In defense of Jimmy Buffett's Set Lists

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

In defense of Jimmy Buffett's Set Lists

Post by drunkpirate66 »

I would prefer it that Jimmy Buffett doesn't play cover songs. That being said, I also think that Jimmy Buffett has gotten too much of a negative reputation over the past few years in regards to his set lists. The fact is Jimmy Buffett is pretty much the only person of notable fame that tours annually. Even Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews take a year off on occasion. If Jimmy Buffett toured as frequently as, lets say, Bruce Springsteen or the Rolling Stones or the Foo Fighters or U2 or AC DC or Bon Jovi or or Usher or Madonna or the Red Hot Chili Peppers or the Rascal Flatts or (which is to say "not annually") then I doubt that song choice would be less of an issue and we all would psyched that the old man is back on the road.

But even being on the road annually there is still notable differences between each tour's set lists:

Great Woods in 2011 Jimmy played The Wino I Know, Boat Drinks, Off To See Lizard, Havana Daydreamin,' Life is Just a Tire Swing (!!!!!), Pasagoula Run, Cuban Crime of Passion, They Don't Dance Like Carmen, Peanut Butter Conspiracy, Great Filling Station Hold Up
Great Woods in 2012 Jimmy played Fruitcakes, Growing Older/Not Up, Savannah Fare You Well, King of Somewhere Hot, Piece of Work, Mermaid in the Night, Why Don't We Get Drunk, Chanson Pour Les Petits Enfants, etc
Great Woods in 2013 Jimmy played Kinja, Landfall, Morris's Nightmare, Ringling Ringling, La Vie Dansante, Tin Cup Chalice etc.
Great Woods In 2014 Jimmy played My Head Hurts . . . ., Pencil Thin Mustache, Jolly Man, Knee Deep, He Went To Paris, We Are the People, etc.

None of those songs are repeated over those 4 tours. 4 tours for most acts would be spread over about 10 years maybe more. Think about that.

Of the 26 songs Jimmy and band played in 2014 and of the 27 songs Jimmy and band played in 2013 and the 27 songs he played in 2012 and the 27 songs played in 2011 there were 14 + different songs (yes, including cover songs) played overall each of those years (at least at Great Woods).

If look far enough back into the Set List Database, back when Jimmy was a much younger man and supposedly not the money grubbing whore he is considered to be today he actually played fewer songs (21 songs or song per average throughout most of the early 1990's. Interestingly, this is when Jimmy was playing venues more than one night but playing "less" of a show).

So . . . yes the Set List changes - considerably! . . . yes, his tours are of similar or even greater quality than 20 years or more back, yes he still played the big "Yellow Album" hits even back then and has done so every year which people obviously like because he still fills massive arenas at ridiculously expensive tickets prices and does it, again, annually where some "big" acts struggle to sell cheaper tickets every 3 - 4 years because . . . hmmmmmm . . . perhaps the majority of people still think Jimmy is rocking hard even as he approaches 70.

The Buffettnews standard has become: no covers and minimize "Yellow Album" songs. That has NEVER existed during a Jimmy Buffett show unless you saw him back in the 1970s and even then I bet he still played a cover or two on occasion along with Margaritaville and Come Monday.

Take it for what its worth but really, if you don't think Jimmy changes up his set lists with songs from a variety of albums recorded out over 30 - 40 years of time and that we should all be grateful that Jimmy, being worth 100 ka - zillion dollars still gets his as$ on stage and doesn't mail it in with the same sh*t every year.
Last edited by drunkpirate66 on December 15, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: In defense of Jimmy Buffett's Set Lists

Post by lime rickie »

Are you...sober? :o

:lol: :lol: :P

Covers and Yellow Album songs are not the issue for this fan. Love some, like some, and loathe some of each. That would be true for any artist - they all have covers and bathroom break songs of their own, too. And anyone saying Jimmy and the band are phoning it in is crazy. They were tight and jamming at GW last summer.

I do wish he would pull more from the back wall. That's what those solo encores were about for me. I'm partial to the older stuff and the ballads anyway.

