Buffet Hotel

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

labatt1876
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 13

Re: Buffet Hotel

Post by labatt1876 »

I am glad the others are finally starting to share my opinion of Buffet Hotel. I think it is really good and have been listening to it often since it was released

ParrotHeadInThe Making
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Tides
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: The drink that is in my hand

Post by ParrotHeadInThe Making »

I'm in the process of getting rid of the extra person living on me, and I ride my exercise bike every day. I know Buffet Hotel is good when I can ride my bike to that album and not stop to check my timer to see if I am almost done pedaling.
Liz Ulrich and guide dog Princess Hope
http://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.ulrich1

Here we are, maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do
It's the child in us we really value
Here we are, with our fins up and our feathers flashing
Here we are, with our coconut shell brassieres chanting

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

ParrotHeadInThe Making wrote:Cruzinparrots--I love your review. I totally agree with you about this album. The more I listen to it the more I love it. I applaud Jimmy for thinking outside the box and not being stuck in the past when he could easily just go through the motions. I hope that as I get older that I will take a cue from Jimmy, not be too set in my ways musically, and have an open mind about trying new things and listening to new things.
Well said..... [smilie=coolup.gif]

Like many of JB's more recent albums I find that I need to listen to it several times over to form an opinion. "Buffet Hotel" has been no exception, but it has grown on me and I do enjoy the majority of the songs.

How many musicians today, especially those on their 60s that are even still producing new albums, dare to change their known style? True, many Parrotheads wish he would remain true to his "island roots", but that's just not Jimmy......he continues to innovate musically and I, for one, hope he keeps on experimenting! :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

SeattleParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

I was flying home from the Bay area and we were at 30 thousand feet, just skimming over the top of the heavy cloud cover, and I was listening to Buffet Hotel on my Zune. I suppose the 3 Bloody Marys had something to do with it, but I sat there watching the clouds go by and listened to ‘Learned to be Cool’ and ‘Call Now’ over and over again and they were almost hypnotic (even melancholy).... Like others have noted, the more I listen to BH, the more I like it.
‘A Lot to Drink About’ is probably my least favorite... every time I hear with JB say “welcome to the other side of life” I think "yeah, right..." :-?
ImageImage

I know the voices aren't real but sometimes they have really good ideas...
SPH

RainTree
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by RainTree »

I really like this CD. The songs I was not instantly crazy about are now becoming easy listening. "Wings" is my hands down favorite. "Rhumba Man" makes my knees weak and heart pound. And I really like his vocals on the slower songs. The only song I don't like is "We have a lot to drink about". Hope that more people find this gem of a CD. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Listened to it again today on my way to/from an early February bicycle ride in Iowa.
It does grow on you — although I still think "Life's Short- Call Now" is the weakest song on the disc.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

HurricaneSeason
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 299

Post by HurricaneSeason »

I've been playing it and I have yet to still think Under The Big Top is a good song - it just sounds like average filler (with more fins in it, of course). But Nobody From Nowhere is pretty damn good, and of course so is Beautiful Swimmers, We Learned To Be Cool and Life Short are fantastic.

Chill The Rose is still the worst!

I think this album will be one of those that just grows on ya, like how Hot Water or Floridays was when those came out - a little different from what you might expect or want to hear.

Although I tried that with Lizard and, aside from the songs being pretty good, their delivery is still a bit...let's just say not in line with how the Coral Reefers sound.

MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Right Now --> La Vie Dansante (It changes often)
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan & Coke

Post by MrTwain »

I know I'm late getting in on this thread, but oh well.

My biggest complaint?

WHERE IS THE GD STEEL DRUM?

Poor Robert G was totally left out of this whole project, it seems like.

The CD overall is "ok", probably on par with "Beach House on The Moon" in my opinion.

I like a few of the songs pretty well, but overall, it really left me feeling dry.
There's no Dumbass Vaccine

smokindave
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Rocky Racoon w/ Peter Mayer
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Tuscan Lemonade

Post by smokindave »

When Jimmy was recording "Crossroads" he made the comment I have an album out now but it will probably be dead by the time this show airs....but......I don't think so...you do have to listen to it a few times and as described above if the atmosphere is right....itsa helluva CD
Yes a few what if he did this but there are no remakes....fillers...(in my opinion) they're mostly written by Jimmy or his close friends...its not another run at the Nashville crowd or overly commercial at all...Its a great CD that grows on you like most of Jimmys albums...
Remember "Margaritaville" was never a #1 song...hmmmmmmm.... :lol:

HurricaneSeason

Personally, he needs to release his albums when the weather is warming up because this winter has sucked big time. I'll start playing it more, I'm quite sure, when it finally warms up.

