Memories

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Post Reply
rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1870
Joined: November 25, 2009 6:49 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice
Location: In the center of Normal

Memories

Post by rmissbrook »

In my on-going quest to get up to speed on Jimmy's career I am listening to a fairly decent recording of a concert recorded in March, 1980 in New York. It's on Jokelben. It apparently was broadcast on a radio station that night. Anyway, it makes for some very interesting listening, especially on some of the standards. It's good background for some us "newbies" and will probably be somewhat nostalgic for you long time phans.

http://buffett.jokelben.us/1980.03.14%2 ... Palladium/
Image

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

Image

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1870
Joined: November 25, 2009 6:49 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice
Location: In the center of Normal

Re: Memories

Post by rmissbrook »

So tonight I am back, looking for another concert to listen to and I notice that there is another New York concert on the same date as the one below but a year later. The date on this one is 3-14-1981. Interesting coincidence I think and I start to listen to it. I think it is the same one as the one dated 3-14-1980. It appears that the one dated 1980 is an abbreviated version and the one dated 1981 is the complete version. See what you think.

http://buffett.jokelben.us/1981.03.14%2 ... 20Fins.mp3
Image

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

Image

Pirate Lookin' at 40
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Posts: 346
Joined: March 21, 2004 7:20 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Clinton, Tennessee - GO VOLS!!!

Re: Memories

Post by Pirate Lookin' at 40 »

So you're a "newbie" huh? It's cool that you're listening to these shows. I hate when some Buffett fans stop at "songs you know by heart", and don't bother going back and listening to anything else. There is so much great music to discover here. Sometimes I wish I was just getting into JB again, so that I could discover some of my favorite songs all over again. Sometimes I'll listen to a CD and discover a song that I've heard over and over but never realized how good of a song it was.
"And when I die you can bury me beneath these Western Skies”

-Western Skies, Chris LeDoux 1948-2005

Rest in peace cowboy, a job well done.

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1870
Joined: November 25, 2009 6:49 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice
Location: In the center of Normal

Re: Memories

Post by rmissbrook »

I just find it fascinating at the differences in the ways Jimmy sings a song over the years.
Sometimes there is virtually no difference and in others there is a lot of difference. For instance, the way he sang APLA40 live in the 1980 concert is very different than the way he sings it live now. The version that he did on Crossroads is much more similar to the early version. I do understand why there is a difference in the way he sings songs when he is performing live in front of 25,000 people versus in a small venue or on a record. I wish he had taped some of the smaller shows like the benefit concerts in Long Island or Palm Beach or the Freddie and the Fishstick shows in Aspen or the show for his mother's 80th birthday. What a treat it would be to see him interacting with the audience and doing songs live that most of us will never get the chance to see. There is a video of the 2000 Sag Harbor show on another forum. It is not the best in the world but it gives you some idea of how he works with a small audience.
Image

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

Image

conched
Last Man Standing
Posts: 31386
Joined: June 26, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: Memories

Post by conched »

That 1980 Palladium Show reminds me of the YOU HAD TO BE THERE record. I always try to picture who is playing in the band when I listen to those old shows since I just became a fan in 1994, it's all kinda new to me. The only old Coral Reefer I really heard play with Jimmy was Fingers, although Tim Krekel played with Jimmy at a few shows I went to in the 90s. It's always fun hearing the band intros.

EDIT...and of course Michael Utley has always been a Coral Reefer since their beginning in 1975. From the BUFFETTNEWS TIMELINE:

*1975: During the Summer of 1975 the Coral Reefer Band went out on the road with Jimmy Buffett marking their first tour together. The band included Roger Bartlett, Greg “Fingers” Taylor, Harry Dailey, and Phillip Fajardo.

For that Palladium show Sammy Creason was on drums and Barry Chance on lead guitar. Anyway, it appears that THAT Palladium show WAS in 1980 instead of 1981.
Last edited by conched on April 17, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conched
Last Man Standing
Posts: 31386
Joined: June 26, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: Memories

Post by conched »

rmissbrook wrote:So tonight I am back, looking for another concert to listen to and I notice that there is another New York concert on the same date as the one below but a year later. The date on this one is 3-14-1981. Interesting coincidence I think and I start to listen to it. I think it is the same one as the one dated 3-14-1980. It appears that the one dated 1980 is an abbreviated version and the one dated 1981 is the complete version. See what you think.

http://buffett.jokelben.us/1981.03.14%2 ... 20Fins.mp3
http://buffett.jokelben.us/1981.03.14%2 ... Palladium/

Better link to the 1981 show. I have not listened to it to compare yet.
It was fun listening to the 1980 show. Jimmy pointed out that his band had celebrated their 5th Anniversary together on March 5 and the show was on the 13th. It was great to hear all those Volcano songs.