Part of the problem is also something we all love....by the time our show comes around we've heard it on RM/Set List several times already. But I would never want Jimmy to stop broadcasting the shows since so many of us can't get to them for one reason or another. And Set List is another great opportunity to interact with you fine folks. 8)

Either way, I hope he keeps coming around. It's just a fantastic weekend of friendship and music. Few other artists have inspired such a collective coming together. So are we like deadheads? 8) juggalos? :o Something else? :-?
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Totally sober. Many people repeatedly claim on this site that Jimmy's shows don't change (see Tampa thread) and that it is the same show every year. So very inaccurate to say the least.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

drunkpirate66 wrote:Totally sober. Many people repeatedly claim on this site that Jimmy's shows don't change (see Tampa thread). So very inaccurate to say the least.
I could tell. I'm not used to it. :lol: :lol: :P

Good thing we have you around to set us straight. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] Or something. :P

SeattleParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

Amen! About the only thing I disagree with is "Jimmy Buffett has gotten too much of a negative reputation over the past few years in regards to his set lists." I don't think the majority of the people attending his concerts complain much about the set list... people will always wish he sang their particular favorite, but you can't please all the people all the time. (And on BN, there are some that you can never please. :roll: )
There's a lot of grousing on BN about the cover songs, but who are you going to listen to, the paying customers who roar their approval at the opening bars of 'Southern Cross' or the freeloaders listening at home on the internet? When you listen to every concert on Radio Margaritaville, yeah there's gonna be some redundancy, but the paying customers who have waited a year or two (or maybe 24 if you're in Seattle :evil: ) to see Jimmy, every song is a treat. Every song.
Please Jimmy, come back to Seattle... I promise we won't complain about covers! (especially 'The Wind Cries Mary'!)
ImageImage

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." ~ Oscar Wilde
SPH

balcony girls
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by balcony girls »

. . I'm a fan of Jimmy - the man, the attitude, the friendship he has created . . . the whole 9 yards . . was, is, and always will be . .

. . like Lime said, yes, there are potty/beer break songs . . but, so what . . ? ?

. . as of right now, there's certainly no other performer that would hold my interest for 30+ years . .

. . my two cents . .
. . " and I finally disappear . . . . BUT NOT YET ! ! "

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

someone either is snowed in , has cabin fever or is just bored!!

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

TommyBahama wrote:someone either is snowed in , has cabin fever or is just bored!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Standing and clapping!

Amen, my phriend.

Fins up!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

palmettopirate
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

Could you repeat that please? :D
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.

Planosmith1
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Death Of An Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by Planosmith1 »

Amen brother!...great analysis and right on!

krusin1
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: loaded Corona

Post by krusin1 »

balcony girls wrote:. . I'm a fan of Jimmy - the man, the attitude, the friendship he has created . . . the whole 9 yards . . was, is, and always will be . .

. . like Lime said, yes, there are potty/beer break songs . . but, so what . . ? ?

. . as of right now, there's certainly no other performer that would hold my interest for 30+ years . .

. . my two cents . .

Well said. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" ~ Satchel Paige

ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

It is so refreshing to see a positive thread about Jimmy's playlist. There's a lot of passionate fans on here and we all want our personal tastes. Jimmy... keep doing what you've been doing. I'm happy as long as you are still doing. (Disclaimer... the previous statement may not have made much sense!) (Disclaimer #2... disclaimers work much better before the statement, not after, as I have just proved)
"I gotta go where it's warm!"

captainalex
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita
Location: St Thomas via passage on the leaky Tiki from Rochester, NY

Post by captainalex »

I don't post much but when I do it's because I agree with the in defense of the set list thread.
"Trying to reason with Hurricane Season!"

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Who are you and what have you done with Jon? :o

But seriously, I agree with you!! The year he finally hangs it up and stops touring none of us will care about the bygone setlists. We'll miss it.

BTW, we need a phlocking up here. Badly
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Who are you and what have you done with Jon? :o

But seriously, I agree with you!! The year he finally hangs it up and stops touring none of us will care about the bygone setlists. We'll miss it.

BTW, we need a phlocking up here. Badly
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

jbfins

Post by jbfins »

I am your prototypical set-list hater/complainer. I appreciate the effort you must have put in to make your point, which was not only informative but also persuasive.
"Some people never find it..."

Nighthawk
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

Just to throw my 3 cents in.... The Grateful Dead toured CONSTANTLY doing way more shows per a year than Jimmy does, for over 25 years. Every night they had a different setlist, usually 3 sets in one night. Jimmy has a vast catalog and a VERY talented band. They should be capable of pulling this off for at least one tour.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

I feel that one of the primary reasons people complain about the set lists is the advent of both Radio Margaritaville and more recently Margaritaville TV. The ability to listen to and as of this year watch all of Jimmy's show as lead to fans becoming overly familiar with the set lists for each show.
On this years tour Jimmy played 62 different songs including cover songs in just 26 shows broadcast on both RM and Margaritaville TV. (The two Paris shows have not been broadcast yet).

Still 62 different songs is better then none at all