Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Posts: 787
Joined: April 2, 2010 12:09 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos
Location: Southeast of Disorder

Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by capnbobby »

Hey, Parrotheads!

I wanted to start a thread where we could share our thoughts about yesterday's show in Gulf Shores. I'll start, and please add your own.

1. I thought the show revealed a Gulf Shores that looked visitable and open for business. Both beach and Gulf looked good!
2. I really enjoyed the rendition of "Come Monday" and was thinking, during it, what a great, classic song it is.
3. I really enjoyed Buffett's guests: Will Kimbrough, Jesse Winchester, and Allen Toussaint. I loved Winchester's rendition of "Rhumba Man" and Toussaint's "Yes We Can." After the show, I visited the itunes store and was happy to see they have all kinds of albums by Winchester and Toussaint. I'll be adding items to my collection soon by both of them.
4. And, like everybody else, I think, I really enjoyed Buffett's reworking of "When the Coast Is Clear." To me it felt very much from the heart.
5. I have major T-shirt envy. I really want one of those yellow One Love One Ocean T-shirts Buffett was wearing. As far as I know, Lulu's only has them in blue.
6. Margret and I watched the show live streamed on CMT.com. In the part of Florida we live, our cable non-provider doesn't carry CMT. The live feed was watchable, but they were having problems with it. It kept doing that Matrix-like melting stuff that digital sometimes does, if you know what the hell I mean.
7. I thought it was a great show. I thought it was a special show. And I do hope they come out with a dvd version of it. I'd like to have a copy of it for all times.

Best wishes, Phlock!
Enjoy the homerun derby tonight!
capnbobby

Please add your thoughts to this post . . .

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Posts: 30366
Joined: September 7, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10
Location: Middle of the Mitten

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by nutmeg »

I loved the concert. The venue looked lovely. Couldn't get better than a concert on the beach.

I loved the new "Coast is Clear". However I just got a call from my sister who said she watched and "while Jimmy is a great entertainer, he sure isn't much of a singer" :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's a good thing I love her dearly :P
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50490
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by ph4ever »

I've heard Jimmy say he's not much of a singer though. :lol:
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

Image


I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 11011
Joined: January 20, 2006 3:38 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose
Location: A PO Box and a 4 way stop

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by ScarletB »

He was also clearly choked up, and he wasn't the only one... :cry:
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

mason
Hoot!
Posts: 2027
Joined: April 28, 2002 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: san jose, ca
Contact:

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by mason »

nutmeg wrote:I loved the concert. The venue looked lovely. Couldn't get better than a concert on the beach.

I loved the new "Coast is Clear". However I just got a call from my sister who said she watched and "while Jimmy is a great entertainer, he sure isn't much of a singer" :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's a good thing I love her dearly :P
i thought jimmy seemed very emotional while singing that song. perhaps a little help from nadira would have helped. other than that, jimmy was in a great voice and spirits i thought.

:D :) :o :-? 8) :lol: :P :oops: :roll: :wink: :pirate: [smilie=asa.gif] [smilie=beadygrinner.gif] [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

"yes, we have been here before"

member of the parrothead nation

Dr.Corona
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6301
Joined: May 8, 2002 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!
Location: The Great Lake State !

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by Dr.Corona »

Overhead views were amazing! Was half expecting gates to have that "crashed through" look but didn't seem that way.
Appeared to be a great ocean breeze comin' though as well. Hope the phans felt it. 8)
Image
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

JollyMon66
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6357
Joined: October 14, 2009 9:38 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito
Location: Lititz PA

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by JollyMon66 »

I LOVED the show and location. Getting to the Gulf Coast is by far not the most convenient beach when you live in PA but it made me want to tell the wife and kids to pack thier bags.

Musically...great to hear the old version of Pirate. Great guests and great chemistry on stage. Great close ups of Tina & Nadera (sorry that's a bit piggish but the truth :pirate: ). Great set list. I can't think this was anything but a big [smilie=coolup.gif] for the Gulf region. I think it's rare in this day to have something live up to the expectation and hype. In my opinion this show exceeded my expections. I hope they release a complete DVD of the show....CMT certainly recorded the rest of the show.

Other reflections....although the guests were great I still sat there and thought "what would it be like if Zac and Kenny where here?". Personally I really like both performers and would have loved to see both of them on stage with Jimmy. I think the chemistry with a huge crowd like that and Jimmy and Kenny would have been pretty special.

We'll be at the August 7 Camden show and we're hoping to leave there with the same feeling. :D
Image Image Image
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane ...

Whodat81
I have found me a home
Posts: 164
Joined: May 8, 2008 9:47 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Bloody Mary
Location: Sportsman's Paradise

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by Whodat81 »

the show was excellent. I am not sure if anyone has talked about this but i will applaud the good people of Gulf shores and the concert organizers for giving free water at the show. my thoughts - HOT, good people, lots of smiles, no worries, good music, Allen Toussaint doing yes we can was AWSOME. I will post pics soon..(even though i was a half mile back!
You Can't Take It With You When You Go
- Allman Brothers

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Posts: 7634
Joined: February 16, 2005 7:07 pm
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre
Location: Living in a van down by the river

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by Tequila Revenge »

ScarletB wrote:He was also clearly choked up, and he wasn't the only one... :cry:

The song brought leaky eye syndrone to our living room, including my 6'-3" stud muffin 28 year old. He'd beat the poop out of me for posting this, so don't say anything.... PLEASE :wink:

GREAT CONCERT!!! Jimmy's much more than an entertainer. I agree with others who call him a poet. Jimmy's emotional delivery and content of that concert was amazing. My wife spent a good portion of her childhood down there as a Navy kid. She really connected with the entire event.