Kay, it always helps if you put the [url] TAGS around a link so the link opens in a new window. ;)

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1870
Joined: November 25, 2009 6:49 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice
Location: In the center of Normal

Re: Memories

Post by rmissbrook »

conched wrote:
rmissbrook wrote:So tonight I am back, looking for another concert to listen to and I notice that there is another New York concert on the same date as the one below but a year later. The date on this one is 3-14-1981. Interesting coincidence I think and I start to listen to it. I think it is the same one as the one dated 3-14-1980. It appears that the one dated 1980 is an abbreviated version and the one dated 1981 is the complete version. See what you think.

http://buffett.jokelben.us/1981.03.14%2 ... 20Fins.mp3
http://buffett.jokelben.us/1981.03.14%2 ... Palladium/

Better link to the 1981 show. I have not listened to it to compare yet.
It was fun listening to the 1980 show. Jimmy pointed out that his band had celebrated their 5th Anniversary together on March 5 and the show was on the 13th. It was great to hear all those Volcano songs.

Kay, it always helps if you put the [url] TAGS around a link so the link opens in a new window. ;)
Thanks, Nancy. Will do. But I still think the 1980 show and the 1981 show are the same thing. In the 1981 link after the "show" is over there is a bunch of miscellaneus stuff like the two or three songs with JJW.
Image

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

Image

PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette
Posts: 56196
Joined: June 16, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Someplace Warm :-)
Contact:

Re: Memories

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

rmissbrook wrote:I just find it fascinating at the differences in the ways Jimmy sings a song over the years.
Sometimes there is virtually no difference and in others there is a lot of difference. For instance, the way he sang APLA40 live in the 1980 concert is very different than the way he sings it live now. The version that he did on Crossroads is much more similar to the early version. I do understand why there is a difference in the way he sings songs when he is performing live in front of 25,000 people versus in a small venue or on a record. I wish he had taped some of the smaller shows like the benefit concerts in Long Island or Palm Beach or the Freddie and the Fishstick shows in Aspen or the show for his mother's 80th birthday. What a treat it would be to see him interacting with the audience and doing songs live that most of us will never get the chance to see. There is a video of the 2000 Sag Harbor show on another forum. It is not the best in the world but it gives you some idea of how he works with a small audience.
They're out there [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

conched
Last Man Standing
Posts: 31386
Joined: June 26, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: Memories

Post by conched »

I think Kay meant VIDEO taped. [smilie=battingeyes.gif] Does that mean there are videos OUT THERE?

I'm going to listen to that show labeled 1981 now too.

Just loving Dreamsicle, Sending The Old Man Home, Chanson Pour Les, Survive...

conched
Last Man Standing
Posts: 31386
Joined: June 26, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: Memories

Post by conched »

Yep, you are right, Kay. That 3-14-81 show on the database is just a mess up and probably based on that show that is mislabeled for 1981.

phjim, needs to take that date off the database.

PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette
Posts: 56196
Joined: June 16, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Someplace Warm :-)
Contact:

Re: Memories

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

conched wrote:I think Kay meant VIDEO taped. [smilie=battingeyes.gif] Does that mean there are videos OUT THERE?

I'm going to listen to that show labeled 1981 now too.

Just loving Dreamsicle, Sending The Old Man Home, Chanson Pour Les, Survive...
Whoops - sorry to get hopes up - I was referring to CD's :oops: :oops:

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1870
Joined: November 25, 2009 6:49 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice
Location: In the center of Normal

Re: Memories

Post by rmissbrook »

conched wrote:I think Kay meant VIDEO taped. [smilie=battingeyes.gif] Does that mean there are videos OUT THERE?

I'm going to listen to that show labeled 1981 now too.

Just loving Dreamsicle, Sending The Old Man Home, Chanson Pour Les, Survive...
Yes, sorry for the confusion. I did mean Videoed. Of course at the time of some of the shows it would have been on VHS. But even so it would be nice to have.
Image

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

Image

Post Reply