Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

palmettopirate
I gotta go where it's warm
Posts: 665
Joined: May 18, 2005 11:06 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea
Location: Charleston SC

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by palmettopirate »

tell you what. I was one of the lucky few to get a couple tickets. Since they were free I am going to buy everything they are selling, but only if all the proceeds go directly to cleanup.

Were you lucky enough to get a reasonable place close by? Just curious.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1700
Joined: July 15, 2003 4:14 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by The Lost Manatee »

A concert DVD, much like the Concert for Bangladesh, has the long term potential of being a big money maker. First, not everyone has access to CMT. Second, CMT is only showing a portion of the show. Third, what happens when your cable or dish goes out in the middle of your taping. Fourth, extra features can be added to make it a better experience than what you got on your DVR or VHS.

Will this come to pass? I have no idea however I think that it would be a good thing, if it did.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3872
Joined: January 22, 2007 12:05 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Migration Michelle »

RinglingRingling wrote:
Migration Michelle wrote:
onthebeach wrote: Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
Is this post a joke? How did you manage to turn an incredibly generous and great idea/concert into a way that Jimmy can make "big bucks"? You have got to be kidding me.
First of all, $100,000 to anyone that makes as much as Jimmy does is not "Big Bucks"...but you wouldn't understand that. Secondly, do you have ANY idea how much it costs Jimmy to take his crew of 58 and all of his equipment to a city to do a show? He has to cover airfare and lodging for ALL of them. This is not a way for Jimmy to make money in the least and for you to insinuate that is just plain stupid.
This is where Jimmy is from and he is trying to bring money to the area. Most hotels are collecting at least $200 per night from the people flocking to see this show...not to mention all the money they will make from food, souvenirs, rental cars, shuttle services and repeat business.
These entertainers are not making dime. On the contrary, they are paying "big bucks" to do this show. Shame on you and whatever media is trying to turn this into something other than plain care and generosity. It makes me sick to think about what this world has become.
Thank you again Jimmy and Friends for an incredible idea and concert! :D Our Gulf Coast really needs and appreciates your efforts!
I think you're the one who doesn't understand. For someone spending 60+ hour weeks and living paycheck to paycheck, $100k for 2-3 hours work is big bucks even if it isn't their normal fee for a show. Try and show a little understanding, and recognition of perspective.
Taking the bait here from you again for some crazy reason...probably cause you are not happy unless you are causing trouble. Once again, you have managed to twist a comment completely around. I was defending the fact that Jimmy doesn't need $100,000 for this show...not belittling people who make that or less.

I was applauding the entertainers not insulting the fans. Give it a rest, Ringling. The person who made that post was being rude and you are just as rude for laughing at a twisted joke about sliding into the Gulf off the oily beaches. And you have the nerve to tell me to show a little understanding and perspective? Just because you have a lot of posts does not mean you can bully people. The number of posts you have doesn't intimidate me...because most of them are rude.

msu#1
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3409
Joined: February 23, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Where the weather fits my clothes- the Great lakes

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by msu#1 »

the newbie's in this thread are probably public relations people for BP trying to create fake Jimmy BACKLASH. go back to your holes and burning sea turtles out of the public camera's you sob's.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist

Reefdiver
I gotta go where it's warm
Posts: 601
Joined: April 22, 2002 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Reefdiver »

I'm not trying to start anything here but...........
If Buffett is being paid $100,000 for this show....and wants to actually do something positive for this tragedy ( and yes it is a tragedy- not only because of the unfixable damage to the Gulf coast, and the unknown number of animal deaths, and lost incomes of the residents....and THE 11 LIVES LOST....funny how no one seems to remember that fact ) then why is he accepting it at all? Yea, I know it costs a lot of money to haul/set up/tear down all the gear needed for a show, but it's not like he can't afford that cost.
I'm not knocking Buffett for doing this show, because I think it could be a great thing for the area, for a very limited time. What I am questioning is...if he is going to get $100,000 for it............why not donate it to the cause?
Before all the stones and burning arrows start flying my way I'd like to add.......I think it was a GREAT thing that he was trying to do with that boat company....trying to equip the boats to go out and save some of the wildlife...and if it's true that bp ( notice I refuse to capitalize those scumbags initials ) is indeed burning rare turtles that are trapped in the float lines...then I suggest we take the bp execs and expose them to the very same treatment.
Drill baby drill....naw...burn baby burn !!!
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it"

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
Image</a>

MammaBear
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1539
Joined: February 29, 2008 11:14 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: North of Philly

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by MammaBear »

jmitrovich wrote:tell you what. I was one of the lucky few to get a couple tickets. Since they were free I am going to buy everything they are selling, but only if all the proceeds go directly to cleanup.
I'll have a teeshirt please!!

