me with my coat, etc...all things a gentleman would do. And I am teaching my son to do the same.

That being said, I was at this concert and I didn't even notice Jake was wearing a hat! It wasn't until about 1 minute or so into the performance that I even realized what he was playing. He and Robert sounded so good, I was just enjoying the performance. Then, I said to my friend, "Oh, this is the Star Spangled Banner!" At which point, I placed my hand over my heart.

Had they made a proclamation that this was the Star Spangled Banner and had a flag on the stage, I could see being upset about hats, etc. Even if this was a regular tradition at the concerts. But this time, the whole performance was very unexpected and came and went very quickly.

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

MammaBear wrote:You know, for the cr*p being discussed here.......

Jake's version of the National Anthem brought me and the hubby to tears a few years ago, hat or no hat....... I believe the President of the United States does not need to prove his/her allegiance to the US. If the National Anthem does not move you, then my suggestion is that you move to a country whose anthem does.
O Canada, our home and native land...

Give me a spoon, I'm gonna stir the pot...I actually think Canada's anthem is easier to sing. Not as many high notes. Excuse me while I don my flame retartent Hawaiian shirt...
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

sonofabeach wrote:My family went out to Cracker Barrel the other day for dinner.
Both my uncle and my dad were wearing ball caps and I thought of this thread but there was a big dead bass hanging on the wall right next to us so I figure they get a pass :lol:
Did the bass sing?
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

ph4ever wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:My family went out to Cracker Barrel the other day for dinner.
Did the bass sing?
it sang the national anthem and the stuffed raccoon did not even put his hand over heart :lol:
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

ph4ever wrote:
Did the bass sing?
Could you blend it in the Bass-o-matic? SNL, Dan Aykroyd, anyone?
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

sonofabeach wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
Did the bass sing?
it sang the national anthem and the stuffed raccoon did not even put his hand over heart :lol:
That's it!!! I'm writing a complaint letter to Cracker Barrel's corporate office!! :lol: :lol:

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Hockey Mon wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
Did the bass sing?
Could you blend it in the Bass-o-matic? SNL, Dan Aykroyd, anyone?

mmmmmmmmm protein :D

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

Migration Michelle wrote:Had they made a proclamation that this was the Star Spangled Banner and had a flag on the stage, I could see being upset about hats, etc. Even if this was a regular tradition at the concerts. But this time, the whole performance was very unexpected and came and went very quickly.
That's a very interesting point. Perhaps if Jake or anyone is going to perform this song, it should be in the proper context that this is The National Anthem, and thus it should be properly respected.

Otherwise it risks becoming just The Star Spangled Banner, a song that is bunched with Hot, Hot, Hot as a bit of prequel musical entertainment to a Jimmy Buffett concert ..... and I'm not sure that's how Jimmy, Jake or any of us want the song to be recognized.

p.s. Jimi Hendrix usually wore a headband/bandanna whenever he performed his version.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

Phins1026
Here We Are

Post by Phins1026 »

So who's going to start the thread about Jimmy not being patriotic for leaving the US during the Independence Day holiday? :roll:

We sure do have a lot to drink about don't we? :wink: