Greenbrier classic

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Re: Greenbrier classic

Post by jbfinscj »

LIPH wrote:
kyhulagirl wrote:Opened with Summer time blues, most Songs you know by heart, back where i come from, knee deep followed by my favorite cover of Free/into the mystic (exactly how ZBB does it), 2 hour show, only one encore ended with margaritaville. Heard crowd total was 50-60,000. I personally enjoyed the show.
Maybe it's just me, but a comment like this just makes no sense. It's one thing if a musician chooses to cover some other musician's song but at least try to put your own spin on it. To cover a song and do it "exactly how ZBB does it," I mean, what's the point? Go to a Zac Brown concert or buy a Zac Brown CD if you want to hear a Zac Brown song exactly how he does it.

Yep
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

2muchcoffeeman
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 4
Favorite Boat Drink: ¡Cuba Libre!

Post by 2muchcoffeeman »

surfpirate wrote:
Dr.Corona wrote:
PeretHed66 wrote:We went. Short show, about 1:45. Basically a greatest hits show. Our guess, attendance over 50,000. Huge lawn. Sound surprisingly good. Will post the songs, but won't be in order, wasn't noting them during show. Going to be heading over to the sound check for the Mac show, so will post
later.
:o :o :o :o
Much of the crowd left at halftime when the score was
Mountaineers 42 Coral Reefers 3
Those poor couches ...

I know I left that doggone dotsig around here somewhere ...

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

jbfinscj wrote:
LIPH wrote:
kyhulagirl wrote:Opened with Summer time blues, most Songs you know by heart, back where i come from, knee deep followed by my favorite cover of Free/into the mystic (exactly how ZBB does it), 2 hour show, only one encore ended with margaritaville. Heard crowd total was 50-60,000. I personally enjoyed the show.
Maybe it's just me, but a comment like this just makes no sense. It's one thing if a musician chooses to cover some other musician's song but at least try to put your own spin on it. To cover a song and do it "exactly how ZBB does it," I mean, what's the point? Go to a Zac Brown concert or buy a Zac Brown CD if you want to hear a Zac Brown song exactly how he does it.

Yep
Let's mot forget this was at a Golf Tournament, not a scheduled tour stop , 90% of the people there probably was hearing him live for the 1st time. So he was going to play the yellow album and other songs that are known by the audience. The Travelers in Connecticut has concerts after golf on 2 nights , can't remember this year , I know one was Huey Lewis last year , concert was free if you had tickets to that round. Good way to generate income for the slower days , 1st and 2nd rounds.

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

TommyBahama wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
LIPH wrote:

Yep
Let's mot forget this was at a Golf Tournament, not a scheduled tour stop , 90% of the people there probably was hearing him live for the 1st time. So he was going to play the yellow album and other songs that are known by the audience. The Travelers in Connecticut has concerts after golf on 2 nights , can't remember this year , I know one was Huey Lewis last year , concert was free if you had tickets to that round. Good way to generate income for the slower days , 1st and 2nd rounds.
Free/Into to the mystic is being performed the way Jimmy and Zac Brown did it on the Crossroads episode, Jimmy has explained this when introducing the song at each show this year

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

urlcenter wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
LIPH wrote:

Yep
Free/Into to the mystic is being performed the way Jimmy and Zac Brown did it on the Crossroads episode, Jimmy has explained this when introducing the song at each show this year
Which, with the obvious addition of Buffett's vocals, doesn't differ all that much from the Zac Brown Band version.

kyhulagirl
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour/Fruitcakes
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Mango Margarita

Post by kyhulagirl »

I enjoyed it bc i love that combo song, i don't care who sings it, im a huge zbb fan and zamily member, but i think it was good to incorporate most of the band, nadirah, peter, and mac also sang in on it. i would love to hear anything that's not on songs you know by heart, i'm one dedicated parrothead and regardless of the same ole same set lists, i will always love the vibe and energy i have at every single Jimmy concert I attend! Fins Up!

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I guess I just don't understand the concept of going to a concert and hoping, or expecting, the performer to play other people's songs instead. If I wanted to hear other people's songs I'd go to other people's concerts. As an example, I saw Gregg Allman at the House of Blues last year. I knew he was going to play some Allman Brothers songs but I wasn't expecting him to play other southern rock bands' songs just because he plays southern rock. The Black Crowes were compared to The Rolling Stones early in their career. When I saw them, I wasn't expecting them to play any Stones songs. Gregg didn't play other southern rock bands' songs, the Crowes didn't play Stones songs. They didn't disappoint. In recent years, Buffett has, more often than not, disappointed by not playing the songs that made me a fan in the first place. I became a Jimmy Buffett fan because I liked Jimmy Buffett's music. I'm not a Zac Brown fan, I don't have a man crush on him like Buffett apparently does, and when I go to a Buffett concert I don't need to hear one, let alone 2, Zac Brown songs at every freaking concert. If Buffett has so little regard for the music that made people fans in the first place, maybe it's time to hang it up before he degenerates into a lounge act. If I want to hear a cover band I could go to a bar and hear a local band for a lot less money. Your mileage may vary.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

You are correct in your theory but are also part of the reason (as am I and most others members of this board) why he keeps doing it. As I said on a different thread, he knows that we will keep going back to his concerts so he keeps feeding the part-timers what they want so that they'll keep coming back. He plays songs EVERYONE knows to appeal to everyone. The problem is we are too faithful to him sometimes. I have made the choice that I will go to another concert this year despite that because I still enjoy it. As long as we keep going, he has no reason to change (in my own opinion).
LIPH wrote:I guess I just don't understand the concept of going to a concert and hoping, or expecting, the performer to play other people's songs instead. If I wanted to hear other people's songs I'd go to other people's concerts. As an example, I saw Gregg Allman at the House of Blues last year. I knew he was going to play some Allman Brothers songs but I wasn't expecting him to play other southern rock bands' songs just because he plays southern rock. The Black Crowes were compared to The Rolling Stones early in their career. When I saw them, I wasn't expecting them to play any Stones songs. Gregg didn't play other southern rock bands' songs, the Crowes didn't play Stones songs. They didn't disappoint. In recent years, Buffett has, more often than not, disappointed by not playing the songs that made me a fan in the first place. I became a Jimmy Buffett fan because I liked Jimmy Buffett's music. I'm not a Zac Brown fan, I don't have a man crush on him like Buffett apparently does, and when I go to a Buffett concert I don't need to hear one, let alone 2, Zac Brown songs at every freaking concert. If Buffett has so little regard for the music that made people fans in the first place, maybe it's time to hang it up before he degenerates into a lounge act. If I want to hear a cover band I could go to a bar and hear a local band for a lot less money. Your mileage may vary.
Last edited by ParrotHead67 on July 8, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I gotta go where it's warm!"

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Buffett's always had a thing for covers and there's really nothing inherently the matter with that, especially if an artist is able to put their own unique spin on them but it appears they have taken over his setlists in a way that detracts from them, rather than adding to them. Is it something the casual fan notices? Maybe not but it's certainly something that a great deal of folks have picked up on here.

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote:Buffett's always had a thing for covers and there's really nothing inherently the matter with that, especially if an artist is able to put their own unique spin on them but it appears they have taken over his setlists in a way that detracts from them, rather than adding to them. Is it something the casual fan notices? Maybe not but it's certainly something that a great deal of folks have picked up on here.
What he said.
More Doyle!