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by RinglingRingling »

Migration Michelle wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
Migration Michelle wrote:
onthebeach wrote: Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
Is this post a joke? How did you manage to turn an incredibly generous and great idea/concert into a way that Jimmy can make "big bucks"? You have got to be kidding me.
First of all, $100,000 to anyone that makes as much as Jimmy does is not "Big Bucks"...but you wouldn't understand that. Secondly, do you have ANY idea how much it costs Jimmy to take his crew of 58 and all of his equipment to a city to do a show? He has to cover airfare and lodging for ALL of them. This is not a way for Jimmy to make money in the least and for you to insinuate that is just plain stupid.
This is where Jimmy is from and he is trying to bring money to the area. Most hotels are collecting at least $200 per night from the people flocking to see this show...not to mention all the money they will make from food, souvenirs, rental cars, shuttle services and repeat business.
These entertainers are not making dime. On the contrary, they are paying "big bucks" to do this show. Shame on you and whatever media is trying to turn this into something other than plain care and generosity. It makes me sick to think about what this world has become.
Thank you again Jimmy and Friends for an incredible idea and concert! :D Our Gulf Coast really needs and appreciates your efforts!
I think you're the one who doesn't understand. For someone spending 60+ hour weeks and living paycheck to paycheck, $100k for 2-3 hours work is big bucks even if it isn't their normal fee for a show. Try and show a little understanding, and recognition of perspective.
Taking the bait here from you again for some crazy reason...probably cause you are not happy unless you are causing trouble. Once again, you have managed to twist a comment completely around. I was defending the fact that Jimmy doesn't need $100,000 for this show...not belittling people who make that or less.

I was applauding the entertainers not insulting the fans. Give it a rest, Ringling. The person who made that post was being rude and you are just as rude for laughing at a twisted joke about sliding into the Gulf off the oily beaches. And you have the nerve to tell me to show a little understanding and perspective? Just because you have a lot of posts does not mean you can bully people. The number of posts you have doesn't intimidate me...because most of them are rude.
given you were the one condescending to the OP, and making the claim that $100k was not "big bucks", you again got caught out in one of your unempathetic miscues. As for being rude, I don't recall laughing at a joke about oily beaches? and my post count has nothing to do with the price of tea.

I call them like I see them, and sadly, with you, I don't see a lot of empathy; I see a lot of condescension and self-aggrandizing puffery. If you want to play the victim, yet again, go for it. Just remember that your act has come through town a few times, and it's not quite fresh. I might just be ahead of the curve on recognizing that.

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3872
Joined: January 22, 2007 12:05 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Migration Michelle »

RinglingRingling wrote:
Migration Michelle wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
Migration Michelle wrote:
onthebeach wrote: Jimmy and his buddies are getting paid big bucks to do this concert. $100,000 from the BP money given to Alabama. It was supposed to help the businesses that are going to go under cuz of the lack of summer terrorists.They are getting paid $100,000 to do the gig.
Is this post a joke? How did you manage to turn an incredibly generous and great idea/concert into a way that Jimmy can make "big bucks"? You have got to be kidding me.
First of all, $100,000 to anyone that makes as much as Jimmy does is not "Big Bucks"...but you wouldn't understand that. Thank you again Jimmy and Friends for an incredible idea and concert! :D Our Gulf Coast really needs and appreciates your efforts!
I think you're the one who doesn't understand. For someone spending 60+ hour weeks and living paycheck to paycheck, $100k for 2-3 hours work is big bucks even if it isn't their normal fee for a show. Try and show a little understanding, and recognition of perspective.
Taking the bait here from you again for some crazy reason...probably cause you are not happy unless you are causing trouble. Once again, you have managed to twist a comment completely around. I was defending the fact that Jimmy doesn't need $100,000 for this show...not belittling people who make that or less.

I was applauding the entertainers not insulting the fans. Give it a rest, Ringling. The person who made that post was being rude and you are just as rude for laughing at a twisted joke about sliding into the Gulf off the oily beaches. And you have the nerve to tell me to show a little understanding and perspective? Just because you have a lot of posts does not mean you can bully people. The number of posts you have doesn't intimidate me...because most of them are rude.
given you were the one condescending to the OP, and making the claim that $100k was not "big bucks", you again got caught out in one of your unempathetic miscues. As for being rude, I don't recall laughing at a joke about oily beaches? and my post count has nothing to do with the price of tea.

I call them like I see them, and sadly, with you, I don't see a lot of empathy; I see a lot of condescension and self-aggrandizing puffery. If you want to play the victim, yet again, go for it. Just remember that your act has come through town a few times, and it's not quite fresh. I might just be ahead of the curve on recognizing that.
What in the world are you talking about? You just LOVE creating problems.

First of all, $100,000 to anyone that makes as much as Jimmy does is not "Big Bucks"... is what I said...or would you like to take that out of context too?

Your other comments about me are out of line once again. I was defending Jimmy and his Friends for putting on a concert to benefit others on my Gulf Coast. My comments were directed to someone who was saying that Jimmy was taking $100,000 (which they considered big bucks) to do this show. I don't believe he is taking a dime. And if you actually read my statement, you would see that I was trying to defend how much money he is actually spending to do it...and that $100,000 wouldn't put a dent in the cost.

This person onthebeach showed up in a couple threads on a Buffett fansite with no previous posts to just say mean things and cause problems. I didn't intend to say anything to anyone but him/her. I wasn't here to cause problems...but you don't really know me so you don't know that.

