Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

LI BANANA REPUBLICS
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 28
Joined: April 24, 2007 11:41 pm

Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by LI BANANA REPUBLICS »

Jimmy, let's continue the help for our Gulf Coast friends. Record this concert on CD and DVD and we can raise more money to help the people affected by this oil spill. We can reach more fans who would like to help but can't attend. This is going to be a long term cleanup so the continued sales of the CD / DVD will continue the Gulf coast help effort way beyond the one day concert. The sales for this CD / DVD would be off the wall and a great fund raiser for the Gulf Coast!
You did a CD /DVD of the Anguilla concert. That concert was to benefit the Anguilla Tennis Academy, the Stingray Band, and the Anguilla Community Foundation. Anguilla benefited tremendously from the concert with a big economic boost.
Put the pedal to the metal and get this concert recorded for the people of the Gulf. You have a week to get the pieces in place to repeat the Anguilla magic and really make an positive impact for our Gulf Coast. This free concert will be great but will not generate one dollar for Gulf relief. Think of the dollars this CD / DVD will raise if you release it for the holidays.
Can anyone get this idea directly to Jimmy?
One Love, One Ocean!
[/b]

Whodat81
I have found me a home
Posts: 164
Joined: May 8, 2008 9:47 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Bloody Mary
Location: Sportsman's Paradise

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Whodat81 »

just throwing this out there - A portion of the show will air live on CMT from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Not sure how much money would be generated from a dvd when people can tape this bit of the show

And also im sure that donations and beer/vendor sales would go to the gulf coast
You Can't Take It With You When You Go
- Allman Brothers

parrotheadmike
Gypsies in the palace
Posts: 499
Joined: February 6, 2002 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: The City
Number of Concerts: 58
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything and everything
Location: Chicago

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by parrotheadmike »

I would love to see a CD and/or DVD put out. But to say that the concert brings no real relief to people of the gulf isn't true. Hotel, bar/restaurant, shop owners are pretty happy about the 35,000+ people who will be in the region on the first.
Parrotheadmike
"Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare, I've got to fly to St. Somewhere"

Wildh2oskier
If we weren't all crazy ...
Posts: 545
Joined: February 9, 2008 6:43 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: There is no way to pick just one.
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with whiskey in it
Location: Central Alabama, center of the state middle of nowhere

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Wildh2oskier »

I wouldn't be surprised to see this come to pass.

capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Posts: 787
Joined: April 2, 2010 12:09 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos
Location: Southeast of Disorder

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by capnbobby »

I think the idea of a CD/DVD is a good idea. I also think it's completely up to Jimmy, not us, to make that decision. There is nothing easier than spending someone else's money, and it's presumptuous to suggest that an artist produce a CD/DVD for charity.

To say that the free Gulf coast concert isn't going to raise one dollar for Gulf relief is, in my opinion, inaccurate. A certain number of people are going to travel to the Gulf for the show. They are going to stay in hotels and spend money in restaurants, bars, and shops. That will assist people directly impacted by this human-made disaster. Furthermore, this free concert that will be carried on CMT will draw attention to or keep attention on this human-made disaster, which is what we need to do until it is cleaned up and we figure out how to prevent it from ever happening again.

Jimmy is an entertainer. It isn't his responsibility to fix the Gulf spill. I admire him and his friends for playing a FREE concert that will provide the region with a little economic stimulus and keep the spotlight on what is happening in the Gulf of Mexico. Personally, I will just say thank you and leave it at that.

capnbobby

onthebeach
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: June 23, 2010 5:34 pm
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by onthebeach »

Someone needs to go on e-bay and protest the selling of Jimmy Buffet tickets.

Here's my problem with the situation.

Ticket masters were offering them for free and they went in less than 10 minutes. 35,000 of them!The first seven people in line got 4 tickets! Humdreds waited in line for 5 hours this morning!
People here are p***!

Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
according to the 3 TV news channelsTicketmaster also got bucks for providing the tickets.
These tickets are now being sold on e-bay, 4 for $600.00 All of this does nothing to help the unemployed and business owners. Do they think that people are going to spend $100,000 on food and booze in one night?
FYI
Kenny Loggins and the Doobie Brothers are giving a real free concert this weekend,10 miles east of gulf shores ..
Guess what?????
No one needs tickets to get in!!!!!!!!!!
Time to boycott e-bay and ticketmaster for try to get their money crubbing mitts on relief funds.Maybe Jimmy and friends should give back their windfall also. According to J-oil Buffet's web site they had no bookings for the whole month of July. Let me know if your going to do this, as you will here about it on the news.
Got lots of oil on the beaches here.
Com'on down and slide in!!!!

pietaster
I have found me a home
Posts: 107
Joined: May 8, 2010 9:25 pm
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by pietaster »

onthebeach wrote:Someone needs to go on e-bay and protest the selling of Jimmy Buffet tickets.
You went to the trouble of joining this site to b**** and moan. Did you go on eBay to protest?
onthebeach wrote:Here's my problem with the situation.