I'm just a p*** off tree hugger, tired of big oil getting away with murder.
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos
Posts: 45861
Joined: May 1, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: In the hammock...under my lone palm
Contact:

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

Tequila Revenge wrote:
ScarletB wrote:He was also clearly choked up, and he wasn't the only one... :cry:

The song brought leaky eye syndrone to our living room, including my 6'-3" stud muffin 28 year old. He'd beat the poop out of me for posting this, so don't say anything.... PLEASE :wink:

GREAT CONCERT!!! Jimmy's much more than an entertainer. I agree with others who call him a poet. Jimmy's emotional delivery and content of that concert was amazing. My wife spent a good portion of her childhood down there as a Navy kid. She really connected with the entire event.

I'm just a p*** off tree hugger, tired of big oil getting away with murder.
Tell you what...my silence can be bought with wine... :wink: [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
Image

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Posts: 76378
Joined: January 11, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wherever the Music is Playing

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Even sitting at home: for most of the show - and most certainly during When The Coast Is Clear - I had the same over the top emotional reaction I had during the City of New Orleans encore at Wrigley. Overwhelmed...
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

ParrotHeadInThe Making
License to Chill
Posts: 1192
Joined: August 27, 2007 7:16 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tides
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: The drink that is in my hand
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by ParrotHeadInThe Making »

Well, what can I say?

The concert was an absolutely perfect Sunday evening spent in my living room, drinking margaritas, and just enjoying the show.

I wish that the Zac Brown band could have made it to the show, but still, the talent on that stage was fantastic.

The Coast Is Clear, well, need I say more. Yes, I will. It was a tear jerker to say the least. I belong to my church praise and worship band, and when we are warming up and doing sound check, one of our guitarists plays The Coast Is Clear. I am going to make him play it during sound check this week, and I will try to sing the new version as I must warm up before rehearsal begins. No, it won't be Jimmy, but what a telling song that expresses so many of the emotions felt in the gulf right now.

Also, I have been wanting to hear Biloxi live, and I got my wish last night. Jimmy and Jesse Winchester did awesome on that song.

Yes We Can totally rocked.

It was an awesome show, and it is my hope and wish that a DVD could be made of this show and that sales from the dVD could go to helping out the gulf businesses or to helping out places that are trying to save the wild life from the oil.
Liz Ulrich and guide dog Princess Hope
http://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.ulrich1

Here we are, maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do
It's the child in us we really value
Here we are, with our fins up and our feathers flashing
Here we are, with our coconut shell brassieres chanting

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Posts: 7634
Joined: February 16, 2005 7:07 pm
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre
Location: Living in a van down by the river

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by Tequila Revenge »

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
Tequila Revenge wrote:
ScarletB wrote:He was also clearly choked up, and he wasn't the only one... :cry:

The song brought leaky eye syndrone to our living room, including my 6'-3" stud muffin 28 year old. He'd beat the poop out of me for posting this, so don't say anything.... PLEASE :wink:

GREAT CONCERT!!! Jimmy's much more than an entertainer. I agree with others who call him a poet. Jimmy's emotional delivery and content of that concert was amazing. My wife spent a good portion of her childhood down there as a Navy kid. She really connected with the entire event.

I'm just a p*** off tree hugger, tired of big oil getting away with murder.
Tell you what...my silence can be bought with wine... :wink: [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
28 cases of Viogner bottled yesterday and a gold medal at the state fair this year for the syrah/rhone blend :wink:
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 72668
Joined: June 17, 2005 7:36 am
Number of Concerts: 42
Location: Just like living in Paradise
Contact:

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by aeroparrot »

I loved the song Hangin' With Jimmy Buffett (I think that's the name).
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Image

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by RinglingRingling »

JollyMon66 wrote:I LOVED the show and location. Getting to the Gulf Coast is by far not the most convenient beach when you live in PA but it made me want to tell the wife and kids to pack thier bags.
Musically...great to hear the old version of Pirate. Great guests and great chemistry on stage. Great close ups of Tina & Nadera (sorry that's a bit piggish but the truth :pirate: ). Great set list. I can't think this was anything but a big [smilie=coolup.gif] for the Gulf region. I think it's rare in this day to have something live up to the expectation and hype. In my opinion this show exceeded my expections. I hope they release a complete DVD of the show....CMT certainly recorded the rest of the show.

Other reflections....although the guests were great I still sat there and thought "what would it be like if Zac and Kenny where here?". Personally I really like both performers and would have loved to see both of them on stage with Jimmy. I think the chemistry with a huge crowd like that and Jimmy and Kenny would have been pretty special.