Hopefully he'll play more songs from the album when the tour starts. As long as he keeps recording new albums, he might as well keep playing the new songs. And more of them. As good as Fruitcakes was, he hardly touched it. Same for Barometer Soup and Banana Wind.

And sometimes he seems to ignore the really good songs that would seem so obvious to play live.

MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by MrTwain »

HurricaneSeason wrote:Personally, he needs to release his albums when the weather is warming up because this winter has sucked big time. I'll start playing it more, I'm quite sure, when it finally warms up.

Hopefully he'll play more songs from the album when the tour starts. As long as he keeps recording new albums, he might as well keep playing the new songs. And more of them. As good as Fruitcakes was, he hardly touched it. Same for Barometer Soup and Banana Wind.

And sometimes he seems to ignore the really good songs that would seem so obvious to play live.
Man, you're not kidding about releasing the albums in early Spring or so.

I do like the songs, however, I'm standing on my prior statement... MORE STEEL DRUMS, PLEASE!

Was Robert G even on the continent when this album was recorded? Just too sad if you asked me.

spartan1979
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: IPA

Post by spartan1979 »

I've listened to this CD a couple of times. It's not growing on me. There's nothing on here that I really want to hear again.

tgr8one
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Happily Ever After (every now and then)
Number of Concerts: 4
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita Rocks W/salt

Post by tgr8one »

Goodness, there's a lot of negativity about the Buffet Hotel. It reminds me of the review of License to Chill and most everyone was all in a bunch about him doing a little rap in LTC.
This new cd has an old school sound to a bit of it. Steel Drums? We don't need no stinking Steel Drums!
Plenty early albums didn't have steel drums.

Love 'Beautiful Swimmers"
just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy...
ImageImageImage

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Upon further reflection and as a guy who used to rock the mic back in the day (stop laughing),
I think his rap on "Turn Up The Heat And Chill The Rose" is a bit too robotic/sterotypical and crammed full of words.
His little rap on "Overkill" seemed to flow much smoother.
Musically "Turn Up The Heat" is great with Robert's pans and the whole reggae vibe.
The background singing and chorus is great. I wonder how it would have been had Jimmy sang something instead.
Still I like it but just about every non-parrothead that I've let hear it laughs out loud or has an "oh how the mighty have fallen" look on their face.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by MrTwain »

tgr8one wrote:Steel Drums? We don't need no stinking Steel Drums!
[in my best Christopher Walken voice...]

Forget the cowbell! I have a fever, and the only cure is more steel drums!

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

spartan1979 wrote:I've listened to this CD a couple of times. It's not growing on me. There's nothing on here that I really want to hear again.
Wow, the songs have grown on me, and i like the CD....a lot! Beautiful Swimmers is amazing, as is Nobody from nowhere. I also really like Rhumba man, although I admit I prefer the live versions from the Summerzcool tour that has steel drums. "I learned to be Cool from you" brings tears to my eyes each time I hear it, as it brings back memories of my childhood and my parents teaching me of rock-n-roll, of pop culture, and molding me into who I am today.
Yeah, this is a good CD.
ImageImage

HurricaneSeason

During the day yesterday while working I kept humming the lines of Hey there Mr Mustache, that melody.

That song has grown. It's done growing with me. It's in there, way up in the chart. Hell, I even hum Summerzcool. Not sure why people don't like that tune. It's just a simple tune that's funny and talks about the beach.

The steel drums - I noticed they weren't there to begin with but now I don't notice that they aren't there. Sort of like listening to A1A or any of the 1970s albums. Not saying I don't like them being gone... I just don't mind the music without them.

Islandcat
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: banana daiquiris

Post by Islandcat »

I've listened to the album almost EVERY day for the last few months.... in my humble opinion, this is Bubba's best album since Barometer Soup..... well done, Senor Buffett......

Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

I love it, but I"ve misplaced my copy somewhere..... :(

HurricaneSeason

For me License To Chill is still the best album he's done in years, although Fruitcakes still stands very tall. This one will take a little more time to find a place among the rest. If this album didn't have Turn Up The Heat it would already be a much higher placed album...