Ticket masters were offering them for free and they went in less than 10 minutes. 35,000 of them!The first seven people in line got 4 tickets! Humdreds waited in line for 5 hours this morning!
People here are p***!

Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
according to the 3 TV news channelsTicketmaster also got bucks for providing the tickets.
These tickets are now being sold on e-bay, 4 for $600.00 All of this does nothing to help the unemployed and business owners. Do they think that people are going to spend $100,000 on food and booze in one night?
If there are going to be 35,000 people there, actually, yes, I do expect people to spend $100,000 in one night. That works out to less than $3.00/person. Do the math.
onthebeach wrote:FYI
Kenny Loggins and the Doobie Brothers are giving a real free concert this weekend,10 miles east of gulf shores ..
Guess what?????
No one needs tickets to get in!!!!!!!!!!
So go to that one, your problem is solved.
onthebeach wrote:Time to boycott e-bay and ticketmaster for try to get their money crubbing mitts on relief funds.Maybe Jimmy and friends should give back their windfall also. According to J-oil Buffet's web site they had no bookings for the whole month of July. Let me know if your going to do this, as you will here about it on the news.
Got lots of oil on the beaches here.
Com'on down and slide in!!!!
It's "grubbing", not "crubbing" and "hear about it" not "here about it". :roll:

Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 10637
Joined: August 31, 2005 10:25 am
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde
Location: Defying Gravity
Contact:

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Dezdmona »

onthebeach wrote:Someone needs to go on e-bay and protest the selling of Jimmy Buffet tickets.
Done. eBay has pulled ALL auctions for these tickets.

As previously mentioned there's going to be a LOT of money pouring into the region because of this show.
The hotels are booked up and down the beach. From what I'm hearing the closest place you can get a room is Pensacola...maybe.
There are gonna be lots of folks eating in restaurants, and bringing their money to local businesses next week.
That's a serious economic shot in the arm.

While I would love to see a DVD for this show, I'm not holding my breath.
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog

Wildh2oskier
If we weren't all crazy ...
Posts: 545
Joined: February 9, 2008 6:43 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: There is no way to pick just one.
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with whiskey in it
Location: Central Alabama, center of the state middle of nowhere

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Wildh2oskier »

There are not that many hotels down there. Its a condo town. Also the Governor of Alabama Bob Riley contacted e-bay and informed them about this. For once I can say "Thanks Bob". Craigslist is having the tickets reported as spam as quick as they are posted. So it looks like the scalpers are taking it on the chin on this one Yayyyyy scalpers losing money.
I'm still saying come on down, the show is going to be an open (no ticket needed)event. Just wait and see.

The only question is what do I put in place of it in my ticket stub collection?

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3872
Joined: January 22, 2007 12:05 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Migration Michelle »

onthebeach wrote: Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
according to the 3 TV news channelsTicketmaster also got bucks for providing the tickets.
These tickets are now being sold on e-bay, 4 for $600.00 All of this does nothing to help the unemployed and business owners. Do they think that people are going to spend $100,000 on food and booze in one night?
Is this post a joke? How did you manage to turn an incredibly generous and great idea/concert into a way that Jimmy can make "big bucks"? You have got to be kidding me.

First of all, $100,000 to anyone that makes as much as Jimmy does is not "Big Bucks"...but you wouldn't understand that. Secondly, do you have ANY idea how much it costs Jimmy to take his crew of 58 and all of his equipment to a city to do a show? He has to cover airfare and lodging for ALL of them. This is not a way for Jimmy to make money in the least and for you to insinuate that is just plain stupid.

This is where Jimmy is from and he is trying to bring money to the area. Most hotels are collecting at least $200 per night from the people flocking to see this show...not to mention all the money they will make from food, souvenirs, rental cars, shuttle services and repeat business.

These entertainers are not making dime. On the contrary, they are paying "big bucks" to do this show. Shame on you and whatever media is trying to turn this into something other than plain care and generosity. It makes me sick to think about what this world has become.

Thank you again Jimmy and Friends for an incredible idea and concert! :D Our Gulf Coast really needs and appreciates your efforts!