We'll be at the August 7 Camden show and we're hoping to leave there with the same feeling. :D
I81 to Knoxville, I59 to Birmingham, I65 to Mobile. I10 over to 59, turn right, take the Foley Expressway.

Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Posts: 8095
Joined: August 4, 2006 10:26 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 42
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller
Location: Charleston SC

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

Hearing Biloxi and Blame it on N.O. Was amazing! How many times will we hear those live? Many leaky eyes all around during Coast is Clear.
It was HOT HOT HOT but I tailgated in a pool so I will not complain....lots of folks had it way worse. We were blessed with VIP passes and will be always grateful to Charlotte for thinking of us.
Overall the weekend way magical.....now if I can just get out of the ATL airport. Flight delayed until 1:30 am. : )
'17-CHS
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 64362
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by LIPH »

Is this place still open?

It was great seeing everyone, most of you again but some for the first time.

Thanks to Charlotte for the VIP pass. I gave my 2 extra tickets to 2 women who said they had 6 people in their group but only had 4 tickets. They asked me what I wanted for them and I said "the next time you hear someone complaining about how rude and obnoxious New Yorkers are, tell them we're not all like that." We are, but they don't know that.

Great show, even without the people who were originally supposed to be there. I missed Sonny Landreth but I'm not a big Kenny Chesney fan. (Is that an oxymoron? "Big" and "Kenny Chesney"?) Zac Brown has a few good songs but I'm not pitching a tent in my shorts waiting to see him play.

Will Kimbrough was on fire on the guitar, great to have him dueting with Jimmy on Nobody From Nowhere. Loved hearing Jesse Winchester do Rhumba Man. Allen Toussaint should be declared a national monument, he's that good. And he's such a classy man.

While he was doing it, I posted on Facebook "Great new version of When The Coast Is Clear." I'm not the sentimental type, but it was wonderful.

I've seen Buffett about 125 times now and at the end of the show I said I was going out on a limb, but this may have been the best show I've seen.

One of the rumors I heard was that Kid Rock was supposed to be there. I'm a little disappointed he didn't show up. How great would it have been to hear Kid and Jimmy doing Cadillac Pu**y or You Never Met A Mother F**ker Quite Like Me?

One last thing, I checked weather.com on my Blackberry during the show. It wasn't just hot, it was mother f**kin' hot. It was 94 and the heat index was 112.

Bye again
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Posts: 63423
Joined: April 13, 2006 2:32 am
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)
Contact:

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by flipflopgirl »

I will post more tomorrow.....just got home and i am exhausted!!! This was my 59th show and i am with Larry........i think it was the best one....Buffett on the beach.......a beach that he went to growing up! great weekend with great friends! :D
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

Wildh2oskier
If we weren't all crazy ...
Posts: 545
Joined: February 9, 2008 6:43 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: There is no way to pick just one.
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with whiskey in it
Location: Central Alabama, center of the state middle of nowhere

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by Wildh2oskier »

Just got in while ago and just finished watching the TIVOvision of the broadcast. I haven't seen near as many shows as many of you have but I agree this was by far and away the best. If Jimmy has not gone completely senile and lost all his business senses he should make Gulf Shores on the beach a regular stop on his too few remaining tours. Imagine if parrotheads had more than a couple of weeks to plan and prep the party that would/should be. I'd be willing to buy a ticket or more for the family.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Posts: 76378
Joined: January 11, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wherever the Music is Playing

Re: Thoughts About The Show in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

LIPH wrote:Is this place still open?

It was great seeing everyone, most of you again but some for the first time.

Thanks to Charlotte for the VIP pass. I gave my 2 extra tickets to 2 women who said they had 6 people in their group but only had 4 tickets. They asked me what I wanted for them and I said "the next time you hear someone complaining about how rude and obnoxious New Yorkers are, tell them we're not all like that." We are, but they don't know that.

Great show, even without the people who were originally supposed to be there. I missed Sonny Landreth but I'm not a big Kenny Chesney fan. (Is that an oxymoron? "Big" and "Kenny Chesney"?) Zac Brown has a few good songs but I'm not pitching a tent in my shorts waiting to see him play.

Will Kimbrough was on fire on the guitar, great to have him dueting with Jimmy on Nobody From Nowhere. Loved hearing Jesse Winchester do Rhumba Man. Allen Toussaint should be declared a national monument, he's that good. And he's such a classy man.

While he was doing it, I posted on Facebook "Great new version of When The Coast Is Clear." I'm not the sentimental type, but it was wonderful.

I've seen Buffett about 125 times now and at the end of the show I said I was going out on a limb, but this may have been the best show I've seen.

One of the rumors I heard was that Kid Rock was supposed to be there. I'm a little disappointed he didn't show up. How great would it have been to hear Kid and Jimmy doing Cadillac Pu**y or You Never Met A Mother F**ker Quite Like Me?

One last thing, I checked weather.com on my Blackberry during the show. It wasn't just hot, it was mother f**kin' hot. It was 94 and the heat index was 112.

Bye again
Great rundown Larry, thanks. Delete that last line and it'll be perfect.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

Post Reply