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175588
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by SMLCHNG »

Image

PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3872
Joined: January 22, 2007 12:05 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Migration Michelle »

SMLCHNG wrote:Image

PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Penny, I was trying to be nice and defend Jimmy and the concert and then my words got taken out of context and my post got twisted.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by RinglingRingling »

Migration Michelle wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:Image

PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Penny, I was trying to be nice and defend Jimmy and the concert and then my words got taken out of context and my words got twisted.
no twisting.. no "out of context" just a straight-up read of the text. Nice victimhood wrap-job tho: "My Gulf Coast" and "I was trying to be nice...". Backpedalling and spinning is still back-pedalling. :)

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3872
Joined: January 22, 2007 12:05 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Migration Michelle »

RinglingRingling wrote:
Migration Michelle wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:Image

PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Penny, I was trying to be nice and defend Jimmy and the concert and then my words got taken out of context and my words got twisted.
no twisting.. no "out of context" just a straight-up read of the text. Nice victimhood wrap-job tho: "My Gulf Coast" and "I was trying to be nice...". Backpedalling and spinning is still back-pedalling. :)
I live on the Gulf Coast...and I was trying to be nice and defend Jimmy...which I alway do. Do you know how to be nice?

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by RinglingRingling »

Migration Michelle wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
Migration Michelle wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:Image

PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Penny, I was trying to be nice and defend Jimmy and the concert and then my words got taken out of context and my words got twisted.
no twisting.. no "out of context" just a straight-up read of the text. Nice victimhood wrap-job tho: "My Gulf Coast" and "I was trying to be nice...". Backpedalling and spinning is still back-pedalling. :)
I live on the Gulf Coast...and I was trying to be nice and defend Jimmy...which I alway do. Do you know how to be nice?
I am hellacious nice. I just don't do stuff for the recognition, and I don't pretend to suffer pretention. But if someone needs a hand with a problem, I am not a bad person to know.

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3872
Joined: January 22, 2007 12:05 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Migration Michelle »

And once again, Ringling, this is not about you or your trouble-making abilities. I am not back peddling anything. This is about a terrible situation that Jimmy and Friends are trying to help.

This is about the Gulf Coast, the desperate situation that the people and business owners are in there, the environment and wildlife in those regions, etc. Stop causing trouble for no reason to make this all about you.

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175588
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by SMLCHNG »

Oh good grief you two. Just stoppit. Please. Thank you. :roll: You're never gonna see eye to eye, you're never gonna agree, so just stop and let it go.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by RinglingRingling »

Migration Michelle wrote:And once again, Ringling, this is not about you or your trouble-making abilities. I am not back peddling anything. This is about a terrible situation that Jimmy and Friends are trying to help.

This is about the Gulf Coast, the desperate situation that the people and business owners are in there, the environment and wildlife in those regions, etc. Stop causing trouble for no reason to make this all about you.
I know it is not about me. It's about you. I am just answering your questions, correcting your misconceptions. and pointing out your miscues. It's all about you.

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3872
Joined: January 22, 2007 12:05 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Migration Michelle »

SMLCHNG wrote:Oh good grief you two. Just stoppit. Please. Thank you. :roll: You're never gonna see eye to eye, you're never gonna agree, so just stop and let it go.
I wasn't the one causing trouble, Penny. I was defending Jimmy and this is his fan site.

There is nothing to see eye to eye about here. I was trying to make a point about Jimmy not taking money for this show and he pulled words out of context and starting insulting me. Now tell Ringling to stop the harrassment....because we all know that he will keep it up all night long.

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175588
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by SMLCHNG »

I just don't care who said who/what/when/why and how. I asked both of you to just let it go.

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3872
Joined: January 22, 2007 12:05 am
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by Migration Michelle »

SMLCHNG wrote:I just don't care who said who/what/when/why and how. I asked both of you to just let it go.
But I think you should care. This is not an argument between two children when you weren't in the room.
Please re-read the posts and correct him for being out of line on his comments.

I don't know who is friends with Ringling or not but that is not the point here. The amount of time someone has been here, the number of posts, or the number of friends here should not be the deciding factor as to who gets reprimanded for something that is rude. As a matter of fact, if everyone here were really friends, this wouldn't happen at all.

I was defending Jimmy Buffett and his band and recording associates. I was NOT insulting anyone in ANY income bracket. My words were taken out of context and my post was twisted.

gingerbreadman
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 10698
Joined: September 26, 2003 12:47 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: North Carolina

Re: Gulf Coast Concert, no real relief for the Gulf.

Post by gingerbreadman »

To me, it is clear that RinglingRingling first completely twisted Migration Michelle's post out of context and showed condescension and unnecessary and blatant personal attacks. Which obviously continued on and on...

Initially I figured that within an hour or two, the powers that be, would have the official position turned around into a "don't attack poor RinglingRingling, he just calls them as he sees them".

I was wrong... it took over 6 hours. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey Snake, we need more wine!

Image

Locked