NancyinLAL
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 5
Joined: June 23, 2010 7:28 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 27

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by NancyinLAL »

We live in Fairhope,AL-about 30 minutes from Gulf Shores- and I've yet to find anyone down here who was able to get tickets. We have a LOT of really P'd off Lower Alabamians right now.
For a local update go to Fox10TV.com ( Mobile,AL Fox station) and read the comments.
The implied intent (at least down here) of the concert was to draw people and thier $ to the Gulf Coast to aid the local economy; now we are drawing a lot of negative publicity about the way ticket distribution was handled.
Hopefully, the City of Gulf SHores and/or The Hangout will come back with some sort of solution. If you have hotel/condo reservations I would hold on to them as long as possible.

MammaBear
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1539
Joined: February 29, 2008 11:14 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: North of Philly

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by MammaBear »

onthebeach wrote:Someone needs to go on e-bay and protest the selling of Jimmy Buffet tickets.

Here's my problem with the situation.

Ticket masters were offering them for free and they went in less than 10 minutes. 35,000 of them!The first seven people in line got 4 tickets! Humdreds waited in line for 5 hours this morning!
People here are p***!

Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
according to the 3 TV news channelsTicketmaster also got bucks for providing the tickets.
These tickets are now being sold on e-bay, 4 for $600.00 All of this does nothing to help the unemployed and business owners. Do they think that people are going to spend $100,000 on food and booze in one night?
FYI
Kenny Loggins and the Doobie Brothers are giving a real free concert this weekend,10 miles east of gulf shores ..
Guess what?????
No one needs tickets to get in!!!!!!!!!!
Time to boycott e-bay and ticketmaster for try to get their money crubbing mitts on relief funds.Maybe Jimmy and friends should give back their windfall also. According to J-oil Buffet's web site they had no bookings for the whole month of July. Let me know if your going to do this, as you will here about it on the news.
Got lots of oil on the beaches here.
Com'on down and slide in!!!!
Think you spelled Buffett incorrectly.....just sayin'...if you are going to make someone responsible for the economic survival of an entire region, you should at least be able to spell his name.
Last edited by MammaBear on June 23, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MammaBear
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1539
Joined: February 29, 2008 11:14 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: North of Philly

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by MammaBear »

NancyinLAL wrote:We live in Fairhope,AL-about 30 minutes from Gulf Shores- and I've yet to find anyone down here who was able to get tickets. We have a LOT of really P'd off Lower Alabamians right now.
For a local update go to Fox10TV.com ( Mobile,AL Fox station) and read the comments.
The implied intent (at least down here) of the concert was to draw people and thier $ to the Gulf Coast to aid the local economy; now we are drawing a lot of negative publicity about the way ticket distribution was handled.
Hopefully, the City of Gulf SHores and/or The Hangout will come back with some sort of solution. If you have hotel/condo reservations I would hold on to them as long as possible.
If the intent of the concert is to boost the local economy by drawing people to the area, wouldn't you want the "out of towners" to get the tickets? Not sure how much the local economy would benefit by someone driving 30 minutes, having a beer and drive the 30 minutes home....

If however, the intent of the concert is to boost the local "spirits", then by all means residents should have first shot. Unfortunatley, can't have it both ways.....

BGunn
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 34
Joined: August 5, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by BGunn »

As a huge Apple fan, I would like to see them step up and make the performance available on ITunes similar to what they've done during other charity performances. A CD/DVD is a great idea but ITunes moves music big time and they are a great avenue to move these performances and raise a boatload of money to those who need it most. Phuck BP and the politicians who serve big oil.

palmettopirate
I gotta go where it's warm
Posts: 665
Joined: May 18, 2005 11:06 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea
Location: Charleston SC

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by palmettopirate »

Look folks , here's the idea. And I talked to a lady at Kaiser Realty about this. The idea is to get people down there so they can see that the beaches are in pretty darned good shape. She said they do a cleanup of tar balls every morning "if needed'. At this point tourists are avoiding the area. This event will show vacationers that it's okay to come on down. It's not about the immediate stimulas as nice as that will be.

As far as contracting with Ticketmaster goes, how would you have handled it? You can't just say come on down or you'll have 500,000 people show up at the gate hoping to get 1 or 2 of 35,000 available spots. I don't think Gulf Shores could handle that and the riot that would follow.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 10210
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita
Location: Northwest Tennessee

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by citcat »

palmettopirate wrote:Look folks , here's the idea. And I talked to a lady at Kaiser Realty about this. The idea is to get people down there so they can see that the beaches are in pretty darned good shape. She said they do a cleanup of tar balls every morning "if needed'. At this point tourists are avoiding the area. This event will show vacationers that it's okay to come on down. It's not about the immediate stimulas as nice as that will be.

As far as contracting with Ticketmaster goes, how would you have handled it? You can't just say come on down or you'll have 500,000 people show up at the gate hoping to get 1 or 2 of 35,000 available spots. I don't think Gulf Shores could handle that and the riot that would follow.
There you go. Good post !
I despise all the know-nothings on the internet and other media spreading whatever they want without actually telling the truth.
I always take info spread by people with only a few posts on HERE with a grain of salt salt salt. :lol:
It doesn't mean that small-amount posters don't have the truth, it's just one part of several criteria I use to judge and trust the info. Just sayin'.
Image
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by RinglingRingling »

onthebeach wrote:Someone needs to go on e-bay and protest the selling of Jimmy Buffet tickets.

Here's my problem with the situation.

Ticket masters were offering them for free and they went in less than 10 minutes. 35,000 of them!The first seven people in line got 4 tickets! Humdreds waited in line for 5 hours this morning!
People here are p***!

Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
according to the 3 TV news channelsTicketmaster also got bucks for providing the tickets.
These tickets are now being sold on e-bay, 4 for $600.00 All of this does nothing to help the unemployed and business owners. Do they think that people are going to spend $100,000 on food and booze in one night?
FYI
Kenny Loggins and the Doobie Brothers are giving a real free concert this weekend,10 miles east of gulf shores ..
Guess what?????
No one needs tickets to get in!!!!!!!!!!
Time to boycott e-bay and ticketmaster for try to get their money crubbing mitts on relief funds.Maybe Jimmy and friends should give back their windfall also. According to J-oil Buffet's web site they had no bookings for the whole month of July. Let me know if your going to do this, as you will here about it on the news.
Got lots of oil on the beaches here.
Com'on down and slide in!!!!
ok... I had to laugh at that one. :)

palmettopirate
I gotta go where it's warm
Posts: 665
Joined: May 18, 2005 11:06 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea
Location: Charleston SC

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by palmettopirate »

citcat, check this out. http://xgulf.neofillbids.com/

Bid on the gulf.

This is a website created to encourage people to come to the gulf coast. I don't know if you've ever hear of Clear Channel Communications but they have a few radio stations in Charleston as well as the rest of the country. Well the stations have this deal called neofill. It's half-off deals for area restaurants, golf courses, and other attractions. So Clear Channel got on board with real estate rental agencies all over the gulf and started an auction. The auction prices for gulf condos will surely be lower than the usual rental prices. When you click on the link you'll notice "HOW IT WORKS" in large print. Click on that and you'll see Clear Channel's involvement. Now before the critics come out with complaints about Clear Channel making some money on this deal, so what, if it helps the rental industry in the gulf. This appears to be bonafide and not connected to scalping. I've used neofill several times in the past. Cheers.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by RinglingRingling »

Migration Michelle wrote:
onthebeach wrote: Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
according to the 3 TV news channelsTicketmaster also got bucks for providing the tickets.
These tickets are now being sold on e-bay, 4 for $600.00 All of this does nothing to help the unemployed and business owners. Do they think that people are going to spend $100,000 on food and booze in one night?
Is this post a joke? How did you manage to turn an incredibly generous and great idea/concert into a way that Jimmy can make "big bucks"? You have got to be kidding me.

First of all, $100,000 to anyone that makes as much as Jimmy does is not "Big Bucks"...but you wouldn't understand that. Secondly, do you have ANY idea how much it costs Jimmy to take his crew of 58 and all of his equipment to a city to do a show? He has to cover airfare and lodging for ALL of them. This is not a way for Jimmy to make money in the least and for you to insinuate that is just plain stupid.

This is where Jimmy is from and he is trying to bring money to the area. Most hotels are collecting at least $200 per night from the people flocking to see this show...not to mention all the money they will make from food, souvenirs, rental cars, shuttle services and repeat business.

These entertainers are not making dime. On the contrary, they are paying "big bucks" to do this show. Shame on you and whatever media is trying to turn this into something other than plain care and generosity. It makes me sick to think about what this world has become.

Thank you again Jimmy and Friends for an incredible idea and concert! :D Our Gulf Coast really needs and appreciates your efforts!
I think you're the one who doesn't understand. For someone spending 60+ hour weeks and living paycheck to paycheck, $100k for 2-3 hours work is big bucks even if it isn't their normal fee for a show. Try and show a little understanding, and recognition of perspective.

jmitrovich
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 10
Joined: June 2, 2004 5:20 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Atlanta

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by jmitrovich »

tell you what. I was one of the lucky few to get a couple tickets. Since they were free I am going to buy everything they are selling, but only if all the proceeds go directly to cleanup.
Looking at 40 way too soon !

Locked